Prospect Info: Mitch Marner (continued)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
We like to love other teams prospects while trash our own, Some of our fans are wierd

Marner has elite skill.

He just needs to get stronger and not over pass so much, he needs to shoot more. That is about where my complaints end.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
Marner did nothing today and very little overall in this tourney.

Very disappointed in his play.

He needs to get stronger and faster if he wants to play in the NHL.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
No your looking at with hater glasses. I guess you just dont like to learn. Shouldnt you be in CBC right now?
See how that works;)

Stop drooling over Strome, I know he is good but he was invisible. See how that works again. Sorry but its true Marner was good today. Time to face facts

I think a bunch of us are saying you are wrong. Strome is a solid poised player, most seem to agree.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
1 game individually can't tell a story about a player. Whether it be Strome, or Marner, or any other player. So let's stop trying to make judgements from this game, or the past 2 games.

We got taken to a shootout by Switzerland, safe to say that everyone was off their game today.

We need a much bigger effort against Sweden, or that game could get ugly, especially if Nylander is back

(P.S - Love the "he didn't play well today, he won't be in the NHL next season" comments)

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think a bunch of us are saying you are wrong. Strome is a solid poised player, most seem to agree.

I wouldn't put much stock into what the majority of HFboards thinks. In fact it would probably put me at ease.

mikebel111*

No your wrong. Strome was okay, while Marner was better. Your hate on Mitch is getting old.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
1 game individually can't tell a story about a player. Whether it be Strome, or Marner, or any other player. So let's stop trying to make judgements from this game, or the past 2 games.

We got taken to a shootout by Switzerland, safe to say that everyone was off their game today.

We need a much bigger effort against Sweden, or that game could get ugly, especially if Nylander is back

We can certainly make judgements on a players play in this tournament. I dont think anyone (in this thread, at least) has said it means squat in relation to their careers.

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
I only watched the 3rd period today and all of the USA game, but I haven't seen much good from Marner. He seems to lose most battles with the puck and doesn't produce many chances like a 4th overall pick should in this tournament.

I think he's a really smart player, and when he gets chemistry with players like in London, he'll dominate, but I guess that kind of thing takes time.

He's definitely nowhere near NHL quality right now, but he has 9 months to get ready for it.

And yes, I've watched him in London too. I'm not basing my opinion of him on a 1.333 game sample size

mikebel111*

Marner has elite skill.

He just needs to get stronger and not over pass so much, he needs to shoot more. That is about where my complaints end.

Yup. But no people need to go overboard here to grab attention I guess

Its as if they can tell the future that Marner wont be in the NHL.
It would be nice to know from them when Leafs win the cup!

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta

(P.S - Love the "he didn't play well today, he won't be in the NHL next season" comments)
Based on that though is there any reason we should comment on anyone this tournament? When can you comment on the performance of a guy?

People should make whatever judgments they want about the games played. Just because it doesn't allow for glowingly positive conclusions isn't a reason to ignore the games.

In the end not the most awe-inspiring game today. Had some chances, had a nice shot off the post, but such is how it goes. If nothing else it's a reminder that there is such a long road ahead. Guys aren't going to turn into superstars overnight.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Yup. But no people need to go overboard here to grab attention I guess

Its as if they can tell the future that Marner wont be in the NHL.
It would be nice to know from them when Leafs win the cup!

You're overreacting. Come on now. No one has said anything like that and no one is trying to attention grab. Marner (and team Canada almost to a man) has had a disappointing tournament thus far.

mikebel111*

You're overreacting. Come on now. No one has said anything like that and no one is trying to attention grab. Marner (and team Canada almost to a man) has had a disappointing tournament thus far.

Okay the last I agree with, yet some are just talking in definatives about Marner

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
We can certainly make judgements on a players play in this tournament. I dont think anyone (in this thread, at least) has said it means squat in relation to their careers.

Based on that though is there any reason we should comment on anyone this tournament? When can you comment on the performance of a guy?

People should make whatever judgments they want about the games played. Just because it doesn't allow for glowingly positive conclusions isn't a reason to ignore the games.

In the end not the most awe-inspiring game today. Had some chances, had a nice shot off the post, but such is how it goes. If nothing else it's a reminder that there is such a long road ahead. Guys aren't going to turn into superstars overnight.

I'm not saying you can't comment on how a player played, positively or negatively.

I'm referring to those saying that this game, or this string of 3 games means squat when it comes to whether Marner will be in the NHL next season, or not, or who are better players/prospects.

Making overall judgments on a player from this game, or all 3 games of the tournament would be wrong. It's a little piece of the puzzle.

I didn't think my post came off as saying that you can't judge a players game.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Are you saying Strome hasn't had a strong tournament? I take it you are.

Amusing

I'd say Strome has had a "Good" tournament in the sense that anyone looking at a stat sheet will be satisfied. That is the majority of this board.

I think Strome could do a lot more then he has shown, if you go shift to shift, he hasn't been all that noticeable. That being said, you could say that for a lot of players on this team right now, coaching has been poor. So while the last thing you want to do is hate on a guy who has some goals, the majority of this team really needs to get it going.

I've liked Barzal and Marner's games a lot, they were creative and made stuff happen almost every time they were on the ice. They don't have the goals or the love that goes with the goals unfortunately from the majority of this board.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
If Marner had scored a goal and an assist today but played the EXACT same game, he would have been praised. He didn't score this game so people think he isn't as good as he actually is. He played a great game, created chances/space, played hard on the forecheck and back check. He picked at least 3-4 pockets today and broke up several scoring chances. He didn't pot any and Lowry kind of mishandled him today. It happens, move on.

mikebel111*

Alright Great was a stretch, but overall Marner had a good game, had a weak 3rd period though. He will need to step it up in later games and it would be nice seeing a Nylander vs Marner matchup if Willie plays

Also I am not impressed by Virtanen, no creativity at all.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
If Marner had scored a goal and an assist today but played the EXACT same game, he would have been praised. He didn't score this game so people think he isn't as good as he actually is. He played a great game, created chances/space, played hard on the forecheck and back check. He picked at least 3-4 pockets today and broke up several scoring chances. He didn't pot any and Lowry kind of mishandled him today. It happens, move on.

No one played a great game. I disagree.

mikebel111*

Maybe great IMO is a stretch but when people say he wasnt impressive, well that proves they didnt watch the game. No points for Marner? "What a terrible performance"

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
Marner was very noticeable. There were certain shifts where he'd just completely take over and tie the puck to his stick. He's making things happen and getting chances even if he isn't putting up goals. The points should come, although I would like to see him take another step up.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Out of curiosity, what was Kane like at WJC. Did he dominate?

Evander Kane? Made it due to injury and was pt/game, quietly effective as far as my memory goes.

Patrick Kane? Looked great, especially at his age. He was making a lot of plays. In fact he kind of looks like Marner has looked only his linemates were connecting on a lot more passes then Marner's linemates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad