Salary Cap: Mitch Marner Contract Discussion Part VI | Marner Reportedly Turns Down 8 Year Term

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
For me the issue is not Marner carried JT or the other way around but rather if Rantanen signs for 9mil/8yrs and Marner really goes, I don’t care, I should be paid like JT and Matthews, that’s just wrong.

Rantanen and Marner are the closest comparable you can find and personally I give the edge to Rantanen.
It's going to be interesting if that happens.
Internal comparables are what's important to Marner.

The league has gone crazy with RFA contracts.
The cap is no fun for me as a fan. It takes too much of the focus away from the actual play.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Then what's the point of the cap then? If they don't enforce their rules, then anybody can be over the cap during the season and the league will not do anything? Doesn't make sense, man. The Leafs can be over the cap any time they want with no consequences?
Loss of draft picks, bad press...
But honestly, I think a Bird rule will happen sooner than later.
What I don’t understand is that, why is it easier for NBA teams to trade salary but it is close to impossible for NHL teams to do it.
Look at contracts like Perry or Dion or Loui Erickson it Lucic, if they are NBA players, teams wont force to buy them out or whatever as it is very easy for them to facilitate trades.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Again, don’t complain if the guys can’t cut it.
Those that think we are fine spending half the cap on 4 forwards have zero reason to complain.

We will see what happens.
Currently our D is decimated, we are trying to unload big hurdles like Marleau to ease the burden, and we will look at moving Kadri plus whatever we have too.

Stars are fine, but you need stars at other positions as well.

Not sure what point you're getting at. You'll very rarely see me complain about low-salaried players.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Better players playing with better players may have better results.

Matthews line mates:
  • Hyman 2nd and 3rd year player
  • Nylander rookie and 2nd. year
  • Johnsson rookie
  • Kapanen first full year

Marner linemates:
  • Bozak - veteran
  • van Riemsdyk - veteran
  • Kadri - veteran
  • Marleau - veteran
  • Hyman - 4th. year player
  • Tavares - superstar veteran

Exactly, who do you think benefited more
  • Marner playing with a prime aged superstar and 4th. year grinder
  • Matthews playing with a rookie and a player with less than a year experience
Rhetorical ...

Last edited:

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Just for giggles.

witch2.jpg

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

The cap is no fun for me as a fan. It takes too much of the focus away from the actual play.

To me that’s the problem, all these internal comparables are just excuses for Marner to say I want more money.
Is Laine going to sign less than Schef? Or Rantanen signs less than McKinnon? Did McDavid signed slightly more than Hall? Did Horvat went I need to get pay more than Loui Eriksson bc he sucks and he is getting 6.75mil a yr?
For a kid who claims to be a lifelong Leafs fans, bleeds Blue and White... he sure is not showing that with all these internal comparables crap.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

I agree. The magnifying glass on the business side today is hurting the enjoyment to me.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
The part you misquoted and bolded instead: They hired a Jack Adams winner coming off a Stanley Cup win and lucked into a Masterson Trophy winning goalie that turned his life around and literally set records in net for a team with a storied history. I mean, did you really need me to type this?

OK so net even. Marner elevates the play of his linemates and Tavares elevates the play of his linemates. One guy's production skyrocketed and the other guy's didn't. Guess who is who?

This isn't a video game man. What kind of increase are you expecting in Tavares points? Even if you gave him Crosby it would be hard to sky rocket his production from a 84 point starting location.

Point: 66 to 92.
Pasta: 20 something to 70.
Rantanen: 30 something to mid 80's

Now Marner hitting 94.

This is what happens when you pair all stars with all stars. Big jumps are due to the pairing never existing before. For example, let's say Barzal bust and Tavares put up numbers similar to 16 / 17 (66 points). What then? It would be 66 to 88 instead of 84 to 88.

If Marner played an entire season with a no.1 C last year he probably puts up ~80 as well and this sky rocket doesn't exist.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
We can't fault him for squeezing every last dollar out of negotiations - even if it is disappointing.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
To me that’s the problem, all these internal comparables are just excuses for Marner to say I want more money.
Is Laine going to sign less than Schef? Or Rantanen signs less than McKinnon? Did McDavid signed slightly more than Hall? Did Horvat went I need to get pay more than Loui Eriksson bc he sucks and he is getting 6.75mil a yr?
For a kid who claims to be a lifelong Leafs fans, bleeds Blue and White... he sure is not showing that with all these internal comparables crap.
Comparables since they are all signing at the same time.
If any of your examples were signing now you'd have to think they would get considerably more than they're making

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Classic Dreger. He’s had the leafs trading Kadri for the last 6 seasons. He puts it out there probably twice a year. Some day he might be correct. The insider!
Say it enough every year for most of his career and you might be right one day.

At this point the speculation is probably more warranted.
We need to sign Marner and need to overhaul the D. That money takes precedence over a 4.5 mil C no matter how good you think his contract is.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Comparables since they are all signing at the same time.
If any of your examples were signing now you'd have to think they would get considerably more than they're making
So if Rantanen signs for 9mil/8yrs, is not a close comparables for Marner?

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
Say it enough every year for most of his career and you might be right one day.

At this point the speculation is probably more warranted.
We need to sign Marner and need to overhaul the D. That money takes precedence over a 4.5 mil C no matter how good you think his contract is.
I suppose so but who are some decent third line centres at a lower cap hit? Nylander can’t do 3C so we can’t reduce quality down the middle too badly. Matthews or Tavares gets hurt and we would be in deep shit. When Kadri filled in at 2C last year while Matthews was hurt the team hardly missed a step. Imagine nick bonino or Ryan strome having to play as our third Center just because we want to gain a million in cap space by trading Kadri

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I suppose so but who are some decent third line centres at a lower cap hit? Nylander can’t do 3C so we can’t reduce quality down the middle too badly. Matthews or Tavares gets hurt and we would be in deep ****. When Kadri filled in at 2C last year while Matthews was hurt the team hardly missed a step. Imagine nick bonino or Ryan strome having to play as our third Center just because we want to gain a million in cap space by trading Kadri

I don't trust Kadri anymore. Does management? We'll see.

Reactions: The Spring Samauri

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Please, Dreger is being fed information by somebody in the Marner camp

Do you think he's smart enough to pull Marner going around the league and soliciting offersheets and talking about Marner being "disrespected" out of his ass do you?

So announcing the Matthews contract signing is what kicked this **** show off is it?

The next day Marner's agent was talking **** in the media and somebody is feeding very pro Marner stuff to Dreger

No bull****, are you Marner's old man?
You are so bias that that you can not even thing. Dubas stated several times that centers get paid more then others when announcing the Mathews signing taking dead aim at Marner it was such a bs moved by an idiot. That is who started this not required nonsense. Next time pay attention. And stop with the nonsense that I am his father. Look at my join date.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
They have two options...

Trade Matthews and pay Marner less than Kucherov or trade both and reset the internal cap. Once those contracts are on the books, they are on the books and everyone looks at them. There is no other solution and even firing Dubas will not change what has been done. The CBA could possibly help them out, or force them to unload one of these players.

Nah. They just have to gut the depth of the team and hope we churn out good players from the marlies. That's why teams like the leafs need to hold on to their 1sts like they are gold.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I suppose so but who are some decent third line centres at a lower cap hit? Nylander can’t do 3C so we can’t reduce quality down the middle too badly. Matthews or Tavares gets hurt and we would be in deep ****. When Kadri filled in at 2C last year while Matthews was hurt the team hardly missed a step. Imagine nick bonino or Ryan strome having to play as our third Center just because we want to gain a million in cap space by trading Kadri
As other posters have pointed out, Nylander is too valuable to not play with Matthews/Tavares.

What we need is a 1.5 million C who is strong on the D side of the puck, can PK/face off well and has a decent GF/GA per 60 ratio.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad