Prospect Info: Mitch Marner (continued)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyalGremlin

The future is now.
Jun 19, 2007
Disagree Kane is way more clutch then Toews and game winning stanley cup overtime goal proves this. Eichel is a great skater and good shot but he has yet in his short NHL career to own a game and be the driving forve to a win . Mcdavid has done this a couple of times in his first 13 games before injury Marner drives the Game dangerous every shift like Kane and Mcdavid he can take a game over and dominate . Eichel maybe bigger faster better shot but Marner owns him in every other offensive category . My viewings of Eichel so far as well is he does not use his linemates properly Arizona is going to regret taking Strome over him book it. I will take a skill guy who can win games on his own regardless of size every time. Size and intangibles is trumped by skill .

I like the way you parley pard'ner

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Marner could be many things, Pat Kane no. Kane has sublime one foot movement, Marner does not. Kane can dart like a jitterbug like no one I have ever seen in NHL history. Lafleur could do some interesting stuff too.

Lol .Marner has incredible agility, puck control and edge work on his skates which is VERY similar to Patty Kane.

Obviously you haven't watched him play recently. You will be eating crow my friend after the WJC.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Lol .Marner has incredible agility, puck control and edge work on his skates which is VERY similar to Patty Kane.

Obviously you haven't watched him play recently. You will be eating crow my friend after the WJC.

Why didn't we see an illustrated example of this Patrick Kane style of play during pre-season with the Leafs?

You seem to know what you're talking about so let's hear it.

I've only seen him live a handful of times and on TV a dozen or two but please fill me in.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
While Marner is off at Team Canada his linemates Dvorak and Thachuk are continuing to score at a extreme pace.

Dvorak had 3 points last night and has 4 tonight and Tkachuk had 2 yesterday and 4 tonight and are now 1 & 2 in OHL scoring.

Marner is missing out on points and will have ground to make up when he returns.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
Why didn't we see an illustrated example of this Patrick Kane style of play during pre-season with the Leafs?

I've only seen him live a handful of times and on TV a dozen or two but please fill me in.

You're like, the only poster I actually expect to complain about Marner :laugh:

It was 2 games, people need to get over it. Nylander looked like **** his first preseason too.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
While Marner is off at Team Canada his linemates Dvorak and Thachuk are continuing to score at a extreme pace.

Dvorak had 3 points last night and has 4 tonight and Tkachuk had 2 yesterday and 4 tonight and are now 1 & 2 in OHL scoring.

Marner is missing out on points and will have ground to make up when he returns.

Unfortunately he probably won't be able to make up the differential between he and Dvorak. Every time Marner scores, Dvorak assists and vice-versa.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
You're like, the only poster I actually expect to complain about Marner :laugh:

It was 2 games, people need to get over it. Nylander looked like **** his first preseason too.

I was happy the Leafs selected Marner actually.

I'd just like people to explain why he should directly be compared to the top scorer in the NHL right now. If people are going to create expectations, at least back them up.

Remember that time Luke Schenn was going be Adam Foote? Because I do.

In my opinion, create wild expectations and fantasies does both the player and the fanbase an incredible disservice.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Gonna be tough unless Dvorak goes out with an injury to be honest.

mikebel111*

so let me get this right

Someone isn't allowed to compare styles, and if they do it means they think he will be as good as that player. lol. Looks like understanding just went out the window

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
Unfortunately he probably won't be able to make up the differential between he and Dvorak. Every time Marner scores, Dvorak assists and vice-versa.

The fact that the three of them are line mates makes it near impossible for Marner to catch up again. As you noted, nearly every time Marner scores or sets up a goal, these guys are part of the play.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario

I'd just like people to explain why he should directly be compared to the top scorer in the NHL right now. If people are going to create expectations, at least back them up.

In my opinion, create wild expectations and fantasies does both the player and the fanbase an incredible disservice.

Fair enough, I took your comment out of context a bit. I agree.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Disagree Kane is way more clutch then Toews and game winning stanley cup overtime goal proves this. Eichel is a great skater and good shot but he has yet in his short NHL career to own a game and be the driving forve to a win . Mcdavid has done this a couple of times in his first 13 games before injury Marner drives the Game dangerous every shift like Kane and Mcdavid he can take a game over and dominate . Eichel maybe bigger faster better shot but Marner owns him in every other offensive category . My viewings of Eichel so far as well is he does not use his linemates properly Arizona is going to regret taking Strome over him book it. I will take a skill guy who can win games on his own regardless of size every time. Size and intangibles is trumped by skill .
While I get what you're saying imo hat is still about production and it's an empirical fact that Kane out scores Toews, but what is 'clutch'?

Although it’s abundantly clear that Patrick Kane is the richer of the two when it comes to scoring, other attributes should and do factor in. The plus-minus stat, although not as sexy or eye catching as goal scoring, is quite useful in determining other aspects of one’s game. And for Jonathan Toews, it’s a tier in which he stands out.

To counter Kane’s glamorous scoring, Toews does hold the plus-minus advantage in both the regular season and playoffs. Toews’ plus-136 up-to-date regular season rating dwarfs Kane’s plus-41 rating. Their playoff plus-minus comparison follows the trend as well. Not only does Toews stand at plus-7 over 75 postseason appearances, Kane’s minus-four rating is quite unforeseen.

And while Toews’ all around plus-minus may shed light on his defensive excellence, it doesn’t begin to illustrate the full picture. Toews’ defensive efforts last season earned him the Frank J. Selke Trophy, which is annualy awarded to the best defensive forward in the league. In doing so, Toews edged out worthy candidates such as Patrice Bergeron and Pavel Datsyuk.

Although it’s abundantly clear that Patrick Kane is the richer of the two when it comes to scoring, other attributes should and do factor in. The plus-minus stat, although not as sexy or eye catching as goal scoring, is quite useful in determining other aspects of one’s game. And for Jonathan Toews, it’s a tier in which he stands out.

To counter Kane’s glamorous scoring, Toews does hold the plus-minus advantage in both the regular season and playoffs. Toews’ plus-136 up-to-date regular season rating dwarfs Kane’s plus-41 rating. Their playoff plus-minus comparison follows the trend as well. Not only does Toews stand at plus-7 over 75 postseason appearances, Kane’s minus-four rating is quite unforeseen.

And while Toews’ all around plus-minus may shed light on his defensive excellence, it doesn’t begin to illustrate the full picture. Toews’ defensive efforts last season earned him the Frank J. Selke Trophy, which is annualy awarded to the best defensive forward in the league. In doing so, Toews edged out worthy candidates such as Patrice Bergeron and Pavel Datsyuk.

“Toews, 25, ranked second on the Blackhawks with 48 points (23G, 25A) and ranked third in the NHL with a career-high plus-28 rating in 47 regular-season games. He also shared the league lead with 56 takeaways and ranked second in the NHL with a Western Conference-best 59.9 faceoff percentage.†—NHL.com

Toews became the third Blackhawk in franchise history to win the Selke Trophy, and the first since the 1990-91 season when Dirk Graham won it. Patrick Kane’s defense, though, has been the one chink in his armor. Kane’s phenomenal ability to score may masquerade his sluggish defensive efforts at times to a certain extent, but as explained, it can leave the Blackhawks vulnerable.

“There isn’t a lot to be critical about with Kane’s game, but there is one thing that he is going to need to work on for next season, and that is his fluctuating level of effort defensively.

In most games this season, Kane did a very good job of aggressively pursuing the puck in the neutral zone, both on the forecheck and the backcheck, but there were intervals in which he looked slightly disinterested.†—*NBC Chicago, 2013

Jonathan Toews Or Patrick Kane? – An Edge In Leadership

Jonathan Toews was named the 34th captain in*Blackhawks history*at the age of 20. At 22, Toews won his first Stanley Cup.

Toews doesn’t hold onto the arbitrarily plucked plus-minus stat to state his case, however. The 25-year-old captain possesses other rare qualities that make him one of, if not thee best in the game.

‘‘It’s the intangibles that separate him,’’*said former teammate Sean O’Donnell*of Toews. ‘‘Obviously, he’s a talented guy, and there’s lots of talented guys in this league, but the ‘not being denied,’ that will, the desire, whatever you want to call it that he has, you just can’t make it up.

‘‘You either have it or you don’t. He’s got it.’’

In terms of leadership, Toews is second-to-none, growing from a timid leader, to being the benchmark of what a captain is.

“I think he has an aura about him and a myth about his leadership, but if you’ve played with him it’s definitely no myth,â€said Blackhawks forward Kris Versteeg. “He’s the real deal. I come back now and instead of this little kid standing in the middle of the room pleading for help, you have this confident young man there now.â€

“Sidney Crosby wanted to make sure it was OK with him, just for the fact that he had won a couple Cups,â€*said Canada head coach Mike Babcock. “He’s held in high regard, to say the least, amongst coaches, amongst management, amongst players. He’s a huge part of the reason why [the Blackhawks] win as much as they do.â€
The above quotes imo define clutch. Many posters ridiculed Kessel as not the type of player a team should build around to build a contender. Rather he's a complimentry piece "like a Patrick Kane".
Captain Serious is he epitomy of clutch. He's the guy you want on the ice when the game is on the line. He's he guy that will make he play that will allow that other guy to score. He's the guy hat more times than not won't make a mistake that ends up in your own net.
That's my idea of what clutch means. And I know that there are differing opinions as to what it is.
I hope Marner can be this and a producer. If I had to pick one I hint I would struggle. If Nylander becomes my definition of clutch then Mitch can be the scorer or vise versa.

Last edited:

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario

Two tough matchups also. You got a Barrie team missing their entire 1st line and their goalie. And then you got the 2nd worst team in the league in a tough Wolves team. Yakimowitz had a multi point game lol. If they didn't put up multi point games I would be worried

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009

i would rather marner finish 7th in points in the ohl and then kill it at the wjc

Shwaguy*

it's almost like 2 games is a small sample size or something like that.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto

I was at the Barrie game...that was a beating :laugh:. The Colts carried the play for a lot of the first couple periods, but couldn't generate many chances. The Knights on the otherhand just capitalized whenever the opportunity presented itself. And the Colts kinda folded after they went down a few. Great puck movement by London in the offensive zone. You can really see the skill difference up front between the two teams (and Barrie is actually a decent team based on the standings).

I was impressed by Dvorak at both ends of the rink. Not explosive like Marner, but very smart player with nice hands. Tkachuk was ok I thought but didn't really stand out as much for me.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I was at the Barrie game...that was a beating :laugh:. The Colts carried the play for a lot of the first couple periods, but couldn't generate many chances. The Knights on the otherhand just capitalized whenever the opportunity presented itself. And the Colts kinda folded after they went down a few. Great puck movement by London in the offensive zone. You can really see the skill difference up front between the two teams (and Barrie is actually a decent team based on the standings).

I was impressed by Dvorak at both ends of the rink. Not explosive like Marner, but very smart player with nice hands. Tkachuk was ok I thought but didn't really stand out as much for me.

I'll be keeping an eye on McLeod as well during the WJC. With A.Nylander on the team it will be interesting to see how he performs without his wing man. This is a kid I'm hoping we draft.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Anyone else think we should have given Marner 9 games in the NHL to start the year? It wouldnt have affected his contract and hes likely gonna be in the NHL next season because he cant go to the AHL and it would have been good for him to of gotten his feet wet this year to help him prepare for next season in the NHL.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto

First off Patrick Kane is playing WAY above his career pace right now.

Second, when someone compares a play style we aren't necessarily comparing expectations of him being #X in NHL scoring

I won't bother digging them up myself but people have posted numerous videos and gifs showing the elite agility, control, stick handling and elusiveness he has. I think there were some great ones of him on the PK from a week or two ago.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
First off Patrick Kane is playing WAY above his career pace right now.

Second, when someone compares a play style we aren't necessarily comparing expectations of him being #X in NHL scoring

I won't bother digging them up myself but people have posted numerous videos and gifs showing the elite agility, control, stick handling and elusiveness he has. I think there were some great ones of him on the PK from a week or two ago.

There's lots of players around the league who demonstrate those skills, though, and that's not exclusive to Patrick Kane.

Comparing him to the best offensive player in the league is fine and all but it might lead to some fairly unrealistic expectations which doesn't do anyone any good. That's all I'm saying.

We see it year in and year out with our players.

Kadri -> Giroux
Bozak -> Gilmour
Colborne -> Thornton
Rielly -> Coffey
Gardiner -> Niedermayer
Kessel -> Bure
Schenn -> Foote
Biggs -> Lucic
Ross -> Tucker
Stajan -> Bergeron

The list goes on and on...

Leaf19

Dec 25, 2013
Damn I was looking forward to watching Marner today, looks like he's not in the lineup :(

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Anyone else think we should have given Marner 9 games in the NHL to start the year? It wouldnt have affected his contract and hes likely gonna be in the NHL next season because he cant go to the AHL and it would have been good for him to of gotten his feet wet this year to help him prepare for next season in the NHL.

Nope. He always starts slow, there wasn't a good reason to leave him up for 9 games.

Diddy

Feb 20, 2015
SK
So I don't manage to watch many knights games but has he been playing centre all year? Are we still going to see him as a centre in the NHL?

91Stammer*

Feb 11, 2014
Leafland/Richland
Nope. He always starts slow, there wasn't a good reason to leave him up for 9 games.

That's the reason you should give him some time after pre-season, but it was all planned out by the management that they wanted none of the younger ones that are going to play for Leafs in future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad