Salary Cap: Mitch Marner Contract Discussion Part VIII | We Waitin'

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
not arguing everything here but...the state tax thing is not the strongest argument...yeah State Tax is better in Tampa but endorsements in Toronto would dwarf endorsement opportunities in Tampa...only reason it isn't strong is because it's easily put aside by the endorsements argument lol
Endorsements actually require some level of work, and effort by the party making them feel they earned that money. The state tax doesn't require anything different (assuming you have an accountant). You don't have to film commercials or go to promotional events. You just simply pay less tax.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Is McDavid and Eichel injury prone ? I assume most would say no.

Matthews played more games over his ELC then both of those players. This injury prone stuff is nonsense. No team pays a player based on them assuming he will be injured going forward.

These types of post are the exact reason people can't stand your "facts" on this board. You purposely use facts that are 1 sided and totally ignore everything else.

Matthews has missed stretches in multiple seasons. I would be more concerned about him. Just my opinion though.

I have not ignored anything. That's not my style. Message board hockey fans like to ignore things like claiming wingers should be paid less than centers but then being unable to explain Kane and Kucherov being highest paid on their teams.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
10 x 8 is on the table. Take it or leave it. You want to be a Leaf or you don't. That's big money. If you grew up a Leafs fan, you should be jumping at locking yourself up long term as one of the top paid wingers in the game. You show loyalty to the team, they'll do everything they can to keep you when the time comes. I truly think Kapanen and Johnsson saved their behinds by coming in at reasonable prices for more than just a year or two. They made it difficult they were getting shipped out for D help. Mitch wrecks his relationship with the organization he'll be gone eventually anyways. The contract won't matter. It's 80 million over 8 years Mitch, you in or you out?

Reactions: kb, Smif and bionic

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Marner drives his line from the wing. How does that factor in? BTW that's not from some stat I read, that's from watching games.
Him and Tavares make a great duo on that line. It's not all Marner. Kane isn't the highest paid. He's tied with Toews. Use your words carefully. I explained why Kuch gets more than Stamkos, not my issue if you don't want to believe.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
$10M6Y is not a great contract, but I would have no problem with it. As with the others, if there is an overpayment it's rather inconsequential, and if there is anyone on the team I'd overpay a bit it's Marner. For one, I'd much rather give an irreplaceable player $500K extra than see it go to the depth. And as the market is construed, star players and wingers don't get paid what they deserve. Might not be a good market contract, but it would provide good value.

Last edited:

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
$10M6Y is not a great contract, but I would have no problem with it. As with the others, if there is an overpayment it's rather inconsequential, and if there is anyone on the team I'd overpay a bit it's Marner. For one, I'd much rather give an irreplaceable player $500K extra than see it go to the depth. But as the market is construed, star players and wingers don't get paid what they deserve. Might not be a good market contract, but it would provide good value.

Believe it or not, I think this might be just what they finally all decide on.

10x6

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
Endorsements actually require some level of work, and effort by the party making them feel they earned that money. The state tax doesn't require anything different (assuming you have an accountant). You don't have to film commercials or go to promotional events. You just simply pay less tax.

I hear you and I am very aware of tax differences lol...they can feel however they want about it...if it's all about the almighty $$$ then what do they care really...they would have done it anyway lol

mattydamon

May 2, 2011
Victoria, BC
https://www.tsn.ca/radio/toronto-10...r-sheet-rfa-talking-period-and-more-1.1328186

Same cast - Dreger also says:

* Marner deserves AM34 money
* Kucherov isn't comparable as he was 'entering his MVP year* and was a year ago (ignoring he'd just scored 100 pts the previous year)
*says Kucherov makes more than Stamkos as argument for Marner (ignoring Stammer was 3 yrs ago while using the 1 year as reason for higher salary)

This dude is getting a cut from Ferris for sure.

Last edited:

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Dreger lol
Dreger is basically claiming that someone is going to offer Mitch a max contract. Sorry Dreger, but if a GM offers that he needs to be fired. If Ferris thinks Mitch is worth that, HE should be fired. And Paul really needs to STFU and stay out of this.

Reactions: kb and SAMCRO44

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Dreger :laugh:

Listen to yourself Darren.
Teams are willing to make Mitch by far the highest paid player in the league? And give up 4 1st round picks? Do you know how ridiculous that sounds?

Reactions: kb

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Uhh where do you get this half a dozen number?

It's just a guess if that wasn't obvious. But for the cost of 2 1sts, some teams will line up for sure. Not many teams are in our situation with so many very key players coming up to UFA status as we do. We paid 2 1sts for Kessel, who wasn't near as proven at the time.

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
10 x 8 is on the table. Take it or leave it. You want to be a Leaf or you don't. That's big money. If you grew up a Leafs fan, you should be jumping at locking yourself up long term as one of the top paid wingers in the game. You show loyalty to the team, they'll do everything they can to keep you when the time comes. I truly think Kapanen and Johnsson saved their behinds by coming in at reasonable prices for more than just a year or two. They made it difficult they were getting shipped out for D help. Mitch wrecks his relationship with the organization he'll be gone eventually anyways. The contract won't matter. It's 80 million over 8 years Mitch, you in or you out?
I'm actually in shock that he's not jumping on that deal. We live in a salary cap world and if he can't live on 80 million then he has real issues.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Wouldn't it be great if Marner left for 4 years, and then comes back after we get four 1st round picks on a Tavares-lite deal! ;)

**** Disclaimer ***** I am not saying this is what is going to happen.

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
By all means, I would let marner go if he wants over 10.5

Especially if its 13 mill LOL

Gimme a 1rhd, big top six lw (ferland) for marners money. Makes our team more balanced

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

Dreger seems to be completely insane

desperate to keep his job not insane . lol , he has very little inside info since Nonis left and he's reduced himself to outrageous statements in a desperate attempt to keep his paycheck

all you have to do is watch him and it's easy to see he's he's just pulling crap out of his ass

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Not to mention, I think Matthews camp used Malkin, Crosby as comparables and not Eichel or McDavid. Matthews got term equal to their first contracts post ELC and Dubas got him to come down on the cap % because he hadn't accomplished what they had.

Marner has no comparable to any of those 3.

A player with a career high of 73 points was able to use Malkin and Crosby as comparables??

Dubas is worse then I thought

Reactions: hotpaws

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Either Dreger is making shit up to get attention, eyeballs and clicks from fans (it's working, here we are discussing it) or Marner and his camp are truly insane. Giving a winger $13M per year is insane. We'll take the picks, enjoy your life wherever you end up, Mitch.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I'm actually in shock that he's not jumping on that deal. We live in a salary cap world and if he can't live on 80 million then he has real issues.
Do you think he's turned it down because he thinks he can't live on that?

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Matthews has missed stretches in multiple seasons. I would be more concerned about him. Just my opinion though.

I have not ignored anything. That's not my style. Message board hockey fans like to ignore things like claiming wingers should be paid less than centers but then being unable to explain Kane and Kucherov being highest paid on their teams.

That is precisely your style. Like exactly to a tee.

Posters aren't "claiming" that wingers make less then C, look at the league they just do.

Kane is tied with highest on his team with a C (again of coarse you ignore to mention that).

Kane and Toews is a great example of a C that is not close to as good of a player but paid the same as the W. For Marner, he is worse then the C.

Kucherov's #1 C hasn't signed his contract yet. He will sign this year.

Nice 2 "comparables".

Reactions: kb and Ziggdiezan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad