Salary Cap: Mitch Marner Contract Discussion Part VIII | We Waitin'

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
This whole perception that Lou is the godfather, he knows how to negotiate and everyone is scared of him is such a pile of ****. He made some good deals in Naz (his value was low at time), and Rielly. But he also made bad ones in Martin, Marleau, Z.

It's almost like GMs are human and will make mistakes here and there. This whole anti-Dubas thing is pathetic.

P.S. Be prepared to hear that Dubas, even though he wasn't GM at time had a part to do with Z and Marleau deals, thus protecting and maintaining the Godfather's image.

Lou signed a 35 yr old, injured Mogilny out of the lockout... then sent him to the minors to get out of his deal.

Lou signed Malahkov to a crappy deal, then had to pay a first rounder to get out of his deal (to SJ I believe).

Lou signed a 35 year old Brian Rolston to like 4 or 5 years... then had to get rid of him to Boston.

Lou gave a depth player like Zubrus a 6 yr deal at almost $3.5M when the cap was $50M which amounted to 7%. That's the equivalent to about a $6M deal now for a 3rd liner.

Lou gave Ryane Clowe a 5 year, $4.85M per deal coming off a 3 goal 16 pt season. He scored 8 goals TOTAL for the Devils.

I was petrified and frantic when he came to the Leafs. I had this discussion with my buddies how overrated Lou was. He then signed Matt Martin, Patrick Marleau and Nikita Zaitsev to poor/awful deals.

Lou is an abysmal GM.

ABYSMAL.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Literally 10 people have said it on these boards in the past week and that's just what I've seen with a casual perusing. They are clueless of course, there's no feasible way you can call it a mistake. We could unload Tavares TODAY for pretty much any asking price. How is having a valuable asset a mistake?
I do admit to selective reading.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
You don't think that maybe the fact that Nylander, Matthews and Marner were on entry level contracts might be a factor there?

I doubt taking on an $11+ million caphit in Tavares was in Lou's plans when those three were drafted and Marleau brought in.

That was a choice the Leafs made with all of those players due for their raises and Marleau/Zaitsev already on the books.

We'll see in the coming years if it was the right one.

Reactions: nuck and ToneDog

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Lou signed a 35 yr old, injured Mogilny out of the lockout... then sent him to the minors to get out of his deal.

Lou signed Malahkov to a crappy deal, then had to pay a first rounder to get out of his deal (to SJ I believe).

Lou signed a 35 year old Brian Rolston to like 4 or 5 years... then had to get rid of him to Boston.

Lou gave a depth player like Zubrus a 6 yr deal at almost $3.5M when the cap was $50M which amounted to 7%. That's the equivalent to about a $6M deal now for a 3rd liner.

Lou gave Ryane Clowe a 5 year, $4.85M per deal coming off a 3 goal 16 pt season. He scored 8 goals TOTAL for the Devils.

I was petrified and frantic when he came to the Leafs. I had this discussion with my buddies how overrated Lou was. He then signed Matt Martin, Patrick Marleau and Nikita Zaitsev to poor/awful deals.

Lou is an abysmal GM.

ABYSMAL.
Yeah exactly all terrible deals and before his time in Toronto. Lou was great in the 90s. But in this new era of the salary cap, he is terrible. So glad he's on the Island.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I doubt taking on an $11+ million caphit in Tavares was in Lou's plans when those three were drafted and Marleau brought in.

That was a choice the Leafs made with all of those players due for their raises and Marleau/Zaitsev already on the books.

We'll see in the coming years if it was the right one.

It is time we stop blaming Lou for all our cap troubles.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
Yeah exactly all terrible deals and before his time in Toronto. Lou was great in the 90s. But in this new era of the salary cap, he is terrible. So glad he's on the Island.

Yup. It'll just take some more time for people to realize how atrocious he is. He just hasn't had enough time to make terrible moves yet. They are coming without a doubt.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Well were we in cap hell when Lou was here ? We were able to fit Nylander in with 10+ last year. Now we are in cap hell. Do you seriously want to blame Lou for this cap hell because of the Marleau contract ? This is mostly on Kyle.
Its mostly on Kyle that Matthews and Marners ELC's expired and they are now getting raises????

I genuinely cant tell if you're trolling right now.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
We do not know where we would be cap wise if Lou had stayed. What we do know is that Dubas has been here all along and he is the GM that has gotten us where we are now. He said we could and we will. He did not say anything about fumbling the ball.

What I know is Marleau was considered among the worst contracts in the NHL 2/3 into its length and we lost a 1st round pick as result. And the only other name on that contract was Lou.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Probably because our best players were all on ELCs

So if Kyle knew this ELS bullshit was coming down the pipe, why sign JT ? Once you sign JT, one of the big 3 needs to go if you cannot make the cap work. Dubas said we can and we will yet here we are. That is not on Lou unless you have a hard on for boy wonder.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Yup. It'll just take some more time for people to realize how atrocious he is. He just hasn't had enough time to make terrible moves yet. They are coming without a doubt.
He's already made some. All those signings for the Islanders past off-season were terrible. Sure they had a good year as a team, but Komarov for 3 years at 3M per? Martin 2.5M per? Damn.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
What I know is Marleau was considered among the worst contracts in the NHL 2/3 into its length and we lost a 1st round pick as result. And the only other name on that contract was Lou.

I hear you and I agree but it is not like Dubas did not know what the playing field was when he took over. He signed JT thinking he could fit everybody under the cap and now he can't. Is that Lou's fault ?

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
So if Kyle knew this ELS bull**** was coming down the pipe, why sign JT ? Once you sign JT, one of the big 3 needs to go if you cannot make the cap work. Dubas said we can and we will yet here we are. That is not on Lou unless you have a hard on for boy wonder.
Yeah man, f*** kyle for signing a franchise center.

You realize Lou signed PATRICK MARLEAU for 3 years when literally everyone knew that Matthews and Marner would need raises and Marleau would get in the way.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I hear you and I agree but it is not like Dubas did not know what the playing field was when he took over. He signed JT thinking he could fit everybody under the cap. Is that Lou's fault ?

I think he signed JT knowing hed have to be creative to shed salary in the offseason and signing a centre like that would be worth it.

Now fair play I suppose if folks dont agree with that, but imo it was the right decision.

Reactions: kb

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
So if Kyle knew this ELS bull**** was coming down the pipe, why sign JT ? Once you sign JT, one of the big 3 needs to go if you cannot make the cap work. Dubas said we can and we will yet here we are. That is not on Lou unless you have a hard on for boy wonder.
I'm not sure what you mean by ELS bullshit, but probably because Tavares is an elite player who could be easily acquired, and Dubas would be stupid to pass up on that opportunity for cap reasons.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
, how
Yeah man, **** kyle for signing a franchise center.

You realize Lou signed PATRICK MARLEAU for 3 years when literally everyone knew that Matthews and Marner would need raises and Marleau would get in the way.

Dude I was on the Tavares train for a year. At the time I said I would trade Kadri if needed to in order to fit him in. Lou has cost us a 1st to dump Marleau. With Marleau gone, if we are still in cap hell, how is it Lou's fault??

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I'm not sure what you mean by ELS bull****, but probably because Tavares is an elite player who could be easily acquired, and Dubas would be stupid to pass up on that opportunity for cap reasons.

Sure sign JT but understand the cap consequences. Marleau is gone but we are still in cap hell. How is that Lou's fault now?

Reactions: Bomber0104

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Yeah man, **** kyle for signing a franchise center.

To be fair to Lou, no one thought for a second JT would come home at that time. I thought he'd be an Islander for life. So during Lou's time if no JT comes, the Leafs have more than enough for all 3 of 34, 29, 16 as well as accommodating Patty for his 3rd year.

Problem happened when JT went FA. That's when we had to get creative with cap and no longer offer 8-year deals to our ELC stars. Leafs saw a window to be very competitive down the middle for close to a decade and they took it. I'd do it too.

It's been beaten to death but if a player like JT comes to market you scoop him up right away and maneuver around cap after. Core was on board with JT coming along, poor JT didn't know how greedy these kids are though.

JT played his entire career being underpaid and didn't go for money until UFA. What a change in mentality from that generation to this current generation of players.

Reactions: stopclickbait
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad