Miscellaneous NHL Discussion XCIII: Spring has Sprung

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Which Team's Post-Season Bandwagon are You Joining? (79+ points listed as of March 29)

• Boston

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Carolina

Votes: 13 31.7%
  • New Jersey

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • Vegas

• NY Rangers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Toronto

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Los Angeles

• Minnesota

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • Edmonton

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • Colorado

• Dallas

• Tampa Bay

• Seattle

• NY Islanders

• Winnipeg

• Calgary

• Nashville

• Pittsburgh

• Florida

• None, the Flyers aren't in it

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • A team not listed should they make the post-season

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
I wouldn’t even say there’s an outside chance they catch Arizona. They are in free fall mode, have lost their last 8 and have been blown out their last 2 with one being against the lowly sharks. I’d be surprised if they win a single game the rest of the year let alone the minimum 3 of their last 4 needed to pass the flyers with the flyers losing out. We are pretty much locked in at 7 imo.
yea!!!! just outside the top 5 basement then the lotto ball gunna move us to 11-14 OA pick..

#maximumpain

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
? i thought it was possible to be moved 10 spots.

Up, not back. They only drop if a team behind them in the lottery order moves up. Since the lottery is only for the top 2 picks, only two teams can move up. Meaning the team in the 7 slot can't pick any later than 9th. But since teams can't move up more than 10 places, if the teams that "won" the lottery were somehow the 13th and 14th teams, they'd pick 3rd and 4th while the top 2 would stay with the two last-place teams in the league.

A little confusing to explain but here it is visually:

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I look at the standings, then I look at this roster, and then see the authentic fans and beat writers screaming “It doesn’t matter if they win or lose, it’ll only change their lottery odds by like 2%!!!” and it makes me wonder if these people even understand how the draft works… or have a brain at all.

The lottery is not the only thing that matters.

Forget the lottery. The difference between picking 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, or 9th is absolutely massive. Every single spot could be the difference between a franchise changing star and just a good player, and that applies even later in the draft. Imagine we drop back one more spot in 2006 and Giroux is taken one pick before us. Apply that to any star player on any team. And we need high end talent more than anyone, so this matters a whole lot.

This is not a difficult concept.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
Up, not back. They only drop if a team behind them in the lottery order moves up. Since the lottery is only for the top 2 picks, only two teams can move up. Meaning the team in the 7 slot can't pick any later than 9th. But since teams can't move up more than 10 places, if the teams that "won" the lottery were somehow the 13th and 14th teams, they'd pick 3rd and 4th while the top 2 would stay with the two last-place teams in the league.

A little confusing to explain but here it is visually:

wait... only 2 teams move ? weird i woulda swore more balls got picked then that..

guess i dont follow the lotto that close! hahaaa

Rich Nixon

Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
wait... only 2 teams move ? weird i woulda swore more balls got picked then that..

guess i dont follow the lotto that close! hahaaa

There are a lot of balls drawn, it goes by a multi-round drawing process that I don't fully understand, but when the dust settles only 2 teams "win." Everyone else just moves back if one or both of the teams that "win" are behind them in the draft order.

Reactions: Flyerfan4life

Rich Nixon

Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
I look at the standings, then I look at this roster, and then see the authentic fans and beat writers screaming “It doesn’t matter if they win or lose, it’ll only change their lottery odds by like 2%!!!” and it makes me wonder if these people even understand how the draft works… or have a brain at all.

The lottery is not the only thing that matters.

Forget the lottery. The difference between picking 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, or 9th is absolutely massive. Every single spot could be the difference between a franchise changing star and just a good player, and that applies even later in the draft. Imagine we drop back one more spot in 2006 and Giroux is taken one pick before us. Apply that to any star player on any team. And we need high end talent more than anyone, so this matters a whole lot.

This is not a difficult concept.

Which is why getting to that 5 slot was so ideal. Improved lottery odds + keeps them in range for a lot of the hot talent that starts to taper as you get closer to 10. But they done goofed and got stuck exactly where most of us knew they would.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Which is why getting to that 5 slot was so ideal. Improved lottery odds + keeps them in range for a lot of the hot talent that starts to taper as you get closer to 10. But they done goofed and got stuck exactly where most of us knew they would.
Funniest part is dumb f*** Torts is getting credit for all this winning, when in reality he’s done f***-all to help the team.

It’s those H*xtall draft picks who are carrying this team, in spite of this idiot coach.

Reactions: Amorgus

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Just to take the focus off of the lottery for a moment. There are several PO bound teams that are saying that they are willing to move first round picks for established players. The top twelve or so prospects in the draft have value. The end of the round is available. Briere might be able to get a shot there.

Reactions: TCTC

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Just to take the focus off of the lottery for a moment. There are several PO bound teams that are saying that they are willing to move first round picks for established players. The top twelve or so prospects in the draft have value. The end of the round is available. Briere might be able to get a shot there.

But will the genius that is Ian Anderson again illustrate his tenacity.

"We found our guys are worth more to us, than a late round pick"

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
I loved 90's Sportscenter. Haven't really watched anything on ESPN since then other than actual games. Coming home after school and watching ESPN back then, you never knew what you'd get. Could be monster trucks, no name wrastlin leagues, roller derby, motocross, anything. I'd still take roller derby over the "reality TV" that's it is now. Beef is right
Australian Rules Football. Fox sports has it on now. One of the best things espn had on.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Every year there are players picked outside of the top 5 that are better than players inside of the top 5. I'm not worried about there being an excellent prospect available at 7-9.

I'm just confident that the Flyers won't be able to identify that prospect and draft him lol

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Every year there are players picked outside of the top 5 that are better than players inside of the top 5. I'm not worried about there being an excellent prospect available at 7-9.

I'm just confident that the Flyers won't be able to identify that prospect and draft him lol

Bobby Clarke will be able to identify him five years later though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad