Prospect Info: Mitch Marner (continued)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
That's the reason you should give him some time after pre-season, but it was all planned out by the management that they wanted none of the younger ones that are going to play for Leafs in future.

Rewarding bad play isnt the current mantra, people need to start respecting/trusting the management a little more around here. part of that is getting rid of this ridicules idea that 18 year olds who don't have great camps should be in the starting lineup, thats simply not how top teams operate/manage. I would argue that it took 10-15 games of OHL hockey for him to really heat up. They wanted to try him at C again and get him playing on the pk more and stuff like that, so the knights were the perfect place for him to go. I love Marner, but it could not of been more clear that he wasn't ready this year. Not only that, the mandate is that prospects will play on the team only after they are "more than ready". Im sorry but to say that his camp emanated that at all would be just ignorance. It is absolutely crazy to think that A) he deserved to play the 9 games in the first place, and B) that after the 9 games in the NHL he would be lighting it up. To better answer B, it took 20+ mins a night in 10-15 games at the junior level for him to heat up, if you honestly think that babs would have played him that much this year, you're dreaming.

Bottom line: he wasn't ready in any capacity to be in the NHL as an 18 year old, and you people need to start accepting that. It's not a knock on his skill, attitude, size, none of that, it was just an unrealistic expectation.

Last edited:

91Stammer*

Feb 11, 2014
Leafland/Richland
Let's be clear...

You're suggesting that Babcock and management set an age requirement this pre-season to play with the Leafs, meanwhile calling other people's opinions nonsense.

:laugh:

Lol I just said management set their goal and planned out that no one will get to play for the leafs. I never said it was good or bad planning by them. I just pointed what they did and what they wanted to do from the beginning. But people usually give their 4th overall pick a chance of 9 games when your team is hot garbage.

Still it doesn't bother me at all since I dont die for the management to succeed. We have seen many different people fooling fans for almost a decade now and team still is going nowhere, but scratch all these and did you look at that post? It's laughable at best when you take a look at it as a reply to my post.:laugh:

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Rewarding bad play isnt the current mantra, people need to start respecting/trusting the management a little more around here. part of that is getting rid of this ridicules idea that 18 year olds who don't have great camps should be in the starting lineup, thats simply not how top teams operate/manage. I would argue that it took 10-15 games of OHL hockey for him to really heat up. They wanted to try him at C again and get him playing on the pk more and stuff like that, so the knights were the perfect place for him to go. I love Marner, but it could not of been more clear that he wasn't ready this year. Not only that, the mandate is that prospects will play on the team only after they are "more than ready". Im sorry but to say that his camp emanated that at all would be just ignorance. It is absolutely crazy to think that A) he deserved to play the 9 games in the first place, and B) that after the 9 games in the NHL he would be lighting it up. To better answer B, it took 20+ mins a night in 10-15 games at the junior level for him to heat up, if you honestly think that babs would have played him that much this year, you're dreaming.

Bottom line: he wasn't ready in any capacity to be in the NHL as an 18 year old, and you people need to start accepting that. It's not a knock on his skill, attitude, size, none of that, it was just an unrealistic expectation.

So to sum this up you are using the entitlement and resume argument correct? I dont see how its relevant to compare him to Gretzky who was a prospect over 40 years ago or Hawerchuck or Carson who was drafted almost 30 years ago to be honest, but thats your opinion I guess.

The problem with this argument is that entitlement/resume means nothing to babcock and the current management. Drouin had a higher ppg than Marner in his draft year and he got sent back, Strome got sent back with the same ppg, Reinhart, Draisaitl etc. The problem with your argument is that it is simply not common practice today to do these things, players don't make NHL rosters at 18 due to entitlement, they make it because it is simply impossible to put them back in the minors. Did Marner take a spot with his training camp performance? Nope, therefore... back to the minors. Let's wake up around here shall we

Excellent posts back-to-back..

It's incredible to me, the idea, that a few career bottom-six scrubs pose any sort of hindrance to Marner claiming a spot on the Toronto Maple Leafs, of all teams...

Sort of a ridiculous argument to make when you think about it for more than a few seconds.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
So I don't manage to watch many knights games but has he been playing centre all year? Are we still going to see him as a centre in the NHL?

He started at C and was playing well, however it only lasted a few games. Since Hunter put Marner with Dvorak and Tkachuk the whole line has been the best in the CHL in almost a decade.

I think he'll be a C similar to the way Dallas used Benn or Detroit with Zetterberg, basically alternating between W or C wherever he is needed.

JimmyPower

Apr 25, 2007
This has gone on for much too long. Any updates on the actual player? Totally agree with above post

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
You haven't shut anything down, and you don't seem to have much NUANCE to your arguments at all.
"LOL" and "LAUGHABLE" are not shutdown arguments ... they are a sign of weakness.

You simply can't see that management strategy is different from on-ice strategy. It's the same with the whole "are the Leafs tanking?" discussion. The on-ice Leafs and Babcock are absolutely not tanking. But management is. They traded Kessel for prospects/picks and picked up Arcobello and Grabner and Spaling!

Same goes for the young guys. On ice and off ice. Management dictated these kids are heading down. Management put Marner out for half the pre-season and then sent him down.

You haven't single handedly shutdown anything. Very immature to claim victory in a one on one argument. Have you done a POLL? Cause I would suggest we have both been unsuccessful in convincing the other.

But Hey! LOL! LAUGHABLE! You win!

While most of your points are true in the case with Marner however he didn't have a good camp to warrant 9 games. From all the young guys that deserved, earned and flat out beat out the dead weight they signed Marner wasn't part of that group. Timashov and Dermott had way better showings at camp than Marner did and both were sent down for a similar reason... If you ask me Marner did get some entitlement treatment as the 4t overall pick. It was clear he wasn't ready for the NHL just from his performance in camp and was kept longer than needed to make a decision on him

Nylander and a few others however your points are bang on that management didn't plan to have any kids on the team this year and stuck to it even though a handful earned jobs.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
"The problem with this argument is that entitlement/resume means nothing to babcock and the current management."

Mikeyg what are you talking about? Nylander played better than half of the line up during camp but was sent down. Nylander earned a 9 game call up but didn't get one. The same thing would have happened to Marner as well. The Leafs had no intentions of having Marner or Nylander in the NHL to start this season. Good PLAY meant nothing to Babcock as a guy like Boyes, Parenteau, and Arcobello didn't outplay Nylander during camp, but yet all found themselves on the opening night roster.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
"The problem with this argument is that entitlement/resume means nothing to babcock and the current management."

Mikeyg what are you talking about? Nylander played better than half of the line up during camp but was sent down. Nylander earned a 9 game call up but didn't get one. The same thing would have happened to Marner as well. The Leafs had no intentions of having Marner or Nylander in the NHL to start this season. Good PLAY meant nothing to Babcock as a guy like Boyes, Parenteau, and Arcobello didn't outplay Nylander during camp, but yet all found themselves on the opening night roster.

I agree with you that Nylander earned one, but Marner certainly did not earn one if we are just looking at preseason alone. The Nylander rationale isn't mine, its something Lou came up with.

Nylander and Hyman in particular played well in the pre-season. But Lamoriello cautioned that young players should be patient.

"There's no timetable for when they would be here, when they wouldn't be here," he said. "There's a lot of decisions that will be made as the season goes on and they could be here before you know it, or it could be some time."
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/maple-leafs-make-roster-cuts-send-nylander-to-marlies/

There's a dubas one which says they wanted him to work on his C game on the marlies.

Heres another report on it

While Kapanen was all but certain to be reassigned eventually, there was a growing thought that Nylander had accomplished enough in the preseason to earn a spot on the team. While that may be the case, he would have been of little use to the team this season.

There will be a losing atmosphere around the team that they don’t want to expose their top prospects to.

So its obviously not just 1 thing, seems to be a combination of development, and waiting.

So it was a smart move to send Nylander down to the Marlies. That way, he can have a full season in the AHL where we can see if he can maintain the pace he had last season after coming over from Sweden. With 32 points in 37 regular season games last season, who knows what he can accomplish in a full season with the team? If he is put on a line with Connor Brown, who was also sent down, they could produce some magic. Another option to play with him would be Kasperi Kapanen, another second-generation hockey player.

Let’s say Nylander had made the team. Where would he be in the lineup? The Leafs already have depth at the center position. Does he take the place of Tyler Bozak or Nazem Kadri? Or does he move to the wing? Even if he produced and had a great rookie season, it would still be pretty redundant. The Leafs brought in stop-gap options so they could give prospects like Nylander another year in the AHL or junior. They have the stop-gaps, so why not use them. Nylander can gain chemistry with the Leafs’ other prospects that will eventually take the next step with him.

http://thehockeywriters.com/maple-leafs-were-right-to-send-william-nylander-to-marlies/

To me, that basically says the same thing along the lines of, he didn't beat out the top 2 guys and they dont want him playing low in the lineup.

Nope. Still Strawman! I just said he was "pre-destined" to be sent down because of management policy. Most picks of his pedigree would have gotten a full pre-season and maybe some better line mates.

I am going to move on until you have cleaned up your logical fallacies.

PS. You might need to look up the word "Literally" ...

Clearly. Say all you want, but Marner still did nothing to warrant 9 games, thats the bottom line and something you can unfortunately never debate.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Quit the bickering now, otherwise warnings/infractions/thread-bans will be handed out.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
I agree with you that Nylander earned one, but Marner certainly did not earn one if we are just looking at preseason alone. The Nylander rationale isn't mine, its something Lou came up with.

Nylander and Hyman in particular played well in the pre-season. But Lamoriello cautioned that young players should be patient.

"There's no timetable for when they would be here, when they wouldn't be here," he said. "There's a lot of decisions that will be made as the season goes on and they could be here before you know it, or it could be some time."
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/maple-leafs-make-roster-cuts-send-nylander-to-marlies/

There's a dubas one which says they wanted him to work on his C game on the marlies.

While Kapanen was all but certain to be reassigned eventually, there was a growing thought that Nylander had accomplished enough in the preseason to earn a spot on the team. While that may be the case, he would have been of little use to the team this season.

There will be a losing atmosphere around the team that they don’t want to expose their top prospects to.

So its obviously not just 1 thing, seems to be a combination of development, and waiting.

So it was a smart move to send Nylander down to the Marlies. That way, he can have a full season in the AHL where we can see if he can maintain the pace he had last season after coming over from Sweden. With 32 points in 37 regular season games last season, who knows what he can accomplish in a full season with the team? If he is put on a line with Connor Brown, who was also sent down, they could produce some magic. Another option to play with him would be Kasperi Kapanen, another second-generation hockey player.

Let’s say Nylander had made the team. Where would he be in the lineup? The Leafs already have depth at the center position. Does he take the place of Tyler Bozak or Nazem Kadri? Or does he move to the wing? Even if he produced and had a great rookie season, it would still be pretty redundant. The Leafs brought in stop-gap options so they could give prospects like Nylander another year in the AHL or junior. They have the stop-gaps, so why not use them. Nylander can gain chemistry with the Leafs’ other prospects that will eventually take the next step with him.

http://thehockeywriters.com/maple-leafs-were-right-to-send-william-nylander-to-marlies/

To me, that basically says the same thing along the lines of, he didn't beat out the top 2 guys and they dont want him playing low in the lineup.

I understand all that, and personally am fine with Nylander being in the AHL. What I don't like is when people take what management says at face value. Sure maybe Babcock thought Bozak played better than Nylander during camp. I personally don't think so and I'm sure there would be a wide range of people who would agree with me. Management preaches accountability, but when your best prospect plays lights out and doesn't get a 9 game call up how are you suppose to believe that?

Point is Nylander earned at least a try out and didn't get one. So when management says these players need to "earn" there spot, take it with a grain of salt. Marner didn't necessarily earn a spot from his play, but all we need to do is look at Nylander to see that regardless of if he earned a spot or not he was getting sent down. That's my only point. Management had no intention of keeping these kids up which I think is what mallory67 and judging by Nylander's situation, I think he is correct.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008

Clearly. Say all you want, but Marner still did nothing to warrant 9 games, thats the bottom line and something you can unfortunately never debate.

Everything they say they want Nylander to work on is something that get's learned playing in the NHL gaining experience. When your ready to play in the NHL the AHL doesn't serve as a development league. It serves as a place holder until management makes room for the youngster to start his real development as an NHL player by actually playing in the NHL.

In terms of player development This management has served a whole lot of propaganda that people swallow whole. The decision of no kids making the team this year was predetermined at the DRAFT & THROUGH SUMMER when they failed to clear roster spots. When you want to trade players you can't do it by playing them less. That's what would have happened and WILL happen with Nylander and a handful of other young guys on the Leafs.

You have to get rid of the players who hold the spot that the youngster would be playing and that is proving to be a difficult thing.

Anyways that's the last of that I'll post in the Marner thread.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Everything they say they want Nylander to work on is something that get's learned playing in the NHL gaining experience. When your ready to play in the NHL the AHL doesn't serve as a development league. It serves as a place holder until management makes room for the youngster to start his real development as an NHL player by actually playing in the NHL.

One single NHL team (the Red Wings) can disprove this statement wholly.

In terms of player development This management has served a whole lot of propaganda that people swallow whole. The decision of no kids making the team this year was predetermined at the DRAFT when they failed to clear roster spots. When you want to trade players you can't do it by playing them less. That's what would have happened and WILL happen with Nylander and a handful of other young guys on the Leafs.

If Nylander wanted to beat out a 2nd or 3rd liner, he could have... if he wanted it.

That's on him.

Not management. Not the coach.

It's on the players.

They tell the coach's and management who goes where.

There's no age restriction placed on any team.

You have to get rid of the players who hold the spot that the youngster would be playing and that is proving to be a difficult thing.

Simple.

Waive Clune, Holland, or Granberg, or whoever else at the time was the weakest link.

If Nylander, much less Marner, beat a 2nd or 3rd liner out, then a 4th liner would be demoted.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008

If Nylander wanted to beat out a 2nd or 3rd liner, he could have... if he wanted it.

That's on him.

It's on the players.

Simple.

Waive Clune, Holland, or Granberg, or whoever else at the time was the weakest link.

If Nylander, much less Marner, beat a 2nd or 3rd liner out, then a 4th liner would be demoted.

Go do some studies on the Red Wings they don't waste much time of Nylander Caliber players in the AHL.. Larkin is just a small sample of that;)

Who said anything about age restricted? The Leafs are contract & roster spot restricted. I'll break it to you very simple. No trade of Bozak at the draft & through the summer ended up as no Nylander with the Leafs this year.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON

That's on him.

It's on the players.

Simple.

He did.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
I understand all that, and personally am fine with Nylander being in the AHL. What I don't like is when people take what management says at face value. Sure maybe Babcock thought Bozak played better than Nylander during camp. I personally don't think so and I'm sure there would be a wide range of people who would agree with me. Management preaches accountability, but when your best prospect plays lights out and doesn't get a 9 game call up how are you suppose to believe that?

Point is Nylander earned at least a try out and didn't get one. So when management says these players need to "earn" there spot, take it with a grain of salt. Marner didn't necessarily earn a spot from his play, but all we need to do is look at Nylander to see that regardless of if he earned a spot or not he was getting sent down. That's my only point. Management had no intention of keeping these kids up which I think is what mallory67 and judging by Nylander's situation, I think he is correct.

Before we were talking about Marner not nylander. You will never convince me that Marner's showing in this pre-season warranted an extended look, it just wasn't there. The thing about Nylander though, is that he really did have limited C experience in North America. Sure bozak might not be all that great but hes a 40-50 point guy or something around there. I imagine that the management didnt quite think that Nylander would be able to replicate that this year maybe. Who knows, maybe Nylander has overperformed so far in the AHL, and maybe the management didn't think that he would be this good at center. Point is, we don't know how good or bad the management thought Willie is/was, but there are some reasons why that might be the case. Again, last year he played wing on the marlies, im sure that they just wanted him to get some games at C before they put him into bozak's spot, thats really the only thing I could think of as to why he didn't get that tryout. Marner is different all together though, he clearly needed more ohl time.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011

In terms of player development This management has served a whole lot of propaganda that people swallow whole. The decision of no kids making the team this year was predetermined at the DRAFT & THROUGH SUMMER when they failed to clear roster spots. When you want to trade players you can't do it by playing them less. That's what would have happened and WILL happen with Nylander and a handful of other young guys on the Leafs.

To be fair, at that time he had no experience playing C in North America. Its kind of a reach to expect him to just come in as the 1C w/o proving himself first. Honestly, I dont really agree with what you said about having to move players out, because clearly he could beat out probably 2 of the current C's for sure for a job. I just think that he wasn't ready to beat bozak out as the 1c because he had limited experience at center in north america. Thats the only reasonable explanation you can have for that really.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Go do some studies on the Red Wings they don't waste much time of Nylander Caliber players in the AHL.. Larkin is just a small sample of that;)

If you've been watching Larkin at all you'll see a very mature, already-developed defensive game in addition to excellent offensive instincts.

How can you possibly say that about Nylander?

Who said anything about age restricted? The Leafs are contract & roster spot restricted. I'll break it to you very simple. No trade of Bozak at the draft & through the summer ended up as no Nylander with the Leafs this year.

Why?

Could he not have beat out Peter Holland, Bryon Froese, Nick Spaling, etc. ?

If they're going to burn a year of Nylander's ELC and he was NHL-ready, why would the Leafs shoot themselves in the foot by burying him in the minors?

Explain this.

Leaf19

Dec 25, 2013
If you've been watching Larkin at all you'll see a very mature, already-developed defensive game in addition to excellent offensive instincts.

How can you possibly say that about Nylander?

Why?

Could he not have beat out Peter Holland, Bryon Froese, Nick Spaling, etc. ?

If they're going to burn a year of Nylander's ELC
and he was NHL-ready, why would the Leafs shoot themselves in the foot by burying him in the minors?

Explain this.

They aren't. His ELC is going to slide one more year if he plays 9 or less this year. He could potentially start next year on a fresh 3 year ELC. I think that has a huge part to do with why he's not up with the big club, aside from letting him master his play without the puck.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Before we were talking about Marner not nylander. You will never convince me that Marner's showing in this pre-season warranted an extended look, it just wasn't there. The thing about Nylander though, is that he really did have limited C experience in North America. Sure bozak might not be all that great but hes a 40-50 point guy or something around there. I imagine that the management didnt quite think that Nylander would be able to replicate that this year maybe. Who knows, maybe Nylander has overperformed so far in the AHL, and maybe the management didn't think that he would be this good at center. Point is, we don't know how good or bad the management thought Willie is/was, but there are some reasons why that might be the case. Again, last year he played wing on the marlies, im sure that they just wanted him to get some games at C before they put him into bozak's spot, thats really the only thing I could think of as to why he didn't get that tryout. Marner is different all together though, he clearly needed more ohl time.

Agreed, I don't think Marner play warranted a second look either. My point is we can use Nylander as an example to determine Marners fate even if his play did warrant another look. Whether Bozak is all that great really doesn't matter in this situation though. Point is Nylander out points him and out played him during camp. Now if Management was really going to hold Bozak accountable he would be moved down the depth chart for Nylander. Alas as we all saw that did not happen.

You posted how management does not care about entitlement but not giving Nylander a tryout screams entitlement to me. Why? Because if Bozak was a 19 year old 6'1 195 player and played like that in camp, he wouldn't be on the team. Also he played centre during preseason and was still better than Bozak. They could have gave him games at C during the tryout.

You honestly bring up great points in your post, in fact they are totally reasonable and plausible. The point i'm trying to make (and a few other posters too) is that guys like Marner and Nylander had their fates sealed before training camp begun. baring an unbelievable training camp both were being sent down regardless of if they outplayed current roster members (like Nylander did). Regardless I can say we both do agree that at the start of camp Marner needed some more seasoning in the OHL.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Agreed, I don't think Marner play warranted a second look either. My point is we can use Nylander as an example to determine Marners fate even if his play did warrant another look. Whether Bozak is all that great really doesn't matter in this situation though. Point is Nylander out points him and out played him during camp. Now if Management was really going to hold Bozak accountable he would be moved down the depth chart for Nylander. Alas as we all saw that did not happen.

You posted how management does not care about entitlement but not giving Nylander a tryout screams entitlement to me. Why? Because if Bozak was a 19 year old 6'1 195 player and played like that in camp, he wouldn't be on the team. Also he played centre during preseason and was still better than Bozak. They could have gave him games at C during the tryout.

You honestly bring up great points in your post, in fact they are totally reasonable and plausible. The point i'm trying to make (and a few other posters too) is that guys like Marner and Nylander had their fates sealed before training camp begun. baring an unbelievable training camp both were being sent down regardless of if they outplayed current roster members (like Nylander did). Regardless I can say we both do agree that at the start of camp Marner needed some more seasoning in the OHL.

Bozak is interesting, but he really didn't have a lot of competition in that season either. I just checked and it looks like in 2009 it was basically only him, grabro and a really young kadri at that point. You might look at it as bozak got handed that position, but the problem then was that there really wasn't anyone else competing for it either though.

This is what im thinking for nylander. Dubas said that the reason why they brought him over last year was to see what he could do in north america after having a good half year in sweden. Obviously he did really well last year on wing, and im pretty sure he could of made this team as a top 6 winger this year. The only thing I could think of as to why he wasnt on the team is that they wanted him to develop as a 1C. Now I do recall that dubas made mention of the fact that nylander's fo % was low and it was something he would have to work on. Its early but this might be the exact same case as last year, where maybe around the trade deadline they bring him up to see what he can do at the NHL level, similarly to last year where they wanted to see him in the AHL. I think it is reasonable to believe that he was put back on the marlies to see what he could do as their 1C. The point here is that obviously someone in management or babcock decided that the best place for him to develop as a 1c was in the marlies, because despite how amazing he is skill wise, it would of been a bit of a reach to play him as the 1C this year in the NHL.

There has to be some kind of justification here, that's just my point.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
The panel on TH were throwing out some comparables for some of the guys at the world juniors.*

Nylander - Backstrom
Marner - P.Kane
Dvorak - Giroux
Strome - Ron Francis

Not sure i get the Giroux comparison for Dvorak?

Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
The panel on TH were throwing out some comparables for some of the guys at the world juniors.*

Nylander - Backstrom
Marner - P.Kane
Dvorak - Giroux
Strome - Ron Francis

Not sure i get the Giroux comparison for Dvorak?

Maybe you misheard and the Giroux comparison was for Marner as well. I can't see the Giroux comparison at all either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad