Prospect Info: Mitch Marner (continued)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
This is where i was coming from.

I mean, penciling in guys is one thing.

1st overall?? Come on guys this team just isn't that bad.

You realize that a third of the way through the season we're 1 point out of last place in the NHL, right?

Yes, we are that bad.

Beyond that, the 30th place team has a better chance of picking after 1 than they do at 1. The lottery is a crapshoot, so I don't see any reason we should hope for any less than 1st overall as long as we're top 3-5. It's entirely plausible.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
It scares me to think the Leafs actually had discussions to move down in the draft. I would be beyond mad if the Leafs missed out on him because they wanted to add a pick or two. It is such a Leaf like mgmt move if the past. Thank goodness it didn't happen for once and perhaps we can cheer for a stud player instead of moaning over yet another one that got away.

I know many on here think that may be Konecny. That doesn't bother me.

They would discuss many scenarios, it doesn't mean it was seriously considered.

It seems more and more believable that they felt he could be the 2nd best player in the draft.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Just got tickets to see the Knights in Barrie on Thursday. So excited !!!!!!:yo:

Unfortunately, you should have purchased tickets to the Mastercard Centre in TO instead if you were hoping to see Marner in action. :(

Hockey Canada and Canadian Interuniversity Sport announced Wednesday a two-game exhibition series that will see a selection of CIS all-stars face off against Canada’s National Junior Team prospects as they prepare for the 2016 IIHF World Junior Championship in Finland from Dec. 26 to Jan. 5.

The games will be played at the MasterCard Centre in Toronto on Saturday, Dec. 12 at 7:30 p.m. ET and Sunday, Dec. 13 at noon ET.

For its part, Hockey Canada will announce the roster of players invited to Canada’s National Junior Team selection camp on Dec. 1. The camp will take place at the MasterCard Centre from Dec. 10-13 and the final roster will be announced on Dec. 20, following pre-competition games in Finland against Belarus and the Czech Republic.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
So i've been watching some highlights from Marner's year in the OHL. Looks like a guy who is so vastly superior to the the rest of the competition that it's hurting his progress. He's basically toying with the opposition every night. The Leafs need to find a different place for this guy to play. I still think he's too thin for the NHL next year, but that appears to be the only option. It's too bad the AHL/CHL doesn't grant an exemption for exceptional players. He has nothing else to prove in the CHL.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
So i've been watching some highlights from Marner's year in the OHL. Looks like a guy who is so vastly superior to the the rest of the competition that it's hurting his progress. He's basically toying with the opposition every night. The Leafs need to find a different place for this guy to play. I still think he's too thin for the NHL next year, but that appears to be the only option. It's too bad the AHL/CHL doesn't grant an exemption for exceptional players. He has nothing else to prove in the CHL.

I don't think it's unreasonable to think that Marner comes in at 175-177lbs next season if he works his butt off in the summer. He'd be bigger then Kane in his rookie season.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I don't think it's unreasonable to think that Marner comes in at 175-177lbs next season if he works his butt off in the summer. He'd be bigger then Kane in his rookie season.

Nylander-Marner would be similar to the Toews-Kane arrival in Chicago.

Doesn't seem to have hurt either one, and that team had a lot of younger players in the line-up.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
It scares me to think the Leafs actually had discussions to move down in the draft. I would be beyond mad if the Leafs missed out on him because they wanted to add a pick or two. It is such a Leaf like mgmt move if the past. Thank goodness it didn't happen for once and perhaps we can cheer for a stud player instead of moaning over yet another one that got away.

I know many on here think that may be Konecny. That doesn't bother me.

If they discussed moving down, it may only have been a few spots.
There were a number of lists I saw Marner ranked around 7 or 8. I really believe, outside the top 2 Marner was the guy Hunter and company wanted.
Nothing scary about having discussions to see what price was to move down, bottom line is they got him.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
There were a number of lists I saw Marner ranked around 7 or 8. I really believe, outside the top 2 Marner was the guy Hunter and company wanted.
Nothing scary about having discussions to see what price was to move down, bottom line is they got him.

NJ was picking 6th and there was no way Marner was going to get passed them so if they were going to move down it was only max 1 or 2 spots

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

It's the dilemma that Leaf management faces and one I suppose they were willing to accept.

Marner is too good for the OHL on skill, but too small for the NHL on size.

Bob McKenzie reporting that Marner is 160lbs in his article he wrote last week to Team Canada.

Position battles in full swing for Canadian World Junior squad

Beyond Point, there is a trio of 18-year-olds, all chosen in last June’s draft, who could provide high-end skill. They include Arizona prospect Dylan Strome (third overall) of the Erie Otters, Toronto prospect Mitch Marner (fourth overall) of the London Knights and New York Islander prospect Mathew Barzal (16th overall) of the Seattle Thunderbirds.

Marner has played a lot of right wing in junior and, historically, that is where Hockey Canada has played him, often times alongside Strome in the middle. So Marner is more likely a right winger, but there’s some flexibility there, depending on what happens with Fabbri and McCann.

Team Canada could really use Virtanen. It’s not a big or overly physical group on the right side. One would have to think Marner is likely to be on the team and could be a key right winger if he doesn’t play centre. He’s 5-foot-11, 160 pounds.

http://www.tsn.ca/position-battles-in-full-swing-for-canadian-world-junior-squad-1.391992

If Marner is still in the 160's at next seasons Leaf camp then I agree management will be hesitant/reluctant to play him in the NHL beyond his 9 game trial.

Marner was interviewed recently during the camp announcements and stated that he believes that Leaf management will do what is best for him and he trusts them and although he would like to play in the NHL next year, he will return to London if that is their decision.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site

That would be ideal. I do think that's quite a lot of weight to put on in a single off season if he wants to maintain his speed, but he'll have access to the best trainers in the world. It's an attainable goal for sure.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
It's the dilemma that Leaf management faces and one I suppose they were willing to accept.

Marner is too good for the OHL on skill, but too small for the NHL on size.

Bob McKenzie reporting that Marner is 160lbs in his article he wrote last week to Team Canada.

If Marner is still in the 160's at next seasons Leaf camp then I agree management will be hesitant/reluctant to play him in the NHL beyond his 9 game trial.

Marner was interviewed recently during the camp announcements and stated that he believes that Leaf management will do what is best for him and he trusts them and although he would like to play in the NHL next year, he will return to London if that is their decision.

I have a really really hard time seeing him in London again next year no matter his size. The kid is flat out embarrassing defenders and goalies out there. He's on pace for like 170 points if it weren't for the WJHC. He's too good for the OHL. He'll probably get a heavy work out plan for the summer to bulk up. I say gaining 10 pounds would be pretty good right now. Being at training camp around 170-172 is a good start.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

Can he go to the SEL for a year?

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
I have a really really hard time seeing him in London again next year no matter his size. The kid is flat out embarrassing defenders and goalies out there. He's on pace for like 170 points if it weren't for the WJHC. He's too good for the OHL. He'll probably get a heavy work out plan for the summer to bulk up. I say gaining 10 pounds would be pretty good right now. Being at training camp around 170-172 is a good start.

I can help him gain pounds, I'm an expert

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
That would be ideal. I do think that's quite a lot of weight to put on in a single off season if he wants to maintain his speed, but he'll have access to the best trainers in the world. It's an attainable goal for sure.

He was weighed in at our training camp officially at like 169ish lbs as per twitter (I believe Paul Hendrick) - he's likely lost a bit of weight as most players do during the season. He was about 170lbs though, if he gets access to some good trainers etc though along with physical maturation, 175-180lbs is within reason.

At the CAN-RUS subway series along with the game he had on Friday night that I saw, he looks a bit stronger/studier. He also looks like he's a touch faster.

Can he go to the SEL for a year?

No point, he needs the NHL competition now. SEL won't provide that.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Didn't realize camp started so early. I thought he would at least get the 3 games this weekend and miss 6 OHL games instead of 9. Not a big deal though.

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
Anyone who uses a year old report to reinforce the belief of a teenager's stature is automatically discrediting themselves. Marner reported 170+lbs in training camp. He continues to bulk up.

It is unlikely that he is currently 160lbs as of today. That was a weight reported over a year ago.

Its strange that the leafs reported him at 170, and the London knights have him at 160.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Would it be the first time that a CHL site got lazy and didn't bother updating info on players they already have?

Bob McKenzie might be using the numbers provided by the NHL officially. (NHL.com site)

At the entry draft combine in June NHL Central scouting officially weighed everyone and Marner came in at 159.9 lbs.

Marner weighed in at 159.85 Ibs, and measured at 5'11", tying him with Anthony Cirelli and Adam Marsh as the lightest player at the draft combine of the 115 players invited.

At the final draft rankings for the entry draft late June they rounded it up to 160lbs. (http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=761663)

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Wondering if the junior camp would have physicals/weigh-in?

It will definitely be less publicized - probably just check on the players and make sure there are no serious injuries or the player is hiding any injuries to make the team.

Bob McKenzie might be using the numbers provided by the NHL officially. (NHL.com site)

At the entry draft combine in June NHL Central scouting officially weighed everyone and Marner came in at 159.9 lbs.

At the final draft rankings for the entry draft late June they rounded it up to 160lbs. (http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=761663)

Exactly. Not unreasonable to think he got up to 169.5lbs as per Henny during the summer.

Last edited:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Hard to trust any weight more than a few month old. I can go up and down 5-10 every couple weeks.

At his age with some real solid professionals working with him to help him add the right weight to his frame...agreed.

I'm sure he's working his butt off to get in the best shape possible. I am sure he'll drop weight in the regular season anyway just by the nature of playing hockey and the minutes that he does.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Don't be so sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad