Prospect Info: Mitch Marner (continued)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Evander Kane? Made it due to injury and was pt/game, quietly effective as far as my memory goes.

Patrick Kane? Looked great, especially at his age. He was making a lot of plays. In fact he kind of looks like Marner has looked only his linemates were connecting on a lot more passes then Marner's linemates.

Who's Evander Kane lol

mikebel111*

Maybe I'm overcompensating for the hate, who knows. I'll knock it down to a good game

That makes sense than, I think I may have been guilty of that too. If I remember correctly, Nylander was the same last year too. Good but could be better and we all know the steps Willie has taken since. Hopefully Marner is the same

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
That makes sense than, I think I may have been guilty of that too. If I remember correctly, Nylander was the same last year too. Good but could be better and we all know the steps Willie has taken since. Hopefully Marner is the same

I remember Willie being the talk of the tournament until the playoff rounds where Sweden just nose dived. The Bronze game was an awful showing for all of them.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

A lot of Nylander's passes last year resulted in goals. He did well as an 18 year old but was obviously physically underdeveloped so he had to pick his spots. He was also playing wing when he was used to playing centre.

Marner is making some really nice plays that if his linemates put in the net, he looks like a genius.

mikebel111*

A lot of Nylander's passes last year resulted in goals. He did well as an 18 year old but was obviously physically underdeveloped so he had to pick his spots. He was also playing wing when he was used to playing centre.

Marner is making some really nice plays that if his linemates put in the net, he looks like a genius.

Yeah I think some of Marner's game hasn't been that great because his linemates cant finish. Overall though, he has exceeded my expectations for him this tournament or close too.

crederer

Feb 12, 2007
marner ... too good for the ohl but not ready for the nhl and cant play in the ahl.... rule change is now needed. I see that MIKKO RANTANEN is playing in the ahl for San Antonio Rampage and has 18 points in 14 games.

Pretty sure that rule is set in place to keep fans going to minor league games.

mikebel111*

I remember Willie being the talk of the tournament until the playoff rounds where Sweden just nose dived. The Bronze game was an awful showing for all of them.

Willie and the entire Swedish team fell asleep in the important games, lets all hope Canada starts stepping up because today IMO was a step back.
I have to agree with Bob, the 19 year olds haven't been good and they are supposed to dominate. The best forwards have been the 18 year olds, Marner, Strome, Barzal

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Willie and the entire Swedish team fell asleep in the important games, lets all hope Canada starts stepping up because today IMO was a step back.
I have to agree with Bob, the 19 year olds haven't been good and they are supposed to dominate. The best forwards have been the 18 year olds, Marner, Strome, Barzal

The problem is our 18 year olds all have limitations.

Strome has foot speed problems.

Barzal and Marner are buzzing and creating all kinds of plays, but their linemates are not finishing and they are physically immature at this point.

Good eye opener for Marner who I hope is going to dial it up in the summer and work on his legs/core.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

I agree with this. The 19 year olds, particularly returnees have not been good enough. This is a tournament where the need to dictate the play and not be a passenger. Canada has a lot of inexperience as it is and expecting those younger guys to carry the entire load will be tough sledding.

I credit Marner, Strome, and Barzal for playing well so far. They've all had varying degrees of ups/downs but the margins between their play isn't that large. They have been good on an underwhelming Canadian team.

mikebel111*

Yeah I think its clear the 18 year olds arent going to win the gold for Canada, they are good but not quite amazing yet

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I agree with this. The 19 year olds, particularly returnees have not been good enough. This is a tournament where the need to dictate the play and not be a passenger. Canada has a lot of inexperience as it is and expecting those younger guys to carry the entire load will be tough sledding.

I credit Marner, Strome, and Barzal for playing well so far. They've all had varying degrees of ups/downs but the margins between their play isn't that large. They have been good on an underwhelming Canadian team.

Agreed.

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
Maybe I'm overcompensating for the hate, who knows. I'll knock it down to a good game

My advice would be try not to overcompensate for anyone. Some people will always find something to dislike and there are most definitely some that try to defend/praise everything as well.

I think most of us want to see our team, players and prospects succeed.

stavs*

Oct 11, 2010
Toronto
Marner did nothing today and very little overall in this tourney.

Very disappointed in his play.

He needs to get stronger and faster if he wants to play in the NHL.

I think Marner has been better than most forwards on Team Canada. Maybe not the best, but top 5 for sure. I agree he needs to get stronger, but don't forget the entire team has not looked great.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
My advice would be try not to overcompensate for anyone. Some people will always find something to dislike and there are most definitely some that try to defend/praise everything as well.

I think most of us want to see our team, player and prospects succeed.

hahaha it was just a poor choice of a word. It happens. I think Marner did well, people who watched the entirety of the game seem to mostly agree. My opinion is if he appeared on the scoresheet, the naggers tunes would change.

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
hahaha it was just a poor choice of a word. It happens. I think Marner did well, people who watched the entirety of the game seem to mostly agree. My opinion is if he appeared on the scoresheet, the naggers tunes would change.

The naggers on the Leafs board or the main boards?

I think overall most have been very fair to Marner, saying he played decent/good game.

Just because someone doesn't pump the tires of one of our best prospects, doesn't mean they're naggers IMO.

If you're talking about main boards, you're wasting your time paying attention to those people :laugh:

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
Solid game today. Mitch needs to work on his consistency from period to period, but he's still been pretty good overall.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Marner did nothing today and very little overall in this tourney.

Very disappointed in his play.

He needs to get stronger and faster if he wants to play in the NHL.

Other than the first 2 periods he's been good; not great, but good. The only forwards that have been better are Strome/Barzal.

Of course he needs to get stronger, but he's 18 and will bulk up over the next few years.

Seems like Point is playing hurt, he's looked very mediocre. But not as bad as Virtanen/Perlini/Crouse.

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
Other than the first 2 periods he's been good; not great, but good. The only forwards that have been better are Strome/Barzal.

Of course he needs to get stronger, but he's 18 and will bulk up over the next few years.

Seems like Point is playing hurt, he's looked very mediocre. But not as bad as Virtanen/Perlini/Crouse.
I thought Crouse had his best game today, he's more of a complimentary player than a star but he was one of the few that handled the Swiss physicality early, had the nice assists on the Hicketts goal, and crashed the net hard in the third period where his line was probably Team Canada's best.

With regards to Marner, I'd like to see him work on his legs and core strength. I thought he looked better on the puck today but that area is still a weakness for him. He looks so young!

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
The naggers on the Leafs board or the main boards?

I think overall most have been very fair to Marner, saying he played decent/good game.

Just because someone doesn't pump the tires of one of our best prospects, doesn't mean they're naggers IMO.

If you're talking about main boards, you're wasting your time paying attention to those people :laugh:

Oh I stopped worrying about the main boards long ago :laugh:

CerebralDevil

Jul 14, 2011
Did O'Dog really say Marner reminds him of Tlusty more than any other player. He goes on and said he doesn't get the Marner hype and doesn't see the talent. Just heard Hayes quote him on leafs radio and I am stunned.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Marner seems a little tired at times.

Why is the coach making him take such extremely long shifts? I feel like it is a detriment to his play.

mikebel111*

Did O'Dog really say Marner reminds him of Tlusty more than any other player. He goes on and said he doesn't get the Marner hype and doesn't see the talent. Just heard Hayes quote him on leafs radio and I am stunned.

O Dog is also been very critical of Nylander, his opinion honestly means absolutely nothing.
People shouldnt use him as he has always been a big time idiot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad