Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Do the math. Let's say he does a sign-and-trade now and gets ~12M/yr @ 8 yrs. Next year, if he has a fantastic year he MIGHT be able to push that number to 13M, but it would be for 7 years, he's leaving 5M of guaranteed money on the table. And if he doesn't have a great year he might even have a lower AAV and even less money.
You are sounding like a hostage negotiating with a captor. Assuming a 7 year deal, we are likely looking at a salary cap at 100mm+. 12mm is chicken change once you account for the 1 or 2 million he is foregoing per year for security.

tuckerintensity

armed with will and determination
Jul 16, 2022

Seems reasonable, any Team would share the same concerns.

The part not in quotations is taken highly out of context based on what Friedman actually said. Friedman was making claims about what he thinks, not citing sources at this point. He cited what he's heard from inside, which is that the Marner situation is unlikely to be a quick process and no one would be surprised if this played out through the season.

He then started talking about what he believes based on no sources whatsoever and referenced the Kadri trade being highly emotional (it was) and in retrospect they maybe shouldn't have been so emotional. No sources, that was his personal thought. He also had personal thoughts on the fan reaction Marner will receive if he's still here in October, but also those were personal thoughts that he thinks they are concerned about, not what he's heard from within. I don't think reporting it like he actually said it gets clicks on Twitter though.

Last edited:
Reactions: ACC1224

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
We can play with numbers all day, what if this what if that. It is pretty much accepted teams overpay for a UFA. Why is that? Because you gain an asset at no cost to the organization so you pay that asset a little more to try and sway him to your team. If I have to give up a quality player and a high draft pick for an asset. I would prefer to keep my draft pick my player and overpay the new guy by a million or maybe even 2. If you think it doesn’t matter and makes no difference, cool. That’s why this is a discussion board and we all have an opinion.

It wasn’t silly at all. 897 isn’t very good. 2.50 goals a game would be pretty bad if you only faced 10 shots. Skinner is not junk, I never said that. He is avg at best and probably a little below avg. he was replaced by Pickard because he was playing so well.
Lmao. The team can want whatever they want, but if Marner wants money above all else he'll have his own priorities. I doubt he's thinking about how he can benefit his team in UFA a year from now by taking less money, the premise sounds ridiculous, but you seem to want to keep Mitch so I guess it checks out.

You are sounding like a hostage negotiating with a captor. Assuming a 7 year deal, we are likely looking at a salary cap at 100mm+. 12mm is chicken change once you account for the 1 or 2 million he is foregoing per year for security.
What security? He already has full control and can pick his own destination if he chooses.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I don't understand all the comments about Marner's entourage and the people surrounding him. I don't know why they are of any consideration at all.
Because NHL teams don't want a player with an NBA attitude

Did Boston worry about Thornton thriving in another market? Because he did. Bruins win the Cup though so don’t worry about his next team. Worry about why ours doesn’t win in the playoffs.
This. And that Thornton trade allowed Boston to hand the reigns over to Chara

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Lmao. The team can want whatever they want, but if Marner wants money above all else he'll have his own priorities. I doubt he's thinking about how he can benefit his team in UFA a year from now by taking less money, the premise sounds ridiculous, but you seem to want to keep Mitch so I guess it checks out.

What security? He already has full control and can pick his own destination if he chooses.
Ok you brought me back, sucked back in again. From anything I have written hOw do you get he’ll take less money? It has nothing to do with helping his new team out.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Lol 1-2 million for security. LeBron James spends 1 million on security. The Beckhams also spend 1 million.

Marner is probably spending max 100,000 for that Rocket Security guy. It's not even 24/7.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Mitch is such an overpaid pain in the butt, that I'm not convinced that even as a prime age UFA people are going to be jumping to sign him. And consider that teams were falling over themselves to get Tavares to sign. I can see his agent saying "he's a UFA boys, who wants Mitch?" And nobody raises their hand.

This is delusional. There would be a lineup to get Marner for nothing lol.

Maybe not at the dollar amount marner would like, but there would be a ton of interest.

You guys all need to go touch some grass JFC some of the takes here lol

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
This is delusional. There would be a lineup to get Marner for nothing lol.

Maybe not at the dollar amount marner would like, but there would be a ton of interest.

You guys all need to go touch some grass JFC some of the takes here lol
But I am talking about the dollar amount Mitch would want.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Make no mistake. Marner holds all the cards here. If the Leafs piss him off, he could play out the season and walk for nothing. ASAMOF, there is not one snippet, even the tiniest news anywhere that Marner has agreed to waive his NMC. Give him a million raise and call it a day, hopefully with no NMC included.

Marner decides if he will be traded. No one else. And if you talk about him being greedy, half the team is like that. This bs started with Tavares. Then Matthews only cares about himself. Nylander is also a greedy puke.

The difference is the cap is going up significantly this year and every year for the foreseeable future. Need to move on from soft players like Rielly and Lilly. That free's up another 12 million.
He holds his card, not all of the cards.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
TRADE MARNER

Just getting in my daily rep, like this savage.

1331660438_bike_wheelie_bench_pressing.gif

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
How do we know he definitely wants 8 years?
If he's a gambling man he might not but his value has only gone down since his last contract and that's while playing with arguably the leagues 2nd/3rd best center the last 3+ years and a loaded PP.

I'm thinking he would rather get the guaranteed 11-12 million for 8 years until 35 years old, rather than see what happens if his point production dips and playoff performance stays the same.

NMacrules

May 30, 2021
Not exactly:
1) Marner wants to stay in Toronto
2) Marners 8th year requires working with Toronto.

They both are in a predicament.
What are you talking about? There is no "requirement" for Marner to work with Toronto. Wanting to play in Toronto was before the fans turned on him.

He has a NMC. He can play out the year and leave. Plain and simple. You might as well wrap your noggin around that because it could happen.

He holds his card, not all of the cards.
His card is the most important card of all. He can just leave after the year.

Reactions: Confucius

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
What are you talking about? There is no "requirement" for Marner to work with Toronto. Wanting to play in Toronto was before the fans turned on him.

He has a NMC. He can play out the year and leave. Plain and simple. You might as well wrap your noggin around that because it could happen.
You don't think he wants to stay in Toronto? Potentially have his jersey in the rafters and possibly even a statue? Not to mention continue to get lucrative endorsement deals, his businesses (own a restaurant), grow his foundation (employ his family), big tax write off and potentially have another career in management or media afterwards? He may not like the criticism, but you could tell even before he indicated "he's a god in Toronto"... that he loves the attention.

He can play out the year and leave, but he can only sign a 7 year contract vs an 8 with Toronto. At 35 hes unlikely to get meet the same wage he does on an 8 year, especially with how slow and weak he is already. His stock is depreciating by the season, not sure it is wise of him to sign a short term deal, especially if he's going to a team where he won't have a player of Matthews caliber on his line. Or the talent the Leafs have on the pp.

Last edited:

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Funny... I was curious what I had to say about not re-signing Hyman, and came across this.

I posted this
You could have written that this week and it would be spot on...brings us back to this stale/stalled product that isnt showing any evolution. Please change it up for the love of mankind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad