Value of: Mitch Marner this offseason (2.5 mil retained)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Another idea: Smith, Pickering, Ilyin and a 2025 lottery protected 1st for Toronto?

That's pretty well aligned with the Kessel trade (some cap, Kapanen, Harrington and a 1st basically) and it doesn't have the Leafs taking a long-term deal like Rakell's.
Like I said, I don't love pickering as the big prospect. I think he'll be a solid 5d, but nothing more than that.

My favourite package you offered was easily the Pettersson + 1st + Koivunen. It's close but I think I'd prefer a RHD. Petterson to me has far more value than smith...

I get Marner hasn't performed in the playoffs, but he's still a 90+ point guy.

But once, I'd like to say your deals have been far better than the average in here.

Bond

May 10, 2012
Leafs fan will be underwhelmed if Marner is traded. Only decent value would be if another team wants to swap out a D in a hockey trade. Would the Panthers swap Ekblad or maybe the Kings would trade Doughty.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
If I’m Toronto, I’m not looking for fair value. I’m looking to dump him for the cap space. That frees them up to go after a good blueliner. They’ve wasted a lot of years and while the window is still open, you don’t want to blow another year.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I mean, all they are gonna get is cap dump value. His value has tanked since he signed that deal.
The Leafs are in tough with him and Tavares. Two players they probably don’t want anymore and might not be able to move. So much cash tied up there that could go to their blueline and in net.

The good news is it’s only one more year but still, burning another season is brutal.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
I mean, all they are gonna get is cap dump value. His value has tanked since he signed that deal.
That's silly, there are a lot of teams that would want a high end player to market. Leafs will get a solid return imo, probably from a bubble team or someone looking to come out of a rebuild.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
If I’m Toronto, I’m not looking for fair value. I’m looking to dump him for the cap space. That frees them up to go after a good blueliner. They’ve wasted a lot of years and while the window is still open, you don’t want to blow another year.

They actually have about 20 million in cap space. They have plenty for defence even with Marner

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
They actually have about 20 million in cap space. They have plenty for defence even with Marner
I’m sure they’ve got that 20 allocated for players they want to bring back. Maybe there’s extra cash but still man - imagine if they had 20 more million to spend.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I’m sure they’ve got that 20 allocated for players they want to bring back. Maybe there’s extra cash but still man - imagine if they had 20 more million to spend.

They pretty much do though. Take a look
IMG_0868.jpeg

They have 20.5 million to add 3 D 2f and a tandem goalie.

Cowan/robertson/grebs could fight for one spot and 1.5 million for a 3rd pair D.

So that’s about 18 million for 2 D. A goalie and a forward.

that’s pretty easily doable.

They absolutely do not need to trade Marner to address D.

I think he wants out

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
They pretty much do though. Take a look
View attachment 865648

They have 20.5 million to add 3 D 2f and a tandem goalie.

Cowan/robertson/grebs could fight for one spot and 1.5 million for a 3rd pair D.

So that’s about 18 million for 2 D. A goalie and a forward.

that’s pretty easily doable.

They absolutely do not need to trade Marner to address D.

I think he wants out
Okay. But it’s still a waste to have 20 mil tied up in players you don’t want. They could do a lot with that cash.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Okay. But it’s still a waste to have 20 mil tied up in players you don’t want. They could do a lot with that cash.

I’m not disagreeing. If they can fill a need do it. I’m just saying they don’t need to drop Marner to address a need. They also would have to spend the money.

Who would they spend 30 million on this year?

There is no Marner level talent in the UFA pool.

Reinhart isn’t coming here. If he did. If you could trade Marner for prospects and then get reinhart for free you do it.

But it doesn’t seem likely.

I’m thinking Seattle. Anaheim are options.

Both want to contend. Both want scoring.

Anaheim specially wants a right shot. Seattle has the no tax thing.

I could see either spot.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Marner is so gonna put all other 6 Canadian teams on his NTC List. book it.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
You’re not going to get any sort of fair value for him with a full no movement clause.

Look for a hockey trade or basically it’s gonna be a decent prospect and a decent player.

You might get a first rounder, but you’re not getting a top prospect and the first rounder, no chance

Reactions: duckpuck

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I’m not disagreeing. If they can fill a need do it. I’m just saying they don’t need to drop Marner to address a need. They also would have to spend the money.

Who would they spend 30 million on this year?

There is no Marner level talent in the UFA pool.

Reinhart isn’t coming here. If he did. If you could trade Marner for prospects and then get reinhart for free you do it.

But it doesn’t seem likely.

I’m thinking Seattle. Anaheim are options.

Both want to contend. Both want scoring.

Anaheim specially wants a right shot. Seattle has the no tax thing.

I could see either spot.
I’d go after a guy like Drew Doughty with that cap space. Look for teams who might be thinking rebuild and trade picks to get him. In some cases they naught be happy to get rid of the contract.

Maybe Doughty isn’t available- he’s just an example- but those are the kinds of things it opens up.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
If the Pens resign Crosby.

How about Karlsson for Marner. Pens then flip Marner at the deadline next year if they're out of playoff picture.
This is more like what I’m thinking, but the injury concerns for karlsson would make me second-guess

lawrence

May 19, 2012
You’re not going to get any sort of fair value for him with a full no movement clause.

Look for a hockey trade or basically it’s gonna be a decent prospect and a decent player.

You might get a first rounder, but you’re not getting a top prospect and the first rounder, no chance

Knowing Trev I think he's gonna try to make a hockey move rather than the traditional, prospect but 1st round pick plus random 25 year old roster for star player type of trade, similar to when he had to move Mathew Tkachuk.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Knowing Trev I think he's gonna try to make a hockey move rather than the traditional, prospect but 1st round pick plus random 25 year old roster for star player type of trade, similar to when he had to move Mathew Tkachuk.

Yeah, that will probably be how it goes for a couple of reasons...

1. The Leafs are trying to re-tool, not rebuild.

2. Any team that Marner agrees to go to is going to be one that he has an interest in signing with.

3. Any team that has an interest in signing Marner is going to need to make space for his future contract, regardless of what retention might be involved this year.

The challenge in all of us speculating on this... is that you've gotta find the intersection of teams Marner likes, teams that have the right kind of player or two to make this deal.

With Tkachuk, he had a ton of control because he made it clear who he'd like to resign with... but ultimately, a team who Tkachuk wasn't interested in could have traded for him, which meant Tkachuk had to be a bit more flexible to ensure he had control. Marner drives the bus here.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
If there’s one team in the NHL that can teach Marner how to win in the playoffs, it’s probably Vegas. Put Marner on an already stacked team where he’s not a top 3 offensive guy and he will excel. Marner can’t handle the pressure, he lashes out like a teenager and gets frustrated easily.

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
Pulock is a cap dump...
So is Marner for the Leafs.

If there’s one team in the NHL that can teach Marner how to win in the playoffs, it’s probably Vegas. Put Marner on an already stacked team where he’s not a top 3 offensive guy and he will excel. Marner can’t handle the pressure, he lashes out like a teenager and gets frustrated easily.
Vegas is in cap hell already. Who do they trade for Marner?

Oh, I forgot. Mr. Spleen back on LTIR…

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
I would be shocked if Marner started next season in a Leafs uniform. The writing is on the wall, he needs to be moved no matter what Treliving has to do to make it happen. This should be his #1 priority on his to do list. My prediction is that it won’t be a happy exit for Mitch.

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
Marner will fetch someone like Darnell Nurse in a trade. Similar high contract, not a #1 D

Other teams also see Marners massive flaws. Super skilled forward yes. But completely ineffective in postseason with tighter checking

He's like a higher priced Kessel
Phil Kessel who was a coin flip for the Conn Smythe one year?

Yes, years in hockey seasons.

We are talking about hockey right?
This has been embarrassing for you buddy, move on.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Leafs fans are going to be in for a shock when they see how little the return is for fancy dancing boy. Very few teams can afford his cap hit and couple that with another Dubas' infamous NMC and I can't wait to see the reaction Leafs fans have when the trade happens. The best part of the return other than getting fancy dancing boy off the roster is that it will likely be a salary dump kind of move that will clear $8 million or so to sign a free agent or two. Barrett Hayton + a 2nd or Vatrano plus a 3rd or something along those lines.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Leafs fans are going to be in for a shock when they see how little the return is for fancy dancing boy. Very few teams can afford his cap hit and couple that with another Dubas' infamous NMC and I can't wait to see the reaction Leafs fans have when the trade happens. The best part of the return other than getting fancy dancing boy off the roster is that it will likely be a salary dump kind of move that will clear $8 million or so to sign a free agent or two. Barrett Hayton + a 2nd or Vatrano plus a 3rd or something along those lines.

What people are forgetting even in this scenario is as of July 2 he is owed league minimum salary.

Marner at 775 k in real money is insane value.

You could also easily use a 3rd party to get the cap hit to under 6. There is no money attached to the deal

No way it is a cap dump.

Anaheim specifically looking for a top line right shot winger according to verbeek.

Seattle wants a top line scorer and is going to have to part with prospects they don’t want to according to francis

NYI. Need scoring
Detroit need a rw
Vegas too.

Lots of options depending on where he would want to go.

Phil Kessel who was a coin flip for the Conn Smythe one year?

This has been embarrassing for you buddy, move on.

Yes. Hf boards perception of kessel was entirely accurate lol

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
What people are forgetting even in this scenario is as of July 2 he is owed league minimum salary.

Marner at 775 k in real money is insane value.

You could also easily use a 3rd party to get the cap hit to under 6. There is no money attached to the deal

No way it is a cap dump.

Anaheim specifically looking for a top line right shot winger according to verbeek.

Seattle wants a top line scorer and is going to have to part with prospects they don’t want to according to francis

NYI. Need scoring
Detroit need a rw
Vegas too.

Lots of options depending on where he would want to go.

Yes. Hf boards perception of kessel was entirely accurate lol
Marner is about as far opposite you can get from a Verbeek type player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad