Prospect Info: Mitch Marner (continued)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
I don't think ANYONE has much of a problem with some solid criticism..... It's not kool aid, it's the posters that ONLY bash Marner/Nylander that bug people. Some people got nothing good to say at all, which is just as insane as someone on the kool aid!

This is true, as it's easy to spot those people but there are some who defend any and all genuine criticism for a certain player/prospect as well.

Takes a while, but eventually you learn who are the posters that actually think for themselves, and that criticism is actually taken seriously. Some people are just trolls, and those opinions are either ignored, or have a massive backlash from posters.

Nailed it with the bold'd part, agreed fully. I'll just extend it and include those who are always negative OR always defending and never critical. Works both ways.

Last edited:

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Well I am glad to know that I can stop wasting my time on Marner since so many have deemed him garbage after 1 game of a junior tournament.

Ronald Ocean

Disregard username
Sep 12, 2008
Well I am glad to know that I can stop wasting my time on Marner since so many have deemed him garbage after 1 game of a junior tournament.

WJC is a good look at how a players NHL career will turn out didnt you know? I mean look at Cody Hodgson tearing the league up.

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009

WJC is a good look at how a players NHL career will turn out didnt you know? I mean look at Cody Hodgson tearing the league up.

Outside of one or two posters; since when does calling a spade in Marner playing a bad game overall (except for a good 3rd) = thinking his garbage after 1 game?

That's some faulty logic unless you guys are referring to one or two that took it to the extreme :laugh:

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Marner strikes me as a guy that is a slow starter in this point in his career, not sure why everyone is shocked when he has a poor first showing.

The kid is 18 and sometimes his nerves get to him at first, but it's clear once he gets his feet going and the confidence back up his game is great. I see him doing very well against Denmark in game 2.

TmlHockeyFan

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
Are you inferring we should have picked Strome at 4

I would have.

Strome wasn't available at 4, Marner is a great prospect. I'm not disappointed. Happy to have Marner on this team. Would've been happy with either of the two of them. It was a "win-win" situation for me as a number 4 pick. Choose Marner if he's available or choose Strome if he's available.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
Strome wasn't available at 4, Marner is a great prospect. I'm not disappointed. Happy to have Marner on this team. Would've been happy with either of the two of them. It was a "win-win" situation for me as a number 4 pick. Choose Marner if he's available or choose Strome if he's available.
I don't understand why Strome is mentioned in a Marner thread
I would have.
lol

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Marner strikes me as a guy that is a slow starter in this point in his career, not sure why everyone is shocked when he has a poor first showing.

The kid is 18 and sometimes his nerves get to him at first, but it's clear once he gets his feet going and the confidence back up his game is great. I see him doing very well against Denmark in game 2.
Good post, I completely agree.

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
seemed kinda like he wanted to show off a bit in the first two periods and it backfired with a couple of turnovers. i think he's still learning to deal with the spotlight, and also what he can get away with against better competition. Once Canada was down a goal, he started to play smarter hockey. I'm hoping and predicting as the tourney goes on his game will settle down and be much more effective.

He's also got a long ways to go physically. 1 on 1 battles in the corner he is boxed out to easily.. He still finds ways to be effective, but if he had some strength that would multiply 10x. He gets knocked on the ground way to easily. It's tough to picture him in the nhl next year because of this unless he has a nylander like growth spurt.

Backhandshelf81

Jun 14, 2013
It would be one thing if the tournament was over, and Marner's performance level had been like that the whole time - but it's literally been one game and people are apoplectic. Some posters apparently need to take a breather from Leafs-related hockey.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015

They are so intelligent, they only needed one period to come to that conclusion.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I don't think ANYONE has much of a problem with some solid criticism..... It's not kool aid, it's the posters that ONLY bash Marner/Nylander that bug people. Some people got nothing good to say at all, which is just as insane as someone on the kool aid!

Takes a while, but eventually you learn who are the posters that actually think for themselves, and that criticism is actually taken seriously. Some people are just trolls, and those opinions are either ignored, or have a massive backlash from posters.

I speak honestly. If Marner would've had a great game today, I would've been one of the guys praising him. I've done it before and I'd do it again. I mean, he's had games where I've been completely blown away by his performance.

However, if he plays like he's afraid of the puck like he did in the first two periods of todays game, I'm gonna criticize him for it. It goes both ways.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He often seems to have slow starts to things (ie like he was in the preseason). I expect that he continues to heat up as time goes on.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
I speak honestly. If Marner would've had a great game today, I would've been one of the guys praising him. I've done it before and I'd do it again. I mean, he's had games where I've been completely blown away by his performance.

However, if he plays like he's afraid of the puck like he did in the first two periods of todays game, I'm gonna criticize him for it. It goes both ways.

He's done this a few times though, which is why I can't agree with people criticising him.

During training camp he also started very slow/poorly but continued to look better after a couple games.

he's a young guy that let's nerves get to him like almost every prospect(including mcdavid who is obviously a step above but even he started slowly with EDM) at this age.

It only becomes an issue if this continues into his 20's and he's already played a season or two as a leaf, but I find that very unlikely.

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009

However, if he plays like he's afraid of the puck like he did in the first two periods of today's game, I'm gonna criticize him for it. It goes both ways.

While there are few posters who are always negative/positive, it seems people have problems accepting any criticism. Nobody outside of one or two think Marner is garbage after one game and haven't said that.

Why can't people just accept that there will be games/days that a player plays good/great and deserves praise and there will be some that they play bad and deserve criticism?

That's a trend I've noticed. Wanna know what will happen if and when Marner plays great? He will get praised by almost all and there will be some that will say something ridiculous like where are the haters now???? Betcha that happens.

Why can't we have a place where both are acceptable and welcomed except for the few who take it overboard.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I think that most people would agree that he's capable of playing better.

It's just silly to write of my his entire future career based on a couple subpar periods (some posts in team canada threwds the World Junior boards are just cringeworthy boards

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
What I want to see are 2 Leafs at the top of the WJC leaderboard for points.

Heck, why wouldn't every Leafs fan like to see Timoshov and Marner 1-2 in the WJC points race?

I don't expect it, but I'd really like to see it.

I'll be disappointed if one of the isn't in the top 10 for scoring. They were drafted because they are slated to be point producers, and that is what I expect from them.

This is their age group 18-19 year olds, and at least one of them is supposed to be amongst the top 5 of that group, right?

Leafsbeast*

I like Marner, I think he is going to be great.

But Timashov.....this kid is exciting to watch. I am more interested in tracking him than Marner, because we just know Marner will be awesome. But Timashov could be the absolute steal of this draft by a mile. Might prove himself that he could go first round in any other draft.

Nielson looking like a stud to.

Exciting time to be a leaf fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad