Prospect Info: Mitch Marner (continued)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

RoyalGremlin

The future is now.
Jun 19, 2007
At 5ft11 he needs to be 180 or so. If you remember when Kadri was younger and falling every time a big body leaned on him. That'll be Mitch. He may be able to evade but NHL players are not so easy to dangle. 160 at 5ft7 would give him better balance but let's face it, at 5ft11 that's paper thin.

Yeah obviously there's some filling out to do but between the ears Marner is a completely different tier. He's probably already better than Kadri, I'm not worried. We should just enjoy the show when it happens. :)

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Didn't realize camp started so early. I thought he would at least get the 3 games this weekend and miss 6 OHL games instead of 9. Not a big deal though.

same here! maybe I'm just getting older and not paying attention but camp seems a bit earlier this year than what it usually has been.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
PHP:

If Marner went 3rd the Leafs were preparing to trade down with Columbus.

Once Strome went 3rd the Leafs stopped conversations and picked Marner

yes, I believe that is correct. I'm not seeing how that relates to my post?

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Nylander-Marner would be similar to the Toews-Kane arrival in Chicago.

Doesn't seem to have hurt either one, and that team had a lot of younger players in the line-up.

My thought exactly. Good players like Marner and Nylander don't bust because they didn't get that one extra year to develop outside of the NHL. Marner really is toying with the OHL at this point , while Nylander is leading scoring as a 19 year old. Both will be able to develop fine under Babcock.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
yes, I believe that is correct. I'm not seeing how that relates to my post?

Because if the Leafs were willing to trade back if Marner was off the board and pass on Strome and Hanifin, but when Marner was on the board they didn't trade back.....

Marner quite clearly was 3rd on the Leafs list

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Because if the Leafs were willing to trade back if Marner was off the board and pass on Strome and Hanifin, but when Marner was on the board they didn't trade back.....

Sure but that's not what my post was responding to.
Why clearly 3rd? Perhaps he was 2nd.

Grandrift145

Jan 23, 2009
Uptop
At 5ft11 he needs to be 180 or so. If you remember when Kadri was younger and falling every time a big body leaned on him. That'll be Mitch. He may be able to evade but NHL players are not so easy to dangle. 160 at 5ft7 would give him better balance but let's face it, at 5ft11 that's paper thin.

Kadri still falls when a big body leans on him

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Still a reach.

It was obvious the Leafs had Marner ranked third, but it was also pretty clear that McDavid and Eichel were one and two. I don't think Hanifin was ever on their radar -- they've been building defensive depth in the latter stages of the draft, and probably know that drafting a defenseman high, especially in the building block range, is rife with risk.

There may have been *some* scouts who ranked Marner second, but I don't know of a single source indicating that.

Why was it obvious they had him ranked 3rd? It doesn't matter where Scouts had them ranked, only where Hunter had them ranked.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site

Based on his point totals and highlight pack they were clearly correct.

When you have a chance to draft a Kane clone you draft the Kane clone!

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Hunter has final say, but if you read up further in this thread, you'll see why so many people have acknowledged that the Leafs had Marner third. They were about to trade down if Arizona had taken him -- they took Strome instead obviously.

I've read the thread, I think you mean assume not acknowledged. They have no way of knowing how Hunter had them ranked.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
Hunter has final say, but if you read up further in this thread, you'll see why so many people have acknowledged that the Leafs had Marner third. They were about to trade down if Arizona had taken him -- they took Strome instead obviously.

There were rumors that the Leafs had Marner ahead of Eichel. These are not rumors that were posted in news papers, they were rumors among certain people in management. I will leave it at that.....

That is what ACC is talking about.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Why was it obvious they had him ranked 3rd? It doesn't matter where Scouts had them ranked, only where Hunter had them ranked.

I'd love to see a link or quote from Hunter that he believes Marner is better than Eichel and if the Leafs had the 2nd overall pick they would have drafted Marner in that spot as BPA.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
I'd love to see a link or quote from Hunter that he believes Marner is better than Eichel and if the Leafs had the 2nd overall pick they would have drafted Marner in that spot as BPA.

You wont find any such things..... but it was a real rumor that was floating around the ACC.... Doesn't mean it is a fact.

On the other hand, nobody can come up with the same you requested saying they would pick Eichel over Marner either. Our management doesn't talk to the media much. So really, either argument is pretty pointless at this time ;)

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton

Not everything is always out in the public mess. There was a lot of murmur in that spot.

champs*

You wont find any such things..... but it was a real rumor that was floating around the ACC.... Doesn't mean it is a fact.

On the other hand, nobody can come up with the same you requested saying they would pick Eichel over Marner either. Our management doesn't talk to the media much. So really, either argument is pretty pointless at this time ;)

I think it was rumour that was floated/ started from this board :laugh:

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
IIRC, the only thing we actually know about how the Leafs wanted to pick was what we learned from the call they made to Columbus before the draft kicked off. The Leafs assumed Columbus wanted Hanifin, and offered to trade back 4 to 8(along with all their second rounders), assuming he was still on the board at 4. Columbus said no, because they wanted Weresnki(and got him at 8).

I don't remember anything else that really told us anything about how the Leafs list went. I think all we know is that they were willing to not draft any of the top 5.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008

This was the sole reason why he didn't have an exceptional camp and the ONLY reason why he was going to go back to jr's even if he did have a great camp like they did with Kadri.

He's not physically strong enough yet to play in the pro's and it would have been the definition of rushing... correction the ONLY way of rushing prospects if they kept him with the Leafs or with Marlies as a matter of fact.

He has to get stronger and when he does with that talent. I could see why a Hunter would view him higher than Eichell. When you look at the draft your projection has to be 5+ years from what your looking at where a young player currently stands. Eichell and heck I'll even say Strome are higher end right now for the NHL game simply because they're further a long physically and have projectable frames. Marner it's a question mark about his physical stature and if he'll get to the point that will allow his talents come to the fronts in the NHL and if it does boy do we have a special player in this kid.

mallory67

Jul 2, 2015
North Carolina
Still a reach.

It was obvious the Leafs had Marner ranked third, but it was also pretty clear that McDavid and Eichel were one and two. I don't think Hanifin was ever on their radar -- they've been building defensive depth in the latter stages of the draft, and probably know that drafting a defenseman high, especially in the building block range, is rife with risk.

There may have been *some* scouts who ranked Marner second, but I don't know of a single source indicating that.

You sir, are absolutely on the ball.

My best guess is they thought Zacha/Strome were equal ... so they were willing to let Strome go for additional picks. They also had no interest in Hanifin ... or at least didn't think he was better than Provorov/Werenski.

The whole theory that they were willing to give up Marner is ridiculous ...
And yes McDavid/Eichel were #1/#2 ... even for the Leafs.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002

Me too. Is there one where he ranks Eichel ahead of Marner?

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
You sir, are absolutely on the ball.

My best guess is they thought Zacha/Strome were equal ... so they were willing to let Strome go for additional picks. They also had no interest in Hanifin ... or at least didn't think he was better than Provorov/Werenski.

The whole theory that they were willing to give up Marner is ridiculous ...
And yes McDavid/Eichel were #1/#2 ... even for the Leafs.

It's widely known that their targets were Marner and Provorov. If they didn't get Marner they planned to trade back to pick up Provorov.

mallory67

Jul 2, 2015
North Carolina
Me too. Is there one where he ranks Eichel ahead of Marner?

Unless a tidbit it shows up in a documentary ... I don't think you will ever see any of Hunter's ranking sheet. Why would he show it? Could be a lot of hurt feelings ... for no gain.

But it can't be any clearer that they preferred Marner over Strome.
Take it to the bank.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Unless a tidbit it shows up in a documentary ... I don't think you will ever see any of Hunter's ranking sheet. Why would he show it? Could be a lot of hurt feelings ... for no gain.

But it can't be any clearer that they preferred Marner over Strome.
Take it to the bank.

Yeah that one is pretty clear in terms of Marner>Strome. Hunter said something along the lines of them calling Erie during the playoffs to see if Strome was injured and was told no. I didn't like Strome at all in the playoffs. Complete no show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad