Value of: Mitch marner in off season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Just get rid of Nylander and use that money for a goalie

Sure, but who? There is no such thing as a "can't miss" when it comes to Goalies. You can pay 7M for one and they may be terrible for some years. That's just how it is with Goalies. I'd rather take that money and trade for a seriously good top pairing D-man.

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
Sure, but who? There is no such thing as a "can't miss" when it comes to Goalies. You can pay 7M for one and they may be terrible for some years. That's just how it is with Goalies. I'd rather take that money and trade for a seriously good top pairing D-man.
Fine, that works too. Just think that it would be good for the Leafs to get rid of one of Nylander/Marner, and Nylanders easier to trade with his value/contract - mainly so that we'll never have to see another "Should the Leafs get rid of Marner/Nylander?"-thread again

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
Short term deals that bring you to the last year of RFA status were not nearly as common 7-10 years ago but not non-existent (Vasilevskiy, JT. Miller, Johansen, Nelson, Kadri, Palmieri, Buchnevich, Copp, S. Reinhart, Fiala, Montour, Kempe, Zacha)
Nelson is a good example for you. Signed a contract, backloaded, filed for arbitration, signed a one year deal, poised to become a UFA and then signed a 6 year deal. Biggest difference is that Nelson's QO was 3.5M and Tkachuk is 9M, but sure I'll give you this one. Unfortunately it's the only one really.

Kadri never had a contract that brought him within 1 year of UFA. The contract he's on had 2 RFA years.

Palmieri never had a contract that brought him within 1 year of UFA. His past contract had 2 RFA years.

So we don'[t need to discuss them. But you're sure these other players are the ones you want to compare Tkachuk with?

Johansen signed a contract that left one year of RFA like Tkachuk. And before Johansen finished that contract with Columbus he was traded.

JT Miller filed for arbitration, so a one or two year deal was going to be selected but they agreed to a two year deal before then. And before Miller finished that contract with the Rangers he was traded.

Buchnevich filed for arbitration, so a one or two year deal was going to be selected but they agreed to a two year deal before then. And before Buchnevich signed his next contract with the Rangers he was traded.

Mountour filed for arbitration, so a one or two year deal was going to be selected but they agreed to a two year deal before then. And before Mountour signed his next contract with the Ducks he was traded.

Reinhart filed for arbitration, so a one or two year deal was going to be selected but they agreed to a one year deal before then. And before Reinhart signed his next contract with the Sabres he was traded.

Like I'm not sure why you would use those players as an example when they are the antithesis to your position. You could include Josh Anderson and Trouba as well I guess? Just make sure you get all the unhappy players who wanted out lol. If anything you're showing that a player who doesn't sign the typical 2 year bridge deal (or one that brings him 2+ years from UFA), is likely not going to be with the team beyond their UFA period. Nelson, the worst of the bunch, being the only exception? Oof. I'm far more pessimistic with Tkachuk after reading your examples.

Copp filed for arbitration, so a one or two year deal was going to be selected but they agreed to a two year deal before then. Copp filed for arbitration again, so a one year deal was going to be selected but they agreed to a deal before then. Copp is now about to become a UFA as early as possible, we'll see if he stays in Winnipeg.

Fiala filed for arbitration, so a one or two year deal was going to be selected but they agreed to a one year before then. Fiala is still an RFA this season and we will have to see if he goes for the quick UFA route.

Kempe signed his 2M AAV contract after putting up 12 goals. Zacha signed his 2.2M AAV contract after putting up 13 goals. I think including Nelson was generous enough but we're not talking about the same tier players. A lot different having a fourth liner walk his way to UFA and having your franchise forward doing it. (Kempe breaking out now probably has the Kings regretting the contract....)

Last edited:

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Leafs will not be trading Marner, who is just a tiny hair's width below Auston Matthews on the "elite" scale. Together, with whomever you care to throw on that line, they are one of the best lines in hockey. You do NOT trade guys like AM or MM.

Nylander is a different story.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
And yes you can tell I’m frustrated with this team right now. As a fan of of over 45 years just once in my life time can I see the leafs win a cup. Time to do what ever is needed
This is a great forum for venting about the troubles of your affable team. We're all here to help you. No doubt everyone is making an effort to present trade deals that reach out to help the Leafs and their nice fanbase even a little bit.

🚮

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
I'd rather trade Nylander for a 2nd round pick then trade Marner. If not for matthews and Marner leafs would be fighting for a top 5 pick. So tired of this trade mitch nonsense cause he's twice the player Nylander and Tavares are.

gearharb

Apr 12, 2007
USA!!!
I don't understand the aversion to trading Marner? I saw someone say they would only get something reduced in return, similar to the Eichel trade. However, if you subtract Marner and his $11M from the roster and added the Eichel return (Tuch, Krebs, 1st) I think you;d be in good shape getting two NHL-ready forwards and $6M in cap room to go after a RHD and a goalie.

How would they not be a better team?

Mohar Ikram

Dec 27, 2021
Muadzam Shah, Pahang, Malaysia
don't understand the aversion to trading Marner? I saw someone say they would only get something reduced in return, similar to the Eichel trade. However, if you subtract Marner and his $11M from the roster and added the Eichel return (Tuch, Krebs, 1st) I think you;d be in good shape getting two NHL-ready forwards and $6M in cap room to go after a RHD and a goalie.

How would they not be a better team?
It is simple. They cannot see the logic of what bigger cap space can impact the team building for competitive playoffs.

Plus, they smitten with Marner so much that they forgot how he reacts in last seasons playoff by posting his wedding photos after they lose the first round. Where is his courtesy on timing I don't know.

In fact, they forgot how Nylander reacts on the game 7 last year. Yes he is sometimes on, sometimes off. But you knew he will never quits with the team and never do silly mistakes in playoff (like puck over the glass) albeit he also not performing well.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Which Detroit did when they traded Primeau. Its a gamble but sometimes you have to gamble to win. Now Marner is better than what Primeau was but hes also worse than what Yzerman was.

Not saying trading Marner is the solution but you're not gonna be able to trade Tavares either.

As for stable goaltending and a top-4 D I guess you have to hope for the prospects to shine there for you cant afford to pay for both.
Actually.....HF is going to hate that myth falling apart when they realize JTs contract was designed to be traded with most of it already paid. He'll be easy to trade.

HF always knows the Leaf situation so well in that it always hopes for and assumes the worst.

We suffer enough in the playoffs. Not sure why people waste so much time imagining potential problems but I can't imagine it's healthy.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Marner has something very in common with the big 5 in Kucherov, McDavid, Matthews, Mackinnon and Draisital, in that those 5 players (and Marner) are the only 6 players in the entire league who are career point per game and under the age of 30.

Is this one of these "which item does not belong?" quizzes?

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
I don't think Matthews will sign that short of a deal in Arizona to make coming back possible, maybe after?
Why do people think he will go to Arizona just because he's from Arizona?
like Arizona barely has money or any money coming in
they are a boarder line dying franchise who had troubles paying OEL his full salary on time and he's making way less than Matthews
I could see Matthews signing with the Rangers or Florida before Arizona

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Actually.....HF is going to hate that myth falling apart when they realize JTs contract was designed to be traded with most of it already paid. He'll be easy to trade.

HF always knows the Leaf situation so well in that it always hopes for and assumes the worst.

We suffer enough in the playoffs. Not sure why people waste so much time imagining potential problems but I can't imagine it's healthy.
:laugh: Really, Tavares contract was Dubas doing 4D chess? Brilliant!

Reactions: Hobnobs

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011

Ah persecution complex. Good luck with that. :laugh:

sasha barkov

Nov 4, 2016
You are mocking him by suggesting worse teams have a better chance?

We arent getting McDavid but your logic is magical.
both teams will be serious cup contenders by the time McDavid hits UFA, I’d imagine he’d want to leave that frozen tundra and come compete for a cup in California with two teams with extremely deep rosters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad