Value of: Mitch marner in off season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
If the Bruins were capped out and sucked on defense and in net I would for sure. Especially if Pasta started choking in the playoffs like Marner. In fact, the second Pasta held out for outrageous money, I'd ship him out. Boston has built 15 years of success around the idea of only keeping core players who want to be there; and wanting to be there means taking a bit less.
Well I can't argue with that because the Bruins have continued to ship out good players who don't fit. With that being said the leafs also have Nylander that they can move as well to balance the roster. Marner is double the player Nylander is so I'd look to move Nylander first.

didimentionlarseller

Snipers are a dying bread in the NHL
Nov 23, 2014
St Henri
I think trading Marner for some defensive depth would solve a lot of problems for the leafs? He is very skilled but he needs to prove it in the playoffs

The team structure has always made me think he is the odd man out when you have two high dollar centres who are close to PPG already why do you need such a highly paid playmaker

With good scouting Toronto could try to find a couple Guentzel or Rust type players with the money from Marner also

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
I think trading Marner for some defensive depth would solve a lot of problems for the leafs? He is very skilled but he needs to prove it in the playoffs

The team structure has always made me think he is the odd man out when you have two high dollar centres who are close to PPG already why do you need such a highly paid playmaker

With good scouting Toronto could try to find a couple Guentzel or Rust type players with the money from Marner also
You don't trade Marner, hes a 90 point two way playmaking wizard who is gonna score 30 + goals this year. Hes also the best penalty killer in the NHL. I'd trade anyone on the team or in the organization before I trade Marner or Matthews.

weinsink

Feb 8, 2018
I really believe it’s time to retool the core. I’m not saying marner is the reason the leafs are struggling we all can see where the issues are. But to solve those issues we need cap room and players that play a stronger game with a bit of a mean streak. Marner to me is the one that has enough value to give leads a great return along with the cap space needed to retool. I know he is better then nylander by long shot. But I would rather the extra cap space and assets he would return over the cap space and assets nylander would bring back.

So would love to hear what people think is an honest value and to what teams....too overpaid

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland
Marner 25 playoff points
Matthews 24 playoff points
Nylander 23 playoff points

Pisters like to drive this playoff scoring that marner is a bum . He had a playoff last year that was bad in terms of points but so did matthews. They had their chances but price stoned them, nylander had more points but his line played against the number 3-4 dmen in the habs.

Marner matthews played against weber and petry as well as a premier shut down player in danault.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Marner 25 playoff points
Matthews 24 playoff points
Nylander 23 playoff points

Pisters like to drive this playoff scoring that marner is a bum . He had a playoff last year that was bad in terms of points but so did matthews. They had their chances but price stoned them, nylander had more points but his line played against the number 3-4 dmen in the habs.

Marner matthews played against weber and petry as well as a premier shut down player in danault.
Playoff production of the big three is about equal- all have played 32 games. No one will accuse any of them of being a Marie-Philip Poulin who can elevate her play when the games get bigger. Relative to regular season production Nylander is probably the best. He is .76 PPG in reg season and .72 in the playoffs. Matthews is 1.10 PPG in reg season and .75 playoffs. Goals is worse he scores .63GPG in reg season and .41 in playoffs. Marner is 1.04 PPG in reg season and .78 playoffs. His goals fall off a cliff too .31 GPG reg season and half that in the playoffs.

Weber/Petry did not play as a pair. Mtl rolled 4 D for most of that series Weber/Chiarot and Petry/Edmunston. 5th guy occasionally got a shift with one of big 4 against 3rd or 4th line. 6th guy got used on PP and not much else. Given that rotation I suspect all three of the big three saw similar ice time against the 2 big defense pairs.

Relative to what their regular season production is and what they are paid Nylander has been the best playoff performer. Matthews should be but he still hasn't learned how to buy in fully and play the game needed to succeed in the playoffs. Marner looked like he was playing scared of being hit by those big D all of that series last year.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Playoff production of the big three is about equal- all have played 32 games. No one will accuse any of them of being a Marie-Philip Poulin who can elevate her play when the games get bigger. Relative to regular season production Nylander is probably the best. He is .76 PPG in reg season and .72 in the playoffs. Matthews is 1.10 PPG in reg season and .75 playoffs. Goals is worse he scores .63GPG in reg season and .41 in playoffs. Marner is 1.04 PPG in reg season and .78 playoffs. His goals fall off a cliff too .31 GPG reg season and half that in the playoffs.

Weber/Petry did not play as a pair. Mtl rolled 4 D for most of that series Weber/Chiarot and Petry/Edmunston. 5th guy occasionally got a shift with one of big 4 against 3rd or 4th line. 6th guy got used on PP and not much else. Given that rotation I suspect all three of the big three saw similar ice time against the 2 big defense pairs.

Relative to what their regular season production is and what they are paid Nylander has been the best playoff performer. Matthews should be but he still hasn't learned how to buy in fully and play the game needed to succeed in the playoffs. Marner looked like he was playing scared of being hit by those big D all of that series last year.
What you didn't factor in is the loss of Tavares and Matthews wrist injury that he needed offseason surgery for. Not making excuses because their numbers should be better but there are a few mitigating circumstances to take into account as well.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
What you didn't factor in is the loss of Tavares and Matthews wrist injury that he needed offseason surgery for. Not making excuses because their numbers should be better but there are a few mitigating circumstances to take into account as well.
I'm looking at their career playoff numbers, that was last year only. Also everyone banged up in playoffs. Loss of Tavares hurt but should not have resulted in 2 guys making 11M being limited to 1 goal between them over 7 games. In fact it should have hurt Nylander more- he i9s the guy who plays with Tavares

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
I'm looking at their career playoff numbers, that was last year only. Also everyone banged up in playoffs. Loss of Tavares hurt but should not have resulted in 2 guys making 11M being limited to 1 goal between them over 7 games. In fact it should have hurt Nylander more- he i9s the guy who plays with Tavares
No matter what is said back and forth they need to be much better this year or big changes are coming.

Reactions: CDN24

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad