Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Which does bring us full circle, I voted he is staying and will walk at the end of the year for nothing, unless we offer 11 X 8.. I’m not bitter about it, it is his right to fulfill his end of his contract. We will see what we get for 11 million, my guess is a couple if mid level grinders. There will be no star D man or star goalie coming here. Again that is just what I believe the likely outcome will be.

For $11mm you can probably sign just outside the elite level player.

Most of the best players will re-sign with their own team.

Again, people can't have it both ways.

If there are too many Double Digits you can't complain when the team reduces the number of Double Digits.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
For $11mm you can probably sign just outside the elite level player.

Most of the best players will re-sign with their own team.

Again, people can't have it both ways.

If there are too many Double Digits you can't complain when the team reduces the number of Double Digits.
If you can convince one to come here. Only way that has happened in the past is to severely overpay. Hey if the club wants to move away from a star player for some grinders with backbone, I’ll have to go along with it. Still doesn’t mean I have to like it or even agree with it.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
The nice part about having to overpay UFA players to come to Toronto, is Dubas got that started early when they weren't changing teams, involved in a bidding war, or even a UFA. That guy was a forward thinker.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Marner does this in the hope it creates a goal. Sometimes it will even go in directly if there is enough traffic and the goalie is having an off night. The thing is Rielly does the exact same thing. So we have 2 guys doing this. And we really only need one.
In fairness, I think they're coached to do that in hopes there's a rebound. Unfortunately, to take advantage of that strategy one of their team mates needs to go to the front of the net...

Reactions: socko

57 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
If you can convince one to come here. Only way that has happened in the past is to severely overpay. Hey if the club wants to move away from a star player for some grinders with backbone, I’ll have to go along with it. Still doesn’t mean I have to like it or even agree with it.
The Leafs will play 82 Regular Season games no matter what they do, so why does who is on the team matter to you so much if you consider playoff results irrelevant?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
During the combine, TSN's Pierre LeBrun caught up with Treliving. Obviously, with the Mitch Marner chatter, LeBrun was keen on getting an update, which Treliving was happy to provide.

Judging by his comments, Marner will not be moved for the sake of moving him. The star winger will need to draw a significant return for the Leafs - one that will improve the team - in order for Treliving to pull the trigger.
"The thing I would say is, be very, very careful of what you read out there. Mitch is a hell of a player. He's going into the last year of his contract. We're not going to comment on any players. Any business that we conduct, we'll do that between Darren Ferris and us. We're not going to do play-by-play on it. We've got to look at every possible way for our team to be better."

Treliving acknowledged Marner's no-movement clause, but re-affirmed that the goal is and always was to make the team better.​

"Mitch controls a lot of this whole thing (with the no-trade). If there's a way to make our team better, we're going to do it. But we're certainly not going to make a trade just so we can pound our chest and say, 'Look, we're different.'"

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
The Leafs will play 82 Regular Season games no matter what they do, so why does who is on the team matter to you so much if you consider playoff results irrelevant?
There is an exciting 82 games and boring 82 games. The players with better talent put on a better show.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
During the combine, TSN's Pierre LeBrun caught up with Treliving. Obviously, with the Mitch Marner chatter, LeBrun was keen on getting an update, which Treliving was happy to provide.

Judging by his comments, Marner will not be moved for the sake of moving him. The star winger will need to draw a significant return for the Leafs - one that will improve the team - in order for Treliving to pull the trigger.

Treliving acknowledged Marner's no-movement clause, but re-affirmed that the goal is and always was to make the team better.​
Vague GM speak isn't very informative.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Vague GM speak isn't very informative
Not really that vague at all... vague is "we plan to discuss the future with the player" or "we are exploring all options, he's an excellent and valuable player". Tree only talks about possibly of trading Marner and even says Marner holds the cards because of his NTC. This is anything but a typical response to a question like this by a GM. Tree also doesn't express any desire to discuss a contract extension with Marner.

Reactions: myleafs

57 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
Not really that vague at all... vague is "we plan to discuss the future with the player" or "we are exploring all options, he's an excellent and valuable player". Tree only talks about possibly of trading Marner and even says Marner holds the cards because of his NTC. This is anything but a typical response to a question like this by a GM. Tree also doesn't express any desire to discuss a contract extension with Marner.
I wonder if they've actually grown some cajones and are actually brave enough to tell Marner NOW that he's not part of the future and they'll be no extension?

If that's what they want, of course. With Shanny around you never know.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
If you can’t score more than 2 goals a game, even having Roy or Hasek ain’t going to win you many games in the playoffs.
Not saying goaltending is not a problem but our top guys choking is also a problem.
and don’t use the weaker division or conf as an excuse since I am 100% sure if we played the Canucks, we would still get out goalied by Silvos.
Teams find ways to win but our boys find ways to lose.

Sadly, it would seem that simple if every goalie they faced wasnt doing it to everyone else too. Swayman, Bob, Price, Rask, etc. were/are considered to be the goalie performances of the playoffs against everyone. Silvos was considered a good fill in. It matters little I guess that we caught them early but outside of last seasons 2 series, all those series went to 7 somehow and were almost always punctuated by a backbreaking softie from our keepers.

...and I do understand that scoring goals matters too and the underperformance is glaring us in the face but with a bottom 6 getting outscored almost 2-1 over a long stretch, that seems bigger than Marner lines outscoring their comp almost 2-1 over the last few years.

We all want to win but more than a Huberdeau deal, im worried about a Kessel issue in that we get to watch Marner win cups on another team once he's on a team with real productive depth and a real goalie.

There are a lot of parallels. Kessel was a whiny baby who was toxic and a team could never win with him and fabricated stories about hot dogs took center stage. Just look at the misinformation gleefully posted as fast as possible in the thread.

Winning would change everything of course. We are living in the Leafiest time ever though and I really don't think Marner has been the negative folks are trying to make out.

Time will tell I guess.

Hopefully the brass does the right thing either way.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I would be happy with big hitters and face smashers over spin o rama boy. I know the big hitters have an impact in the POs
But I thought they didn’t big hit and face smash all season long because of the length of the season, that is why they saved it for the playoffs like Edmonton did. Oh wait..

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Sadly, it would seem that simple if every goalie they faced wasnt doing it to everyone else too. Swayman, Bob, Price, Rask, etc. were/are considered to be the goalie performances of the playoffs against everyone. Silvos was considered a good fill in. It matters little I guess that we caught them early but outside of last seasons 2 series, all those series went to 7 somehow and were almost always punctuated by a backbreaking softie from our keepers.

...and I do understand that scoring goals matters too and the underperformance is glaring us in the face but with a bottom 6 getting outscored almost 2-1 over a long stretch, that seems bigger than Marner lines outscoring their comp almost 2-1 over the last few years.

We all want to win but more than a Huberdeau deal, im worried about a Kessel issue in that we get to watch Marner win cups on another team once he's on a team with real productive depth and a real goalie.

There are a lot of parallels. Kessel was a whiny baby who was toxic and a team could never win with him and fabricated stories about hot dogs took center stage. Just look at the misinformation gleefully posted as fast as possible in the thread.

Winning would change everything of course. We are living in the Leafiest time ever though and I really don't think Marner has been the negative folks are trying to make out.

Time will tell I guess.

Amen to that!

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Kessel had 13 goals in 22 playoffs games before he was traded to Pitt. And 4 goals in 7 games for the Leafs. And he was killing it for Team USA as well with Patrick Kane calling him the best player he ever played with. He was a playoff producer on a bad team. Marner is the opposite.

QJo

Luke Warmtakes
Dec 8, 2016
Ontario
Kessel had 13 goals in 22 playoffs games before he was traded to Pitt. And 4 goals in 7 games for the Leafs. And he was killing it for Team USA as well with Patrick Kane calling him the best player he ever played with. He was a playoff producer on a bad team. Marner is the opposite.
I remember Kessel getting dunked on for being one dimensional and shut down by Chara for most of the series.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
I remember Kessel getting dunked on for being one dimensional and shut down by Chara for most of the series.
The stats say he played in 7 games, scored 4 goals and 2 assists, for 6 total points, with 2 game winning goals, and a plus 3.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I wonder if they've actually grown some cajones and are actually brave enough to tell Marner NOW that he's not part of the future and they'll be no extension?

If that's what they want, of course. With Shanny around you never know.
Ferris to Mitch "it's a bad look for them to lose you for nothing. They don't want to do that...so let's stand our ground and be patient. Who knows what a new coach and one more playoffs can do for you"

What could Treliving be referring to with the "don't believe everything in the media"?

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

Time will tell I guess.

Like I said, our boys/core 5, as they had been around the longest, will find ways to lose.
Other teams top guys will always find ways to score against us while our top guys find ways not to score.
We can say we need better depth all we want but part of the depth problem is having too much money invest in top guys who choke. Other teams 3rd line are 2nd line players while our 3rd line are real 3rd line players.
Kadri or Phil are not good example. And even if MM went on to win Cups, he couldn’t do that with the Leafs, and that’s a fact.
Also Phil was not whiny or a baby, he showed up when it matters. He was not afraid or disinterested in playoffs esp Game 7. Something that MM had yet to do despite playing in quite a few.

MM is not the only problem but he is one.

Like I said earlier in a separate post, if MM plays on another team and had the same stats and same team results, would you still think it is a good idea for that team to run it back beside wanting to dunk on them?

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Ferris to Mitch "it's a bad look for them to lose you for nothing. They don't want to do that...so let's stand our ground and be patient. Who knows what a new coach and one more playoffs can do for you"

What could Treliving be referring to with the "don't believe everything in the media"?
I think there is no team wants MM and that’s why MM is focusing on finishing the contract.
On a serious note, I think both Leafs and Ferris are actively shopping MM but don’t want to look desperate by stating he wants to stay…..and one GM will think he gets a great steal on MM in July.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I think there is no team wants MM and that’s why MM is focusing on finishing the contract.
On a serious note, I think both Leafs and Ferris are actively shopping MM but don’t want to look desperate by stating he wants to stay…..and one GM will think he gets a great steal on MM in July.
Why would they shop him if he wants to stay?

Reactions: Confucius

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA

The Marner camp is looking for the classic Leaf cave for sure. It started with Nylander on that first contract and the cave didn't happen until December, but cave we did. This could be a situation of how much control does Shanahan have left and is he willing to use it. If he's the one to save the core yet again, that may no longer be the safest path for him. And I'm sure he's attempting to milk the Leafs for all he can before his firing.

Reactions: NVious
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad