Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

You were part of quite possibly the biggest mob mentality this message board has ever seen, being a main contributor to the "Marner Appreciation" Thread. Anybody who said anything critical of Marner in that thread were attacked by a select small group of posters. Yes... let me repeat, a Marner Appreciation only thread..... look around the media right now and see how absolutely absurd that is. Two years in a row this board voted about 70% in favor of moving him! Yet...an Appreciation Thread only thread.

The mods rightfully determined that thread was ridiculous, shut it down, and created this one.

Additionally I’ve had you on ignore for about a year and a bit and just started responding to your posts again like 2 days ago. So me attacking you in that Marner appreciation thread couldn’t have even happened.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I don't understand this and how it explains how Marner is a weak shot.
That post was replying to someone who said if MM shoots more, he will get as many as AM.

I said shooting % will drop or increase with more shots and kind of no point using these on pace stats or expected stats.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
McDavid had 32 goals in 76 games, do you want to complain he doesn't score enough for his salary?

Marner had 26 in 69 for reference.

Almost like there are assists as well and both of these players are primarily playmakers.

Goals seem to matter a lot on these board but only when it comes to Marner.
Goals are comparable based on games played.

I see you mention assists, but won't give the numbers. Is that because 100 assists in 76 games is a lot different than 59 assists in 69 games, and that totally destroys your biased point?

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Okay, so than Bertuzzis ixg should be much higher with Marner than the rest? Since he's blowing numerous wide open nets? Also, Marner is afterall a pure playmaker who shouldn't be judged on his lack of goal scoring (unlike the rest of the core 4) - just another reason one would expect a much higher ixg for Bertuzzi with Marner vs the rest. But wait... yet again much lower with Marner.

Bertuzzi individual expected goals with core 4:
Marner: 2.89
Nylander: 7.74
Matthews: 5.94
Tavares: 7.74
You know I gotta say - there's nothing more satisfying then using their own dumbass "advanced" stats against them and watching them scramble and hyperventilate trying to explain it away.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Here's another great stat, individual high danger chances for. If Bertuzzi is blowing wide open shots that Marner gave him, than shouldn't we expect higher number for Marner? Nope very low:

Bertuzzi individual high danger chances for with core 4:
Marner: 13
Nylander: 43
Matthews: 28
Tavares: 46
Pretty much puts the nail in the coffin for that dumbass argument. So now we've blamed the coach, Marner's teammates, AND the fanbase. Any chance Mitchy can just take some accountability in their minds yet?

Well done Antropovsky.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Goals are comparable based on games played.

I see you mention assists, but won't give the numbers. Is that because 100 assists in 76 games is a lot different than 59 assists in 69 games, and that totally destroys your biased point?

It's because we are talking about goal scoring and shots as if they are the only thing that matters.

Pretty straightforward if you read the convo instead of hopping into it halfway through and pretending you contributed.

Pretty much puts the nail in the coffin for that dumbass argument. So now we've blamed the coach, Marner's teammates, AND the fanbase. Any chance Mitchy can just take some accountability in their minds yet?

Well done Antropovsky.

He used one player... I'll find a single player that does better with Marner later and then the narrative changes?

You seem to think a one player sample size is sufficient.

You know I gotta say - there's nothing more satisfying then using their own dumbass "advanced" stats against them and watching them scramble and hyperventilate trying to explain it away.

I'll post similar stats later for another teammate and you'll call them dumb stats... especially since I assume you don't understand them.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
He used one player... I'll find a single player that does better with Marner later and then the narrative changes?

You seem to think a one player sample size is sufficient.
Now the goldfish just forgets all of the pointless shitting on of Bertuzzi that was happening in so many other threads, specifically bout him getting "endless tap ins". Never discussed any other teammates and their production with Marner, he specifically addressed Bertuzzi.

Last edited:

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
McDavid had 32 goals in 76 games, do you want to complain he doesn't score enough for his salary?

Marner had 26 in 69 for reference.

Almost like there are assists as well and both of these players are primarily playmakers.

Goals seem to matter a lot on these board but only when it comes to Marner.
Mcdavid has a rocket and scored 64 goals last year. He's an elite goal scorer and an elite playmaker... depends on what mood he is in.

Marner doesnt belong in the same sentence as Mcdavid.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Can you imagine if Marner strengthened his hands and forearms and could shoot the puck a little better. Teams would have to defend a lot differently and not let him carry the puck in those prime scoring areas. That fact that’s he’s never shown any improvement is strange.
Do they use a strength coach? Maybe he’s too small boned and too weak.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Mcdavid has a rocket and scored 64 goals last year. He's an elite goal scorer and an elite playmaker... depends on what mood he is in.

Marner doesnt belong in the same sentence as Mcdavid.

Why does McDavid choose not to win the rocket every year? Seems stupid.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Can you imagine if Marner strengthened his hands and forearms and could shoot the puck a little better. Teams would have to defend a lot differently and not let him carry the puck in those prime scoring areas. That fact that’s he’s never shown any improvement is strange.
Do they use a strength coach? Maybe he’s too small boned and too weak.
Marner doesnt take fitness very seriously. Read his interviews over the years. He loves gaming and bad food. Look at his physique and strength and it's clear he doesn't train much at all either.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Marner doesnt take fitness very seriously. Read his interviews over the years. He loves gaming and bad food. Look at his physique and strength and it's clear he doesn't train much at all either.

Maybe he needs to train more, but he trains.

1720317505963.png

You also just described Laine's diet/activities and he has arguably the best shot in the game.

1720317701341.png

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
A video from 6 years ago?

Here he is 2 years ago, enjoying that long summer off.

A post from 2 years ago?

Here he is from less than a year ago, looks like he started taking it more seriously again.

Also, hockey players never have a huge upper body and his legs look like he works out, so not upset about it in your photo.

Crosby, Ovi, Matthews, and a bunch of other guys look like they barely touch their upper body.

He's always going to have a small frame, not much he can do about that.

May I present, the best goal scorer in the world:

1720319138796.png

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
A post from 2 years ago?

Here he is from less than a year ago, looks like he started taking it more seriously again.

Also, hockey players never have a huge upper body and his legs look like he works out, so not upset about it in your photo.

Crosby, Ovi, Matthews, and a bunch of other guys look like they barely touch their upper body.

A post from 2 years ago?

May I present, the best goal scorer in the world:

View attachment 892993

Marner looks about 175lbs in that photo.

Yep.. hockey players focus alot on their legs. Gives them stength on their feet.

Look at Matthews thighs in that photo, they look like a body builders.

There is a reason Marner falls from a light breeze and is often falling everywhere on the ice (especially playoffs).

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
He looks l

He looks about 175lbs.

Yep.. hockey players focus alot on their legs. Gives them stength on their feet.

Look at Matthews thighs in that photo, they look like a body builders.

There is a reason Marner falls from a light breeze and is falling everywhere on the ice.

Do you want him to get different bones? He has a small frame... what do you want him to do?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I have never attacked anyone cause of Marner. As I’ve always stated, I’ve never had a problem with anyone not liking Marner. My stance has always been that the personal attacks on Marner himself were and continue to be very dumb.

The only thread where I legit got out of hand in and threw a ton of insults and personal attacks was the Liljegren thread years ago. I already apologized for that and moved on.
Yep no one has any issue with legit criticism of the player. It’s all the made up froth that’s the issue. Most will call out stupidity when they see it and it’s in abundance in this thread.

What’s his contract demands up to now? 13 a year? :laugh: Seems to rise by 1/2 a mil every week.

Reading further now he doesn’t work out. :laugh: He must be the world’s greatest natural athlete. Imagine if he tried?

Last edited:

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Why does McDavid choose not to win the rocket every year? Seems stupid.
He did win the Conn Smythe, lol.

The thing is maybe McD knows that all these individual awards means nothing if you don’t win the Cup.

His focus is probably on how to play the game better, building his teammates confidence…kind of like Sid, he was a much better points getter during his first back to back SCF runs but he was a much better player when he won back to back Cups.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Yep no one has any issue with legit criticism of the player. It’s all the made up froth that’s the issue. Most will call out stupidity when they see it and it’s in abundance in this thread.

What’s his contract demands up to now? 13 a year? :laugh: Seems to rise by 1/2 a mil every week.

Haha honestly I’d just love Marner to have a great year from start to finish. Knowing him, if he’s healthy he’ll get his 100 points this year and I just want him, Matthews and Nylander to go on an absolute tear in the post season. Just prove everyone wrong, have a good playoffs and carry the mail and these narratives go away

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
He did win the Conn Smythe, lol.

The thing is maybe McD knows that all these individual awards means nothing if you don’t win the Cup.

His focus is probably on how to play the game better, building his teammates confidence…kind of like Sid, he was a much better points getter during his first back to back SCF runs but he was a much better player when he won back to back Cups.

But wouldn't choosing to score more goals help your team win more?

I just laugh that McDavid chooses what award he wants to win, it's so stupid.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

It works both ways, as there are more than enough posts here stating Leafs won’t even make the playoffs without MM.

But wouldn't choosing to score more goals help your team win more?

I just laugh that McDavid chooses what award he wants to win, it's so stupid.
You only need to score one more goal than the other team to win the game.

You can laugh all you want about McD not being the best player but you are all alone as everyone in hockey will say McD is the best player in the league and nobody is even close to him.

Like I said many many posts ago, you really can’t compare any players to McD.

Reactions: rumman

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
You only need to score one more goal than the other team to win the game.

You can laugh all you want about McD not being the best player but you are all alone as everyone in hockey will say McD is the best player in the league and nobody is even close to him.

Like I said many many posts ago, you really can’t compare any players to McD.

Not saying he isn't the best.

I think it is idiotic to think he chooses what awards to win.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Haha honestly I’d just love Marner to have a great year from start to finish. Knowing him, if he’s healthy he’ll get his 100 points this year and I just want him, Matthews and Nylander to go on an absolute tear in the post season. Just prove everyone wrong, have a good playoffs and carry the mail and these narratives go away
It would be nice for sure.

Reactions: francis246
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: