Miscellaneous NHL Discussion XCII: A buyer's or seller's market?

The trade deadline will be...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
What would have happened if Apple or Amazon was poorly managed? That’s not a good argument. You just need good management. That should be the top of the queue give two failures already.

Florida has their own well know location problem, similar to ARZ and Thrashers. You need to be smart and not lazy with the stadium location. Alpharetta is a no brainer, low hanging fruit solution I thought of as soon as I moved here.

I think Seattle and Vegas have sold out all
Of their games. They are good. The new expansion rules allow for a good young team early on with high picks on top. It’s costs them a lot more cash, but the model is tried and true at this point.

As far as people worried about being bigger than the top 4 sports. The NHL has a lot more teams than the NBA and MLB in Canada. NFL has 0.
Florida doesn’t really have a Stadium problem. It’s not going to be better in Ft. Lauderdale or Miami. Florida has a demographics problem. Most of the people who grew up with hockey, or their parents grew up with hockey no longer live in South Florida. They did in the 90’s but the place is a 180 from that time. Hockey just isn’t popular enough at other levels. I lived there my whole life until 2017 and the place was not the same as it was in the 90’s. There were even less snow birds that came down in the winter months to go to the games.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Florida doesn’t really have a Stadium problem. It’s not going to be better in Ft. Lauderdale or Miami. Florida has a demographics problem. Most of the people who grew up with hockey, or their parents grew up with hockey no longer live in South Florida. They did in the 90’s but the place is a 180 from that time. Hockey just isn’t popular enough at other levels. I lived there my whole life until 2017 and the place was not the same as it was in the 90’s. There were even less snow birds that came down in the winter months to go to the games.

Most articles I have read in the past cited the location as an issue. This one says it’s too far from Miami. An Alpharetta location would draw from large pools like Roswell, Gwenett, East Cobb, cumming, let alone Alpharetta and Atl itself. The location would literally be perfect.

I found several articles saying their attendance and viewership have gone up and the highest since the lockout. You need a good team and a good location.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I can't wait to hear the reasoning why him playing well on a good team doesn't count

I just can't give over the fact that Charles in Charge essentially paid a

2nd in 2023,
2nd in 2024,
3rd in 2023,
4th in 2023,
and
7th in 2022

to downgrade on and off the ice from Ghost to DeAngelo :laugh:

And he's not worried about his job still!

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania

Most articles I have read in the past cited the location as an issue. This one says it’s too far from Miami. An Alpharetta location would draw from large pools like Roswell, Gwenett, East Cobb, cumming, let alone Alpharetta and Atl itself. The location would literally be perfect.

I found several articles saying their attendance and viewership have gone up and the highest since the lockout. You need a good team and a good location.
They can say whatever they want but it doesn’t matter where you put the team if there aren’t hockey fans no one is going to go once the novelty wears off if they aren’t good.

I don’t know what hockey fans they think they are getting in Miami, but that place is basically a few rich people surrounded by immigrants from the Caribbean and central and South America. They can’t really get people to go to baseball games so I highly doubt they are going to get a ton of people into hockey unless of course they are instant winners. But then does that run out once they aren’t good like it did before.

With all that said, the last thing this league needs is more teams. The talent pool is watered down enough as it is. I know you want a team near you so you can go to games but with another 40+ positions to fill it’s only going to water down the product even more.

Reactions: renberg

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

2nd in 2023,
2nd in 2024,
3rd in 2023,
4th in 2023,
and
7th in 2022

Not only is he shockingly still employed, he's not even worried. Laughing. Joking it up.

Piece of shit.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
They can say whatever they want but it doesn’t matter where you put the team if there aren’t hockey fans no one is going to go once the novelty wears off if they aren’t good.

I don’t know what hockey fans they think they are getting in Miami, but that place is basically a few rich people surrounded by immigrants from the Caribbean and central and South America. They can’t really get people to go to baseball games so I highly doubt they are going to get a ton of people into hockey unless of course they are instant winners. But then does that run out once they aren’t good like it did before.

With all that said, the last thing this league needs is more teams. The talent pool is watered down enough as it is. I know you want a team near you so you can go to games but with another 40+ positions to fill it’s only going to water down the product even more.
Yea you need fans. But you can make them pretty quickly with a few runs at the right time. Many of became fans pretty quickly. I did during the Lindros era. There were what 7 people that showed up to the flyers opening parade and millions to the Stanley cup parade a few years later. I think location is pretty massive in anything really. Realestate, businesses, anything.

I don’t see the league as in danger of being watered down. Most if not all teams minus the flyers have a superstar or two. The ones that don’t could get one this draft. Boston just set a record for best team ever basically at this point in the season.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013

2nd in 2023,
2nd in 2024,
3rd in 2023,
4th in 2023,
and
7th in 2022

I think he's resigned to the fact that his time is over. He's basically done everything a GM in a win-now situation could do. He's traded players, he's traded draft picks, he switched coaches. And not only are we not winning, we're not even near the playoffs.
To me he looks defeated because he knows he screwed up. And after all the assets he's wasted over the years, he sure as hell shouldn't be the guy to start a rebuild.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)

2nd in 2023,
2nd in 2024,
3rd in 2023,
4th in 2023,
and
7th in 2022

YES BUT HE ONLY RETURNED A 3RD IN 2026 AND ALSO THAT PENS SERIES

(I know it has nothing to do with the point of bad asset management. But I also know that that guy would somehow still react this way :laugh: )

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
The Canucks are wearing those beauty 90’s blouses tonight. @Captain Dave Poulin @Hollywood Cannon

Hot sex on a platter.

bure02.jpg

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
The Canucks are wearing those beauty 90’s blouses tonight. @Captain Dave Poulin @Hollywood Cannon
My beer league team has been rocking a red (dark primary)/black/white (light primary) jersey set for about 10 years and we finally decided to switch it up.

We just ordered this Canucks set with our team name in place of the "Canucks" in the skate. The mock up looked incredible. I think we get the blouses in mid-April. Can't wait.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Russian goalie shenanigans not exclusively in the AHL.

Officer Bobrovsky goes after Zucker after Zucker lays him out. Shit move by Zucker.

In other news, in his 780th NHL game, Travis Hamonic has scored 4% of his career total goals. :laugh:

And Chychrun just scored his first as a Sen.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
After years of hearing about how his play doesn't count for various reasons, I look forward to seeing how that continues now.

From "it doesn't count because he's on a bad team" to "it doesn't count because he's on a good team"
Before he was just stat padding on a bad team. What if he scores on a contender? I'm sure there will be a new reason it doesn't count.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad