Miscellaneous NHL Discussion XCII: A buyer's or seller's market?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The trade deadline will be...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Stupidity. They're a niche sport, and always will be.

Smart strategy would be to strengthen that niche, make sure your existing franchises are on solid ground, and improve the product.

If you want to move into new markets, move out of your weakest existing markets.

Step 1 would be more revenue sharing. That's what stabilized the NFL.

Shrike

Dec 5, 2019
THATS MY BOY

All that skating and stick handling is going to get him in trouble. The Flyer’s tried to coach it out of him, they tried limiting his ice time, heck they even healthy scratched him for long periods. Nothing worked, he kept on with the whole puck possession thing like it was sound hockey strategy.
Crazy right! …. Right?

Shrike

Dec 5, 2019
Stupidity. They're a niche sport, and always will be.

Smart strategy would be to strengthen that niche, make sure your existing franchises are on solid ground, and improve the product.

If you want to move into new markets, move out of your weakest existing markets.
Yep. Move Arizona to Quebec, Florida to the GTA market and either Anaheim or San Jose to Milwaukee. Smack anyone who brings up expansion and tell them their greed is destroying the product. Fire Bettman.

Reactions: GapToothedWonder

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Vegas and Seattle have been allowed to succeed, that’s why it’s worked and places like Atlanta didn’t. Arizona is not the same obviously, but one thing Gary told the owners is unlike previous rounds of expansion, you have to give them a chance early.

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
So the NHL as the most niche team sport in North America thinks it’s a good idea to have 2 more teams than the NFL, 4 more than MLB, 4 more than NBA, and 5 more than the MLS which will likely overtake it in popularity soon if it hasn’t already?

Doesn’t seem like smartest move for long term.

Reactions: GapToothedWonder

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Vegas and Seattle have been allowed to succeed, that’s why it’s worked and places like Atlanta didn’t. Arizona is not the same obviously, but one thing Gary told the owners is unlike previous rounds of expansion, you have to give them a chance early.

If the NHL had a lick of sense they would try to move the Coyotes to Portland Oregon.

Say whatever you want about Portland but that's a great city. The beer/coffee culture is most excellent. Love it. Plus you'd have a good PNW rivalry and the travel to Seattle/Vancouver for those guys would be easy.

Hot weather climates for hockey is just dumb. Most kids in those climates don't grow up playing hockey and hockey is a hard sport to follow if you've never played an ounce of it. (Street/Ice)

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If the NHL had a lick of sense they would try to move the Coyotes to Portland Oregon.

Say whatever you want about Portland but that's a great city. The beer/coffee culture is most excellent. Love it. Plus you'd have a good PNW rivalry and the travel to Seattle/Vancouver for those guys would be easy.

Hot weather climates for hockey is just dumb. Most kids in those climates don't grow up playing hockey and hockey is a hard sport to follow if you've never played an ounce of it. (Street/Ice)
I don’t think their building can do hockey. I know it has, but the Winterhawks just moved out and the Rose Garden is old now, it probably can’t handle being a NHL-standard facility. The first issue is getting a building. Then the owner. Sometimes it’s both at once, but you won’t get an owner without a path to a building.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Wild night for goalie prospects in the AHL.

Not a fan of pulling the goalie that early while on a power play. I'm not sure what the percentages indicate, but it sure seems like you're just begging for someone to lob the puck all the way down into your own net, goalie or otherwise.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Buccigross tweeted that Atlanta and Houston will get teams in the next round of expansion. :amazed: Wat.

I just saw this and I’m SO pumped after yesterday. I just moved to ATL, about 20 min from Alpharetta where this is rumored to be. The flyers will always be my team, but I’ll be all in STH for sure.

when will Philly get a real NHL expansion ???

#sell the franchise

That would be magical to me.

Click on it and watch the video

I’ll take that club. They have a lot of good picks and many more coming.

So the NHL as the most niche team sport in North America thinks it’s a good idea to have 2 more teams than the NFL, 4 more than MLB, 4 more than NBA, and 5 more than the MLS which will likely overtake it in popularity soon if it hasn’t already?

Doesn’t seem like smartest move for long term.

Incorrect. The new teams are killing it in Seattle and Vegas. Sold out every game in both of their existences. The key is the talent coming in. Since it’s a high volume it supports new teams via expansion where you have to lose good players around the established teams.

Thrasher management was a known issue I’ve since leaned being down here. They did nothing right.

Probably at least 5 years for an expansion team but could be much sooner if it’s the coyotes.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I’ll also add that this new spot would KILL it. A lot of money and could highways in around. Not down town like Phillips which is hard to get to in atl and you’d have lot more of the right market in Alpharetta. Just found out The Weekend and Missy Elliot are close by to us and this spot for example to give context.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Hockey will fail again if it is put into Atlanta. It's SEC country for all sports. 24X7X365.
Hockey in the South is a bust. It's failed twice in Atlanta; bombed as badly as possible in Phoenix; Miami is a joke as well. TB has had some success but only recently when the Lightning became good. When they cycle down in a couple of years, that place will be a tomb again. Only a dumb ass like Bettman wouldn't realize that.

Reactions: Schwarbomb

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
I just saw this and I’m SO pumped after yesterday. I just moved to ATL, about 20 min from Alpharetta where this is rumored to be. The flyers will always be my team, but I’ll be all in STH for sure.

That would be magical to me.

I’ll take that club. They have a lot of good picks and many more coming.

Incorrect. The new teams are killing it in Seattle and Vegas. Sold out every game in both of their existences. The key is the talent coming in. Since it’s a high volume it supports new teams via expansion where you have to lose good players around the established teams.

Thrasher management was a known issue I’ve since leaned being down here. They did nothing right.

Probably at least 5 years for an expansion team but could be much sooner if it’s the coyotes.
And what happens if their management is crap like Fletcher? It would for sure be another failed Atlanta franchise. And we have yet to see if Seattle and Vegas can sustain if/when they become a bottom feeder which they eventually will as it happens to basically every teams

Vegas will likely be better off than seattle with a bad team since there are constantly people there from out of town who will go to watch other teams but we have no idea how Seattle will do when they are bad and the novelty wore off. Just look at Florida. Success in their first few years and established the fan base and lost it all rather quickly.

Edit: Not to mention it just adds way more spots around the league for us to have to watch more guys like Thompson, Brown, and MacEwen.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
And what happens if their management is crap like Fletcher? It would for sure be another failed Atlanta franchise. And we have yet to see if Seattle and Vegas can sustain if/when they become a bottom feeder which they eventually will as it happens to basically every teams

Vegas will likely be better off than seattle with a bad team since there are constantly people there from out of town who will go to watch other teams but we have no idea how Seattle will do when they are bad and the novelty wore off. Just look at Florida. Success in their first few years and established the fan base and lost it all rather quickly.
What would have happened if Apple or Amazon was poorly managed? That’s not a good argument. You just need good management. That should be the top of the queue give two failures already.

Florida has their own well know location problem, similar to ARZ and Thrashers. You need to be smart and not lazy with the stadium location. Alpharetta is a no brainer, low hanging fruit solution I thought of as soon as I moved here.

I think Seattle and Vegas have sold out all
Of their games. They are good. The new expansion rules allow for a good young team early on with high picks on top. It’s costs them a lot more cash, but the model is tried and true at this point.

As far as people worried about being bigger than the top 4 sports. The NHL has a lot more teams than the NBA and MLB in Canada. NFL has 0.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad