• Keep Marner

Votes: 183 29.4%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 19 3.1%

• Total voters

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
I've said it before and I will say it again. Marner was Dubas guy cause of the analytics. With Tre as GM Nylander will pass Marner in the depth chart on the Leafs. Which will make Marner expendable. His game does not translate to the playoffs well at all. Very soft. Drop passes and turnovers kill the Leafs offense in the playoffs. Marner will want a raise and Tre will trade Marner this summer. Nylander will get less than Marner. Leafs will open up Mitch's 11M cap hit and re-sign Tavares for half hes making now. Leafs will have tons of cap to add players that are better for the Leafs in the playoffs than Marner. Marners points in the regular season and playoffs are all FLUFF. No real substance to it. Marner has not dominated a game in years in the playoffs.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I not telling hes better or not... just telling hes not a reason why leafs losing.

How many time laqfs was trailing last 3 years?

How many of those trail was result of 1 weak goal or even more allowed? Too much... when youre need to overcome of 1-2 weak goal every game youre playing and having to win your game with come back by scoring at least 4 goal, you will not win a lot of game...

Just watch this season... leafs gave up 1st goal every game, 3 of 5 goal allowed was weak, 1 was lucky and the last one wqs a save samsonov had to make. They needed everything to beat mtl, they needed a Woll the be fantastic and perfect remaining of the game to come back... and were in regular season without any pressure...

When youre goalie cost you 2 game every series like it was the case in every of last 4 series leafs played+ youre adding ability to opposite G to steal at least 1 game... thats meaning youre needing to win all 4 remaining game. After every one coming and trying to understand why leafs lost again.

The only good goalie had was Andersen but the problem was when andersen was healthy, leafs didn't really had the team to make a rund except second series vs Boston when leafs traded for Muzzin... after health issues started with him and leafs had no choice to move from him for that reason.

Personally my only hope to make a run in playoff, its Woll. For me marner can only help Woll to step up because hes the best leafs player defensive side of the puck. No body in leafs roster having as much impact defensivly than marner

Of course Marner is a reason why we lose every year. One of many. He’s one of the top 3 players on the team. Of course you can also blame the $1.5 million and under goaltending or lack of Yanni Gourde and Ross Colton support that can chip in while Marner has been neutralized. But the delta between Marner at the top of his game in the regular season and a Marner in Game 5, 6, 7… that gap needs to close.

Reactions: ToneDog

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
He's one of the handful players making top 20 salaries in this stupid cap world actually worth the money and people want to trade him?

A) We can't afford 4 forwards making $10M+ each, so someone has to go. JT and AM can't be traded, so it's Willie or Mitch.
B) Willie is the more mature player and though he doesn't (until recently) kill penalties he's more of a gamebreaker and less prone to boneheaded plays.
C) Mitch gets the points but as we've seen in tough series, he's not able to overcome the tight checking nor adapt his gameplay.
D) We BADLY need help on the blueline and the only assets the Leafs have that could realistically get a decent return are he and Willie. So take your pick.

If the Leafs had a recent track record of long playoff runs and were a legit Cup contender with this roster, no way I'd suggest trading him but they're not and something needs to change. Both in team complexion and cap allocation.

But you can be thankful that the only ones that want (or are even just willing) to trade Mitch are the fans and not Leafs management; I have no doubt he's staying and will be extended next Summer unless for some reason he wants out.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
People who think Marner is above criticism are the same people who still like Disney Star Wars content. You see what you want to see.

Marner is incredible and is the straw that stirs the drink on the Leafs. When he’s on, we’re on. Unfortunately for us, he’s got his Doug Gilmour dream living in his head and he cannot handle the pressure in the playoffs. We lose series again and again because our 2nd best player and main engine turns into a shadow of himself.

I don’t even believe it’s a “playoffs are for men” kind of thing, it’s his own demons that make him play scared. He dazzles in the regular season with HHOF level talent, and after piling up a few points in game 1 and 2 of a series, disappears. He deserves praise for winning us those games, we blew Tampa out twice BECAUSE Marner was on fire, but he deserves the criticism at the same time for doing nothing in the Florida series.

Shout out to the guy who mentioned Marner’s 3 points in the epic Columbus comeback. That’s the sort of thing that makes a franchise legend, but unfortunately Marner came out and sucked in Game 5, completely ruining the magic. There really is no questioning his talent, but it is completely fair to question the fact that this guy just cannot finish what he starts.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Yup.

...and does trading Marner make us better or worse for achieving that ourselves?

Thats why I post the REL numbers. We should talk about replacing net negative players and not a positive who was the MVP of our only series win.

If we had a Vasy that helped dragged us to cups and the same Marner doing the exact same things would be a hero even if he put up nothing in any elimination games the entire playoffs. Comes with being a winner in a team sport.

Philosophically I have no problem with trading Marner at all but I’m not saying to trade him as a mandate today or tomorrow… I also think you can win just about any trade and that comes down to good GM’ing. Our previous GM was adept at the Moneypuck fringes, added support at a good retail price but I wouldn’t say he was a classic horse trader who could pull off a Leeman-Gilmour.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
People who think Marner is above criticism are the same people who still like Disney Star Wars content. You see what you want to.

I find this analogy to be unusually insightful.

Some people do seem to be attached to our core players like they are main characters in some championship pursuit story arc but don’t seem to mind that they don’t actually get there or there’s real life time pressures year to year.

To extend the analogy it doesn’t seem to matter if we get the Empire Strikes Back every year.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Welcome!
Most see the value, it's really only a handful that don't. It's their redundancy that makes it seem like a greater volume, most just ignore them.
Most.... Looks at poll 68% say trade Marner, 28% keep. What is your definition of most?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I find this analogy to be unusually insightful.

Some people do seem to be attached to our core players like they are main characters in some championship pursuit story arc but don’t seem to mind that they don’t actually get there or there’s real life time pressures year to year.

To extend the analogy it doesn’t seem to matter if we get the Empire Strikes Back every year.
I thought it made no sense at all but I don't watch cartoons.
Not one person thinks he's above criticism. Some just tire of the same daily criticisms that for the most part don't make a lot of sense.

The froth that some hold for this kid is really strange, no other way to put it.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I've said it before and I will say it again. Marner was Dubas guy cause of the analytics. With Tre as GM Nylander will pass Marner in the depth chart on the Leafs. Which will make Marner expendable. His game does not translate to the playoffs well at all. Very soft. Drop passes and turnovers kill the Leafs offense in the playoffs. Marner will want a raise and Tre will trade Marner this summer. Nylander will get less than Marner. Leafs will open up Mitch's 11M cap hit and re-sign Tavares for half hes making now. Leafs will have tons of cap to add players that are better for the Leafs in the playoffs than Marner. Marners points in the regular season and playoffs are all FLUFF. No real substance to it. Marner has not dominated a game in years in the playoffs.

I don’t think Marner was a “Dubas” guy at all. If there was any player that summed up what Dubas was all about it’s Nylander. Transition player, who isn’t physical but great with his stick and can score, is also on a value contract. I think Marner caused a lot of headaches for Dubas. I think he was the guy Dubas wanted to trade and that ultimately got him fired. That’s because I think Marner is probably the most liked by the alumni and popular in the community as a local guy. MLSE probably would never sign off on the team deciding to move on him. I think they’d rather he ask out

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Game 6: 1-0 Montreal, 3rd period, Leafs up 3-2 in series, defensive expert Marner with too much time and space, leading to dagger goal against.

Game 7 - 0-0 Game, 1st period, series tied 3-3, defensive expert Marner with the giveaway leading to 1-0 Montreal goal.

Reactions: Arzak

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
You can win with a Woll but you have to have a solid D. Proven by Vegas last year. Our D needs a couple of upgrades. No way Brodie, Lily and Gio can survive in a third round IMO.

Im not sure if its true, overall expected goal from both team was the same in playoff...

we talked about vegas D but Hill did what Samsonov did not... he made great save a key time and pratically didn't gave up any weak goal...

Final result really affecting the way we see things...

Against habs , leafs allowed like 5 dangerous scoring chance and allowed 5 goal... we talked about how bad the team was defensivly...

Last game after a disaster from samsonov and leafs trailing early 3-1... at this moment it was, an other slow start from leafs. They was playing with no heart, they will lost again in playff... Woll step in and be great... what we retain of the game, how good woll, domi, knies and everyone was, joseph freaking Wa(o)ll...

The only difference was Samsonov made everyone around him looking worst and Woll everyone around him better by how hes played...leafs was not better in 3rd than they was in 1st... Woll gave a chance to leafs to stay in the gane and gave confidence to the guys in front.
Of course Marner is a reason why we lose every year. One of many. He’s one of the top 3 players on the team. Of course you can also blame the $1.5 million and under goaltending or lack of Yanni Gourde and Ross Colton support that can chip in while Marner has been neutralized. But the delta between Marner at the top of his game in the regular season and a Marner in Game 5, 6, 7… that gap needs to close.

Goalie you need to develop them on basically over 80% of the time or being lucky and be able to find the right guy at the right time like hill/kuemper

Having gourde or whatever will change nothing if you dont have goalie able to be clutch at the right time... leafs had oreilly, knies on 3rd line last season and thats changed absolutly nothing if your goalie still allowing bad goal everygame

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Game 6, overtime va Tampa bay, leafs up 3-2 in series, Marner, the defensive ace, with an opportunity for easy clear. Instead attempts a cross ice, flip pass to Matthews, puck picked off and Tampa scores. Take note of the urgency in Marners skating after he is beat on the counter attack:

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Im not sure if its true, overall expected goal from both team was the same in playoff...

we talked about vegas D but Hill did what Samsonov did not... he made great save a key time and pratically didn't gave up any weak goal...

Final result really affecting the way we see things...

Against habs , leafs allowed like 5 dangerous scoring chance and allowed 5 goal... we talked about how bad the team was defensivly...

Last game after a disaster from samsonov and leafs trailing early 3-1... at this moment it was, an other slow start from leafs. They was playing with no heart, they will lost again in playff... Woll step in and be great... what we retain of the game, how good woll, domi, knies and everyone was, joseph freaking Wa(o)ll...

The only difference was Samsonov made everyone around him looking worst and Woll everyone around him better by how hes played...leafs was not better in 3rd than they was in 1st... Woll gave a chance to leafs to stay in the gane and gave confidence to the guys in front.

Goalie you need to develop them on basically over 80% of the time or being lucky and be able to find the right guy at the right time like hill/kuemper

Having gourde or whatever will change nothing if you dont have goalie able to be clutch at the right time... leafs had oreilly, knies on 3rd line last season and thats changed absolutly nothing if your goalie still allowing bad goal everygame
Sure Sammy has been bad so far but if you think Leafs D is on par with Vegas' SC winning D, I disagree.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Game 6: 1-0 Montreal, 3rd period, Leafs up 3-2 in series, defensive expert Marner with too much time and space, leading to dagger goal against.

Game 7 - 0-0 Game, 1st period, series tied 3-3, defensive expert Marner with the giveaway leading to 1-0 Montreal goal.

You know you can take tape of crosby making mistake like that pretty easily too. Sure when youre trying nothing you will never make any mistake... thats just an hillarious comment

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
You know you can take tape of crosby making mistake like that pretty easily too. Sure when youre trying nothing you will never make any mistake... thats just an hillarious comment
In game 6 and 7 of elimination games in one series? Can you do it for back to back series?

If it's happened... Do show everyone. Show us all the same mistakes, made by Tavares, or Matthews... Because Marner apparently is treated unfairly.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Game 6, overtime va Tampa bay, leafs up 3-2 in series, Marner, the defensive ace, with an opportunity for easy clear. Instead attempts a cross ice, flip pass to Matthews, puck picked off and Tampa scores. Take note of the urgency in Marners skating after he is beat on the counter attack:

Nice check on Hagel along the boards, losing his stick at the same time. Give this guy a raise.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Sure Sammy has been bad so far but if you think Leafs D is on par with Vegas' SC winning D, I disagree.

Leafs Defencemen.... maybe not but leafs defensivly as a team, for me leafs was as good last season than vegas...

Defensive is about 5 PLAYERS on the ice not about 2

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
I thought it made no sense at all but I don't watch cartoons.
Not one person thinks he's above criticism. Some just tire of the same daily criticisms that for the most part don't make a lot of sense.

The froth that some hold for this kid is really strange, no other way to put it.
I have never understood how personal it seems for anyone about any player.

No one has taken more abuse over the past 7 years than Nylander, and I get that he can be frustrating but to hate him seems silly.

Holl too. He had some big faults but it wasn't his fault Keefe kept sending him out.

Murphey was the first time I can really remember fans taking it so personal when things are not working the way they expect it to.

Since then there has been a long list of players some just want to hate

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
In game 6 and 7 of elimination games in one series? Can you do it for back to back series?

If it's happened... Do show everyone. Show us all the same mistakes, made by Tavares, or Matthews... Because Marner apparently is treated unfairly.

You talked about an penalty and a turnover who gave up a weak scoring chance... pretty easy to find yes...

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I don’t even believe it’s a “playoffs are for men” kind of thing, it’s his own demons that make him play scared. He dazzles in the regular season with HHOF level talent, and after piling up a few points in game 1 and 2 of a series, disappears. He deserves praise for winning us those games, we blew Tampa out twice BECAUSE Marner was on fire, but he deserves the criticism at the same time for doing nothing in the Florida series.
Good way to put it.

It's also important to keep in perspective that Matthews is just as much to blame as well. He's been right there with Marner in playing bad at the most important times.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I think people have to remember Mitch was about as involved in his contract negotiations as he was in the development of the covid vaccine.

These guys all have agents and handlers who make all the decisions when it comes to contracts and to put it on Marner or Nylander or any other player is pure nonsense....and its a good thing they dont get involved. Have you seen these players IQ when it comes to anything non hockey related?

Thats kind of nuts. The fact so many hold a grudge against him for something he's not involved in wrapped up in the dumbest cap system in professional sports.
A player has full ability to keep the contract negotiations silent in the media on their end. Matthews and Nylander's camp both took this approach, the reason Nylander's was particularly frustrating is because they gave so little information while he was holding out. Turns out this is the best way to handle it in this market.

Marner's camp did the opposite. That camp almost directly leveraged the media. Saying the things in your post is easy to say in hindsight, the negotiations were a circus when they were happening.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Since 2021, Kucherov had 2 goal 4 assist in 14 decisive game

Marner had 1 goal 4 assist in 9 decisive game
I don't remember all these games by any stretch of the imagination but I do remember a few. I remember TB winning 1-0, and I remember several games where the Leafs went down early and desperately needed to score to catch up. I suspect a deep dive into these games might show that we were trailing for most of these games and desperately needed offence while TB just needed to clamp down defensively after they took the lead. If that's the case, then it's pretty silly to deduct points from Kucherov for not scoring when goals weren't needed.

I think it was zybalto who started this whole Kuch vs Marner thing to show that Marner isn't the only unclutch player in the league. I can't help but wonder how many players he had to sort through before he found a player to compare that wouldn't make Marner look bad? I can't be bothered to do the research but somehow I feel like if were to look at the other guys he's compared to like Pasta and Ranta, Marner would look pretty bad. I guess that's the problem with stats, if you can't trust that the guy posting the stats doesn't have an agenda, you can't trust the stats either.

Game 7 is not a biggest game than game 1... if youre needing a game 7 is because you was not good enough to close the serie before this

Winning game 1 2 3 4 is not worst than winning game 4 5 6 7. You need to win 4 game whatever what happening
I assume you meant to say "bigger", not "biggest". Either way, agree to disagree. Game 7 is so much bigger than game 1, it is the "biggest" game in any series and I'm shocked that anyone would suggest otherwise.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I have never understood how personal it seems for anyone about any player.

No one has taken more abuse over the past 7 years than Nylander, and I get that he can be frustrating but to hate him seems silly.

Holl too. He had some big faults but it wasn't his fault Keefe kept sending him out.

Murphey was the first time I can really remember fans taking it so personal when things are not working the way they expect it to.

Since then there has been a long list of players some just want to hate
Murphy was the worst, no doubt, that translated to the building.

With Nylander, Marner etc it's just a few here that really that just repeat the same things over and over again.
Somehow, Matthews escapes it.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
You talked about an penalty and a turnover who gave up a weak scoring chance... pretty easy to find yes...
How about the game 2 turnover vs Panthers where panthers made the game 3-2? .

The turnover is at 1:54 of the clip I posted below. Note that he has plenty of time to make a safe play, however, he stops skating, begins coasting, and looks backwards (broadcasting his next play) before passing backwards in his own zone.. The broadcast team "now Marner has an opportunity to get it out, instead, a risky play just inside your own line"

He followed that game up with what was called the worst game (game 3) of his Leaf career by some

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad