• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Shanahan....

- Fire league's most experienced GM.
-Hire one of the modt inexperienced GMs ever, Dubas. Right when Core 4 contracts are needed.
-Sign Dubas so his contract runs out when the Core 4 contracts run out or become NMC
- Fire dubas and hire new gm right before contracts of Core 3 are needed.
- Don't fire head coach or move core 2 without nmc's.
- Core 3 nmc kick in
- Sign Nylander for more than market value.
- fail again
- Fire coach.
- Proclaim that big changes will happen
....can't move anyone because of nmc's.

I predicted exactly this would play out at the end of Dubas last season when Dubas was let go.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
How much do you think Knies is getting paid? 5/6 million?
Depends on what you expect tbh

If he is a 35-45 point player next year too then I’d say that’s a bit rich, but if he’s going to become a 55-65 point power forward than he might be getting more

I have him closer to 50 points as his prime, maybe a peak of 60, so long term I do believe it would be around 5-6

Reactions: arso40

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Depends on his season, but I could see a $2M raise being possible. Couple that with Woll's $3M raise and that eats up most of the $5-6M the poster I was responding to suggested may be available depending on how JT is handled next season.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Depends on his season, but I could see a $2M raise being possible. Couple that with Woll's $3M raise and that eats up most of the $5-6M the poster I was responding to suggested may be available depending on how JT is handled next season.

well the cap is raising again next season. So I think Woll and Knies' raises take up the cap raise, not JT and potentially marner's money.

Reactions: CincoHolio

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Chris Johnston:
  • Surprised that they went this route again - it's not just the losing, but the predictable way they keep losing. It's the same every time.
  • Wonders if a lot of what was said at the end of season presser (about change) was just lip service to a marketplace that needed to hear that.
  • Mentions Keith Pelley said "he's not here to sell sweaters" - points out that nothing that they've done suggests they're about winning a cup.
  • Believes main reason why Canadian teams in general don't win cups, is because they don't need to - Leafs are top 3 in revenue every year. Successful regular season team, with guaranteed playoff gate revenue every year.
  • The Leafs didn't want to go to war with Marner
  • Marner's camp wasn't approached for a list of teams.
  • Guentzel got $9M on the open market - Marner is younger, and has outperformed Guentzel in the regular season, so predicts that Marner could get more than Guentzel on the market open
  • Doesn't know if he would get $2M more than Guentzel as a free agent though
  • Thinks Marner tries too hard. Cares too much.
  • Doesn't think the Leafs are afraid of him or his representatives, but are afraid of the market. Scared of losing a trade.
  • They've made moves this summer, but they haven't vastly changed what the team is.
Whether you agree or disagree with any or all points, is there anything in there that hasn't been said a hundred times by somebody on this board over the last few months?

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Well either we re-up JT at 5-6 and only have 5-6 left or we have to find a 2C, best case we draft it, but realistically we are paying 6-8 for another 2C

Alternatively, whilst we have over the next 3-4 years
Rielly - Tanev
X - X (McCabe - Liljegren rn)
OEL - X (Benoit/Haakanpana)

I wouldn’t mind letting the three bracketed walk and grab a better couple of defenders. I am incredibly worried about the tanev term and how it ages even starting this year. OEL is a gamble, hopefully it works. Marner’s money could help grab a nice pairing

Also, for me it’s also a bit of the player vs the contract, I don’t know if you can win with Marner (or any of them) being a leader on the team, whether at 9 or at 14. Marners play just isn’t up to the level of his skill and talent so idk if he can be a driver on a cup winning team. So admittedly it’s not all cap reasons, but also some questions of the player too
Move Willy to 2C and sign JT for $3-4 as the 3C.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Marner is a lock to be a Career Leaf if he's not traded before game 1 of the regular season.

Assets like Marner don't walk for free. He will be extended long term @ the 12-13 mil he's asking for.

You guys have a few months left to mentally accept this and get over it.

It's true Marner has been a bit pathetic in the playoffs, maybe more than "a bit" at times, but it's also true he's still an amazing player and closer to superstar than he is all-star. So cheer up. Life can be much worse than running it back with a superstar, hoping he finally has a post-season breakout.
Another sad end to the season with this core will be the straw that breaks this camels back, if it isn't already. Its all just so stale at this point.

Reactions: ToneDog

myleafs

May 25, 2021
It's probably not as black and white as they put it there, but I would bet the Leafs' position makes them more cautious. I'm sure they want to win, but I'm sure they think very, very carefully about major moves.

Or in other words, I'm sure they want to win, but I'm also sure they even more don't want to go back to being the mid-2000s to mid-2010s team.
I find this argument curious when its brought up, like if we trade Marner we will revert back to those old dark days. Just maybe they can use that 11-12 m to add to the team. Why is it always the doom and gloom scenario when talking about 16 being dealt? Or as one other poster said if we let Marner go, the leafs have 0% chance of making the playoffs......really?

Reactions: ToneDog

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Probably the players that we spend his 11 million on.
Or maybe some better defence , or better upgrades at some of the other positions because you know what Marners points have gotten us so far……1 playoff round in 8 years
Hmm I count 9.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
CJ and I say this with the utmost love in my heart, is full of shit.
I’d agree, why would Leafs waste people’s time when they don’t even know if Marner would wave? If I was an opposing GM I wouldn’t even take the call if I knew Leafs had not even asked Marner if he would waive.

Reactions: Hellcat

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
The question is, do we think Keefe held him back with his game plan, and that Berube can change his game to a more playoff type game?

Keefe built everything around catering to Marner lol. Fast north south teams with violently quick execution dominate the cup the last few years and we’re still playing a slow east west offensive zone game so Marner can hold on to the puck around the perimeter and look for passes.

Reactions: arso40

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
If the plan is to let him walk, then they have to trade him before the deadline. It's fine to sit here in July and think that's feasible, but the clamour with the fan base and media frenzy will make it untenable if say we're here in Feb with no extension. We aren't doing a Sundin here imo, yes cap space is value but you're not going into the playoffs with this guy set to walk and you have no return. Something gives before the tdl.
I think this will go right up to training camp but training camp for the 2025/26 season. Mitch will start pretending he will sign elsewhere, Leafs pretending we don’t care we will let you walk. It’s negotiating.

Reactions: Hellcat

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Whether you agree or disagree with any or all points, is there anything in there that hasn't been said a hundred times by somebody on this board over the last few months?
There is not any there really at all, but for sure, it could have been lifted from the board.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Leafs need to hire a running back to be part of their management if that isn't obvious enough...:sarcasm:

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland
Nylander is probably my favourite player of the core 4 but they should have let him go to market. I don’t think any team was offering him $13.14x7 to match the $11.5x8 he got. If he walks then you replace him with Guentzel or Marchessault at a much lower cap hit then use the savings to upgrade the defence.

If Marner won’t waive then let him go to market. I rather use the $12 mill to take a run at Rantanen or the off chance that Drai makes it to free agency.
I guarantee you that rantanen and drai will resign with their respective teams
We don’t stand a chance and it’s a pipe dream

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland
This is the problem. Unless he scores 40 goals he is only worth 3/4 on his next contract.
We always overpay by a couple of million every contract we sign
Matthews isn’t worth his salary
Nylander is way above his worth
And marner and Tavares are both overpaid

We keep doing this to ourselves and Carry on like it’s business as usual

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland
This is the problem. Unless he
Keefe built everything around catering to Marner lol. Fast north south teams with violently quick execution dominate the cup the last few years and we’re still playing a slow east west offensive zone game so Marner can hold on to the puck around the perimeter and look for passes.
jesus what a straw argument lol
It’s bad when posters now are blaming marner for Keefe and his coaching style
Yep he said to Mitch
Hey Mitch what do you want to do tonight let me know so I can let the boys know lol
What a crock

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
You are an angry little fella, aren't you? Wanna a hug?

giphy.gif

Ok :DD

In line with Mitch's spam group. Proving my point , thanks. For the record, if Mitch is 180, I'm close to 315 :)

Plus you are confusing angry with hopeful. Hopeful, we'll get better results than the absolute playoff embarrassment this lil fella guarantees :DD

To quote Leafs players: "Stop f*#cking crying bruh" ;)

Reactions: Jmo89

Gaberd2608

Jul 14, 2022
I cannot see Brad letting Marner walk for nothing. He already experienced that with Gudreau. If Marner legitimately wants to stay and he cannot trade him I think be extends Marner.

I would assume Brad offers Marner the Nylander contract. 8 years x $11.5 million. Any other team would have to offer $13.14 over 7 years. I have a hard time seeing a team offer him $13+ million when Guentzel just signed 7 years x $9 million.

If he takes a short deal with another team (4 years x $12 years) he is going to have to make up the difference at 32 years old with his next/last contract.

I actually think Brad has him by the balls here. Marner will make the most money taking the Nylander contract. I am ignoring the taxes nonsense but the endorsement deals will more than make up for it.

The sad thing is if he takes the Nylander contract he will be seen as if he did us a favour.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
This is the problem. Unless he scores 40 goals he is only worth 3/4 on his next contract.
We always overpay by a couple of million every contract we sign
Matthews isn’t worth his salary
Nylander is way above his worth
And marner and Tavares are both overpaid

We keep doing this to ourselves and Carry on like it’s business as usual
nylanders way above his worth and marner and tavares are both overpaid?? why not say the three of them are either way above their worth or overpaid what does that mean exactly does that suggest that nylanders way more overpaid then the other 2??

Reactions: notDatsyuk
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad