Prospect Info: Mitch Marner (continued)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
Unless a tidbit it shows up in a documentary ... I don't think you will ever see any of Hunter's ranking sheet. Why would he show it? Could be a lot of hurt feelings ... for no gain.

But it can't be any clearer that they preferred Marner over Strome.
Take it to the bank.

I think that is exactly his point.

Nobody knows a thing, it's all speculation based off rumors, and nothing more.

The only real evidence is the Columbus call, but you can spin that in any direction you want.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
Me too. Is there one where he ranks Eichel ahead of Marner?

Why are you stopping there?

Leafs had Marner over Mcdavid as well! No one can disprove that one!

Could have used good ol' Bourkie: "We had this player rated first overall"

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Knights’ Mitchell Marner named Pioneer Energy OHL Player of the Week

Monday December 7, 2015

Toronto, ON – The Ontario Hockey League today announced that Toronto Maple Leafs prospect Mitchell Marner of the London Knights is the Pioneer Energy OHL Player of the Week for the week ending December 6 after leading the league with 11 points in three games scoring seven goals and four assists with a plus-minus rating of plus-6.

Marner recorded three multi-point performances last week extending his league-high point-streak to 19 games and earned first star honours in all three Knights’ victories. He scored back-to-back hat-tricks with game-winning goals in both contests Friday night in a 6-1 win over Western Conference rivals the Windsor Spitfires, and Saturday in a 7-2 win over the Ottawa 67’s. In Saturday’s contest Marner matched a season-high with five points tallying two assists to go along with his three goals, the highlight of which was a first period shorthanded breakaway marker that sent 9,678 stuffed animals to the ice as part of the club’s 15th annual Teddy Bear Toss festivities. His week wrapped up Sunday afternoon with a goal and two assists as part of a 5-2 win over the Guelph Storm.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington

:laugh:

Rumor has it that Mark Hunter has Marner over Ovechkin, prime Mario Lemieux, and prime Gretzky as well.

Unless someone can show me a link that states otherwise, I think I'm going to have to believe this rumor that I heard.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Exactly, Hunter has made no such proclamation that we know of.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Two hat-tricks in two days.., selected for Team Canada.., over 2PPG..., tied for #1 in points for the whole OHL... and it's not even X-mas, yet..! This kid is hot..!!

Enjoy this new one, just out today.. Some great highlights..!

Mitch Marner
Center -- shoots R
Born May 5 1997 -- Thornhill, ONT
18 yrs. ago
Height 5.11 -- Weight 164

RECENT STATS:

2014-15 London Knights - OHL
63 Games... 44 Goals... 82 Assists... 126 Points... +36 *2PPG
-------------------------------------------
2015 PLAYOFFS
7 Games... 9 Goals... 7 Assists... 16 Points... +6 *2PPG+
---------------------------------------------------------------
2015-16 London Knights - OHL
(*Up to: Dec. 7th 2015)
25 Games... 22 Goals... 36 Assists... 58 Points... +25 *2PPG+

Remember Me: Mitch Marner 2014-15 & 2015-16 Extended Highlights - TML

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Two hat-tricks in two days.., selected for Team Canada.., over 2PPG..., tied for #1 in points for the whole OHL... and it's not even X-mas, yet..! This kid is hot..!!

Mitch Marner
Center -- shoots R
18 yrs. ago

RECENT STATS:

----------------------------------------*---
2015 PLAYOFFS
----------------------------------------*-----------------------

Can't view it at work but I plan to as soon as I get home.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
There may have been *some* scouts who ranked Marner second, but I don't know of a single source indicating that.

There was that one head scout who said he sees Marner outscoring Eichel in five years, but I don't think that means he had Marner second. Also, there have been some real idiots employed in head scout roles, e.g. Weisbrod.

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
Game is Gretzky-esque. Yup. Quote it.

He's not Gretz, but that's his game.

Would Wayne have been a lesser player if he was 2 inches shorter?

I think not.

GLG12xx12

Go Leafs Go!!!!
Dec 5, 2010
Boone, IA
I've heard everyone talk about his vision on the ice. After watching the highlight reel up above..... holy mother of god! I drooled over myself watching that as much as my dog drools over a steak on my plate

Beaumaris

May 21, 2015
Yep! I can remember Keon as a rookie and how exciting it was to watch a young player of his evident promise. There is no guarantee Marner will turn out to be like him, and, indeed, I would say that Marner is less promising defensively and more promising offensively than Keon. Though it is hard to say how much Keon's offense was restrained playing under an uber disciplined, defensive coach like Punch Imlach. But Keon did have a deadly backhand. The real comparison for me, however, is that Marner regularly makes me say, "Wow!" just as Keon did.

I think I may be the oldest poster on this board. I've been watching the Leafs a long time, have seen a lot of prospects disappoint, or only flourish after leaving the Leafs and am usually cautious about the development of young players. But Marner and Nylander are exciting in a way I haven't felt in a long time. The last time I felt this optimistic about a pair of Leaf prospects was when Sittler and McDonald were coming along.

Nice to know there are some other old timers on here.:handclap:

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
I'm excited to see what he can do in the world junoir and whether he can be a leader in that team. The US seems to be the favourites this years, wonder if Marner can change that.

figure

Nov 19, 2015
West Coast

Mitch Marner
Center -- shoots R
18 yrs. ago

RECENT STATS:

2015 PLAYOFFS

Seer I've seen your videos lately and first of all I want to say thank you for the time you put in, obviously it is a pretty cool hobby of yours.

Again, I am stressing that, thank you for the time you put in. I have some feedback for you on the quality of your videos.

First of all I appreciate your desire to separate yourself from other highlight reel youtubers by making "extended highlights" but this leads you putting in a LOT of filler to increase video lengths - not specifically this video but I've seem some of your highlight reels (Nielsen of the hurricanes) where there is almost no actual highlights and just random footage you scraped together. Basically you need to improve your quality control, quantity does not trump quality.

Secondly with your rendering choices, you only upload in 360p and 480p, this is 2015 and you need to start rendering your projects in 1080p, something you very much should adapt to. You might make the argument a lot of the clips you find are only in 360 or 480 but this comes back to quality control. For example, in this video you fraps (or used what ever recording software you have) the GIFS, I repeat GIFS - no hate on kadri91 for making them - but the incredibly low resolution and frame rate spikes is just not content you should be using to make these videos. Every single one of those highlights from this weekend were available in HD from sportsnet (their twitter feed + their homepage putting together their own brief highlight packages). My point there is just because you find some new highlights - doesn't mean you should feel comfortable about using really really bad copies of them.

Third is your editing choices - you have used the same red font and black edged filter in every single video - you basically staple that filter to every single clip and it looks pretty mundane after the 2nd highlight that has it - especially in grainy 480p. I think you need to start spicing up what you are using as apart of every single clip. High quality footage actually is made worse by these miss used filters - if you recorded all HD clips and kept each clip short and just to the point you wouldn't find yourself trying to dress everything up and cramming filler into each video, it would just look great as is.

I won't critique your music choices as that is a subjective taste - but I don't think I'm very far off the mark when saying Katy Perry or Micheal Jackson probably aren't the best used in a hockey highlight video.

Anyways, to regress - I do find your videos super awesome, I think it is great so many people can be introduced to players through them and I applaud you for the time you put in. I just feel like having the comments blocked on youtube has lead you to basically avoid any and all constructive criticism of your videos, leaving you basically in the dust when compared to some one else using all HD clips rendering in 1080p with very conservative clean editing - they're going to get the subscribers and you are going to be stuck with low video views. What I am suggesting is very simple things to accommodate into your videos to get you more views and most importantly more recognition for all the work you've done.

I don't even know if you'll read this but there yah go! Something to hopefully point you in the right direction - but also a big thank you I think you are doing a wicked job.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Count me in as well.....Was at the last leafs Parade.

I believe Marner has the ability to be the franchise player we need moving forward....Kid is super skilled and back checks hard. He loves that he is a Leaf...

Man, that's awesome. Not many people around here who can say that!

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
Anyone know what number Marner will wear for Canada? I'm wondering if it will be 9 (last time he represented Canada I believe), or his gonna get 93.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
i too am old enough to remember the cup parade, albeit as a youngster on my dad's shoulders, but I can tell you, I'm pretty excited about this kid.

Felstead

Boss Status
Feb 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Seer I've seen your videos lately and first of all I want to say thank you for the time you put in, obviously it is a pretty cool hobby of yours.

Again, I am stressing that, thank you for the time you put in. I have some feedback for you on the quality of your videos.

First of all I appreciate your desire to separate yourself from other highlight reel youtubers by making "extended highlights" but this leads you putting in a LOT of filler to increase video lengths - not specifically this video but I've seem some of your highlight reels (Nielsen of the hurricanes) where there is almost no actual highlights and just random footage you scraped together. Basically you need to improve your quality control, quantity does not trump quality.

Secondly with your rendering choices, you only upload in 360p and 480p, this is 2015 and you need to start rendering your projects in 1080p, something you very much should adapt to. You might make the argument a lot of the clips you find are only in 360 or 480 but this comes back to quality control. For example, in this video you fraps (or used what ever recording software you have) the GIFS, I repeat GIFS - no hate on kadri91 for making them - but the incredibly low resolution and frame rate spikes is just not content you should be using to make these videos. Every single one of those highlights from this weekend were available in HD from sportsnet (their twitter feed + their homepage putting together their own brief highlight packages). My point there is just because you find some new highlights - doesn't mean you should feel comfortable about using really really bad copies of them.

Third is your editing choices - you have used the same red font and black edged filter in every single video - you basically staple that filter to every single clip and it looks pretty mundane after the 2nd highlight that has it - especially in grainy 480p. I think you need to start spicing up what you are using as apart of every single clip. High quality footage actually is made worse by these miss used filters - if you recorded all HD clips and kept each clip short and just to the point you wouldn't find yourself trying to dress everything up and cramming filler into each video, it would just look great as is.

I won't critique your music choices as that is a subjective taste - but I don't think I'm very far off the mark when saying Katy Perry or Micheal Jackson probably aren't the best used in a hockey highlight video.

Anyways, to regress - I do find your videos super awesome, I think it is great so many people can be introduced to players through them and I applaud you for the time you put in. I just feel like having the comments blocked on youtube has lead you to basically avoid any and all constructive criticism of your videos, leaving you basically in the dust when compared to some one else using all HD clips rendering in 1080p with very conservative clean editing - they're going to get the subscribers and you are going to be stuck with low video views. What I am suggesting is very simple things to accommodate into your videos to get you more views and most importantly more recognition for all the work you've done.

I don't even know if you'll read this but there yah go! Something to hopefully point you in the right direction - but also a big thank you I think you are doing a wicked job.

To add to that.. This guy on YouTube I think does a hell of a job. Not over editing but just the right amount while still adding in dialogue.. Not to mention his music choices are bang on for a Hockey Tage if you ask me. Check out this one and others.

Edit: I know it's a Marner thread, the video is just being used as an example and it's a good watch if you haven't seen it. He has other montages for the recent draft class plus Kasperi Kapanen, Nazem Kadri, Mitch Marner, Morgan Rielly, Andreas Johnson

Last edited:

champs*

we are going to have willie on one line with a puck on a string and then next shift marner comes out lol other teams are going to saying wtf? :laugh::laugh:

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
To add to that.. This guy on YouTube I think does a hell of a job. Not over editing but just the right amount while still adding in dialogue.. Not to mention his music choices are bang on for a Hockey Tage if you ask me. Check out this one and others.

Edit: I know it's a Marner thread, the video is just being used as an example and it's a good watch if you haven't seen it.

I'll speak of Marner shortly, but that wrist/snap shot of Nylander's is just ridiculously good.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok

Mitch Marner
Center -- shoots R
18 yrs. ago

RECENT STATS:

2015 PLAYOFFS

I've been watching this team for 50 years. So glad to see talent in the system and Marner's abilities are drool worthy. Thanks for the vid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad