Prospect Info: Mitch Marner (continued)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
O'Neil was never the same after his brother died imho. He is just forever bitter, same as Wilson, my fear for Nylander and Marner is for them to be affected by this type of venom.

Hey, no promises for either kid, but they are both exciting, both full of potential and I can only hope the media don't try to ruin either of them. That is a lot of hope in this town.

Except for McDavid I have not seen a perfect prospect in the last 20 years. Thank god we have Babcock and Lou here. Not Burke and Nonis. And Wilson.

If they both top out at 60 points we hit a Joey Bats bases loaded homer.

I think some people just come across like Marner is the next Kane and its a lock. Others are saying he has a ways to go. Can you honestly see Marner in the NHL now or in 9mths? I can't even if he gains 10lbs. His legs alone need 10lbs of muscle and I doubt he can build that kind of muscle in the time between.

Rayban*

Apr 21, 2013
Ottawa
Kessel has legs like a bull. Marner has legs like a bird of prey. Kane has legs somewhere in between. All three very different. Marner and Kane seem to want to be the best of the best.

Kessel sure did seem to want to be the top scorer in the NHL for a while and he delighted us with that , but things have changed a bit for Phil. Hey, huge money changes almost everyone.

Bulls have tiny legs...

GoodNewfieBoy

We got a guy
Oct 17, 2007
Calgary
He looks like he could use another year somewhere. Depends how much he grows over the summer. Even Europe is an option. He has the potential, that's why we drafted him, because he is still growing skill wise and size wise. He's not a finished product like Lawson Crouse more than likely is, for example.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I think some people just come across like Marner is the next Kane and its a lock. Others are saying he has a ways to go. Can you honestly see Marner in the NHL now or in 9mths? I can't even if he gains 10lbs. His legs alone need 10lbs of muscle and I doubt he can build that kind of muscle in the time between.

But just bc someone is not ready for the NHL now or in 9 months, it doesn't mean he is not talented or he will never be ready. Paul Kariya was not the biggest guy and it took him a season before being amazing.
Johnny hockey broke into the League at age 21 not 18/19.

Some players just take longer.

As for ODawg. Man, he said a lot of stuff about Marner just to bug Hayes.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
No need to get so defensive.

Marner hasn't looked like a superstar in pretty much every public viewing of non-OHL followers. Namely, pre-season and WJC.

It's natural that people would be less that ecstatic about the pick. Hopefully he pans out.

The risk with Marner is he's just so raw and under developed physically, does he ever get to pro size and specs to be able to play his game effectively. High, high end ceiling, but there's a ton of work that needs to go into his physical development and refinement of his game before he can be an impact NHL forward. A guy like Patrick Kane is a really special and unique combination of skill, shiftiness, offensive awareness and physical makeup. There are plenty of uber skilled little/thin guys who aren't nearly as effective (i.e. RNH, Turris, Kadri).

Dangles McGavin

RIP Lounge
Jul 7, 2010
Seattle/Waterloo
The risk with Marner is he's just so raw and under developed physically, does he ever get to pro size and specs to be able to play his game effectively. High, high end ceiling, but there's a ton of work that needs to go into his physical development and refinement of his game before he can be an impact NHL forward. A guy like Patrick Kane is a really special and unique combination of skill, shiftiness, offensive awareness and physical makeup. There are plenty of uber skilled little/thin guys who aren't nearly as effective (i.e. RNH, Turris, Kadri).

I agree. My fear for Marner is that he simply styles on lower competition and won't be able to elevate his play to take into account the increased physicality, strength, and speed of the pro game. It's like this with a lot of small players but yes, Marner is particularly small. "Weight" and "height" do not tell the full story and anybody who plays sports knows this- some people are just stronger and have elite balance.

We'll see with Mitch. Hopefully he has a couple big games here so we can all be a little more excited. I wish him and Canada the best of luck the rest of the way.

champs*

great game by mariner today, got a lil tired and frustrated it seemed towards the end, threat every shift :)

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I agree. My fear for Marner is that he simply styles on lower competition and won't be able to elevate his play to take into account the increased physicality, strength, and speed of the pro game. It's like this with a lot of small players but yes, Marner is particularly small. "Weight" and "height" do not tell the full story and anybody who plays sports knows this- some people are just stronger and have elite balance.

We'll see with Mitch. Hopefully he has a couple big games here so we can all be a little more excited. I wish him and Canada the best of luck the rest of the way.

I'm a Marner fan, so I don't want to sound like I'm piling it on, but the kid basically needs a growth spurt in the worst way. If he grows another inch or two and rounds out at McDavid height and weight, you at least have a man's body to work with: stronger legs, more explosiveness and stronger core which will make him much more pro ready. As he's currently built, I can't think of too many bony little guys in the league. Kadri would be one, Ribeiro another. In any case, hopefully he grows a lot.

Rayban*

Apr 21, 2013
Ottawa
I'm a Marner fan, so I don't want to sound like I'm piling it on, but the kid basically needs a growth spurt in the worst way. If he grows another inch or two and rounds out at McDavid height and weight, you at least have a man's body to work with: stronger legs, more explosiveness and stronger core which will make him much more pro ready. As he's currently built, I can't think of too many bony little guys in the league. Kadri would be one, Ribeiro another. In any case, hopefully he grows a lot.

Kadri is much stronger than Marner .

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
The WJC is one of the most entertaining sports events of the year - but man, people put way too much emphasis on using this to analyze players.

In the big picture its meaninglessly small. Players who excel here may flop, those who are cold may be the best NHLers

Exactly.

Also, there are so many other factors at play like building chemistry in such a short period of time. It's just way too short of a sample size to judge a player's overall ability.

I just can't comprehend how anyone can think that 3 games carries more weight than his past two OHL seasons.....

Hey, every kid has back to back 2ppg seasons. That's not special at all, and aforementioned 3 game sample totally trumps that.

:sarcasm:

mikebel111*

great game by mariner today, got a lil tired and frustrated it seemed towards the end, threat every shift :)

no man he sucks give it up. he is a bust and will never be in the NHL next season because I have a crystal ball that tells me

Also 3 games is a larger sample size than 2 seasons, didn't you know 3 is a higher number than 150?:sarcasm:

champs*

Mitch is becoming a threat every shift now!! these guys have to learn how to play with his creativity! coach needs to get his **** together if we are going to get a medal. yeppp! d-men need to move the puck up to our skilled guys also

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
if you look up a list of the all-time greats the vast majority played 170-190

if anything, people should be happy he's not 200lb. There have been far fewer great players that size.

champs*

Gaudreau_John.0.JPG

Johnny Gaudreau
Left Wing -- shoots L
Born Aug 13 1993 -- Salem, NJ
[22 yrs. ago]
Height 5.09 -- Weight 157

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
if you look up a list of the all-time greats the vast majority played 170-190

if anything, people should be happy he's not 200lb. There have been far fewer great players that size.

That was also when most playing NHLers were 170-190...

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
not sure i would base an opinion on marner from the wjc. the entire team looks ****ed. strome and barzal occasionally show glimpses of dominating but as a whole i think the team has been meh.

marner clearly has the skill. its a size thing. i dont think shanny and co will put marner in a dangerous situation. if he isnt ready physically next season i think he will be back in the o. no reason to rush a kid only to get him concussed and end up like skinner

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
not sure i would base an opinion on marner from the wjc. the entire team looks ****ed. strome and barzal occasionally show glimpses of dominating but as a whole i think the team has been meh.

marner clearly has the skill. its a size thing. i dont think shanny and co will put marner in a dangerous situation. if he isnt ready physically next season i think he will be back in the o. no reason to rush a kid only to get him concussed and end up like skinner

I'm all for Marner making the club if he shows he's ready in camp, but as Max Domi has shown us, a second extra year in the OHL won't hurt Marner.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
I'm all for Marner making the club if he shows he's ready in camp, but as Max Domi has shown us, a second extra year in the OHL won't hurt Marner.

I wish we could stop the Domi references. They are different players, and Marner was more dominant at 17 than Domi was at 19.

Domi is quickly becoming fairly overrated. 6 points and -6 in 12 games this month. He's an okay second liner right now, but probably not the superstar people hyped him up as after his hot start that was predictably unsustainable.

Maybe if Domi had developed in the NHL last year and gotten used to the long grind his production wouldn't have dropped in November, and then again in December.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
He's looking at Marner's play through homer glasses

If Strome was a Leaf prospect, he'd be drooling at this point and ripping Marner to shreds

I see a lot of this, not just on the main boards, but on this one. Why do we have to bring down someone else, when we can just speak for our guy? If Marner has a tough game, so be it. I find that there's a lot of malicious berating of other teams' prospects. I'm just happy Strome is Canadian. Without him, this team is sunk, at the moment.

I want Marner to step up an be a reason that we win a medal, but he's not invincible. He makes poor plays, just like anyone else. We shouldn't get too hung up on one game, or one shift. He's contributing, and seems to get better as the games goes on. If he can come out of the gate like he was shot out of a cannon, he's one of the best prospects in the world, but I want to see that. He needs to come to play against Sweden. State your purpose, young man.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I wish we could stop the Domi references. They are different players, and Marner was more dominant at 17 than Domi was at 19.

Domi is quickly becoming fairly overrated. 6 points and -6 in 12 games this month. He's an okay second liner right now, but probably not the superstar people hyped him up as after his hot start that was predictably unsustainable.

Marner is OHL dominant, but the real determination is if he can do those things in the NHL next season. The kid has been lights out in the OHL environment for a year and a half now, but he wasn't fantastic in camp (the way Nylander and Rielly were) and we'll have to see about the WJC's. If he's ready he makes it. If he isn't, I don't mind the OHL again, if only to buy time for him to mature.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Marner is OHL dominant, but the real determination is if he can do those things in the NHL next season. The kid has been lights out in the OHL environment for a year and a half now, but he wasn't fantastic in camp (the way Nylander and Rielly were) and we'll have to see about the WJC's. If he's ready he makes it. If he isn't, I don't mind the OHL again, if only to buy time for him to mature.

Marner probably won't "do those things" in the NHL next season. If he plays all 82 games, I see him putting up 20-30 points. That's likely better for his development than going back to the OHL.

If you expect him to do the things he does in the OHL in the NHL, you may never be happy with him.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
He has real good hands.

Reminds me of Rob Schremp.

Similar numbers with the Knights too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad