Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
His point total would most likely go through the roof as would McDavid's goals. I get frustrated as well with him and I definitely think he was highly overpaid but he's not nearly as bad of a player as some of you make him out to be.
If Edmonton had Marne sucking up 11 million in cap they probably wouldnt be in the final 4 right now .
Those numbers simply do not work

Hyman just scored to make it 2-0 Edmonton…….he out muscled 2 Defenders to score…..he is an animal

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
If Edmonton had Marne sucking up 11 million in cap they probably wouldnt be in the final 4 right now .
Those numbers simply do not work

Hyman just scored to make it 2-0 Edmonton…….he out muscled 2 Defenders to score…..he is an animal
Yup I’m watching too. I never said hyman wasn’t. I never wanted to lose him. It sucks that we paid so much money to these guys. My point was that first post to blindly say that hyman is a superstar playing with McDavid but Marner wouldnt be in the same position is pretty far fetched.

And don’t get me wrong, we’re in agreement about the massive overpays that Dubas made. I’m strictly talking about skill. I don’t think he deserves what he makes at all.

Reactions: Racer88

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I think there is something to Hyman going to the Oilers beyond just money. Thinking Dubas low balled him or minimizes his contributions trying to bring down his asking price. 5 million per year for him is a steal right now.

Too bad we couldn't afford him because Marner massive demands. I said it shortly after Marner signed. A presedence was set by Marner... now every good young player on this team is going to go looking for the highest bidder. Why would anyone want to take less money then their market value? Knowing full well that Marner they had to do it because Marner is greedy.

I'm sure this is what happened with Hyman.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

With all eyes on Mitch Marner right now in Toronto, everyone seems to be waiting to see who blinks first; the Leafs or the player.​

After the Leafs' first round loss to Boston, Marner has been taking the brunt of the criticism online, regardless of whether or not it's warranted. The 27-year-old winger registered just 3 points in the series and was not overly noticeable in any of the 7 games, aside from his goal in a 3-1 loss to the Bruins in Game 4 and a blowup on the bench in Game 3 in the opening round.

With trade rumours swirling and fans preparing their best mock trade proposals, TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun revealed on Thursday evening that, as it stands, Marner has not been asked to waive his no-movement clause or prepare a list of teams that he'd be willing to accept a trade to.

"My understanding of the situation is that Mitch Marner's camp is not preparing a list of teams. They're looking at it as, 'hey, we've got a year left on our deal and we're going to honour it.'

The onus is on the Leafs front office to decide, 'are we fine just bringing Marner back and just figuring this out in a year when both Tavares and Marner are up, or are we going to be temped to look at what teams might throw our way, especially closer to the draft in Vegas?' And that's unanswered, quite honestly. Nobody in the Leafs organization knows how that's going to play out."

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
there are any number of x.com accounts devoted to bashing this team and this player, you post plenty of their xes here. do you really think that everyone should hold the same opinion?
It's 1 thing to be a fan of a guy and defend them. But, it's quite another thing entirely when you add a horrendous take to it.

Reactions: HolyCrap

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
I think there is something to Hyman going to the Oilers beyond just money. Thinking Dubas low balled him or minimizes his contributions trying to bring down his asking price. 5 million per year for him is a steal right now.

Too bad we couldn't afford him because Marner massive demands. I said it shortly after Marner signed. A presedence was set by Marner... now every good young player on this team is going to go looking for the highest bidder. Why would anyone want to take less money then their market value? Knowing full well that Marner they had to do it because Marner is greedy.

I'm sure this is what happened with Hyman.
They never should have given Matthews more than Tavares on that contract imo. That started the ball rolling. And they definitely never should have given Marner 4 million more than nylander. That was insane.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
They never should have given Matthews more than Tavares on that contract imo. That started the ball rolling. And they definitely never should have given Marner 4 million more than nylander. That was insane.

Kyle Dubas "we can and we will"...one of the worse GMs in Leaf history considering what he inherited.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Matthews and Marner could both move into top 5 in all time Leaf scoring by the end of the season.
No doubt if they finish their careers here they will finish 1-2 all time. Pretty remarkable.

If they trade Marner this summer, Nylander could move past him in Leafs scoring by the end of the season.

Reactions: arso40

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
His point total would most likely go through the roof as would McDavid's goals. I get frustrated as well with him and I definitely think he was highly overpaid but he's not nearly as bad of a player as some of you make him out to be.
If his totals would go through the roof playing with McDavid, what about if he played with an even better goal scorer, like maybe Matthews?

Reactions: bax

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
He thought he was at the forefront of a changing game and it absolutely killed us. Let’s hope the cap goes way up.

I mean the game did change away from Boston and LA teams that didn’t have a great skater between them to a streak of Pitts, TBL, Colorado, Vegas that skated teams into the ground. Not that they weren’t also capable of playing a heavy game but the speed did most of the damage. We just got slower every year instead for some incomprehensible reason.

Reactions: bax

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
If his totals would go through the roof playing with McDavid, what about if he played with an even better goal scorer, like maybe Matthews?
McDavid is a pretty good goal scorer too. Would you be at all surprised to see McDavid score 70+ goals? If hyman can thrive playing with McDavid then I’m quite sure so would Marner.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
McDavid is a pretty good goal scorer too. Would you be at all surprised to see McDavid score 70+ goals? If hyman can thrive playing with McDavid then I’m quite sure so would Marner.
I'm not so sure. Hyman fights for the puck in the corners (which is how he picks up most of his assists), and battles in the slot, (which is how he picks up most of his goals) - Mitch does neither.

We've seen that Matthews does as well or better without Mitch - no reason to think otherwise about McDavid.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Buffalo has a boatload of prospects, wonder if a deal could be had with them. They seem to have a need for a "high production" forward. They have three high ceiling younger defenders. Not sure if they'd be open to trading Powers or Byram. Marner I'm sure would be happy to stay near Toronto.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007

With trade rumours swirling and fans preparing their best mock trade proposals, TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun revealed on Thursday evening that, as it stands, Marner has not been asked to waive his no-movement clause or prepare a list of teams that he'd be willing to accept a trade to.
After the press conference, I got the double-down vibe from the Leafs management. MM may be a Leafs until the clean house.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

Started with his prolonged negotiation with Nylander. No reason to drag it to the final hour only to fold to his demands. Matthews' and Marner's agents smelled blood in the water and Dubas caved much quicker for them.

In an ideal world, Tavares should've been the ceiling.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
After the press conference, I got the double-down vibe from the Leafs management. MM may be a Leafs until the clean house.
I would say it’s 99% the core is back.
What has management done to suggest otherwise. They just keep racking up the new contract payments.

Last edited:

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
I would say it’s 99% the core is back.
What has management done to suggest otherwise. They just keep racking up the new contract payments.
So we can expect 7 more years of the same ineffective core and roster construction……..

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
So we can expect 7 more years of the same ineffective core and roster construction……..
Exactly. Leafs don’t have the culture to do the necessary things.
There is a reason Boston would move on from a Thornton, they didn’t believe he had the intensity and team identity for the playoff haul. What would we do, pay him more and expect they figure it out.

People are worried about one Marner. The Bruins have moved on from more than one that didn’t fit the team standard and accountability.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Exactly. Leafs don’t have the culture to do the necessary things.
There is a reason Boston would move on from a Thornton, they didn’t believe he had the intensity and team identity for the playoff haul. What would we do, pay him more and expect they figure it out.

People are worried about one Marner. The Bruins have moved on from more than one that didn’t fit the team standard and accountability.
Ya and the crazy part is management and some fans think this core is going to figure it out. If they havnt done it in 8 years they never will

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Ya and the crazy part is management and some fans think this core is going to figure it out. If they havnt done it in 8 years they never will
Leafs are run by white collar execs. If this core is back and Marner is given 12.5 x whatever, it’s 100% about selling jerseys.
Your very first meeting with Pelley was to tap dance you into acceptance.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Leafs are run by white collar execs. If this core is back and Marner is given 12.5 x whatever, it’s 100% about selling jerseys.
Your very first meeting with Pelley was to tap dance you into acceptance.
They should sell framed replica contracts with a pic of the player in the background and the stitched sleeve number underneath. If you buy the “Core Four” package, you pay 53% more.

Seems to be what they’re proud of the most.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad