Votes: 420 67.5%
  • Keep Marner

Votes: 183 29.4%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 19 3.1%

• Total voters

Hoglund4MvP

Jan 26, 2022
League figure him out a bit. His strength peak and guys younger than him are catching up or passing him in strength now through development and training.

I'd trade him for a top 2 dman if other gm willing. Our D sucks after Rielly and Klingberg and these 2 mostly for points too. What about actual defense. We have none. Marner is only trade chip that can afford top D.

Nylander approach 30 years old and still getting stronger and faster. I stopped seeing growth in marner a while ago he's not an athlete. He's only an athlete in term of skill in hockey. Same stuff every year skill makes him regular season star then he's useless after when game is for men.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
League figure him out a bit. His strength peak and guys younger than him are catching up or passing him in strength now through development and training.

I'd trade him for a top 2 dman if other gm willing. Our D sucks after Rielly and Klingberg and these 2 mostly for points too. What about actual defense. We have none. Marner is only trade chip that can afford top D.

Nylander approach 30 years old and still getting stronger and faster. I stopped seeing growth in marner a while ago he's not an athlete. He's only an athlete in term of skill in hockey. Same stuff every year skill makes him regular season star then he's useless after when game is for men.

Brodie was leading the league in xGF and has been an elite defender for years lol

Some of these posts are so god damn dumb lol. The league has not figured Marner out.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Not too worried about his point totals.

SF%: 58.95 (+8.74)
SCF%: 52.61 (+4.44)
HDCF%: 59.99 (+12.74)
xGF%: 62.12 (+12.03)

Elite underlying analytics pointing to bad puck luck for a stretch really. He usually starts slow offensively anyway and his defensive numbers are stellar.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I'm losing brain cells reading it. Somehow the best RW in the league over the past 5 seasons has been found out by the league because he somehow lost all his strength over the summer, and 5 games proves he sucks.
I think there will be a lot of disappointed people when Toronto resigns Marner for 6 or 7 years.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
What I meant was his current play to begin the season is starting to stir hate. People are just going to start looking foolish when he inevitably begins to take over the games soon. It's going to happen.
Yeah I agree with that. At the end of the season, it's likely the Leafs end up where they usually do, same goes for Marner and his point totals. I still say 120 for Marner is a long shot to say the least, more likely he ends up in the 90-110 range.

As for the playoffs, Marner is still in his prime. Among his peers he always stands out, and the strong veterans who over power him are only getting older. It's a clean slate for me every year due to his age. He has to actually choke in 23/24 for me to call him out. The past is the past. Marner is a conn Smythe candidate until he proves otherwise this season.
He hasn't stood out so much in the playoffs, at least not in a good way. There are already 4 seasons in the books where he's been paid 11 million and he's underachieved in the playoffs, if you're willing to give him a clean slate after that you're more generous than I am, that's for sure.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022

I disagree with lily not being mentioned he’s going to surprise a few people this year I guess

cipher

Jun 24, 2016
The mouth breathers are back in the Marner thread. He always starts slow and takes a while (8-10) games to get his legs moving and his confidence with the puck. Once he does, he becomes one of the best wingers in the NHL and an easy bet for 90-100 points.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
The mouth breathers are back in the Marner thread. He always starts slow and takes a while (8-10) games to get his legs moving and his confidence with the puck. Once he does, he becomes one of the best wingers in the NHL and an easy bet for 90-100 points.
90-100 for a 11 million dollar winger with 11 million dollar+ 4 time hart trophy nominee (1 time hart trophy winner) centers is not that impressive.... Just so your aware. He literally had as many even strength points as 4.7 million Tuch and 6 million Nelson last year.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
I'm losing brain cells reading it. Somehow the best RW in the league over the past 5 seasons has been found out by the league because he somehow lost all his strength over the summer, and 5 games proves he sucks.

Just out of curiosity, do you think he is better than Rantanen? Kucherov?

In your head, Pasta getting 113 points (56 points more than second on B' Marchand) while scoring 61 goals to McJesus 63 (while playing 300 min less than McJesus) still coudn't offset Mitch's elite PKing?

Just call him the best player in the league, why limit your madness to RWs ? Asking for a friend.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010

This sounds like the same gobblety-goop that you hear when people talk about the "tech" of a company right before it goes bankrupt due to fraud.

No, hockey has not changed significantly in the past few years lol.. if anything it has gotten way easier for offensive players like Marner with scoring going up league wide.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The entire tune on Marner would change ten fold if he would just agree to a Pastrnak type contract with term and everything. In fact 90% of the hate would probably disappear over night.

But no, he's going to demand atleast ~$2M more than Pastrnak and act like he's more comparable to Matthews and Mackinnon than reasonable winger comparisons. And we're supposed to be grateful for it.

Some of these higher producing wingers really gotta get on the PK because apparantly that shit adds atleast 2M to your contract asks.
:laugh: None of that has happened yet.
Pretty silly to make up a scenario and then rant about it.

Reactions: Arzak

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
No, hockey has not changed significantly in the past few years lol.. if anything it has gotten way easier for offensive players like Marner with scoring going up league wide.
Agreed. What also hasn't changed is that playoff hockey is significantly different from regular season hockey. Unfortunately, that's the issue with Marner - it's not clear that his game and/or his psyche is suited to the playoffs.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Marner is among the best, bit in no way can you say he is the best over the past 5 years.

Kuch, Pasta and Rantanen have all had = or greater success both in regular season and playoffs.

You could possibly even include Tkachuk

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix

In your head, Pasta getting 113 points (56 points more than second on B' Marchand) while scoring 61 goals to McJesus 63 (while playing 300 min less than McJesus) still coudn't offset Mitch's elite PKing?

Just call him the best player in the league, why limit your madness to RWs ? Asking for a friend.

He's much better defensively than any of Rantanen, Pastrnak, or Kucherov. Pretty simple.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

To be fair, he did say five years.

(The shorter the time span, the farther he drops down the list, and the closer Willy gets to passing him.)

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
To be fair, he did say five years.

(The shorter the time span, the farther he drops down the list, and the closer Willy gets to passing him.)
PPG over 5 years and Kuch and Pasta are still ahead. Pasta has actually produced more total points, Rantanen is right there with him.

The defensive aspect is where he could be argued into top spot, but playoff failures takes him back out.

Reactions: freshwind

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad