Miscellaneous NHL Talk V10.0 - 2018/19 Regular Season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
I wanted Marchessault that offseason. Never forget, Vladdy. Signed for 2 years x $750k compared to Weise at 4 years x $2.35 mil.

As you remember, the narrative was we needed to get "heavy" after that Caps series. And any pro scout who knows anything knows Weise is a real hard working heavy player. Perhaps you also remember that Hextall said he signed Weise to be a 3rd line winger and PP2 player, and that he had growth potential and upside. God, that man had no ingenuity or vision in free agency and other NHL moves.
He lied through his teeth, nothing he said can be taken at face value.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I wanted Marchessault that offseason. Never forget, Vladdy. Signed for 2 years x $750k compared to Weise at 4 years x $2.35 mil.

As you remember, the narrative was we needed to get "heavy" after that Caps series. And any pro scout who knows anything knows Weise is a real hard working heavy player. Perhaps you also remember that Hextall said he signed Weise to be a 3rd line winger and PP2 player, and that he had growth potential and upside. God, that man had no ingenuity or vision in free agency, along with NHL moves in general.

That was also the offseason it was decided to send Laughton to the minors to properly disabuse him of any notions of being a skill player. Losing Gagner and Laughton made the team noticeably slower.

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011

Even if there is a shred of truth to this you don’t trade Benn, he can cover up a shit ton of warts on a team, Benn woupd be perfect in Philly but what Dallas would want for him would be ridiculous

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It all came down to Hextall having an archaic view of what a "bottom 6 player" should be. Weise fits that old school idea of thinking. The "mucker and grinder that plays a heavy game." Meanwhile, the league is going away from that and bottom 6s are starting to be more infused with youth and skill.

Really? Did Trotz get that memo?

What teams are going away from are slow, physical guys at both forward and defense. You don't have to be fast, but you can't be well below average as a skater anymore.

If you look at talent as a truncated tail of a distribution, the league has moved down the tail to the point where anyone with less than what used to be average speed is being eliminated, but most NHL players still have what was average or slightly better speed, fast guys are still few in number, and really fast guys are still scarce. Which is why Strome will probably never make it to the NHL.

Weise isn't slow, he just thought he was a top 9 guy and didn't play like a mucker for two years, but lacked the skill to be anything more.
This year the light went on and he realized he's being paid to forecheck and hit people and go into corners.
Whereas Raffl has always known where his NHL bread was buttered.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It all came down to Hextall having an archaic view of what a "bottom 6 player" should be. Weise fits that old school idea of thinking. The "mucker and grinder that plays a heavy game." Meanwhile, the league is going away from that and bottom 6s are starting to be more infused with youth and skill.
I wouldn't say that. Weise really isn't that type of "heavy" player.

I think he was seen as a more Raffl-like player who could play in the bottom 6 and move around in an emergency. In the two years before we signed him, Weise had 29 and 26 points, which is similar to Raffls production . Also similar in the way that they're bottom 6 players who had been moved up to play with skilled guys out of necessity and kinda did the dirty work on the line, while producing a little bit.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Really? Did Trotz get that memo?

What teams are going away from are slow, physical guys at both forward and defense. You don't have to be fast, but you can't be well below average as a skater anymore.

If you look at talent as a truncated tail of a distribution, the league has moved down the tail to the point where anyone with less than what used to be average speed is being eliminated, but most NHL players still have what was average or slightly better speed, fast guys are still few in number, and really fast guys are still scarce. Which is why Strome will probably never make it to the NHL.

Weise isn't slow, he just thought he was a top 9 guy and didn't play like a mucker for two years, but lacked the skill to be anything more.
This year the light went on and he realized he's being paid to forecheck and hit people and go into corners.
Whereas Raffl has always known where his NHL bread was buttered.

Is Trotz also a GM? What players do you think he has available? He moved on from heavy, slow, physical guys whenever he had the opportunity to do so in Washington. But most of all he focuses on using players where they fit and in appropriate situations.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
Is Trotz also a GM? What players do you think he has available? He moved on from heavy, slow, physical guys whenever he had the opportunity to do so in Washington. But most of all he focuses on using players where they fit and in appropriate situations.

what was also fantastic is that the islanders didnt have to make a major moves accept losing jt, sign a goalie and trotz and this team is playing fantastic. i would rather see fletch just address the goaltending in free agency and get joel q and let the younger players play on this roster, i mean anything can happen.

im going to turn a corner and say, i dont want any major moves made, if fletch moves some of the vets out for younger players or draft picks, im all for it.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe

GleefulThirstyDove-size_restricted.gif

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

As you remember, the narrative was we needed to get "heavy" after that Caps series. And any pro scout who knows anything knows Weise is a real hard working heavy player. Perhaps you also remember that Hextall said he signed Weise to be a 3rd line winger and PP2 player, and that he had growth potential and upside. God, that man had no ingenuity or vision in free agency, along with NHL moves in general.

This phrase made my eye twitch.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I wouldn't say that. Weise really isn't that type of "heavy" player.

I think he was seen as a more Raffl-like player who could play in the bottom 6 and move around in an emergency. In the two years before we signed him, Weise had 29 and 26 points, which is similar to Raffls production . Also similar in the way that they're bottom 6 players who had been moved up to play with skilled guys out of necessity and kinda did the dirty work on the line, while producing a little bit.

Thats exactly the reputation Weise had after raising hell against Boston while with Montreal. Thats exactly why Hextall signed him.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad