Prospect Info: Mitch Marner (continued)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
This team hasn't looked totally organized from the word go. I remember fondly when Babcock coached Team Canada, that we literally looked ACE from the first puck drop.

I blame the coaching as always when I see continued disunity. I will say it must be difficult to play with Marner and coach with Marner, overnight, he is literally a rover, not a center or a winger.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
This team hasn't looked totally organized from the word go. I remember fondly when Babcock coached Team Canada, that we literally looked ACE from the first puck drop.

I blame the coaching as always when I see continued disunity. I will say it must be difficult to play with Marner and coach with Marner, overnight, he is literally a rover, not a center or a winger.

I agree, to me it looks like a lot of the players are playing an individual game first and whatever the coach is selling 2nd. Whether it's coaching or the amount of pressure these guys feel to put up a solid tournament performance, is hard to say, likely a combination of both.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Remember Jerry D'Amigo? that's why you shouldn't put stock in the world junior tourny. Just like a playoff series, any player is capable of doing great things, then never being heard from again. Doesn't matter how any of our prospects do IMO, I'm just glad I'll be seeing them in HD.

Jerry was fantastic time after time when it came to money hockey. One of a very select handful of players who over and over again significantly increased his production when it mattered. Let's not pretend WJC was his only period of stepping up.

Conversely, several years ago when the Memorial Cup was in Moncton, you'd think you wouldn't judge much from that but coming out of that (despite several more highly regarded players), I said Brad Marchand was hands down the most noticeable player every single shift. Looking back, he's proved superior to most everyone.

Mad Brills*

Honestly, his play in this tourney matters 0% towards his development

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
It's like this every year. Fans get over zealous with performances at this tournament. It's insane how people get defensive or over hype.

It was ONE game and people all ready are going nuts from one spectrum to the other. I cannot believe what I'm reading here. I can't imagine some of these posters being adults or even having children.

Anyway, Marner was fairly average and quiet, as was the rest of Team Canada to be honest. Even with his average performance I thought he was one of the forwards that created the most (along with his line). The game overall was decided by Special Teams.

I think he looked pretty good at times, amongst the better performers.

We have to keep it in perspective that the competition is much greater than what he would face in the OHL.

If there was a relegation system in the OHL, tier 1 and tier 2 he would benefit from playing against tier 1 players. Unworkable in a league of temporary employees though, as the turnover is just too great to know which team is going to be tier 1 from year to year.

I expect him to be much better the longer this goes on as he adjusts his game to the competition. Matthews didn't exactly run roughshod over the Canadians, but he's 6'2", 194 lbs., so he has an advantage there creating space.

EDIT: It looked like Marner and Strome were really starting to put it together, with Strome getting himself open for pucks from Marner. Maybe their linemate should be a grinder alas Gretzky to Kurri with some body on the other side making space.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Can we all just remember that Marner setup the game tying goal deep in the third?
Canada only scored 2 goals ... so Mitch wasn't going to have a 5 point game.

That Hickett's play was scary bad ... and the reason Canada lost.

Marner and Strome were VERY good in the 3rd for a couple of 18 year olds at the WJC for the first time.
Everyone take a chill pill ...

We'll have to wait for the New years eve game before we see Canada's next big test. Hopefully it goes better than yesterday. And hopefully we can get past that dirty Swiss team and their headhunters without any injuries. Last thing we need is another nameless swiss player taking runs at our team and injuring our important players like Marner.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
We'll have to wait for the New years eve game before we see Canada's next big test. Hopefully it goes better than yesterday. And hopefully we can get past that dirty Swiss team and their headhunters without any injuries. Last thing we need is another nameless swiss player taking runs at our team and injuring our important players like Marner.

How many of those players are still in their line-up?

Shouldn't there be about 3 suspensions if they were all dirty hits?

http://www.worldjunior2016.com/en/news/thurkauf_suspension/

Thurkauf will miss his team’s next preliminary round game against Denmark.

The violation occurred in the Swiss zone 11:12 into the second period in the preliminary round game between Sweden and Switzerland. Near the end boards Swedish forward Adrian Kempe gained possession of the puck, after which Thurkauf came into the play and hit Kempe with a hard check to the back shoulder, causing his head to crash hard against the glass. Kempe had to leave the ice following the hit and did not return to the game.

The Panel determined that Thurkauf’s actions were in violation of Rule No. 119 Boarding, and that supplemental discipline should be applied.

Thurkauf will be eligible to return to play in his team’s preliminary round game against Canada on 29 December.

Switzerland will be down three players going into today's game against Denmark, following Chris Egli’s three-game suspension and defenceman Fabian Heldner’s match penalty, both for checking to the head violations that occured during the Sweden game

If Marner isn't permitted to play this game because of fear he might get hit/hurt forget seeing him in the NHL be effective as he'll have a huge target painted on him.

AustonWassup

Dec 28, 2007

Babcock's team in '97 tied the US and the Czech's in the round robin and everyone thought the sky was falling then too.

It's one game.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
How many of those players are still in their line-up?

Shouldn't there be about 3 suspensions if they were all dirty hits?

http://www.worldjunior2016.com/en/news/thurkauf_suspension/

If Marner isn't permitted to play this game because of fear he might get hit/hurt forget seeing him in the NHL be effective as he'll have a huge target painted on him.

I didn't say that Marner shouldn't be in the game. I just said I hope we get past them with without any injuries. And it wasn't just two swiss players that were playing dirty. Like Coach Gronberg said, the Nylander play was one of several dirty plays that went on in that game.

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
Babcock's team in '97 tied the US and the Czech's in the round robin and everyone thought the sky was falling then too.

It's one game.

Yes true, but as I said to myself and one friend, we just look good. Really good. Those two teams played well. But I meant more in the main draw also, I couldn't give two craps about round robins, I was a pro athlete myself and I am a pro trader now, if there isn't anything on the line, a pro really just uses the exhibitions to work on whatever he or she feels is worth tinkering on.

mikebel111*

1 goal and an assist. IMO he and Barzal were the best players in the game

After his slow start which is normal for him, he has been really good.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Marner left for the WJC camp coming off 2 consecutive hattricks in the OHL so he should have been soaring as far as confidence goes.

He has looked off in all 4 WJC games he has played in so far and the player we see in junior not the one that has arrived for Team Canada yet.

In order for Canada to win gold he has to be a key contributing factor for the team.

1 goal and 1 assist is contributing.

mallory67

Jul 2, 2015
North Carolina
I count 2 games where Marner was a solid runner up for player of the game.
And you could argue he could have won a player of the game today ...

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Overhyped? Fans getting silly?

Let's call today what it was - the type of performance people expect from Marner.

He was superb

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Marner left for the WJC camp coming off 2 consecutive hattricks in the OHL so he should have been soaring as far as confidence goes.

He has looked off in all 4 WJC games he has played in so far and the player we see in junior not the one that has arrived for Team Canada yet.

In order for Canada to win gold he has to be a key contributing factor for the team.

Keep in mind he basically had two weeks of doing nothing but practicing before the tournament. He had to sit and watch the cis games and didnt play as much in the pretournament games. Thats one ov the reasons why im not a fan of the selection camp. Basically by making him watch the cis games all they did with Marner was cool him off when he was coming in hot.

Wendelstache

May 5, 2010
Maybe i am bias but i thought he was our best player today, lets hope he keeps on building on it.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Canada too dominant this game.

Marner looked great but needs to carry that into the Sweden game now.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Honestly, his play in this tourney matters 0% towards his development

I think people forget that these are kids. Extremely talented but kids nonetheless. Most of them look like they should be on their way to math or English class. Study hall 2nd period. Ups and downs are expected. I wasn't the hero I am now at 18. :)

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I think people forget that these are kids. Extremely talented but kids nonetheless. Most of them look like they should be on their way to math or English class. Study hall 2nd period. Ups and downs are expected. I wasn't the hero I am now at 18. :)

At 18 I put on 13 lbs. of muscle over 3 months, and it made me faster.

Over the next 42 years I added another 20 lbs., but it didn't make me any faster!

I thought Mitch looked better, but to be honest, I didn't watch all of the Canadian game because the better game was Russia - Finland. That was a game worth watching not seeing Canada run all over a 2nd. tier team.

Canada could lose to anyone, but realistically the Sweden game is the one that we should be looking forward to.

How Marner plays against the best competition is what we should look forward to.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
the size thing is hilarious. there's plenty of guys his size who have succeeded in the nhl. he's already as big as a rookie patrick kane was.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Thought he looked good in the 2nd half of the US game.

Looked great vs. Denmark, could have easily had 5 points.

Whatever previous chemistry may have been there with Strome and Marner, it wasn't there 5 on 5 this tournament so far.

Marner looks as though he needs to get stronger though. There are a lot of cases of "just misses" for his linemates on the passes he sends them.

I've liked how much Point and Marner have created so far, but Queenville isn't so good with them, hoping Perlini finds his way there at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad