Miscellaneous NHL Talk V10.0 - 2018/19 Regular Season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Weise was always paid for way, way too long. That was obvious when he was signed.

Elliott/Neuvirth paired with an idiot coach who cannot handle goalies was clearly a bad move, and has bad results.

Yeah, most people said that they'd have preferred a shorter contract, but that doesn't automatically make it a bad signing. If he had played the first couple of years the same way he played this year, I'm sure it wouldn't be viewed so poorly.

As for the goalies, Hakstols usage of them was a clear problem but I'm specifically talking about the players themselves and what was known at the time of the initial signings.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Wake up Fletch.

That is a god awful trade for the Wild. Fletch's successor has been very very unimpressive.

Carolina getting those analytics darlings. I see no real upside for Rask signed for $4 mil for another 3 years vs Nino at $5.25 x 3 years. Nino hasn't been his stellar self the last season and a half, but there's legit top 6 bounceback, and he hasn't been horrible either. Rask has been atrocious in that same period; like not playable awful. WTF Minnesota? Rask is like a cap dump without an asset attached.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Yeah, most people said that they'd have preferred a shorter contract, but that doesn't automatically make it a bad signing. If he had played the first couple of years the same way he played this year, I'm sure it wouldn't be viewed so poorly.

As for the goalies, Hakstols usage of them was a clear problem but I'm specifically talking about the players themselves and what was known at the time of the initial signings.

I was thinking about bringing Neuvirth back, specifically. Coming out of Buffalo Neuvirth was playing sharp and looking good. The extension made zero sense and indicated a complete lack of awareness of Neuvirth's durability and Hakstol's G usage tendencies and how those two might work together.

Weise is just another failure of Hextall to evaluate NHL talent.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I was thinking about bringing Neuvirth back, specifically. Coming out of Buffalo Neuvirth was playing sharp and looking good. The extension made zero sense and indicated a complete lack of awareness of Neuvirth's durability and Hakstol's G usage tendencies and how those two might work together.

Weise is just another failure of Hextall to evaluate NHL talent.
Like I said, I'm talking about their initial signings, which is what Madrigal mentioned. The first signing of Neuvirth, not the re-signing.

Weise was a failure of Weise to live up to his previous level of play (and I don't mean the goal scoring). He severely underachieved even his own modest ability here. That isn't something predictable for a GM.

All I'm saying is there's more than enough legit things to dislike Hextall for. These aren't them.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
As I said a few weeks ago, on Hockey Central they said they tried to trade Ennis and wanted to attach Nino to it, and there were no takers.

He is on pace for 41 points
Last year, paced for 42 points
2 years ago 57 points
3 years ago 43 points
4 years ago 37 points
5 years ag 36 points

It looks easy to see the outlier and at $5.25 million, getting low 40 in points is underwhelming especially if you have to give up something of value.

But for sure, is a deal for Rask, it's worth the risk....him and his 6 points this year....lol.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
As I said a few weeks ago, on Hockey Central they said they tried to trade Ennis and wanted to attach Nino to it, and there were no takers.

He is on pace for 41 points
Last year, paced for 42 points
2 years ago 57 points
3 years ago 43 points
4 years ago 37 points
5 years ag 36 points

It looks easy to see the outlier and at $5.25 million, getting low 40 in points is underwhelming especially if you have to give up something of value.

But for sure, is a deal for Rask, it's worth the risk....him and his 6 points this year....lol.
Carolina got great value for him but I wouldn't want that contract on the Flyers for the next three years. I think they need to set their sights higher.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
That is a god awful trade for the Wild. Fletch's successor has been very very unimpressive.

Carolina getting those analytics darlings. I see no real upside for Rask signed for $4 mil for another 3 years vs Nino at $5.25 x 3 years. Nino hasn't been his stellar self the last season and a half, but there's legit top 6 bounceback, and he hasn't been horrible either. Rask has been atrocious in that same period; like not playable awful. WTF Minnesota? Rask is like a cap dump without an asset attached.
Rask also can't skate, but while bashing Fenton let's not forget Fletcher traded scandella and pominville for foligno and ennis and that's about 5 million of cap tied up to whatever little value can foligno offer on the 4th line.

Also I'm pretty sure canes are going to unload ferland next.

Reactions: Tripod

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Does this open up a spot for Necas? Carolina gonna make the playoffs IMO.

I don't want Nino either, but I would like to see Fletcher rip off his old team like this.

Reactions: Tripod

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
I like Nino a lot, and really did want him here. His price is a little steep for his current production, but Minnesota's kind of a mediocre mess that hasn't really figured out how to score goals in the past few seasons. Nino's a big fella with a decent shot and good instincts, and he can skate pretty damn well.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Carolina got great value for him but I wouldn't want that contract on the Flyers for the next three years. I think they need to set their sights higher.
instead, we get to pay AMac and Weise over 7 million next year...lol.

Crazy that Nino is now the highest paid Canes forward. Nino could have been Simmonds replacement as the #3RW since he was so cheap to acquire. But as others said, we did not have that middle C guy for them. Mind you Laughton has 3x the amount of points as Rask this year at 1/4th the cost.

But yeah, hopefully we catch a bigger fish this summer.

Reactions: baudib1

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Rask also can't skate, but while bashing Fenton let's not forget Fletcher traded scandella and pominville for foligno and ennis and that's about 5 million of cap tied up to whatever little value can foligno offer on the 4th line.

Also I'm pretty sure canes are going to unload ferland next.
Hopefully the Canes feel they can make the playoffs and keep Ferland leaving more demand for Simmonds!

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I would have liked Nino but if they were going to the hockey trade route for a center there’s probably nothing we could have really offered. Rask isn’t good but his perception is probably that of a middle of the lineup guy even with this bad year in production. I don’t think Laughton is going to do it & that’s probably the closest discardable piece that resembles it.

But hats off to Carolina. They found a sucker.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Like I said, I'm talking about their initial signings, which is what Madrigal mentioned. The first signing of Neuvirth, not the re-signing.

Weise was a failure of Weise to live up to his previous level of play (and I don't mean the goal scoring). He severely underachieved even his own modest ability here. That isn't something predictable for a GM.

All I'm saying is there's more than enough legit things to dislike Hextall for. These aren't them.

Weise was a very questionable signing strictly because of the term offered. He had 5 full seasons in the NHL between 4 different teams, and only had about 1 to 1.5 seasons of play where he showed any level of sustainable NHL caliber play. His play was not good enough to deserve a 4 year contract. A better deal would have been a 2 year deal at the same cap hit. It's not a crippling move, but it's not a good one, and was even questioned at the time of the signing.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Weise was a very questionable signing strictly because of the term offered. He had 5 full seasons in the NHL between 4 different teams, and only had about 1 to 1.5 seasons of play where he showed any level of sustainable NHL caliber play. His play was not good enough to deserve a 4 year contract. A better deal would have been a 2 year deal at the same cap hit. It's not a crippling move, but it's not a good one, and was even questioned at the time of the signing.
It was questioned but the general consensus seemed to be "a little too long, but he'll help the team".

Out bottom 6 was an absolute disaster back then and if he had played as expected he would've been helpful.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Weise was just a clear downgrade from Sam Gagner, who signed a 1-year, $1M contract with CBJ that offseason.

It all came down to Hextall having an archaic view of what a "bottom 6 player" should be. Weise fits that old school idea of thinking. The "mucker and grinder that plays a heavy game." Meanwhile, the league is going away from that and bottom 6s are starting to be more infused with youth and skill.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

I wanted Marchessault that offseason. Never forget, Vladdy. Signed for 2 years x $750k compared to Weise at 4 years x $2.35 mil.

As you remember, the narrative was we needed to get "heavy" after that Caps series. And any pro scout who knows anything knows Weise is a real hard working heavy player. Perhaps you also remember that Hextall said he signed Weise to be a 3rd line winger and PP2 player, and that he had growth potential and upside. God, that man had no ingenuity or vision in free agency, along with NHL moves in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad