Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Haha honestly I’d just love Marner to have a great year from start to finish. Knowing him, if he’s healthy he’ll get his 100 points this year and I just want him, Matthews and Nylander to go on an absolute tear in the post season. Just prove everyone wrong, have a good playoffs and carry the mail and these narratives go away
We all been wishing that for the past 8 yrs.
Just had not happened yet.

Not saying he isn't the best.

I think it is idiotic to think he chooses what awards to win.
That’s how good he is.
Honestly, if he is on the Leafs, you will be saying the complete opposite.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
Marner looks about 175lbs in that photo.

Yep.. hockey players focus alot on their legs. Gives them stength on their feet.

Look at Matthews thighs in that photo, they look like a body builders.

There is a reason Marner falls from a light breeze and is often falling everywhere on the ice (especially playoffs).
He looks like he’s 160 lbs in that photo. He’s not very tall either.

Reactions: Antropovsky

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
That post was replying to someone who said if MM shoots more, he will get as many as AM.

I said shooting % will drop or increase with more shots and kind of no point using these on pace stats or expected stats.
Well there might be leakage but nobody really knows to what extent. To rank now the shots he hasn't taken as poor, as I'm quite sure sounds perfectly logical to a number of morons around here, is a bit like lunacy to the sober.

• Love
Reactions: Hellcat

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Well there might be leakage but nobody really knows to what extent. To rank now the shots he hasn't taken as poor, as I'm quite sure sounds perfectly logical to a number of morons around here, is a bit like lunacy to the sober.
Poor shot and weak shot at least to me are different things.
Poor shot has more to do with shooting in a bad position while weak shot is just not a good shot.
And any shots can be both.

Like someone shoot a 90mph shot, that’s a hard shot but if he shoots it behind the net, that’s a poor shot. This example is extreme but that’s my point.

MM rarely takes poor shot but his shot is weak. I don’t think anyone will come out and say MM got a great shot and his shooting is one of his strengths.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
To me, this is my own personal views not what I think why others in the forum think.

To me, his last two playoffs were just horrible, esp this last year. As I don’t like looking at career playoffs stats as metric as what a player done 5-8yrs ago had very little bearing as the player today. Like Bergy was amazing 5-8yrs ago and now he is retired.

Not sure I would call last year horrible, he had 14 points in 11 games. He looked shaky in the Fla series. Even McJesus has his off games, weeks, series. The standard for many is every game you have to be a robot, produce or for what ever obscure logic he must be banished.

Barely ever crosses the goal line in the playoffs

Barely still counts.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Pretty much puts the nail in the coffin for that dumbass argument. So now we've blamed the coach, Marner's teammates, AND the fanbase. Any chance Mitchy can just take some accountability in their minds yet?

Well done Antropovsky.

Take accountability alone? What did he do individually that he needs to take accountability for?

- Being the 10 highest points leader since the 2016 season?
- Being the 6th best setup guy since the 2016 season?

Shame on Mitch!

2023-24 Playoffs
Matthews 1 goal 3 assists - 5 games - CANT TRADE HIM !!!!
Bert 1 goal 3 assists - 7 games - OMGZ RESIGN HIM NOW!!!!!
JT - 1 goal 1 assists - FREE PASS!!!!!!!
Rielly - 3 assists - ELITE DEFENDER!!!!!!!

Mitch 1 goal and 2 assists ---- Send him to Mars!!!! Shoot him to the moon!!!!

There is a logical fallacy when one player scores 4 points and he is a must resign and another scores one less assist and he is a problem that needs to take accountability.

Posters are trying to make Mitch the individual scape goat for lack of team accomplishments. Individually his performance has been elite. I agree the team needs a different approach, different players, but assigning one person the blame when the person has been elite is illogical. I'd feel the same way if Nylander, Matty or JT were the individual whipping boys, one player is not going to dictate team success or failure over a long period, one coach will. If Mitch + has to go fine but assigning one player all the blame is really mindless pitch fork group think.

Last edited:

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
A video from 6 years ago?

Here he is 2 years ago, enjoying that long summer off.

It's his physique is the reason why we are trading him? Are you trying to date him?

You do understand that the more muscular he is, the more oxygen his muscles need and the quicker he gets gassed. It's why you rarely see super muscular MMA fighters that are actually good, bulk is not good in sports that need longevity and are high cardio events.

Your opinion on Kucherovs physique?

Lean with strong lower body

Reactions: Kazparov

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Take accountability alone? What did he do individually that he needs to take accountability for?

- Being the 10 highest points leader since the 2016 season?
- Being the 6th best setup guy since the 2016 season?

Shame on Mitch!

2023-24 Playoffs
Matthews 1 goal 3 assists - 5 games - CANT TRADE HIM !!!!
Bert 1 goal 3 assists - 7 games - OMGZ RESIGN HIM NOW!!!!!
JT - 1 goal 1 assists - FREE PASS!!!!!!!
Rielly - 3 assists - ELITE DEFENDER!!!!!!!

Mitch 1 goal and 2 assists ---- Send him to Mars!!!! Shoot him to the moon!!!!

There is a logical fallacy when one player scores 4 points and he is a must resign and another scores one less assist and he is a problem that needs to take accountability.

Posters are trying to make Mitch the individual scape goat for lack of team accomplishments. Individually his performance has been elite. I agree the team needs a different approach, different players, but assigning one person the blame when the person has been elite is illogical. I'd feel the same way if Nylander, Matty or JT were the individual whipping boys, one player is not going to dictate team success or failure over a long period, one coach will. If Mitch + has to go fine but assigning one player all the blame is really mindless pitch fork group think.
I get your point and agree with it. I would have done something about this core a year ago while we still have control over Willy and Marner. However Treliving resigned Willy so with Marners soon expiring deal he is the only realistic option now.

Reactions: HolyCrap

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
From the early 2000’s to now, this board has gone to complete shit. Back then you could have reasonable discussions. Now it’s a mob mentality. If you’re not on board with what the mob wants, you’re a dumb hockey fan or a GM lover!
I'm not a GM lover, I'm a Mopar guy all the way!

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
It's his physique is the reason why we are trading him? Are you trying to date him?

You do understand that the more muscular he is, the more oxygen his muscles need and the quicker he gets gassed. It's why you rarely see super muscular MMA fighters that are actually good, bulk is not good in sports that need longevity and are high cardio events.

Your opinion on Kucherovs physique?

Lean with strong lower body

Kuch has a thick upper body.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Poor shot and weak shot at least to me are different things.
Poor shot has more to do with shooting in a bad position while weak shot is just not a good shot.
And any shots can be both.

Like someone shoot a 90mph shot, that’s a hard shot but if he shoots it behind the net, that’s a poor shot. This example is extreme but that’s my point.

MM rarely takes poor shot but his shot is weak. I don’t think anyone will come out and say MM got a great shot and his shooting is one of his strengths.
So contrast Phaneuf who had a hard shot but couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. Contrast shootout success rates of the team as an exercise of shot comparison.
Hard shots are something but they aren't everything. I'd say they aren't even most things.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Marner doesnt take fitness very seriously. Read his interviews over the years. He loves gaming and bad food. Look at his physique and strength and it's clear he doesn't train much at all either.
I’m sure he works out. I’d like to see him put on some upper body muscle and see if he can improve his shot.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
I’m becoming of the mind that with the upgrades we have made on D and the organizational and coaching change away from possession at all costs, I would keep Mitch this year and let’s see how it goes.

The cap relife to get more good players will come from JT rolling off or getting cheaper. Mitch’s situation will sort itself out.

Maybe he needs to get to free agency and get open market offers to understand he is a very nice pony, but he’s not a Unicorn.

Reactions: Confucius

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I’m becoming of the mind that with the upgrades we have made on D and the organizational and coaching change away from possession at all costs, I would keep Mitch this year and let’s see how it goes.

The cap relife to get more good players will come from JT rolling off or getting cheaper. Mitch’s situation will sort itself out.

Maybe he needs to get to free agency and get open market offers to understand he is a very nice pony, but he’s not a Unicorn.
That 11 million will go to McCabe, Knies and if there’s any left over, some to JT.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007

The bolded is 100% spot on.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
It's because we are talking about goal scoring and shots as if they are the only thing that matters.

Pretty straightforward if you read the convo instead of hopping into it halfway through and pretending you contributed.
You're the person who made the silly comparison with McDavid by saying their goal totals were similar (just this year) because they both get more assists. I just pointed out how misleading your statement was.

You shouldn't blame me for your bias causing you to make mistakes.

Reactions: HolyCrap

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

So your options are trade a deadline, own rental or sign him.

I'm good with signing him but I want to see what he does in the playoffs first. I would then make him one take it or leave it offer and if he walks, he walks.

We have won f*** all with them for 8 years. I am sure we can win f*** all without them.

He’ll get paid on the open market and the Leafs will get nothing in return. Trying to get to the Eastern final with Matthews and Nylander leading the way isn’t very reassuring.
Face it, this team is not close and needs to take a step back but because Matthews has 4 years left so they will continue patching around them until he leaves and then they will be looking at a new rebuild with 4 years of Nylander left. Shoot me.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
A post from 2 years ago?

Here he is from less than a year ago, looks like he started taking it more seriously again.

Also, hockey players never have a huge upper body and his legs look like he works out, so not upset about it in your photo.

Crosby, Ovi, Matthews, and a bunch of other guys look like they barely touch their upper body.

He's always going to have a small frame, not much he can do about that.

May I present, the best goal scorer in the world:

View attachment 892993

Yup, hockey players NEVER have huge upper bodies………

1720356265237.jpeg

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Face it, this team is not close and needs to take a step back but because Matthews has 4 years left so they will continue patching around them until he leaves and then they will be looking at a new rebuild with 4 years of Nylander left. Shoot me.
I think we might be looking into the same crystal ball. I hope I'm wrong but it looks like the next decade is really going to suck.

Reactions: rumman and ToneDog

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Define "get paid". And please do tell us in detail about Mitchy's contributions that have led us to the Eastern Final.
Getting paid would be signing a contract north of 11 million with another team. Not getting any assets in return, other than cap space, would be a colossal mistake.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
So your options are trade a deadline, own rental or sign him.

I'm good with signing him but I want to see what he does in the playoffs first. I would then make him one take it or leave it offer and if he walks, he walks.

We have won f*** all with them for 8 years. I am sure we can win f*** all without them.

They're not close because they start every season with too many unknowns, with too many players or coaches expected to do something they haven’t done consistently over their career. One or two things will work out favourably, but never do all 5 or 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad