Prospect Info: Mitch Marner (continued)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
The panel on TH were throwing out some comparables for some of the guys at the world juniors.*

Nylander - Backstrom
Marner - P.Kane
Dvorak - Giroux
Strome - Ron Francis

Not sure i get the Giroux comparison for Dvorak?

id be pretty happy if thats how it worked out.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
“He’s got to get physically stronger,” Hunter said of Marner. “I think we all know that, I think he knows that. I think over time right now, at the start he’ll be a wing, but I think he’s very capable of playing centre. He works hard at both ends of the ice, he’s got a very good work ethic, I just think he needs more strength.”

Directly from the mouth of Hunter.

HockeyAndWings

Dec 18, 2006
“He’s got to get physically stronger,” Hunter said of Marner. “I think we all know that, I think he knows that. I think over time right now, at the start he’ll be a wing, but I think he’s very capable of playing centre. He works hard at both ends of the ice, he’s got a very good work ethic, I just think he needs more strength.”

Directly from the mouth of Hunter.

Want to see Marner developed as a center, regardless of whether he turns out to be a center or winger in the future. If Marner develops as a center, it provides versatility for the Leafs in the future.

If Dvorak and Marner have to be on the same line, Dvorak and Marner need to interchange at center every once in a while.

Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
I think Marner plays the game well as a center already but he does need more size to play it in the future. If he manages to put on the right size he will be good to go. If not he will be an elite winger for a long time.

I believe Marner is the type of player who could play wing for the first couple seasons in the NHL and than transition to center later, regardless if he even plays center anymore this year. He plays the game like a center as it is.

tml19

Nov 30, 2013
Mississauga, Ontario
Want to see Marner developed as a center, regardless of whether he turns out to be a center or winger in the future. If Marner develops as a center, it provides versatility for the Leafs in the future.

If Dvorak and Marner have to be on the same line, Dvorak and Marner need to interchange at center every once in a while.

He is a good enough player they can do a Galchenyuk like transition when he is big enough.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
The panel on TH were throwing out some comparables for some of the guys at the world juniors.*

Nylander - Backstrom
Marner - P.Kane
Dvorak - Giroux
Strome - Ron Francis

Not sure i get the Giroux comparison for Dvorak?
Hyped on Willy but I don't see that much Backstrom in his game, he's much more inclined to shoot and doesn't have as strong a two way game. Also don't see much Giroux in Dvorak, I'd say he's much closer to a good scoring two-way center like Kessler. But if we end up with a Backstrom-Kane level 1-2 combo this will be one happy leaf fan.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
Hyped on Willy but I don't see that much Backstrom in his game, he's much more inclined to shoot and doesn't have as strong a two way game. Also don't see much Giroux in Dvorak, I'd say he's much closer to a good scoring two-way center like Kessler. But if we end up with a Backstrom-Kane level 1-2 combo this will be one happy leaf fan.

Yeah those are pretty lazy comparisons. Personally I think the following players are more similar stylistically:

Marner = RNH
Nylander = Seguin
Dvorak = O'Reilly
Strome = Francis

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I will take heat for this comment probably. But does Marner absolutely need to be a Center? I like him on the wing a lot more. I don't think it's a bad thing if he develops into an elite winger. As long as he is responsible both offensively and defensively I don't think it matters.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario

London isn't our farm team you can't tell them how to run there team or how to utilize there roster it's up to them. just like they can't tell Kitchener how to use Bracco or Erie to us Dermott. just because Mark Hunter works for the Leafs doesn't mean he can tell Dale how to coach his team.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
London isn't our farm team you can't tell them how to run there team or how to utilize there roster it's up to them. just like they can't tell Kitchener how to use Bracco or Erie to us Dermott. just because Mark Hunter works for the Leafs doesn't mean he can tell Dale how to coach his team.

Agree with this 100%

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009

I agree 100% with your point. HOWEVER; just because Mark works with Leafs, there's no loyalty to London either (not that you said otherwise btw). I say that because next year, I'm all for not rushing prospects, especially the weaker ones. But I don't trust Dale as a coach tbh, he lets his stars do whatever the **** they want. His not interested one bit in developing them for the NHL, and his within his rights to only care about London winning. I prefer Marner to develop under Babcock.

Last edited:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I agree 100% with your point. HOWEVER; just because Mark works with Leafs, there's no loyalty to London either (not that you said otherwise btw). I say that because next year, I'm all for not rushing prospects, especially the weaker ones. But I don't trust Dale as a coach tbh, he lets his stars do whatever the **** they want. His not interested one bit in developing them for the NHL, and his within his rights to only care about London winning. I prefer Marner to develop under Babcock.

Mark Hunter is excellent at developing top talent.

The reason he got fired from Washington was his constraints on Ovechkin

Marner has learned his great two way game from Hunter.

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009

You mean Dale Hunter. I think his a overrated coach. By constraints on Ovy, you mean asking the best goal scorer to be a plumber.

Anyways I'm not here to change anyone opinions on Dale, everyone has their own opinions.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
You mean Dale Hunter. I think his a overrated coach. By constraints on Ovy, you mean asking the best goal scorer to be a plumber.

Anyways I'm not here to change anyone opinions on Dale, everyone has their own opinions.

Yes, Dale. So used to talking about Mark.

I mean, Dale has been pumping out top NHL talents for years. London is looked at as a development beast. That's mainly due to Dale

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012

Uhh isn't Mark a co-owner? You think he doesn't have an input on how his co-owner and brother operates/ coaches the team?

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco

Just one nitpick, Marner has only played for Hunter for two years. Pretty sure he has had a good two way game since long before London, due to his motor and instincts to play high in the offensive zone. But playing for Hunter certainly hasn't hurt that part of his game. Hunter wouldn't have him on the point on the PP, killing penalties, and out for 3-4 minute shifts at times if he didn't consider him one of the best defensive forwards on the team, that's for sure.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Uhh isn't Mark a co-owner? You think he doesn't have an input on how his co-owner and brother operates/ coaches the team?

He is probably professional enough in that capacity to avoid invoking his conflict of interest. What's best for the Leafs may not be what's best for the Knights. Mark may have said "the Leafs would prefer Marner to develop at center", but that's as far as any discussion likely would have gone. Normally that decision is up to the coach.

This may surprise some, but a lot of professionals do have ethics. At high levels in business, conflicts of interest sometimes arise, and the affected parties tend to recuse themselves from certain activities accordingly.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014

Mark Hunter is an onwer of the Knights, he Doesnt work for them.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
I think Marner plays kind of a rover in London. He can play any of the forward positions, while having a defensive eye. A 200' rover per se.

People are so locked on positions, they need to categorize him.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton

That wasn't the only reason actually....He also missed his home, he missed being the big boss of everything too. It's not easy being in that spot.

mikebel111*

Marner will need to watch where he is going now, after what happened to Willie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad