Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Did Boston worry about Thornton thriving in another market? Because he did. Bruins win the Cup though so don’t worry about his next team. Worry about why ours doesn’t win in the playoffs.
He did.. but he also had his Captaincy stripped in San Jose and Thornton retired without a cup. Hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

Marner is in the same category, but just much less talented and obviously not blessed with then size and strength of Joe

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
"They fear Marner could thrive as a great player in a quieter market".

If the Leafs' Brass thinks like this they should quit right now. I doubt they do, this is just EF speculative BS.
Agreed. Marner has thrived here as well in the regular season. He hasn't thrived in the playoffs though and based on his style of play, that is unlikely to change even if he is in a quieter market.

The decision needs to be made based on what's best for the Toronto Maple Leafs, period.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Did Boston worry about Thornton thriving in another market? Because he did. Bruins win the Cup though so don’t worry about his next team. Worry about why ours doesn’t win in the playoffs.
They may have. I doubt anyone here was following the goings on there that closely.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I genuinely don't get the stubbornness of staying here and trying to force your way to UFA, if that's what the plan is. If the goal is actually just money, then Marner would be best served just doing a sign-and-trade, he has full control over his destination anyways. Why walk to UFA, lose money, and then burn bridges and have your entire hometown hate you?
He is more valuable to a team if a team can get him at no asset cost. We got JT for nothing which made home a bigger catch since we didn’t have to give up players/ picks

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
After spending two seasons periodically lashing out to the media because of what he deemed unfair criticism; I wonder if he looks back and thinks... hmm maybe they weren't wrong afterall. Given his current predicament of course.

When he reads Freidman's post that Maple Leafs are worried about the fans response if they don't trade Marner. Ouch!

Reactions: myleafs

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Funny... I was curious what I had to say about not re-signing Hyman, and came across this.

I posted this

Marner, I'm beginning to wonder if he just doesn't have it for the playoffs. I know you knew him, and have said good things about him... but 3 points, 5v5 in the last three playoffs. Invisible... I know he's a strong kid, works out hard, squats big weight for someone his size... but the playoffs he just wilts anyway. I hope he figures it out, but I'm also prepared to have him moved, to change the identity of the team, and free up some cap.

Thornton/Foligno barely played with Marner/Matthews in the playoffs. It was Hyman, who maybe just hadn't recovered, as he was completely ineffective too.

The PP has sucked, sure.. but this is an ongoing story of a lack of production from Marner, more than anyone else. Matthews some bad luck, some poor execution. Even if one believes the PP is the issue, it comes back to Marner... too predictable, not a shooting threat... Elite player in the regular season... but he killed the PP, and wasn't good in the playoffs.... Can he be fixed, or do we need to move on? Really, I don't know.

Your best players, need to be your best players... blaming failure on role and depth players, when the best guys didn't do their jobs, is pointless.

Reactions: myleafs

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
He is more valuable to a team if a team can get him at no asset cost. We got JT for nothing which made home a bigger catch since we didn’t have to give up players/ picks
and that ended up working out so well..............

After spending two seasons periodically lashing out to the media because of what he deemed unfair criticism; I wonder if he looks back and thinks... hmm maybe they weren't wrong afterall. Given his current predicament of course.

When he reads Freidman's post that Maple Leafs are worried about the fans response if they don't trade Marner. Ouch!
too busy playing fortnite no doubt...........

NMacrules

May 30, 2021
Make no mistake. Marner holds all the cards here. If the Leafs piss him off, he could play out the season and walk for nothing. ASAMOF, there is not one snippet, even the tiniest news anywhere that Marner has agreed to waive his NMC. Give him a million raise and call it a day, hopefully with no NMC included.

Marner decides if he will be traded. No one else. And if you talk about him being greedy, half the team is like that. This bs started with Tavares. Then Matthews only cares about himself. Nylander is also a greedy puke.

The difference is the cap is going up significantly this year and every year for the foreseeable future. Need to move on from soft players like Rielly and Lilly. That free's up another 12 million.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
and that ended up working out so well..............

too busy playing fortnite no doubt...........
It worked out well for JT, don’t you agree?
If you have to give up a player and a pick for Mitch maybe you pay him 10. If you get to keep your player and 1st maybe Mitch is worth 1 or 2 million more to the team.

NMacrules

May 30, 2021

Make no mistake, Marner is not in a predicament, the Leafs are the ones in the predicament.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
It worked out well for JT, don’t you agree?
If you have to give up a player and a pick for Mitch maybe you pay him 10. If you get to keep your player and 1st maybe Mitch is worth 1 or 2 million more to the team.
since I'm a fan of the team and not any specific player I'd say it decidedly didn't work out well at all............

mclaren55

Apr 12, 2010
Same forwards and goalie they had last year…
Wasn’t skinner replaced by Picard for a game anyway I’m not sure though?

Edit to add .897 save percentage, dam he is hot…

2.50 GAA, pretty good considering how Samsonov was for us (3.01). Hey, if you think the Leafs are on the cusp, good on ya, I don't.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I imagine his goal is the same every year, try to win with his home town team.
Sure but this is a contract year and he's going to be a huge distraction, he can't just ignore his contract status and act like it's not happening, especially with Ferris and daddy in his ear.

That's great for the team but that's stupid for Marner. Again, if money is the goal, that would be the dumbest way to do it unless he thinks he can get max league money.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
I think Elliotte's probably correct in reporting MLSE's take on the situation: "Let's see how things go" (next season) then go from there.

I don't agree with the plan - primarily due to cap issues more than his performance, but both - but it's hard to imagine a new coach coming in and saying he's on board with moving one of the star players. By far I'd imagine most coaches would ask to work with the player first before making any decisions.

Unfortunately, regardless of how well Marner responds there isn't any realistic scenario where they can extend him and have any hope of putting together a Cup winning roster. It didn't work with 4 players earning $40M, hard to fathom any better luck with 3 earning $35M+ (after this coming season when either JT is gone or on a drastically reduced AAV).

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Sure but this is a contract year and he's going to be a huge distraction, he can't just ignore his contract status and act like it's not happening, especially with Ferris and daddy in his ear.

That's great for the team but that's stupid for Marner. Again, if money is the goal, that would be the dumbest way to do it unless he thinks he can get max league money.
I imagine they will try and get something done during the summer. Once the season starts he'll let the agent deal with it, like most players do.
His father has nothing to do with it.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto

He thinks and correctly so, he is worth 1 to 2 million more per season if he comes at no asset cost.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I don't see why we can't deal Marner at or near the TDL or hell even earlier if he and Berube don't mesh. It's true that the summer is when teams have the most cap space but the Rangers added Patrick Kane who had $10.5 million AAV in 2023 after already adding Tarasenko thanks to salary retention. There are mechanisms to make a deal happen for guys with a high price tag.

Trading Marner for the sake of trading him is not the move. I'm not enthralled with him either but if Treliving deals him solely because he's scared of the fan reaction to him being on the roster come September he should be fired right now. Don't make a trade just to remove him. We already saw that with Dubas and Kadri and that was disastrous.

A little patience could go a long way. If Dubas had sat on Kadri instead of rushing a trade we would've been better off by either A) having a good centreman still to keep our 3-headed monster advantage or B) having a valuable trade chip at that year's TDL when we were playing like crap and could've sold high with teams loading up and looking for a centreman.

Who knows how the year plays out. A player we could want who's not available now could be available come February.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
He thinks and correctly so, he is worth 1 to 2 million more per season if he comes at no asset cost.
Do the math. Let's say he does a sign-and-trade now and gets ~12M/yr @ 8 yrs. Next year, if he has a fantastic year he MIGHT be able to push that number to 13M, but it would be for 7 years, he's leaving 5M of guaranteed money on the table. And if he doesn't have a great year he might even have a lower AAV and even less money.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
2.50 GAA, pretty good considering how Samsonov was for us (3.01). Hey, if you think the Leafs are on the cusp, good on ya, I don't.
Which bring me full circle… it’s the playoffs, a tourney anything can happen. To me they don’t matter a heck of a lot. Get lucky get hot, all of a sudden we are the best> who knew? lol!

mclaren55

Apr 12, 2010
Which bring me full circle… it’s the playoffs, a tourney anything can happen. To me they don’t matter a heck of a lot. Get lucky get hot, all of a sudden we are the best> who knew? lol!
Ok, but Edmonton has had significantly more success than us in the playoffs even prior to this run. So how are you trying to compare the two? Initially you were saying Skinner was junk, now he got hot because I posted his GAA and you realized how silly your argument was initially?

McDavid and Draisaitl have both significantly outproduced our group as well. So I guess the Oil are just lucky that their superstars show up, and we aren't?

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Do the math. Let's say he does a sign-and-trade now and gets ~12M/yr @ 8 yrs. Next year, if he has a fantastic year he MIGHT be able to push that number to 13M, but it would be for 7 years, he's leaving 5M of guaranteed money on the table. And if he doesn't have a great year he might even have a lower AAV and even less money.
We can play with numbers all day, what if this what if that. It is pretty much accepted teams overpay for a UFA. Why is that? Because you gain an asset at no cost to the organization so you pay that asset a little more to try and sway him to your team. If I have to give up a quality player and a high draft pick for an asset. I would prefer to keep my draft pick my player and overpay the new guy by a million or maybe even 2. If you think it doesn’t matter and makes no difference, cool. That’s why this is a discussion board and we all have an opinion.

Ok, but Edmonton has had significantly more success than us in the playoffs even prior to this run. So how are you trying to compare the two? Initially you were saying Skinner was junk, now he got hot because I posted his GAA and you realized how silly your argument was initially?

McDavid and Draisaitl have both significantly outproduced our group as well. So I guess the Oil are just lucky that their superstars show up, and we aren't?
It wasn’t silly at all. 897 isn’t very good. 2.50 goals a game would be pretty bad if you only faced 10 shots. Skinner is not junk, I never said that. He is avg at best and probably a little below avg. he was replaced by Pickard because he was playing so well.

mclaren55

Apr 12, 2010
It wasn’t silly at all. 897 isn’t very good. 2.50 goals a game would be pretty bad if you only faced 10 shots. Skinner is not junk, I never said that. He is avg at best and probably a little below avg. he was replaced by Pickard because he was playing so well.
How would you rate Bobrovsky then, just a little above average too if all you're looking at is SV%? Guess what, in the playoffs SV% typically goes down, because teams play tighter defense and goalies face less volume, but higher quality chances.

Show me one year where Samsonov provided even average goaltending for us, I'll wait.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
How would you rate Bobrovsky then, just a little above average too if all you're looking at is SV%? Guess what, in the playoffs SV% typically goes down, because teams play tighter defense and goalies face less volume, but higher quality chances.

Show me one year where Samsonov provided even average goaltending for us, I'll wait.
You’ll be waiting along time. lol! Have a good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad