Salary Cap: Mitch Marner Contract Discussion Part VI | Marner Reportedly Turns Down 8 Year Term

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
It's going to be interesting if that happens.
Internal comparables are what's important to Marner.

The league has gone crazy with RFA contracts.
The cap is no fun for me as a fan. It takes too much of the focus away from the actual play.
How many of his comparable players who are RFA are really a good comparable. The answer is none. Did they lead their teams in scoring the past two years. Both of those years his line was used as the shutdown line playing against the top players in the game.

It is laughable the people want to compare and apple to a tomato when the real comparable is on his own team.

horner

May 22, 2007
Why wouldn't he turn that down?

Matthews got 11.6x5. Why would Mitch take 11x8 when he's the better player?

Maybe 11x5 because centers get more and Matthews is the face, but less money AND more years? He'd be stupid to take it.
I agree

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
As other posters have pointed out, Nylander is too valuable to not play with Matthews/Tavares.

What we need is a 1.5 million C who is strong on the D side of the puck, can PK/face off well and has a decent GF/GA per 60 ratio.
Well I’m terribly off topic at this point but who are some of these $1.5 million centres of whom you speak? Would any fill in decently if one of our top C’s get hurt? I’ll leave it at that so I don’t detract too much from the Marner conversation.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Well I’m terribly off topic at this point but who are some of these $1.5 million centres of whom you speak? Would any fill in decently if one of our top C’s get hurt? I’ll leave it at that so I don’t detract too much from the Marner conversation.

Kadri for Jankowski and Brodie and that helps pay the new $80 million marner deal.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
According to CJ, Marner isn’t going to be visiting cities about offersheets due to the bad PR he’d get from it. Will still take calls thought.

CJ said talks aren’t really close right now. Thinks it gets done eventually, but the Leafs likely won’t like the number.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
According to CJ, Marner isn’t going to be visiting cities about offersheets due to the bad PR he’d get from it. Will still take calls thought.

CJ said talks aren’t really close right now. Thinks it gets done eventually, but the Leafs likely won’t like the number.

Yikes that is scary. worst part is CJ is smart....

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
Fair enough and good question :) I’m just trying to nip the misinformation away as quickly as possible.

I think a team with young talented Defense in theory is a good partner but I do not like the idea of trading a player like Marner for a defenseman not named Werenski or Dahlin. What defensemen are actually worth a player of Marner’s calibre? Who would the Blackhawks have traded Kane for that they wouldn’t have kicked themselves over afterward? A 21yr old Karlsson, Subban, Hedman ?
Yeah exactly....would be crazy tough to find the right deal.

And I completely agree about stopping the misinformation. Getting so pissed at the phrasing of these articles. Complete speculation but pawned off as facts from an insider.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
Kadri for Jankowski and Brodie and that helps pay the new $80 million marner deal.
It would help pay for Marner this year but Jankowski and Brodie need new contracts after this year. Isn’t that a bit dicey? If they were under contract longer might not be a bad trade. We need to look into resigning Muzzin after this year. Best thing to do is not overpay Marner and then we don’t need to panic trade.
Jankowskis metrics suck as well, bit of downgrade at 3C for sure.

Last edited:

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
PSA: Friedman did not say that Marner's ask is $11m, he did not say that Marner turned down $11m. Friedman concedes in the video in the OP that he does not know what Marner's ask is. Everyone needs to be smarter and qualify your information.

It was not reported that Mitch Marner turned down an $11m offer.

Didn't his agent say he wants Matthews money? That's 11M+ .....

member 300185

Why wouldn't he turn that down?

Matthews got 11.6x5. Why would Mitch take 11x8 when he's the better player?

Maybe 11x5 because centers get more and Matthews is the face, but less money AND more years? He'd be stupid to take it.
Hahaha, thats hilarious. Saying someone is stupid for taking 88 million dollars.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Nylander was maybe overpaid by 1/2 million a year or so I gather. If he had of signed for 6.3 million a year would it be helpful at all right now, I can’t see how. Nylander’s contract really isn’t that bad I don’t think and not sure how much barring it really has with Marner’s contract. If anything Dubas could say, “Willie is a better goal scorer than you so why do you deserve 4.5 million a season more then him?”​

If Nylander had signed for 600K less Marner would just demand 600K more than he is currently demanding. If Matthews had taken 1.4M less, Marner would just demand 1.4M more. He needs it all.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto

Should also receive a call from Dubas that he's being shopped now.

Reactions: biotk

member 300185

If Nylander had signed for 600K less Marner would just demand 600K more than he is currently demanding. If Matthews had taken 1.4M less, Marner would just demand 1.4M more. He needs it all.
I would not have pegged Marner for being greedy. I was wrong.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
You are so bias that that you can not even thing. Dubas stated several times that centers get paid more then others when announcing the Mathews signing taking dead aim at Marner it was such a bs moved by an idiot. That is who started this not required nonsense. Next time pay attention. And stop with the nonsense that I am his father. Look at my join date.

I've got Marner's dad opening his yap in public about Marner getting his before Matthews even signed, his agent opening his yap in public about Matthews contract the next ******* day and somebody feeding Dreger information that's extremely pro Marner and it's management's fault they can't shut there mouths?

I'm all for Dubas shutting his mouth as well but you'd have to be really in the tank to say this one's on the Leafs management

Your beyond help, when you fall in love with a player you go all the way

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo

If the Leafs won't like the number then it shouldn't get done. Time to grow some balls and do what is best for the team you are managing, Dubas.

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
who would have thunk it.

an unproven mill wanting more money than their worth...based on potential future abilities.

mills overpaying mills.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Well I’ll leave that up to Dubas but if you can cut costs for Marner and obtain a 3C + 3rd pair RHD, you’ve filled some holes.

If not a C, I like Rasmus Andersson out of Calgary.
Use Brown/Zaitsev/someone else for another C.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta

I hate to tell Marner and his agent this, but if he's openly taking calls about offer sheets he's going to take unbelievably bad PR. It will get out there. Heck I think they are underestimating how bad things might be already.

Honestly if the number isn't in the realm the Leafs can live with then it doesn't get done. It's a rough spot, but Marner is worth less than the team. He'll come to his senses, get traded, or sign an offer sheet and depending on the number his work place might change. I suppose you could say 10.5 is more than the Leafs would like, but that's as high as Marner will end up.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

if the Leafs don't like the number, trade him or let him sign elsewhere and collect 4 first round picks

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

Let him make his calls, if we get lucky he will find somebody stupid enough to give him the contract it's rumored he's demanding

Take the compensation and be done with this ****

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad