Prospect Info: Mitch Marner (continued)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Thought he looked good in the 2nd half of the US game.

Looked great vs. Denmark, could have easily had 5 points.

Whatever previous chemistry may have been there with Strome and Marner, it wasn't there 5 on 5 this tournament so far.

Marner looks as though he needs to get stronger though. There are a lot of cases of "just misses" for his linemates on the passes he sends them.

I've liked how much Point and Marner have created so far, but Queenville isn't so good with them, hoping Perlini finds his way there at some point.

Marner was much more Marner-like against Denmark which is very promising but QofC is a factor here also.

However it hopefully has benefited him confidence wise and that it allows him to build on that and continue to get better and become more of a factor with each passing game.

By the end of the event I expect Marner to be a huge factor in Canada medal outcome.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Marner was much more Marner-like against Denmark which is very promising but QofC is a factor here also.

However it hopefully has benefited him confidence wise and that it allows him to build on that and continue to get better and become more of a factor with each passing game.

By the end of the event I expect Marner to be a huge factor in Canada medal outcome.

I think the chemistry of Strome-Marner, may have been over stated or just isn't there like it was at the U18s.

I liked the Point-Marner look more, Point could keep up with Marner, just need a better LW for them.

Marner seems like he's finding his groove too, new ice surface, and not only that, coach did talk to him after the U.S. game about shooting more etc.

So far 3 pts in 2GP for Marner, it's not terrible but the great thing is we all think he has more to give.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I think the chemistry of Strome-Marner, may have been over stated or just isn't there like it was at the U18s.

I liked the Point-Marner look more, Point could keep up with Marner, just need a better LW for them.

Marner seems like he's finding his groove too, new ice surface, and not only that, coach did talk to him after the U.S. game about shooting more etc.

So far 3 pts in 2GP for Marner, it's not terrible but the great thing is we all think he has more to give.

Well to be honest it was Marner that was struggling in the Strome/Marner duo as Dylan was named Canada's player of the game as best player verses the USA.

Lowry said he split then up to help Marner get going trying him with others and well as some other struggling forwards.

Marner and Point were successful against Denmark but it was Denmark. Point is/was expected to be the guy who lead this team as captain and top scorer. Strome also still made a great pass to set up Marner on the PP for his goal.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Well to be honest it was Marner that was struggling in the Strome/Marner duo as Dylan was named Canada's player of the game as best player verses the USA.

Lowry said he split then up to help Marner get going trying him with others and well as some other struggling forwards.

Marner and Point were successful against Denmark but it was Denmark. Point is/was expected to be the guy who lead this team as captain and top scorer. Strome also still made a great pass to set up Marner on the PP for his goal.

Who knows, next year Marner and Strome may take the leadership role for Canada.

Neither will likely be 1st. liners for their teams in the NHL next year, so a month off from the NHL won't hurt them any.

Unless people are afraid they might get hurt, in which case maybe they should stay in junior. :sarcasm:

mikebel111*

Marner wasnt struggling vs US, it was patented slow start and lets be honest the other 2 couldnt keep up with him at times. Marner also set up Strome on the PP in the US game so whats all that about? It wasn't amazing game by Marner but to call it struggling is foolish IMO. Also funny how Strome had a weak game after Marner was removed from his line soooo? It means nothing to me but people are making a big issue over 1 average game by Mitch

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Who knows, next year Marner and Strome may take the leadership role for Canada.

Neither will likely be 1st. liners for their teams in the NHL next year, so a month off from the NHL won't hurt them any.

Unless people are afraid they might get hurt, in which case maybe they should stay in junior. :sarcasm:

Still a lot of development time ahead but it will be interesting to see if this is Marner and Strome only WJC.

McDavid and Eichel were both dominate as 17 year olds last year and Marner and Strome not invited at that age. Now its their turn as 18 year olds to shine, and will they be back as 19 year olds still TBD.

If they are back again then it does show the gap between picks #1 & 2 verses #3 & #4 in 2015 was fairly significant at this point.

PS. Keep in mind the WJC is in Toronto and Montreal next year so Leafs could be releasing Marner to play in the same city for TC.

Last edited:

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Eichel is 7 months older than Marner, McDavid 4 months older.

Marner's 1.5ppg so far is as good or better than either of their "dominant" performances last year.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Marner wasnt struggling vs US, it was patented slow start and lets be honest the other 2 couldnt keep up with him at times. Marner also set up Strome on the PP in the US game so whats all that about? It wasn't amazing game by Marner but to call it struggling is foolish IMO. Also funny how Strome had a weak game after Marner was removed from his line soooo? It means nothing to me but people are making a big issue over 1 average game by Mitch

Marner and Strome talk about being split up.

Six different scorers help Canada rout Denmark

http://www.tsn.ca/hockey-canada/video/canada-s-line-changes-spark-offence~777843

Canada finds its offence against Denmark

The message for Canada heading into the game against Denmark was ''get the puck to the net''. James Duthie and Bob McKenzie explain how Team Canada responded to that request, led my Mitch Marner and Mathew Barzal's stellar play.

http://www.tsn.ca/hockey-canada/video/canada-finds-its-offence-against-denmark~777791

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Marner made a nice play to Strome for the goal, but still made other nice players in the 2nd and 3rd period. Overall he had more to offer in that game. The best player thing imo is blown out of proportion, Strome didn't do much more then Marner.

No one wants to make a big deal out of beating up Denmark, and they shouldn't, hopefully he keeps bringing it here on in.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
It's like this every year. Fans get over zealous with performances at this tournament. It's insane how people get defensive or over hype.

It was ONE game and people all ready are going nuts from one spectrum to the other. I cannot believe what I'm reading here. I can't imagine some of these posters being adults or even having children.

Anyway, Marner was fairly average and quiet, as was the rest of Team Canada to be honest. Even with his average performance I thought he was one of the forwards that created the most (along with his line). The game overall was decided by Special Teams.

Exactly. I didn't think Canada was bad in their tilt with the U.S. But it was also an underwhelming performance and I kept thinking that Canada will need to notch up their play to emerge in this tournament.

And Canada's best players will have to elevate their game and be their best players and that has to include Marner we would hope.

Overall, I thought Marner was kind of quiet mostly in this (U.S) match and played a little better in the 3rd period. I don't put a lot of stock in to game against Denmark. If I had to pick a player that I noticed a bit more (in the U.S. game) than others it would be Strome or maybe Barzal. I didn't think any of Canada's defenders were stellar.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Marner made a nice play to Strome for the goal, but still made other nice players in the 2nd and 3rd period. Overall he had more to offer in that game. The best player thing imo is blown out of proportion, Strome didn't do much more then Marner.

No one wants to make a big deal out of beating up Denmark, and they shouldn't, hopefully he keeps bringing it here on in.

I'm feeling a Marner or Point player of the game today against the Swiss. :)

soulie

Jan 9, 2008
I've been watching Marner like a hawk all game (as I suspect many Leaf fans have been) and his game is almost Kessel-like with more back-checking. Not physically engaging - his small stature dictates that I suppose. Man does he take long shifts as well. Right now I feel like Marner needs two years in the AHL to get rid of these junior habits and become a pro.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Im having a hard time finding a lot to like about his game today.

Underwhelming.

He wasn't that good in third. But he was great in the first 2 periods.

He got on the ice in OT and touched the puck once, and was paired with one of the worst players Canada has this year in Chartier.

5 on 5 he's with Point and Chartier (Quenneville for a portion of the first), 2 of the worst Canadian forwards so far.

If Marner doesn't have the puck on his stick, the play is completely dead in the offensive zone. All the time. You would think the Captain could maintain some sort of cycle or make a pass to create a chance... but when was the last time you said to yourself:"Man what a pass/play from Point/Chartier/Quenneville"?

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
He wasn't that good in third. But he was great in the first 2 periods.

He got on the ice in OT and touched the puck once, and was paired with one of the worst players Canada has this year in Chartier.

5 on 5 he's with Point and Chartier (Quenneville for a portion of the first), 2 of the worst Canadian forwards so far.

If Marner doesn't have the puck on his stick, the play is completely dead in the offensive zone. All the time. You would think the Captain could maintain some sort of cycle or make a pass to create a chance... but when was the last time you said to yourself:"Man what a pass from Point/Chartier/Quenneville"?

I disagree with Point but do agree with Chartier and Quenneville. I'm still wondering how those 2 made this team. WTF has Quenneville done so far???? anyone have an answer to that? Like he has been a complete waste of a roster spot IMO and he's dragging down every line he's on. No speed, no playmaking ability, when he does get the puck...it just stops on his stick all puck movement stops and the play usually ends. He's not overly physical, like I have not liked a single thing that Quenneville has done so far.

Also Lowry has taken lessons from the Steve Spott school of coaching. What a disaster he has been.

goleafsgo88

Oct 6, 2010
Underwhelming. Hope he picks it up. If he's getting out muscled by 19 year old Swiss players imagine what's going to happen in the nhl.

Lubo

Nov 8, 2008
Im having a hard time finding a lot to like about his game today.

Underwhelming.

I hate to say this, but i'm going to have to agree here.

He's playing too much of a small, finesse game, which is not good for a 4th overall pick. Not literally that he is a "small" player, he's just not making strong plays and playing the game hard. Floating a bit too much for my liking. The coach definitely does not favour him and he doesn't have chemistry with his linemates which for sure is a contributing factor.

He seems to be trending more as a Spezza/Kessel/RNH style rather than Giroux/Kane (which obviously are his more flattering pro-style projections).

It's a just a few games, and he has definitely had flashes of great dominating play (2-3 consecutive 2nd period shifts), but the consistency is just not there.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I disagree with Point but do agree with Chartier and Quenneville. I'm still wondering how those 2 made this team. WTF has Quenneville done so far???? anyone have an answer to that? Like he has been a complete waste of a roster spot IMO and he's dragging down every line he's on. No speed, no playmaking ability, when he does get the puck...it just stops on his stick all puck movement stops and the play usually ends. He's not overly physical, like I have not liked a single thing that Quenneville has done so far.

Point has been pretty awful to me. I can't think of a single play that made me impressed or even remotely think that he was playing a good shift.

Just plain meh. Very disappointing that a returning forward and the captain is just not doing anything.

Big Easy

Jan 21, 2014
SW Ontario
Not overly impressed with Marner so far. He shows flashes of his skill, but looks soft and gets knocked off the puck easy. The one Suisse defender behind the net knocked him on his backside rather easily. There was multiple times I saw him fall to the ice randomly without even be provoked.

mikebel111*

One of the best players on the ice, its too bad his linemates are trash.

If he keeps it up, he will be in the NHL next season. He was impressive today. While the size guys like Strome were invisible for most part

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad