Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
"They fear Marner could thrive as a great player in a quieter market".

If the Leafs' Brass thinks like this they should quit right now. I doubt they do, this is just EF speculative BS.
Did Boston worry about Thornton thriving in another market? Because he did. Bruins win the Cup though so don’t worry about his next team. Worry about why ours doesn’t win in the playoffs.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Really discouraging comment from EF. Why would the leafs be telling EF they already fear a bad return that they haven't negotiated yet?
I think it is a smokescreen. Leafs using EF to spread rumors that they don't mind holding on to MM bc he is a great player and if you want to trade for him, you better come in full value.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Thank you for that, I will step back from the ledge lmao.
Personally, I don't think MM and his camp wants to stay in Toronto. AS they betted on MM to perform this past playoffs to get the 100mil contract and just failed big time. Not too sure if they are willing to bet on MM to perform in the playoffs again.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I think it is a smokescreen. Leafs using EF to spread rumors that they don't mind holding on to MM bc he is a great player and if you want to trade for him, you better come in full value.
I think it's the opposite, and we will start to see more of these whispers as the summer progresses - that he's staying, and that both parties are content with letting this play out throughout the year and deciding what to do later.

Like I said weeks ago - they've spent every moment of this core's time together catering, coddling, and cuddling them. They aren't about to flip a switch and all of a sudden develop a ruthless side that pushes one of them out the door.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Lol same old story with Leafs
they make too much $$$$$ to want to make any major decisions
Business first. Winning Hockey team second. That should be there motto next season. At least they would be honest with the fans
jersey sales and season tickets, what's not to like............

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I think it's the opposite, and we will start to see more of these whispers as the summer progresses - that he's staying, and that both parties are content with letting this play out throughout the year and deciding what to do later.

Like I said weeks ago - they've spent every moment of this core's time together catering, coddling, and cuddling them. They aren't about to flip a switch and all of a sudden develop a ruthless side that pushes one of them out the door.
And if thats the case, Leafs will never win the Cup unless McD comes home.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019

More and more I'm starting to think they may want to take another kick at the can with the new coach. I don't like it, but I can see the (misguided) logic to it.

Reactions: ACC1224

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
he comments, but doesn't even read the article, doesn't surprise me in the least........
The Leafs are probably afraid for the kids. They wrote all those letters to Marner that won’t get there.
1717435770469.gif

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
That doesn't make any sense. Are you saying Teams will make better offers because they read that guys tweet?

Reactions: BraveCanadian

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA

That's far from the worst scenario. If Marner walks, I can live with that. It's only a new long-term contract that will have me reaching for the remote to turn the channel to Gilligan's Island reruns. I think Marner will regret that path though, as he will almost certainly spend the entire season as the whipping boy of the fans.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I genuinely don't get the stubbornness of staying here and trying to force your way to UFA, if that's what the plan is. If the goal is actually just money, then Marner would be best served just doing a sign-and-trade, he has full control over his destination anyways. Why walk to UFA, lose money, and then burn bridges and have your entire hometown hate you?

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I genuinely don't get the stubbornness of staying here and trying to force your way to UFA, if that's what the plan is. If the goal is actually just money, then Marner would be best served just doing a sign-and-trade, he has full control over his destination anyways. Why walk to UFA, lose money, and then burn bridges and have your entire hometown hate you?
I imagine his goal is the same every year, try to win with his home town team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad