Prospect Info: Mitch Marner (continued)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I have said this before but needs repeating he will be a better producer then Eichel and will be much more clutch.
Interesting statement. I can see the production, but why do you think he will be more clutch?
Jack seems like a pretty serious customer when he plays. I still view him as a Toews type player and Mitch gets a lot of Pat Kane comparisons and in that analogy Kane is the producer but Toews is the clutch.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Interesting statement. I can see the production, but why do you think he will be more clutch?
Jack seems like a pretty serious customer when he plays. I still view him as a Toews type player and Mitch gets a lot of Pat Kane comparisons and in that analogy Kane is the producer but Toews is the clutch.
Disagree Kane is way more clutch then Toews and game winning stanley cup overtime goal proves this. Eichel is a great skater and good shot but he has yet in his short NHL career to own a game and be the driving forve to a win . Mcdavid has done this a couple of times in his first 13 games before injury Marner drives the Game dangerous every shift like Kane and Mcdavid he can take a game over and dominate . Eichel maybe bigger faster better shot but Marner owns him in every other offensive category . My viewings of Eichel so far as well is he does not use his linemates properly Arizona is going to regret taking Strome over him book it. I will take a skill guy who can win games on his own regardless of size every time. Size and intangibles is trumped by skill .

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Disagree Kane is way more clutch then Toews and game winning stanley cup overtime goal proves this. Eichel is a great skater and good shot but he has yet in his short NHL career to own a game and be the driving forve to a win . Mcdavid has done this a couple of times in his first 13 games before injury Marner drives the Game dangerous every shift like Kane and Mcdavid he can take a game over and dominate . Eichel maybe bigger faster better shot but Marner owns him in every other offensive category . My viewings of Eichel so far as well is he does not use his linemates properly Arizona is going to regret taking Strome over him book it. I will take a skill guy who can win games on his own regardless of size every time. Size and intangibles is trumped by skill .

Marner isn't even in the NHL yet, so everything is speculation at this point. Winning the Hobey Baker is already in Eichel's past. Didn't Kariya win the Hobey Baker as well?

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juni...nce-george-cougars-world-junior-championship/

You see elements of other players in Marner but in a lot of ways he’s most like Paul Kariya; a cerebral player who created glorious plays in the middle of chaos while the whole crowd was expecting him to get crushed by bigger and faster opponents.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007

So your comparing eichels ability to play against nhl players, to marners ability to play against junior hockey players?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I agree that Marner failed to met expectations in camp but I think it had more to do with the mental aspect of the game than anything physical.

Marner looked kind of like a fish out of water playing against bigger mature men. At one point Babcock said something like " he needs to want the puck more". More or less saying Marner looked timid and nervous, which I think was an accurate assessment.

Of course the best way for Marner to get over this issue would be begin a serious strength training program and to play him against men in the AHL but since that option isn't available he should be playing with the leafs in a limited role.

The bottom line is that after the world juniors he's wasting his time in junior hockey.

You're assessment is fair as that is a unbiased account of what transpired with Marner at Leafs 1st camp.

Physically most thought he wasn't ready at 160ish pounds for the NHL, but mentally he also struggled with confidence and that what was more surprising.

If Marner shows up at camp next year again 5-11/160ish in size and puts up another +120 points (just like he did last year) then what will have changed and what will management do the big question?

He will be a year old and more mature and hopefully that translates better to how he performs.

Ideally however he is able to add 10lbs of muscle and with that the added confidence to take on bigger and more physical players and plays like someone that makes the decision for management an easy one to keep him, because keeping someone simply because he is too good for demotion is not the reason someone should become an NHLer. In fact the later goes against everything that management has been preaching in that they want their players when they arrive to be 100% ready, for permanent NHL duty.

Last edited:

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
So your comparing eichels ability to play against nhl players, to marners ability to play against junior hockey players?

Marner will take over games when he becomes a pro and Eichel is really overrated watched him 20 times this year imo will be a 35g 55-65 point player career wise. When comments like he is as impressive this year as Mcdavid was last year should open some eyes and Eichel almost has a year on him in age and body development as well.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I know many years of failed or botched picks has many of you with a lot of caution but I suggest you purchase ohl live watch Marner keep a eye on every other player and scrorers in the league he plays against and you will see the difference in skill and how dynamic this guy is. And those who keep going on about his weight RNH was 160lbs when he entered the League look at Gaudreau you all will be eating crow about your reservations on him book it.

91Stammer*

Feb 11, 2014
Leafland/Richland
What Marner is doing in his 3rd year is what McDavid did in his 3rd year in OHL. Look at all the killer moves Marner makes everytime he is on the ice, it's just unbelievable. Now to think that he brings that every night every time he is on the ice just like McDavid, we should be overjoyed at this point.

I can definitely see Marner becoming an elite player with killer insticts and to think that he will have guys like Nylander and Rielly to help his stats, it's just dream come true.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I have said this before but needs repeating he will be a better producer then Eichel and will be much more clutch.

I hope that's true but it's wayyyyyyyy too early to tell. We gotta remember it's only Eichel's rookie season. Remember Stamkos in his first year ? Tavares ? We need to be fair and give the kid some time (meaning a few years) before we start saying things like that. He definitely has the talent if you watch him play, he just looks like he's having some issues adjusting to the nhl, when that happens he'll be a really dangerous player. Only thing about him that concerns me is his goal to assists ratio, only other player i can think of with a ratio like that is Rick Nash. Not the best playmaker but an elite level finisher. I do think he's over hyped, like all prospects are (including Marner) but it's just far too early to tell who's going to be better.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
It is one thing to have a great skill set, but hockey IQ, and being able to think the game at top speed, have the creativity, and make a play instinctively in an instant is what very few players are able to do. Marner is one of those guys. They don't come along very often. His size is what people knock, and when he is finished growing it might not even be an issue. He will put on weight, even if he doesn't get any taller.
If Marner was 6'2 190, we would have been talking about a different 2 player race for the 1st overall pick last year.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
I still think the Patrick Kane comparison is the most accurate at this point.

I wouldn't compare him to Eichel or McDavid quite yet.

Hunters Rule

Feb 6, 2015
Marner is a winger. i personally do not think we should be comparing his trajectory to Mcdavid's.

He is a centre however Hunter realizes the chemistry that Marner and Dvorak have together, and the fact teams just can't stop these two when they are playing together. Dvorak gets to play the centre role because right now he is better on the draw than Marner is. I agree with VainGretzky in the coming years Marner will project into being the second best pick of the 2015 draft.

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
Marner could be many things, Pat Kane no. Kane has sublime one foot movement, Marner does not. Kane can dart like a jitterbug like no one I have ever seen in NHL history. Lafleur could do some interesting stuff too.

Bravid Nonahan

carlylol = القسوة
Mar 22, 2009
أو&#1585
I think Marner is his own type of player. I'm not sure I can compare him to anyone currently in the NHL. The puck is on his stick all the time and he just goes wherever he wants to.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Personally, I think the Giroux comparison fits him perfectly. Both similarly built, play with grit, both good defensively, and dynamic offensive skill. I don't think Marner's top end speed is comparable to Kane, (his edgework is though), but he is very similar to Giroux in the sense that he is not the fastest guy on the ice, but he is very agile and shifty. He could gain that elite top end speed by working on his leg strength.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Datsyuk still best comparison stylistically.

Disagree, I think the consensus choice in this thread is one of Giroux and Kane. I think Giroux is the better comparison, although he's probably right between those two (not as good as Kane offensively and not quite as good as Giroux defensively, though).

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
Eichel almost has a year on him in age and body development as well.

Eichel is over 6 months older and that is a huge difference at that age range.

Marner this year looks as talented as any junior player I've ever seen in the last 20 years, with the exception of McDavid..

Having said that, Eichel should not be judged now...19 year old rookies only show you a small percentage of their talent...in a couple of years we shall see what he has, and I'm betting he will be terrific..

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I would really like and hope Leaf management take their time with this Gem, and don't rush him to the bigs until he matures a bit more. My 2 cents.

Hes going to be playing in the NHL next season. Hes wrecking the OHL. Shredding it. Ripping it up. Theres nothing left for him to do there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad