Miscellaneous NHL Discussion XCI: Bring Your Own Mustard

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
This one might be of interest to you @Captain Dave Poulin .
20230224_155940.jpg

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
I think it is perfectly possible and acceptable to both trash him for that massive draft botch, and praise him for the recovery.

Just about any team that whiffs that disastrously would be playing the what-if game now looking back at it. With a new GM. Instead of being where Boston is now. It's bizarre and it entertains me.

I just think a lot of people crap on the GM while ignoring the whole context of the situation. I've never been an NHL GM but I'm sure they are spending far more time analyzing the NHL and AHL (even if that) landscape.

He also made trades for those picks. They didn't work out at all and they are terrible picks in hindsight but you're missing all the context on why those picks were made. It's totally possible a lot of the scouts and their analytics department were saying "These are the guys you want"... who knows.

It is easy to look at everything in vacuum. He's willing to move players for value, not sure I can say Fletcher knows anything about that.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Even beyond that draft things you expect a GM to have a better grasp on Sweeney definitely made some puzzling decisions early on in his tenure that trended on the archaic side of operating. The Rinaldo trade, the Backes signing, etc. off the top of my head. But since then in recent years he’s added Hall, Lindholm, now Orlov, etc.

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Even beyond that draft things you expect a GM to have a better grasp on Sweeney definitely made some puzzling decisions early on in his tenure that trended on the archaic side of operating. The Rinaldo trade, the Backes signing, etc. off the top of my head. But since then in recent years he’s added Hall, Lindholm, now Orlov, etc.
He got Hall for Bjork and a 2nd because Hall had a NTC and said "I'll only agree to a trade to Boston".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad