Prospect Info: Mitch Marner (continued)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lainehasaweirdface

May 14, 2015
For the umpteenth time ... they wanted Marner the whole time. Very obvious.

They were maneuvering to trade down in case Arizona took Marner. Which to me indicates they did not like Strome for some reason. And they probably felt that Zacha/Strome were a trade off ... so why not get some extra pick(s) and let someone else have Strome.

It makes no sense that Hunter was trying to get out from picking Marner ... no sense at all.

Knowing hunters preference for skill over size I think he might have gone with Barzal had Arizona taken Marner and the leafs traded back

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Knowing hunters preference for skill over size I think he might have gone with Barzal had Arizona taken Marner and the leafs traded back

That's a good point actually. If we wanted Barzal we obviously wouldn't have risked trading down so far, but imagine all the picks we could've gotten trading down from 4th to 16th... :amazed::amazed::amazed:

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
I'll speak of Marner shortly, but that wrist/snap shot of Nylander's is just ridiculously good.

Nylanders shot is freaking nuts. I can easily see him being the Leafs best goal scorer 2 or 3 years down the line. Marner seems more like and all around guy. He might be able to hit 30 goals in the NHL but I see a bulk of his points coming from assists. He's so good at making space for himself to find the open man.

I'm still in awe that we have both. Both are top 5 prospects right now.

Woll Smoth

Mar 17, 2010
Mississauga
For the umpteenth time ... they wanted Marner the whole time. Very obvious.

They were maneuvering to trade down in case Arizona took Marner. Which to me indicates they did not like Strome for some reason. And they probably felt that Zacha/Strome were a trade off ... so why not get some extra pick(s) and let someone else have Strome.

It makes no sense that Hunter was trying to get out from picking Marner ... no sense at all.

Yep, and with ARI having already drafted Domi and Dvo the idea of them drafting Marner was definitely something they had to plan for.

I remember reading a quote from Dubas saying he felt that they "over prepared" for the draft.

figure

Nov 19, 2015
West Coast
Nylanders shot is freaking nuts. I can easily see him being the Leafs best goal scorer 2 or 3 years down the line. Marner seems more like and all around guy. He might be able to hit 30 goals in the NHL but I see a bulk of his points coming from assists. He's so good at making space for himself to find the open man.

Ohhhh to get Matthews this year too... maybe aggressively trade up the Pittsburgh pick to try and land Sergachyov around 8th-10th and we are set!

Lainehasaweirdface

May 14, 2015
That's a good point actually. If we wanted Barzal we obviously wouldn't have risked trading down so far, but imagine all the picks we could've gotten trading down from 4th to 16th... :amazed::amazed::amazed:

First three rounds for the next three years sound like equal value? (I don't know how to use the sarcasm smiley)

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Ohhhh to get Matthews this year too... maybe aggressively trade up the Pittsburgh pick to try and land Sergachyov around 8th-10th and we are set!

I think Sergachyov will end up going in the 15-20 range to be honest, so if that was our guy I don't think we'd have to trade up as aggressively. I'm not sure how I feel about trading up in general, unless management is extremely set on one player; at this point in the rebuild, it always hurts to give up assets unless you feel a real need to make a move.

CBinTokyo

Jan 15, 2013
Tokyo
Seer I've seen your videos lately and first of all I want to say thank you for the time you put in, obviously it is a pretty cool hobby of yours.

Again, I am stressing that, thank you for the time you put in. I have some feedback for you on the quality of your videos.

First of all I appreciate your desire to separate yourself from other highlight reel youtubers by making "extended highlights" but this leads you putting in a LOT of filler to increase video lengths - not specifically this video but I've seem some of your highlight reels (Nielsen of the hurricanes) where there is almost no actual highlights and just random footage you scraped together. Basically you need to improve your quality control, quantity does not trump quality.

Secondly with your rendering choices, you only upload in 360p and 480p, this is 2015 and you need to start rendering your projects in 1080p, something you very much should adapt to. You might make the argument a lot of the clips you find are only in 360 or 480 but this comes back to quality control. For example, in this video you fraps (or used what ever recording software you have) the GIFS, I repeat GIFS - no hate on kadri91 for making them - but the incredibly low resolution and frame rate spikes is just not content you should be using to make these videos. Every single one of those highlights from this weekend were available in HD from sportsnet (their twitter feed + their homepage putting together their own brief highlight packages). My point there is just because you find some new highlights - doesn't mean you should feel comfortable about using really really bad copies of them.

Third is your editing choices - you have used the same red font and black edged filter in every single video - you basically staple that filter to every single clip and it looks pretty mundane after the 2nd highlight that has it - especially in grainy 480p. I think you need to start spicing up what you are using as apart of every single clip. High quality footage actually is made worse by these miss used filters - if you recorded all HD clips and kept each clip short and just to the point you wouldn't find yourself trying to dress everything up and cramming filler into each video, it would just look great as is.

I won't critique your music choices as that is a subjective taste - but I don't think I'm very far off the mark when saying Katy Perry or Micheal Jackson probably aren't the best used in a hockey highlight video.

Anyways, to regress - I do find your videos super awesome, I think it is great so many people can be introduced to players through them and I applaud you for the time you put in. I just feel like having the comments blocked on youtube has lead you to basically avoid any and all constructive criticism of your videos, leaving you basically in the dust when compared to some one else using all HD clips rendering in 1080p with very conservative clean editing - they're going to get the subscribers and you are going to be stuck with low video views. What I am suggesting is very simple things to accommodate into your videos to get you more views and most importantly more recognition for all the work you've done.

I don't even know if you'll read this but there yah go! Something to hopefully point you in the right direction - but also a big thank you I think you are doing a wicked job.

This is fantastic constructive feedback and I agree with both the points made and the thank you's and accolades given for making these videos. I was considering offering feedback as well, but don't have too much to offer beyond what was said here.

Honestly, I think the Mitch Marner one is the best so far. I have found that on some of the vids, the spoken audio, and the music clash and make it hard to enjoy either, but I think you struck a good balance in the Marner vid.

Thanks again for making them, and hope you find the feedback you are getting constructive.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
i too am old enough to remember the cup parade, albeit as a youngster on my dad's shoulders, but I can tell you, I'm pretty excited about this kid.

best thing about marner is the scouts are raving ,thats your benchmark ,we pay our money ,we hope to be entertained ,the scouts ,well they see a different projectory game ,and even some scouts have him closer to eichel and mcdavid that first previously sited.
just remember ,he needs to grow ,if we wait it;ll be worth it
\\\

mallory67

Jul 2, 2015
North Carolina
Seer I've seen your videos lately and first of all I want to say thank you for the time you put in, obviously it is a pretty cool hobby of yours.

Again, I am stressing that, thank you for the time you put in. I have some feedback for you on the quality of your videos.

First of all I appreciate your desire to separate yourself from other highlight reel youtubers by making "extended highlights" but this leads you putting in a LOT of filler to increase video lengths - not specifically this video but I've seem some of your highlight reels (Nielsen of the hurricanes) where there is almost no actual highlights and just random footage you scraped together. Basically you need to improve your quality control, quantity does not trump quality.

Secondly with your rendering choices, you only upload in 360p and 480p, this is 2015 and you need to start rendering your projects in 1080p, something you very much should adapt to. You might make the argument a lot of the clips you find are only in 360 or 480 but this comes back to quality control. For example, in this video you fraps (or used what ever recording software you have) the GIFS, I repeat GIFS - no hate on kadri91 for making them - but the incredibly low resolution and frame rate spikes is just not content you should be using to make these videos. Every single one of those highlights from this weekend were available in HD from sportsnet (their twitter feed + their homepage putting together their own brief highlight packages). My point there is just because you find some new highlights - doesn't mean you should feel comfortable about using really really bad copies of them.

Third is your editing choices - you have used the same red font and black edged filter in every single video - you basically staple that filter to every single clip and it looks pretty mundane after the 2nd highlight that has it - especially in grainy 480p. I think you need to start spicing up what you are using as apart of every single clip. High quality footage actually is made worse by these miss used filters - if you recorded all HD clips and kept each clip short and just to the point you wouldn't find yourself trying to dress everything up and cramming filler into each video, it would just look great as is.

I won't critique your music choices as that is a subjective taste - but I don't think I'm very far off the mark when saying Katy Perry or Micheal Jackson probably aren't the best used in a hockey highlight video.

Anyways, to regress - I do find your videos super awesome, I think it is great so many people can be introduced to players through them and I applaud you for the time you put in. I just feel like having the comments blocked on youtube has lead you to basically avoid any and all constructive criticism of your videos, leaving you basically in the dust when compared to some one else using all HD clips rendering in 1080p with very conservative clean editing - they're going to get the subscribers and you are going to be stuck with low video views. What I am suggesting is very simple things to accommodate into your videos to get you more views and most importantly more recognition for all the work you've done.

I don't even know if you'll read this but there yah go! Something to hopefully point you in the right direction - but also a big thank you I think you are doing a wicked job.

Well said ... and a lot of constructive comments in this post ...

But as a watcher and fan, I would say going to HD quality is the key piece of advice. These are after all fan videos ... and we are not shooting for an academy award.

As a fan I want to see the players and prospects in more detail, crisp video ... see the puck better etc.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Marner and Nylander = Kane and Toews

Rielly and Dermott = Keith and Seabrook

We're following the Chicago 3 cups in 5 years blueprint to future success.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Marner and Nylander = Kane and Toews

Rielly and Dermott = Keith and Seabrook

We're following the Chicago 3 cups in 5 years blueprint to future success.

If you really want to make the comparable...

Marner = Kane
Nylander = ?
? = Toews

Rielly = Keith
? = Seabrook
Dermott MIGHT have a chance to be Hjalmarsson (not to be understated, he's been key to them winning cups)

The positive here is that Nylander gives us a solid 2nd line centre which in my opinion the Hawks did not have on 2/3 of the Cup winning teams outside of B.Richards last year.

McLeod or Matthews could be your Toews. Still need another top 3 defenseman though in the group.

Just my opinion based on watching quite a few Hawks games over the years, they are my favorite team in the West :)

Last edited:

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario

Marner = Kane
Nylander = ?
? = Toews

Rielly = Keith
? = Seabrook
Dermott MIGHT have a chance to be Hjalmarsson (not to be understated, he's been key to them winning cups)

The positive here is that Nylander gives us a solid 2nd line centre which in my opinion the Hawks did not have on 2/3 of the Cup winning teams outside of B.Richards last year.

McLeod or Matthews could be your Toews. Still need another top 3 defenseman though in the group.

Just my opinion based on watching quite a few Hawks games over the years, they are my favorite team in the West :)
if we get matthews we got toews, a seabrook type of player would probably have to be developed internally maybe nielson and dermott can have the same impact as seabrook and hjalmarsonn, we need a sharp, a hossa, and a bolland imo if we want to win the cup. I think with kaps, brown, and goat we might be able to get worse version of these guys. Hopefully once we begin to contend we can get a big ufa like the hawks did with hossa. Still the hawks were blessed with all their depth they had buff, frolik, ladd, bickell, richards, vermette, all play big roles in the 3 cups. If guys like leivo, leipsic, sosh, johnson live up, than we could have a great team.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden

Marner = Kane
Nylander = ?
? = Toews

Rielly = Keith
? = Seabrook

Gauthier has a good chance of being our Krüger as well. It often gets lost that Toews isn't actually their #1 shutdown guy, and that Krüger does that job better than most players in the league. He's been important to Chicago.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009

Marner = Kane
Nylander = ?
? = Toews

Rielly = Keith
? = Seabrook

I feel like people assume that we need to emulate the hawks in order to be competitive when in reality there are many ways to go about it. at the root of their success and our failure is skill/ lack of skill. generally teams that win cups have a good collection of top end talent + support players who step up + a little bit of luck.

I think the leafs are starting to put together the top end talent. the goaltending probably is the position that needs the most help right now. Im not sure I see us going into the cup finals with any of bernier, reimer, sparks, or bibeau. the Zamboni driver might be ok, ill have to assess him after he gets into a few games.

tkachuck/laine/puljujarvi-nylander-xxxx
jvr-marner-xxxxx
komorov-kadri-xxxxx
xxxxx-goat-xxxxx

rielly-xxxxx
gardiner-phaneuf
xxxxx-xxxxxx

xxxxx
xxxxx

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
if we get matthews we got toews, a seabrook type of player would probably have to be developed internally maybe nielson and dermott can have the same impact as seabrook and hjalmarsonn, we need a sharp, a hossa, and a bolland imo if we want to win the cup. I think with kaps, brown, and goat we might be able to get worse version of these guys. Hopefully once we begin to contend we can get a big ufa like the hawks did with hossa. Still the hawks were blessed with all their depth they had buff, frolik, ladd, bickell, richards, vermette, all play big roles in the 3 cups. If guys like leivo, leipsic, sosh, johnson live up, than we could have a great team.

You might be able to move Kadri+ to get a defenseman who can be a top 3. We need to hit home runs with some draft picks though in later rounds, get some impact guys.

Also we need to be smart about any UFAs we sign. We can't mess up.

Gauthier has a good chance of being our Krüger as well. It often gets lost that Toews isn't actually their #1 shutdown guy, and that Krüger does that job better than most players in the league. He's been important to Chicago.

True enough, Kruger is so underrated, very feisty and tenacious.

I feel like people assume that we need to emulate the hawks in order to be competitive when in reality there are many ways to go about it. at the root of their success and our failure is skill/ lack of skill. generally teams that win cups have a good collection of top end talent + support players who step up + a little bit of luck.

I think the leafs are starting to put together the top end talent. the goaltending probably is the position that needs the most help right now. Im not sure I see us going into the cup finals with any of bernier, reimer, sparks, or bibeau. the Zamboni driver might be ok, ill have to assess him after he gets into a few games.

tkachuck/laine/puljujarvi-nylander-xxxx
jvr-marner-xxxxx
komorov-kadri-xxxxx
xxxxx-goat-xxxxx

rielly-xxxxx
gardiner-phaneuf
xxxxx-xxxxxx

xxxxx
xxxxx

I don't think Kadri makes sense as a 3C, he makes more sense to utilize to get defensive help.

I think Nylander is safe to be a 2C, if he overachieves and is our 1C, great. I am starting to think that Marner ends up as a top line winger.

Good odds we end up with one of those wingers as our pick, but I would allow for the possibility of Matthews/Chychrun/McLeod as well, so penciling in anyone from the 2016 draft is a little too premature in my opinion.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012

'

our next sundin and glimour.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
fWIW, I don't think Nylander will be overacheiving if he becomes a first line center for us. I'd say that's got to be the projection at this moment. Whether he attains it or not, up for debate, but he's most definitely trending towards being a top line player

I agree on Marner likely being a winger

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
I think Marner will be someone you can switch between wing and C from time to time. He's adept at both positions

It's just that he has fantastic chemistry as a winger with Dvorak, who's a natural C. Wouldn't be surprised if London splits up that big line if they acquire Dal Colle (although improving their D is more of a pressing need)

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
Ran into Marner hanging around the Guelph Storm arena on Sunday. Was tempted to say hello but he was running around all over the place so I let him be. He was also wearing spandex lol.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Ran into Marner hanging around the Guelph Storm arena on Sunday. Was tempted to say hello but he was running around all over the place so I let him be. He was also wearing spandex lol.

Would you say he's 6'0 and weighs approximately 170lbs? :sarcasm:

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
Here's the question that I'm sure I'll get shot for.

First;y - YES, Marner has NHL talent.... and YES, Marner is too good for the OHL .... BUT ... come September, if Marner is still only around the 160- 165lb mark - does anyone think the Leaf Brass will be extra-cautious with him and send him back JUST so that he's not at risk and has another year to put on NHL weight?

Too good to go back or not - I'm not sure I can see Shanny or Lou taking any chances with a potential Franchise player getting hurt over one more year.

Just a thought.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
I think Marner will be someone you can switch between wing and C from time to time. He's adept at both positions

It's just that he has fantastic chemistry as a winger with Dvorak, who's a natural C. Wouldn't be surprised if London splits up that big line if they acquire Dal Colle (although improving their D is more of a pressing need)

trade for dvorak!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad