Prospect Info: Mitch Marner (continued)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I'm perfectly happy letting his next camp determine where he goes. I've always maintained that if any kid shows you something special in camp, you don't bury them in the OHL because it's the prescriptive thing to do. Nor do you promote him to the NHL because the OHL seems like a bad place to go two years after the draft because you can't send him to the AHL. William Nylander looks heads and shoulders more pro ready this year, yet he's nowhere near the Leaf roster.

He will be competing with other prospects at camp as well.

I would not be surprised if Timoshov is more ready than Marner, just due to Marner's physical limitation at this point.

Not saying better, just physically more ready.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
He will be competing with other prospects at camp as well.

I would not be surprised if Timoshov is more ready than Marner, just due to Marner's physical limitation at this point.

Not saying better, just physically more ready.

This tournament actually makes people go insane. In 3 games, Timashov (who is 5 '9) has become a more NHL ready prospect due to physical limitations? You cannot be serious. All you are doing is changing your opinion based on the most prominent exposure you have to these players, where one of them is dominating.

Marner is still the better prospect, and there is nothing keeping him from getting his weight to a respectable lever before camp.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
This tournament actually makes people go insane. In 3 games, Timashov (who is 5 '9) has become a more NHL ready prospect due to physical limitations? You cannot be serious. All you are doing is changing your opinion based on the most prominent exposure you have to these players, where one of them is dominating.

Yep. Thank God the scouts don't put half as much stock into it as posters on this site.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

No actually, preseason games exposed how good Timashov was.

He was better than Marner in preseason, and he's 5'10", 192 lbs.

He's also one of the best producers in the Q.

I'm changing nothing, but it seems some are just uninformed.

There is no guarantee Marner is able to get stronger, or add size, whereas Timashov doesn't have to hope that happens.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
I'm perfectly happy letting his next camp determine where he goes. I've always maintained that if any kid shows you something special in camp, you don't bury them in the OHL because it's the prescriptive thing to do. Nor do you promote him to the NHL because the OHL seems like a bad place to go two years after the draft because you can't send him to the AHL. William Nylander looks heads and shoulders more pro ready this year, yet he's nowhere near the Leaf roster.

This is the tank in action, everyone knows Nylander is NHL ready. Management does not want prospects making the jump this season.

Anyways, it does get to a point where you just don't send a prospect back to the OHL. Marner skates circles around the OHL competition and gets a ton of points, but in the process is developing playing a playing style that probably will not work against NHL competition. Why would they send him back? Whats the point?

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Next season could be another tank season.

Yeah it could be, but they wont be able to suppress prospects like Nylander another year. I think it depends on who they get in the draft and what contracts they clear out though, but I would be pretty surprised if they didn't head away from tanking after this year.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

There is no guarantee Marner is able to get stronger, or add size, whereas Timashov doesn't have to hope that happens.

Exactly

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
You just reading the box scores? Or do you actually watch the games? He dominates puck possession, creates consistently and is always in a dangerous position. On top of that he's always one of the first guys back. Just because he's not leading the tournament in points doesn't mean he's not a game breaker. He hit the post yesterday and has constantly feed the puck to guys who don't finish either. You'll be eating your words
Thats not dominating. What Nylander did as an 18 year old last year was impressive. What Marner's doing now isnt. If Marner is seen as a better prospect he needs to act like it because Nylander was in a similar situation last year with a young team and he had a much better showing.

Its not completely his fault, Point has played like trash and Quenville and Chartier dont know how to sustain pressure but the onus is on Marner to make the players he plays with better. Thats what great players do.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Dave Lowry ain't doin himself any favours so far.

I know exactly what you mean. He practiced them hard today and the word "intensity" came up about tbe practice.

The lines were changed also. This team needs to be be taking way shorter shifts. Vertanen is still on the first line for some reason too. He should be sending out some kind of effective checking line(4th line).

Gauthier and Crouse should be given a checking role to go out and bang players around. Marner centering them two would be the right thing to do instead of sticking him on the wing with two other skill players that want to carry the puck all the time also.

Putting Marner 3rd or 4th line center is what a real team concept is. That would be some difficult times for other countries to match.

This coach is not to my liking. At all.

CerebralDevil

Jul 14, 2011
Thats not dominating. What Nylander did as an 18 year old last year was impressive. What Marner's doing now isnt. If Marner is seen as a better prospect he needs to act like it because Nylander was in a similar situation last year with a young team and he had a much better showing.

Its not completely his fault, Point has played like trash and Quenville and Chartier dont know how to sustain pressure but the onus is on Marner to make the players he plays with better. Thats what great players do.

Didn't McDavid struggle last year at the WJ for the first few games. I remember him not being the focal point or point producer in the first 3-4 games then he came alive. I don't get the talk of Marner not being a stud when watching the Canadian jrs and no one is standing out besides Strome. Marner looks very good out there and very creative but his team mates have failed him. I think he has been strong down below behind the net and in the corners so this talk of him being weak fighting the puck is b.s.
The kid is legit and will only get better he's a damn teenager.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Didn't McDavid struggle last year at the WJ for the first few games. I remember him not being the focal point or point producer in the first 3-4 games then he came alive. I don't get the talk of Marner not being a stud when watching the Canadian jrs and no one is standing out besides Strome. Marner looks very good out there and very creative but his team mates have failed him. I think he has been strong down below behind the net and in the corners so this talk of him being weak fighting the puck is b.s.
The kid is legit and will only get better he's a damn teenager.

Everyone in the tournament is basically the same age. How is that an excuse?

CerebralDevil

Jul 14, 2011
I know exactly what you mean. He practiced them hard today and the word "intensity" came up about tbe practice.

The lines were changed also. This team needs to be be taking way shorter shifts. Vertanen is still on the first line for some reason too. He should be sending out some kind of effective checking line(4th line).

Gauthier and Crouse should be given a checking role to go out and bang players around. Marner centering them two would be the right thing to do instead of sticking him on the wing with two other skill players that want to carry the puck all the time also.

Putting Marner 3rd or 4th line center is what a real team concept is. That would be some difficult times for other countries to match.
This coach is not to my liking. At all.

I totally agree!! I don't think he understands how to utilize the talent properly and how to match lines.

mallory67

Jul 2, 2015
North Carolina

Absolutely! No 18 year old kid who weighed 165lb at the draft has ever filled out as a man.
That's why we all weigh what we did when we were 18 ...

And there is no guarantee that a professionally designed weights/training program will add strength.

:sarcasm:

Bridgeman

Mar 1, 2013
Tampa FL

Hanifin must thanking his lucky stars Toronto took Marner..... The kid is quietly going about his business and looking damn good at it.....without dealing with these distractions!

Mad Brills*

3 ******* games. Remember how pogge was better than rask due to juniors?

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Marner should be centering the third our 4th line to take advantage of the team Canada depth. Thats all i have to say on Getting the most out of this team.

I am pretty concerned that this coach will put us out of the medals more than which prospect for which team is better or what supposed line they play on.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

This is team canada bud. Its not prospects evaluating time. I could care less who plays better. Winning the tournament is the goal.

I want Marner playing 3rd or 4th line center with Gauthier and Crouse. I could care less about excuses. The onlt excuses i don't want to hear is how we failed to medal.

If this team continues with rhe present lines and poor work ethic, its over already and we won't medal.

Marner is secondary.

dunga

Nov 14, 2013
Marner does not look like Kane. He's not fast or dynamic enough. He reminds me of Kyle wellwood. The leafs should have traded down.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Marner should be centering the third our 4th line to take advantage of the team Canada depth. Thats all i have to say on Getting the most out of this team.

I am pretty concerned that this coach will put us out of the medals more than which prospect for which team is better or what supposed line they play on.

Marner has to earn that right. Sure we can blame the coach. But part of the blame should go to Marner. His play has to force the coach to put him out there. If he was dominating and producing than the coach would have no choice but to put him out there.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

There is no guarantee Marner is able to get stronger, or add size, whereas Timashov doesn't have to hope that happens

This is pretty silly to me.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
That's because Mitch is playing like he's in the OHL. Every move over exagerated. Every shift going for the highlight reel. He needs to mature his game. He's got all the skill in world, he has the fight and the defensive awarness. Less is more. You don't pull out all your moves every time on the ice. Somtimes just the simple play, sometimes a drive to the net, sometimes setting up zone time and play and then sometimes the fancy moves. He needs to learn.

Which is precisely why the Leafs want their prospects to play in tournaments like these, to teach them some life lessons. the way you described Mitch's approach to this tournament reminds me of the old joke about the Old Bull and the Young bull on the top of the hill looking at all the cows in the pasture. Sometimes you just gotta walk and not run down that hill :)

From all accounts he is a smart kid and I'm sure eventually he will get the concept of less is more, this is where Lowry and staff need to come in and talk to him about picking his spots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad