Miscellaneous NHL Discussion XCV: Second Round

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who will be the 2023 Cup Champ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The Leafs lost the series and others years ago when they signed Tavares to a contract that they really couldn’t afford. It threw their roster into cap hell with other forwards then demanding crazy money leaving little cash left over for better players across the lineup. They lack the depth necessary to win tough series. At least they know that they did it to themselves.

Tavares is really good but he absolutely isn't 2 mil away from being McDavid.

Reactions: renberg and BiggE

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Looking at the teams left and I can’t help but notice that they’re not all old “storied” franchises with large pockets and egos.

They’re smaller market teams and new teams who need to be smart instead of stubborn and wasteful.

What a weird coincidence.

Last edited:

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Tavares is really good but he absolutely isn't 2 mil away from being McDavid.

In fairness, McDacid is worth, I believe, about 6Mm more than his cap hit ( I believe @JojoTheWhale has something hes linked prior) in terms of pure on ice impact compared to his peers. It's just the cap limit ( and McDavid raking a few hundred K less than "max" ) preventing him from getting there. McDavid is is easily a 15-20MM AAV player in terms of on and off ice impact if there isn't a limit on contracts.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
old “storied” franchises
1683958892583.jpeg

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
It's funny because, after the Leafs beat Tampa, their fanbase immediately believed that meant they were winning the Cup. Their big stars, especially Matthews, MIA when it mattered.

I still believe that signing Tavares was their downfall. With their roster, adding a $11m player f***ed their depth.

Wonder what moves they'll make. If they fire Dubas, it would have been a good idea to hire him here in some capacity. I think I would have preferred him as GM and Briere as PoHO

Reactions: Amorgus and renberg

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)

I love how the synopsis of page 29 goes: “I was right about him who he is and the Flyers don’t have any use for him. The Flyers gave up significant assets to get rid of and replace him but that doesn’t matter, already happened. We don’t need him because his expensive replacements are more talented, talented doesn’t mean better but unfortunately talented and brain dead. So that is why we don’t need Gostisbehere”

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
I love how the synopsis of page 29 goes: “I was right about him who he is and the Flyers don’t have any use for him. The Flyers gave up significant assets to get rid of and replace him but that doesn’t matter, already happened. We don’t need him because his expensive replacements are more talented, talented doesn’t mean better but unfortunately talented and brain dead. So that is why we don’t need Gostisbehere”

There really isn't any point in engaging with him. He's so intellectually dishonest that a reasonable discussion simply can't be had.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The Leafs lost the series and others years ago when they signed Tavares to a contract that they really couldn’t afford. It threw their roster into cap hell with other forwards then demanding crazy money leaving little cash left over for better players across the lineup. They lack the depth necessary to win tough series. At least they know that they did it to themselves.
That’s not really true, they have constantly added to their depth at the trade deadlines over the years, often giving up high draft picks to do it. They’ve had to be more frugal in other areas, but they’ve also gotten guys to go there for less.

Reactions: kudymen

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Dubas has tried everything at this point except changing the core. He's brought in veteran depth players, he's added grit to the lineup, he's changed goalies, but the core stayed the same.

If he gets another chance, which he shouldn't, firing the coach and trading core players is all he can do at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad