Salary Cap: Mitch Marner Contract Discussion Part VIII | We Waitin'

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
All jokes aside, I wish I could track down the Starbucks where Dreger and Paul peruse Leafs Twitter news over cinnamon dolce lattes.

Oh to listen in on the "aw shucks" and "go get 'em tiger!" hyping from Paul towards Dreger...would be enough laughs to last a lifetime.

Reactions: kb and HR Pickens

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Some coaches have given him that kind of praise to be honest. Honestly, I think Marner might have a better reputation around the league than he does by our fanbase.

Kid is a star.
He is an elite star player. But he isnt a top 10 player yet by most metrics( no one on the leafs is rn). 14 million in a 5 year deal is Bobby Holik level bad. That's a 4+ million overpayment for Marner and to live up to that deal marner needs to be dropping 120+ points constantly. The pressure any player would get from having to live up to that sort of deal is unimaginable. I doubt it's a true report. Dreger just wanting to create some interest.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Some coaches have given him that kind of praise to be honest. Honestly, I think Marner might have a better reputation around the league than he does by our fanbase.

Kid is a star.
At that price tag? I wish him luck. And I send my condolences to that GM's family...he's going take a big financial hit when he's left applying to his local Mcdonalds

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
At that price tag? I wish him luck. And I send my condolences to that GM's family...he's going take a big financial hit when he's left applying to his local Mcdonalds

I wasn't talking about price tags.

Whats wrong with working at McDonalds? ;)

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
That is precisely your style. Like exactly to a tee.

Posters aren't "claiming" that wingers make less then C, look at the league they just do.

Kane is tied with highest on his team with a C (again of coarse you ignore to mention that).

Kane and Toews is a great example of a C that is not close to as good of a player but paid the same as the W. For Marner, he is worse then the C.

Kucherov's #1 C hasn't signed his contract yet. He will sign this year.

Nice 2 "comparables".

Kuch is being compared to Stamkos. The logic that the message board fans are trying to pass is that because Stamkos is a centre, Kuch should not have been able to reasonably ask for more per year. I'm saying, I think good players get paid regardless of position. Does position play a role? Sure, but so do a number of other factors. Such as health, total points, and usage in all areas.

I'm not disputing that on average centers are paid more than wingers. I'm disputing the claim that because matthews is a centre, he must be paid SIGNIFICANTLY more than Marner.

Kane and Toews is being highlighted because I believe that's the reasonable solution, to pay both guys the same. At one point people thought Toews was far more valuable. Now that seems crazy to think. Who knows what happens in the future with marner and matthews. Matthews could be injury prone his whole career. Maybe matthews never reaches that potential people always talk about, and he never passes being a 40-40 guy.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Let him walk for 4 first and build up our defence. I think for dubas it would be almost a best case scenario. Frees up a ton of cap space, get 4 picks and saves face that another gm went ****ing bananas.

Most likely scenario there is Dubas is canned during the season. Unless we somehow get better without our best player.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
All jokes aside, I wish I could track down the Starbucks where Dreger and Paul peruse Leafs Twitter news over cinnamon dolce lattes.

Oh to listen in on the "aw shucks" and "go get 'em tiger!" hyping from Paul towards Dreger...would be enough laughs to last a lifetime.
I saw Dreger today at MC talking to one of Leafs AHL scouts so at least he is hanging around the rinks. Probably where he heard about the 'teens' deal speculation. But listening to him on radio it makes people think it is about Marner. Sneaky guy.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
4 firsts unprotected sounding better with each OS speculated at over 11 million.

I absolutely love Marner, but I’m a pragmatist too. 4 firsts might eventually bring back a player of comparable quality and at least shore up other areas of need in the prospect pool.

Reactions: kb

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Him and Tavares make a great duo on that line. It's not all Marner. Kane isn't the highest paid. He's tied with Toews. Use your words carefully. I explained why Kuch gets more than Stamkos, not my issue if you don't want to believe.

Marner draws more attention from defenders with the puck.

I should send you my reel of Tavares goals this year. A crazy amount were tap ins to a wide open cage the result of either a primary or secondary pass that marner facilitated.

Don't get me wrong, I want to have both together, and they are born important, but marner is the engine.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
This would be ideal. There is no option of matching 13 or 14 x5. Makes it super easy for management to take the picks and for the fanbase to understand that it was the right decision.
yes, it would be incredible. Plus any team paying Marner 14 million is likely to be a lottery team. Unfortunately, I don't believe for a second that there's such a clueless GM out there. it's simply a case of Dreger selling out any integrity he had left to hopefully drive up Marner's price

Reactions: biotk

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
4 firsts unprotected sounding better with each OS speculated at over 11 million.

I absolutely love Marner, but I’m a pragmatist too. 4 firsts might eventually bring back a player of comparable quality and at least shore up other areas of need in the prospect pool.

In trade or by drafting?

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Who are the people saying this and why would anyone listen to them?
He doesn't really mention but I'm assuming some of our fans, fans of other teams, and maybe some hockey people. Either way, Dubas and Shanahan don't care what others think. They do what's best for the team. JT was the right move. I'd do it again. Everytime.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Kuch is being compared to Stamkos. The logic that the message board fans are trying to pass is that because Stamkos is a centre, Kuch should not have been able to reasonably ask for more per year. I'm saying, I think good players get paid regardless of position. Does position play a role? Sure, but so do a number of other factors. Such as health, total points, and usage in all areas.

I'm not disputing that on average centers are paid more than wingers. I'm disputing the claim that because matthews is a centre, he must be paid SIGNIFICANTLY more than Marner.

Kane and Toews is being highlighted because I believe that's the reasonable solution, to pay both guys the same. At one point people thought Toews was far more valuable. Now that seems crazy to think. Who knows what happens in the future with marner and matthews. Matthews could be injury prone his whole career. Maybe matthews never reaches that potential people always talk about, and he never passes being a 40-40 guy.

Kane was better then, and when they signed many people questioned why it was the same, because Kane was better.

Look at the top paid players in the league, the majority of those players are C and the majority of those players score a lot of goals.

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
Most likely scenario there is Dubas is canned during the season. Unless we somehow get better without our best player.
That's probably the least likely scenario. I would say less than 10% of leafs fans would want marner signed at 13mil lol. I'd be good with improving our d with that cash. Tavares made marner significantly better. While marner only provided tavares with 2 points over his previous career high. I'd rather have my middle 1 2 punch and much better d

Reactions: kb

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
We open ourselves up to a world of possibilities without Marner though if his heart isn't in it here. D upgrades, Ferland signing, you name it. We suddenly have a lot of play money. I'm not afraid to lose a guy that doesn't want to be here. Was quite refreshing to see William Karlsson sign for 5.9per x 8yrs. A player that wanted to stay where he is. Took a hit on potential salary to to get the long-term deal. Those are the types of guys you want in the organization

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
It's the lesser of many evils.

I wouldn't have signed matthews to that deal, but it's done.

It is so easy for posters to suggest they wouldn't have signed Mathews to his deal. Do you think Dubas wouldn't have preferred 8 million? What leverage did Dubas have ? Can you imagine if Dubas let Mathews get to this point ? He would be getting roasted. Arizona would have likely come after him hard. In that specific case, you could argue Mathews could mean more to that team trying to be relevant and survive than any other player in the league. Marner is good, but he isn't going to go somewhere to help save a franchise. Like it or not, Dubas chose the lesser of two evils. Posters make it sound so easy. Mathews had all the leverage. Thankfully he enjoys playing in Toronto, so they came to a compromise.

Reactions: kb and Metroid
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad