Prospect Info: Mitch Marner (continued)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
The nation's plan as outline here is to graduate Marner, Nylander and other prospects, acquire Stamkos and then win the Cup in 2016/17 (or worst case 2017/18). Its Leafy and real. GSG & GLG.

The plan is so simple, I'm laughing at the other 29 teams (not Chicago actually) that haven't thought of this. It's perfect.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
This thread:

9FlAbDWF95S3C.gif

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
So far in the WJC Mitch is not looking like the future 1st liner that everyone thinks he will be. He gets a -C grade so far.

I agree. I thought he'd turn up the offense when Canada desperately needed it, but he didn't. Right now I've seen no evidence proving him to be a big game player. The leafs need one desperately.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Marner is OHL dominant, but the real determination is if he can do those things in the NHL next season. The kid has been lights out in the OHL environment for a year and a half now, but he wasn't fantastic in camp (the way Nylander and Rielly were) and we'll have to see about the WJC's. If he's ready he makes it. If he isn't, I don't mind the OHL again, if only to buy time for him to mature.

The nation's plan as outline here is to graduate Marner, Nylander and other prospects, acquire Stamkos and then win the Cup in 2016/17 (or worst case 2017/18). Its Leafy and real. GSG & GLG.

The plan is so simple, I'm laughing at the other 29 teams (not Chicago actually) that haven't thought of this. It's perfect.

It is perfect and real. We are just better and smarter than those other 29 organizations.

GSG & GLG.

InShannyWeTrust

Bring on the trades!
Aug 6, 2009
I agree. I thought he'd turn up the offense when Canada desperately needed it, but he didn't. Right now I've seen no evidence proving him to be a big game player. The leafs need one desperately.

You just reading the box scores? Or do you actually watch the games? He dominates puck possession, creates consistently and is always in a dangerous position. On top of that he's always one of the first guys back. Just because he's not leading the tournament in points doesn't mean he's not a game breaker. He hit the post yesterday and has constantly feed the puck to guys who don't finish either. You'll be eating your words

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
I never watched Marner before. He looks like Petan to me with a little more skill perhaps and more patient. But still small and slow and his game relies on someone not being in the right spot. Petan hasn't looked good so far in the AHL where you need to create your own space. I hope Hunter knows what he is doing.

Marner is a special case but he might be years away.. like two full seasons.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Pretty meh so far. Strome has looked like 10x the prospect Marner is in the early stages of the tourney.

I wonder how he'll transition when has to play against Pro's, whether that will be in the NHL or AHL. Hasn't looked impressive at all outside of when he plays for the London Knights. Will he go the way of Sam Gagner? Ultra talented junior player who can't adjust when the checking gets tighter and space is limited.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Pretty meh so far. Strome has looked like 10x the prospect Marner is in the early stages of the tourney.

I wonder how he'll transition when has to play against Pro's, whether that will be in the NHL or AHL. Hasn't looked impressive at all outside of when he plays for the London Knights. Will he go the way of Sam Gagner? Ultra talented junior player who can't adjust when the checking gets tighter and space is limited.

Be glad we got Tima as a gift just incase. Nothing is for sure with Marner and he does look slow.

White Water Kayker

Nov 28, 2014
It's like this every year. Fans get over zealous with performances at this tournament. It's insane how people get defensive or over hype.

It was ONE game and people all ready are going nuts from one spectrum to the other. I cannot believe what I'm reading here. I can't imagine some of these posters being adults or even having children.

Anyway, Marner was fairly average and quiet, as was the rest of Team Canada to be honest. Even with his average performance I thought he was one of the forwards that created the most (along with his line). The game overall was decided by Special Teams.

This ^^^

beer123

Nov 15, 2009

But Strome was already picked by the Coyotes with the 3rd pick.

How does Marner compare to Hanifin? I believe this comparison is better because either one could have been picked up by the Leafs with the 4th overall pick.

MMMFAN

Nov 5, 2015
Marner looks slow because he's not explosive he way McDavid is. Hopefully he will add twenty pounds and lots of muscle soon. Marner is though very shifty and very tenacious when he wants to be. He out battled two larger players behind the net yesterday on his best shift. Marner for sure will be back in London next year. Just not physically ready yet and yes needs to simplify his game and play centre.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

How does Marner compare to Hanifin? I believe this comparison is better because either one could have been picked up by the Leafs with the 4th overall pick.

I like Hanifin for our selection but would have traded back. Prov or Barzal, liked them both.

Hope he gets that strength up and finds another gear. Marner needs if, sheesh

MMMFAN

Nov 5, 2015
Be certain the Leafs and the Hunters will do everything possible to help Marner succeed and become an NHL player. Marner is dedicated and smart and will have all the support necessary.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Hard to compare a defender playing in the NHL with a forward playing in the OHL.

Marner just has to physically mature and get stronger. You can see he is over matched in a crowd and against mature men he'd have little chance to compete.

He's only 18, give him a couple years to physically grow and get stronger, then we can have a better idea how he'll fair against superior competition.

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013

It's like Jamie Macoun vs a shot at Dougie Gilmour. You gotta take a shot at Gilmour but a 1000 game defenseman is nothing to sneeze at.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
So far in the WJC Mitch is not looking like the future 1st liner that everyone thinks he will be. He gets a -C grade so far.

You just read the stats then is it. He has been the second/3rd best forward after Barzal and strome. Works hard and is not clicking just yet. I don't know what your problem is. The teams work ethic and puck support is the problem.

Don't try blaming Marner for whats wrong with this team. Like i said, atleast he has the work ethic that alot on the team don't.

Last edited:

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
That's because Mitch is playing like he's in the OHL. Every move over exagerated. Every shift going for the highlight reel. He needs to mature his game. He's got all the skill in world, he has the fight and the defensive awarness. Less is more. You don't pull out all your moves every time on the ice. Somtimes just the simple play, sometimes a drive to the net, sometimes setting up zone time and play and then sometimes the fancy moves. He needs to learn.

Thats Bs too. It sounds like a bunch of crying in here because he hasn't doninated like everyone expected. Give it a break. Don't do what Barzal is doing? Is that what your saying!

Get off his case with this nonsense. He isn't getting it done. Thats enough to day.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
You just read the stats then is it. He has been the second best forward after strome. Works hard and is not clicking just yet. I don't know what your problem is. The teams work ethic and puck support is the problem.

Don't try blaming Marner for whats wrong with this team. Like i said, atleast he has the work ethic that alot on the team don't.

It's the kind of game he is playing. It's all dipsy doodle. He can't get away with that in the NHL with that speed. He obviously has skills but without the ability to stay up while being leaned on the NHL is a no go.

Ronald Ocean

Disregard username
Sep 12, 2008
Lmao god I hate leaf fans... and I am one. Relax people, it wasnt that long ago everyone was on his nuts for dominating the ohl and scoring hattys.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Thats Bs too. It sounds like a bunch of crying in here because he hasn't doninated like everyone expected. Give it a break. Don't do what Barzal is doing? Is that what your saying!

Get off his case with this nonsense. He isn't getting it done. Thats enough to day.

I think he's trying to do to much. Too bad if you don't agree. I'm the biggest Marner supporter going. Love the kid's game and think he's a big part of our future. Barzal for the good play he's done is also guilty. As many giveaways for good plays. Trying to do to much instead of letting it come natural. Does this make Barzal a bad player? Of course not. You need to get over what you perceive to be bashing. I think the team lacks structure right now (I don't like the coaching) and this is a big part of it.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
Unbelievable!!

The guy was leading his league in points, goes on an incredible run before this tournament averaging almost 3 pts a game I believe. Comes into his first tournament and has 3 pts in 3 games, has a game where he was fairly visible in the last two periods INCLUDING some defensive plays which aided getting the team to a shootout so they can win.

But people aren't happy!!

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
It's the kind of game he is playing. It's all dipsy doodle. He can't get away with that in the NHL with that speed. He obviously has skills but without the ability to stay up while being leaned on the NHL is a no go.

Thats the way he plays!! I think he has had as many quality scoring chances as anyone.( not sure thats the case). He has had alot of scoring chances though.

All the hype before this got seriously going was making me sick. I knew full well the machine was chugging and all the exposure Marner was getting was driving the expectations to high.

So here we are at that point. Before you complain about his puck control that you don't like seeing i ask the next time you watch the other players puck support around him. Its terrible!

They are not getting into the open ice for him and are just left watching. Its true.

Stopping all the puck handling for the reason that his linemates stand around watching it is probably the reason you are right that he needs to tone it down.

I don't believe in skill kill though. Put him with strome and Barzal as a line and they would understand the skill player and going to the right ice.

The team has been terrible and will not medal if they continue playing from the second period on too.

Anyway this is getting long and i imagine the coach has seen enough bad habits from alot of players for three tournaments.

They all have to be better prepared or this is going to be a failure team sitting out of the medals.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Unbelievable!!

The guy was leading his league in points, goes on an incredible run before this tournament averaging almost 3 pts a game I believe. Comes into his first tournament and has 3 pts in 3 games, has a game where he was fairly visible in the last two periods INCLUDING some defensive plays which aided getting the team to a shootout so they can win.

But people aren't happy!!

He scored against Denmark, am I supposed to be impressed?

When the competition was tough, he was out matched and became a giveaway machine. Weak and slow. Terrible combo

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Marner probably won't "do those things" in the NHL next season. If he plays all 82 games, I see him putting up 20-30 points. That's likely better for his development than going back to the OHL.

If you expect him to do the things he does in the OHL in the NHL, you may never be happy with him.

I'm perfectly happy letting his next camp determine where he goes. I've always maintained that if any kid shows you something special in camp, you don't bury them in the OHL because it's the prescriptive thing to do. Nor do you promote him to the NHL because the OHL seems like a bad place to go two years after the draft because you can't send him to the AHL. William Nylander looks heads and shoulders more pro ready this year, yet he's nowhere near the Leaf roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad