Salary Cap: Mitch Marner Contract Discussion Part VI | Marner Reportedly Turns Down 8 Year Term

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Agreed this team will never win if we pay our players more than the competition does.

In reality here is what the salaries should look like:

Nylander 5.5 Million
Marner 7 Million
Matthews 8.5

These guys are paid like multiple time Stanley Cup Champions. Its embarrassing and weird.

Nah the only thing that's weird is how people don't get how inflation works.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
If Marner signs a 11.16 x 6 year deal in Toronto I will be firmly on the fire Dubas asap train.

That would be one of the worst overpayments in history for an RFA.

Would need to know more about the alternatives. If Marner and another team force the decision to be

(10.568 x 5) vs (1st+1st+2nd+3rd) vs. (11.16 x 6) It's a tough call to make.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
After Dubas botched the Nylander deal, who thought he would follow up by botching the Matthews and Marner deals. He now needs to make some one sided deals to right the ship or he will start feeling the heat if this team starts slowly and fails to make the playoffs.
Ya this Marner situation will make or break his tenure as GM. We cant overpay another star, our depth is already going to be tight and that is with Marner making below 10 million which is a pipe dream now it seems.

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
Well, I'm an Isles fan so let's assume we were the ones giving up the four firsts. Would I want Marner at that cost? Probably because I think the team is close enough to competing for a cup and he would fill a glaring need. Plus there is still a decent pipeline of young talent in the minors. From the Leafs perspective? Those four picks would soften the blow but then again, you're close to competing for a cup! One or two key players from the current Leafs roster need to go in order to sign Marner and upgrade the defense. It sucks but this is the cap system we have today.

Ask yourself.
Tavares and 4 firsts
or
Marner??

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Nylander 6
Marner 8.5
Matthews 10

That's what I thought was fair.

You have to remember, these guys haven't won **** yet. Cant even pass 1st round

It is nuts how much these guys are making without having won anything as a team. Teams go into cap hell after winning one or more SCs not before winning a round.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Would need to know more about the alternatives. If Marner and another team force the decision to be

(10.568 x 5) vs (1st+1st+2nd+3rd) vs. (11.16 x 6) It's a tough call to make.
I dont really think an offersheet is going to happen.

I think it is a smart tactic by Dubas and co to justify their overpayments as our star players are all very greedy it seems.

Personally I would probably take the 4 1st round picks + 11.16 million in cap space and make a trade to get a good top pairing RD. Leafs cannot have 3 forwards making 40%+ of the cap. It will kill the team.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Nah the only thing that's weird is how people don't get how inflation works.

Oh my god...

Every person critical of the Dubas unprecedented dramatic overpayments cites cap percentage at time of signing.

These contracts really are unprecedented.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
A huge deposit will be made to Nylander's bank account on July 1st. It might not be as big as the deposits he left on the ice this year. Better come out flying this year cause you got no more excuses.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I dont really think an offersheet is going to happen.

I think it is a smart tactic by Dubas and co to justify their overpayments as our star players are all very greedy it seems.

Personally I would probably take the 4 1st round picks + 11.16 million in cap space and make a trade to get a good top pairing RD. Leafs cannot have 3 forwards making 40%+ of the cap. It will kill the team.

Problem is that might not be an option, if we're looking at 11.16x6 it's likely because a team made a 5 year offer just under the max comp threshhold. That's what makes it tough.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Problem is that might not be an option, if we're looking at 11.16x6 it's likely because a team made a 5 year offer just under the max comp threshhold. That's what makes it tough.
I dont think any sane GM is going to offersheet Marner for 10.5 x 5 (or whatever is under the threshold).

If JT rocked the leafs cap structure what would going out and massively overpaying an RFA on another team while giving up a lot of future picks do to that team's cap sturucute. All their RFAs will want top dollar and then some.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Well, I'm an Isles fan so let's assume we were the ones giving up the four firsts. Would I want Marner at that cost? Probably because I think the team is close enough to competing for a cup and he would fill a glaring need. Plus there is still a decent pipeline of young talent in the minors. From the Leafs perspective? Those four picks would soften the blow but then again, you're close to competing for a cup! One or two key players from the current Leafs roster need to go in order to sign Marner and upgrade the defense. It sucks but this is the cap system we have today.

Your organization and Owner might actually be the one promoting that idea as retribution for the loss of Tavares last summer.

Leafs sign Tavares and now put themselves in a difficult cap situation which exposes them to the potential of an offersheet, that could end up costing them one of their best young players.

"An eye for an eye" so instead of paying Tavares the $11-$12 mil they would have to keep JT on Long Island they replace him with Marner via offersheet.

As you know NYI new building needs name star players to sell tickets and pay the bills, and that would have a much bigger influence than some unknown future picks would on generating revenue. Also at Lou Lam's age is he really concerned about picks in 2022 and 2023 that might then be 3 years after draft day start making an impact on the NHL team in 2025-26?

NYI, NYR and Philly might all be the biggest candidates for an offer sheet for Marner.

Last edited:

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I dont think any sane GM is going to offersheet Marner for 10.5 x 5 (or whatever is under the threshold).

If JT rocked the leafs cap structure what would going out and massively overpaying an RFA on another team while giving up a lot of future picks do to that team's cap sturucute. All their RFAs will want top dollar and then some.

I think it's the only way Marner get's anywhere near 11 x 6. At this point I think we've called the bluff and will let the market decide whether his demands are reasonable.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
Your organization and Owner might actually be the one promoting that idea as retribution for the loss of Tavares last summer.

Leafs sign Tavares and now put themselves in a difficult cap situation which exposes them to the potential of an offersheet, that could end up costing them one of their best young players.

"An eye for an eye" so instead of paying Tavares the $11-$12 mil they would have to keep JT on Long Island they replace him with Marner via offersheet.

As you know NYI new building needs name star players to sell tickets and pay the bills, and that would have a much bigger influence than some unknown future picks would on generating revenue. Also at Lou Lam's age is he really concerned about picks in 2022 and 2023 that might then be 3 years after draft day start making and impact on the NHL team..

NYI, NYR and Philly might all be the biggest candidates for an offer sheet for Marner.
If this goes down down Dubas immediately get fired? Being serious here.
He will go down as the worst GM in the history of the team, if not league.
His career should be over.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Not as good as 4 first round picks. So not worth trading. Either we sign him to $10.5M or below or if he gets offer sheeted above that mark we just take the 4 firsts because I don't believe anyone will offer us anything better than that.

That is my thought, although there is some chance a trade partner would part with assets other than only picks to get a deal done so you do need to explore it. The problem is that he clearly wants that huge salary so very few potential takers. The only way to really mitigate is to sign a big UFA with the cap savings and with the crazy money being thrown around that is going to be tough. Duchene can play LW and is less likely to be the subject of a bidding war than Panarin but he is 28 and will be looking for 7 years at $9+ so they probably don't need two of those deals on the books. Panarin is a much safer bet to earn his deal but not sure TO is on his list of places to play. Its hard to see any way the Leafs get a real win here but 3 or 4 firsts probably gets you that missing RD so maybe that's it, plus some real cap flexibility for a year.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA

What in the f*** has Mitch Marner done for the Leafs?! I would honestly like to know. What has Marner done for this organization that every single other player on the roster and across this league don't also do for their team?

This guy is a f***ing airhead. Im getting serious JP Riccardi vibes. This guy loves blowing smoke up the media's ass while accomplishing absolutely nothing.

Reactions: BeSeeingYouSeattle

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011

Unfortunately, this will go in one ear and out the other with most who will shrug it off as "well the GM has to say that!". Whereas a media pundit whose job it is to drum up drama will literally say "I don't know if Marner rejected $11M" and there will be an outrage that Marner is so greedy for rejecting $11M :laugh:

Reactions: Maple Leafs

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Nylander 6
Marner 8.5
Matthews 10

That's what I thought was fair.

You have to remember, these guys haven't won **** yet. Cant even pass 1st round
And at full terms too! Wtf is thissss? Overpayments

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
Honestly, I just can't see the Isles offering that kind of money. However, we are perfect trading partners right now in terms of having what the other team needs. We need scoring punch and you need defense. We have a lot of controllable young defensive assets. I would not bet surprised if the Leafs dealt one of Kadri, Kapanen or even Nylander for Leddy, Pelech, Mayfield or perhaps even Dobson or Wilde in some sort of package.

As you know NYI new building needs name star players to sell tickets and pay the bills, and that would have a much bigger influence than some unknown future picks would on generating revenue. Also at Lou Lam's age is he really concerned about picks in 2022 and 2023 that might then be 3 years after draft day start making and impact on the NHL team..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad