Prospect Info: Mitch Marner (continued)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

mallory67

Jul 2, 2015
North Carolina
Can we all just remember that Marner setup the game tying goal deep in the third?
Canada only scored 2 goals ... so Mitch wasn't going to have a 5 point game.

That Hickett's play was scary bad ... and the reason Canada lost.

Marner and Strome were VERY good in the 3rd for a couple of 18 year olds at the WJC for the first time.
Everyone take a chill pill ...

MapleLeaf

Sep 29, 2015
I am hoping Marner can turn into a dominant force for Canada in this tourney. In fairness to him, nobody really played all that well. One player I was impressed with was Austin Matthews....I hope we can win the lottery !

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Not the best performance from Marner on the world stage against the best players in and around his age-group.

It may be premature but I think this tournament is going to further highlight just how far away Marner really is from pro competition.

He isn't getting the green light to take ironman shifts now that he's playing against top level talent.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Not the best performance from Marner on the world stage against the best players in and around his age-group.

It may be premature but I think this tournament is going to further highlight just how far away Marner really is from pro competition.

He isn't getting the green light to take ironman shifts now that he's playing against top level talent.

i agree he ll be in next years WJC for sure

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
When Marner inevitably has a great game, it's going to be hilarious to see the change in opinion.
What you think at that point people will say "wow he had an awesome game on Boxing Day" :laugh:?

The guy said it himself. Good third period, needed to be better in the first two. That's both accurate and not a crime to say. He's going to have a wow game at some point, but can say this probably isn't one of those.

Dangerous guy, but one that clearly needs time to warm up or adapt before he really takes off.

mikebel111*

What you think at that point people will say "wow he had an awesome game on Boxing Day" :laugh:?

The guy said it himself. Good third period, needed to be better in the first two. That's both accurate and not a crime to say. He's going to have a wow game at some point, but can say this probably isn't one of those.

Dangerous guy, but one that clearly needs time to warm up or adapt before he really takes off.

The comments will be something like this
"I knew he would be good all along" :laugh:

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I enjoy the high standards we hold for our prospects. Marner was one of the best players on the ice, and everyone is still dissapointed.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Can we all just remember that Marner setup the game tying goal deep in the third?
Canada only scored 2 goals ... so Mitch wasn't going to have a 5 point game.

That Hickett's play was scary bad ... and the reason Canada lost.

Marner and Strome were VERY good in the 3rd for a couple of 18 year olds at the WJC for the first time.
Everyone take a chill pill ...

Hicketts was a brain fart, but Fluery got beat several times like he stoled something. He was awful and I know the kid!

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
The comments will be something like this
"I knew he would be good all along" :laugh:

This.

There's nothing wrong with saying he didn't have a great game, because he didn't, but the people saying he can't play against top competition or something to that effect are just plain wrong. A lot of those people are also going to be pumping Marner's tires when he has a great game and will conveniently forget about what they said before.

Bravid Nonahan

carlylol = القسوة
Mar 22, 2009
أو&#1585
Marner will be fine, he is a slow starter. It happened this year in London too..and you know what, maybe he will end up having a sub-par tournament. It happens. But it's still only 1 game and there is lots of hockey left lol.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Canada got 2 goals, and Marner assisted one of them. My math sucks but that would mean Marner was responsible for 50% of the goals scored by Canada. That's sound pretty good to me.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Remember Jerry D'Amigo? that's why you shouldn't put stock in the world junior tourny. Just like a playoff series, any player is capable of doing great things, then never being heard from again. Doesn't matter how any of our prospects do IMO, I'm just glad I'll be seeing them in HD.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
You watch Marner and see the skill and want it to happen all the time.

But then in the 3rd you watch him back off the D like that and making the Strome goal happen and it's very re-assuring.

Definitely excited for what's to come.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON

It is premature.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Remember Jerry D'Amigo? that's why you shouldn't put stock in the world junior tourny. Just like a playoff series, any player is capable of doing great things, then never being heard from again. Doesn't matter how any of our prospects do IMO, I'm just glad I'll be seeing them in HD.

I would have gone the route of players who had mediocre world juniors but turned out to be substantial NHLers not the other way around. Like Nathan MacKinnon's 1 assist in 6 games or James Neal's 0 points in 6 games or Jonathan Toews' 2 assists in 6 games. And nothing is saying that Marner will have a tournament like that.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
It's like this every year. Fans get over zealous with performances at this tournament. It's insane how people get defensive or over hype.

It was ONE game and people all ready are going nuts from one spectrum to the other. I cannot believe what I'm reading here. I can't imagine some of these posters being adults or even having children.

Anyway, Marner was fairly average and quiet, as was the rest of Team Canada to be honest. Even with his average performance I thought he was one of the forwards that created the most (along with his line). The game overall was decided by Special Teams.

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
It's like this every year. Fans get over zealous with performances at this tournament. It's insane how people get defensive or over hype.

It was ONE game and people all ready are going nuts from one spectrum to the other. I cannot believe what I'm reading here. I can't imagine some of these posters being adults or even having children.

Anyway, Marner was fairly average and quiet, as was the rest of Team Canada to be honest. Even with his average performance I thought he was one of the forwards that created the most (along with his line). The game overall was decided by Special Teams.

Remember D'Amigo's performance? Lol.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Marner left for the WJC camp coming off 2 consecutive hattricks in the OHL so he should have been soaring as far as confidence goes.

He has looked off in all 4 WJC games he has played in so far and the player we see in junior not the one that has arrived for Team Canada yet.

In order for Canada to win gold he has to be a key contributing factor for the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad