Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Everyone's defensive games falls off when they play with JT. JT is a cement pilon that is great at faceoffs, board battles and net front work. Matty is one of the best shot blocking forwards, he is a take way machine. Mitch is one of the best thieves in the league.
True. Last 3 seasons, 200+ games, among forwards he's third in takeaways/60, behind only Malkin and Matthews (Nylander is 16th, JT is 110th).

He's also a bit of a giveaway machine. Last 3 seasons, 200+ games, among forwards he's 13th in giveaways/60 (JT is 18th, Matthews is 45th, and Nylander is 124th).

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
It’s a good time to think back to the playoffs and reflect on the core’s level of compete. Your eyes don’t lie.
All you need to do is watch game #7 OT. Keep your eyes on Marner coming off the bench, Willy in the middle and Rielly defending Pastrnak.

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017

You were saying?

THAT Mitch was one that gave me hope he was going to develop into a playoff warrior.

But that was 5 years ago. And more recent examples show a preference to shy away from difficult areas on the ice.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I don't think anybody needs to assess physiques to understand how it's likely Marner doesn't train much in the offseason.

I look at his physicality/strength on the ice. He is legitimately the easiest player to push around in the league, this is impossible to ignore when you actually watch him in the postseason.

You were saying?

Reactions: Antropovsky

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
All you need to do is watch game #7 OT. Keep your eyes on Marner coming off the bench, Willy in the middle and Rielly defending Pastrnak.
No, it’s not just one play. Watch the whole series and you’ll see that the core does not compete at a high enough level.

Then watch them when they’re trying to score 100 points or get their 70 th goal in shinny games where they other team doesn’t really care.

Last edited:

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
I don't think anybody needs to assess physiques to understand how it's likely Marner doesn't train much in the offseason.

I look at his physicality/strength on the ice. He is legitimately the easiest player to push around in the league, this is impossible to ignore when you actually watch him in the postseason.

It’s highly unlikely he is not training. It’s more likely he is focused on functional strength rather than bulk and pure strength.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
It’s highly unlikely he is not training. It’s more likely he is focused on functional strength rather than bulk and pure strength.
Maybe he should actually take his functional strength training seriously so he can be a little more functional come playoff time.

• Haha
Reactions: Kazparov and Petrus

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Everyone's defensive games falls off when they play with JT. JT is a cement pilon that is great at faceoffs, board battles and net front work. Matty is one of the best shot blocking forwards, he is a take way machine. Mitch is one of the best thieves in the league.

Never...
Acceptance is the first step.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
True. Last 3 seasons, 200+ games, among forwards he's third in takeaways/60, behind only Malkin and Matthews (Nylander is 16th, JT is 110th).

He's also a bit of a giveaway machine. Last 3 seasons, 200+ games, among forwards he's 13th in giveaways/60 (JT is 18th, Matthews is 45th, and Nylander is 124th).
Which players are 1-12?

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018

Kind of wierd that I saw nothing eggregious in any of your clips. Strange too that when talking about conditioning, folks like you ignore the crazy ice time he plays in a year.
As for strength, he is pound for pound pretty strong. One of his trainers commented on it a number of years ago.

bodechek

Oct 10, 2017
This has always been the hypocrisy of the studs and duds model.

It's a me-first top-down sport when it comes to their paycheques and their share of the capspace.

But when they fail every year, all of a sudden it's a team game again....a few guys can't do it on their own...and the need for greater depth and support is brought back to the forefront.

It's all been BS right from the start.
I agree with what you are saying, what I find really stupid is if they claim that they need great support and depth, they are the reasons why they don't have it! What NHL free agent veteran wants to play near the league minimum? If people are going to point out Matt Murray, given his age and history of injuries, he is pretty much done as an NHL goalie. People might point out he is in his early 30's, but as we age, it takes longer to recover from injuries. Take a look at the other veterans that were signed, it was way over a million. Sadly, these star players don't see the bigger picture, it is only about them.

Reactions: ToneDog

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
Maybe he should actually take his functional strength training seriously so he can be a little more functional come playoff time.

Marner is never going to be the player that will go to the boards first and absorb a hit to gain puck possession. That trait has probably been beaten into to him as a smallish player over the course of his playing career.

bodechek

Oct 10, 2017
If he's available I'm sure it's known.

Think you meant Matthews, followed by Nylander.
Them too, however, Mattews is a centerman, the team lacked a high calibre center for a long time after Sundin left. You are not going to quickly discard Mattews and Nylander was the only one of the big three to actually show up in the playoffs.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Kind of wierd that I saw nothing eggregious in any of your clips. Strange too that when talking about conditioning, folks like you ignore the crazy ice time he plays in a year.
Lol are you actually serious? Willingly avoiding contact is nothing "egregious"? Especially in a game 7 where every inch of ice can make the difference.

Please change your avatar.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
As for strength, he is pound for pound pretty strong. One of his trainers commented on it a number of years ago.
…and yet avoids contact and scrums like the plague. Also, still has a muffin shot.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Willingly avoiding contact is nothing "egregious"?
He didn't do that. He tried to get the puck. You just refuse to accept that getting plastered into the boards is in fact not always the best way to get the puck.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
You know when James Mirtle is finally calling you out for your soft non physical play, the rest of the world already knows.

This is about as weak of a play as you can see by a star player in a playoffs game. Absolutely wild effort by Marner #LeafsForever

While it is an affront to call any NHL player 'soft', since hockey is such an overtly physical game, Marner isn't doing himself any favours.

If the on-ice play wasn't telling enough, the analytics are even worse. While Auston Matthews' line was dominant, Marner's was laughably bad.

1720444730876.png

Something needs to change for the Maple Leafs to have a deep playoff run, and it starts with the Marner that makes $10,903,000 annually.

If you want to be paid like one of the best, you'd better play like it! Management is watching!

Last edited:

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
clearly the little manboy was hoping the big mean player was gonna miss the puck so he could take it....

little manboy was wrong unfortunately.

big meanie took the puck and little manboy was left looking like a fool.

again.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Marner is never going to be the player that will go to the boards first and absorb a hit to gain puck possession. That trait has probably been beaten into to him as a smallish player over the course of his playing career.
There are points in a game or series where you must sacrifice if you want to win. We saw Nylander avoid contact, down a goal with under 4 mins left in a game 7.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Lol are you actually serious? Willingly avoiding contact is nothing "egregious"? Especially in a game 7 where every inch of ice can make the difference.

Please change your avatar.
Its situational. On the first, Marner would have been on the north side of that hit. He would have taken himself out of the play with the puck headed south assuming the hit was a draw. That is pretty stupid hockey. You lay a hit when the puck is headed in the right direction unless you are new.

• Haha
Reactions: IPS and Nineteen67

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
There are points in a game or series where you must sacrifice if you want to win. We saw Nylander avoid contact, down a goal with under 4 mins left in a game 7.
You’re wrong! Competing is situational and depends on which way the compass is pointing.

To think, there are guys with their names on the Cup that could have used their hockey 101 lessons and avoided all the cuts and bruises.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
You’re wrong! Competing is situational and depends on which way the compass is pointing.

To think, there are guys with their names on the Cup that could have used their hockey 101 lessons and avoided all the cuts and bruises.
Quoting yourself is awkward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad