Prospect Info: Mitch Marner (continued)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
This is pretty silly to me.

The kids not exactly fast. Is adding 30lbs going to speed him up because a kid 175lbs with that speed is vulnerable to being pushed off the puck.

Tbh Marner looks like a better version of Kadri. Not really fast but slick moves. I figure if he fills out like Kadri they will be the same speed roughly.

I am leaning heavy Hannifin direction for better pick. 2ppg on an absolutely stacked team means dick to me. I don't get to see Marner much but I truly had a chance to break these games down and it's obvious what his weaknesses are.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
No actually, preseason games exposed how good Timashov was.

He was better than Marner in preseason, and he's 5'10", 192 lbs.

He's also one of the best producers in the Q.

I'm changing nothing, but it seems some are just uninformed.

There is no guarantee Marner is able to get stronger, or add size, whereas Timashov doesn't have to hope that happens.

Everyone can gain strength and size, some come about it a little easier than others.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
The kids not exactly fast. Is adding 30lbs going to speed him up because a kid 175lbs with that speed is vulnerable to being pushed off the puck.

Tbh Marner looks like a better version of Kadri. Not really fast but slick moves. I figure if he fills out like Kadri they will be the same speed roughly.

I am leaning heavy Hannifin direction for better pick. 2ppg on an absolutely stacked team means dick to me. I don't get to see Marner much but I truly had a chance to break these games down and it's obvious what his weaknesses are.

You really made yourself look silly on this one, just thought I'd point it out.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Still think we lost a 1D with that pick.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/m_news.htm?id=786476

Yeah, I wanted Hanifin as well. Never saw the allure in taking a undersized winger when our biggests holes were down the middle and on defense. Marner was a distant 3rd for me behind Strome and Hanifin on draft day. "But, he's a center because he played there for like 10 games in the playoffs". Made me crack up. :laugh:

I also would of taken Konecny with the 24th. Hanifin and Konency look pretty good right about now.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

Not sure if he really needs to gain weight, the guy (Patrick Kane) people compare him to is only 5'11", 177 lbs. the OHL website list Mitch as 5'11" , 164lbs. 13lbs of muscle is not that hard to put on, heck I put on 20-ish lbs between mid Nov to the end of Dec, about 6 weeks.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
You really made yourself look silly on this one, just thought I'd point it out.

Is his shot elite? No, is his body size and strength and conditioning NHL ready? No, is his speed elite? No.

Really he is a smart shifty player that can dangle and make plays and that's about it. I think his stats are padded from having a great team.

I'm not even going to focus on him because he is a project and needs a year or two.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Is his shot elite? No, is his body size and strength and conditioning NHL ready? No, is his speed elite? No.

Really he is a smart shifty player that can dangle and make plays and that's about it. I think his stats are padded from having a great team.

I'm not even going to focus on him because he is a project and needs a year or two.

You basically have other team's prospect envy, because Marner isn't statistically lighting up the WJC, you want Hanifin. I suggest watching more closely. Marner made several great plays throughout the team's 3 games so far, unfortunately his linemates didn't cash in on these chances and Marner doesn't get the points. He's back checked and made really good plays. I would like his consistency to be better because some periods he has seemed off.

You barely watched him but you made up some huge assumptions and conclusions about him despite seeing only 3 games of him by your own admission.

Of course, somehow most scouts in the league seemed to have missed all these flaws, and you outwitted them all.

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
3 ******* games. Remember how pogge was better than rask due to juniors?

What like Matt Finn who was supposed to be the next best thing since sliced bread? I had him pegged as a bust after one exhibition game as a pro. Which is why I don't trust any of this boards junior assessments.

Marner is no bust but he could be anything from Doug Gilmour to Spencer Abbott depending on his genetics. It has nothing to do with hockey at this point.

Hunter gets the benefit of the doubt but this kid is years away from dealing with the physical specimens that play pro hockey.

You watch a young guy like Bo Horvat hack-squatting 405 like nothing and you realize what this kid is up against. Watch an undersized guy like Matt Hunwick do power cleans to see what it takes to play as a pro at that size.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
You basically have other team's prospect envy, because Marner isn't statistically lighting up the WJC, you want Hanifin. I suggest watching more closely. Marner made several great plays throughout the team's 3 games so far, unfortunately his linemates didn't cash in on these chances and Marner doesn't get the points. He's back checked and made really good plays. I would like his consistency to be better because some periods he has seemed off.

You barely watched him but you made up some huge assumptions and conclusions about him despite seeing only 3 games of him by your own admission.

Of course, somehow most scouts in the league seemed to have missed all these flaws, and you outwitted them all.

So apparently scouts are never wrong.

Marlander93

Nov 22, 2015
IMO Marner needs to change his style of play as I can guarantee the stuff he relies on in junior will not fly in the NHL as the players are just way to smart, fast, and intelligent to fall for his high risk plays. I would also like to see him increase his footspeed in addition to obviously getting stronger. If he can refine his game he should be a beast for us in the future.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Marner is weak and slow. He thinks the game slow. That may fly in Jr where his stick handling bails him out, but is not gonna work on smarter competition.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
This thread is getting harder to read. Marner is not playing poorly, he's got 1 less point then Strome who everyone thinks is playing outstanding.

He's not completely dominating, but he's creating chances almost every shift despite being thrown throughout the line up. I can only imagine how many points he would have if he was getting the chances Virtanen is getting on that line. Guy has 0 finish despite getting golden chances from his linemates.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Marner has to earn that right. Sure we can blame the coach. But part of the blame should go to Marner. His play has to force the coach to put him out there. If he was dominating and producing than the coach would have no choice but to put him out there.

Shake your pillow dude. He has nothing to earn more than any other onthe team.

Edit: actually i don't even know what you are talking about. I don't think you watched much did yoy? I'm serious how much of the games did you watch.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Marner is weak and slow. He thinks the game slow. That may fly in Jr where his stick handling bails him out, but is not gonna work on smarter competition.

Except your bias is showing big time. You complained a lot the day we drafted Marner, any opinion you have offered on Marner has been negative. So your opinion will continue to be useless in these threads.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

I just don't understand how on one hand you can admit you've seen very few games that Marner has played (I'm assuming you've seen very few OHL teams) yet feel he handful of games you've seen are enough to write him off completely?

That doesn't seem right to me.

The reason his OHL team is so dominant is in large part due to Marner's play.

Large sample size > small sample size when it comes to analyzing players.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Except your bias is showing big time. You complained a lot the day we drafted Marner, any opinion you have offered on Marner has been negative. So your opinion will continue to be useless in these threads.

He can't play anywhere besides his stacked Jr team. Goose egg in camp and garbage showing at wjc. He put up points against Denmark, besides that he's been trash.

Didn't want him drafted, saw this from a mile away. He hasn't proven me wrong yet.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I guess I shouldn't really be surprised, but the number of people ready to flip tables on a shift-by-shift basis here with Marner is incredible.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
He can't play anywhere besides his stacked Jr team. Goose egg in camp and garbage showing at wjc. He put up points against Denmark, besides that he's been trash.

Didn't want him drafted, saw this from a mile away. He hasn't proven me wrong yet.

Him and Strome put up the same amount of points against Denmark, yet Strome only has 1 more point then him :laugh: "Trash" lol, who's taking these posts seriously?

Marlander93

Nov 22, 2015
I think everyone's main concern is that dominating the OHL is somewhat meaningless. There are tons of players that out up countless points and did nothing in the NHL. It's more about how he is putting up points and whether his style is able to translate in the NHL. At this very moment, his style of play is not suitable for the NHL whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad