Miscellaneous NHL Discussion XCI: Bring Your Own Mustard

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013

Now do flyers lol

People can correct me if I'm wrong but it wasn't long ago that people called Don Sweeney an idiot.

Even though Boston hasn't won a cup in a while they've always been in quasi contention. I haven't believed that this team could win a series since like 2012/2013. Maybe during the season Gostisbehere broke out.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto

27. Philadelphia Flyers (23-26-10) — If you want some idea why the Flyers are where they are, consider the fact there’s not really an obvious ‘W’ on Chuck Fletcher’s trade resumé since taking the reins in 2018. Owen Tippett looks like he could make last year’s deadline trade of captain Claude Giroux to Florida a decent one.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Craig Berube is surely spot-on in his scathing assessment of St. Louis’ supposed best players.

Gotta assume he’s on the way out to say it.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne

Sort of embarrassing that their fans reached this point faster than ours and are already more vocal about it than we ever were.

I wonder if you could rally enough support to just bring people out for one game and brutally vocalize similar sentiments. You really only need 200 or so voices to cut through and establish a chant. I'd break my rule against attending to make that statement, just chant from puck drop til final buzzer. Make a scene.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Sort of embarrassing that their fans reached this point faster than ours and are already more vocal about it than we ever were.

I wonder if you could rally enough support to just bring people out for one game and brutally vocalize similar sentiments. You really only need 200 or so voices to cut through and establish a chant. I'd break my rule against attending to make that statement, just chant from puck drop til final buzzer. Make a scene.

Don’t think it would mean much. Comcast has found a way to make some money with this team. Doubling down on the bullies crowd, and flash to attract some young folk.

There was a time that ownership wasn’t thought of as an issue with the Flyers, that having a company willing to pump unlimited amounts of money into this was a good thing.

Ownership is issue number 1 as far as I am concerned. Zero oversight or competence in who Comcast has chosen to babysit the Flyers.

Rich Nixon

Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Don’t think it would mean much. Comcast has found a way to make some money with this team. Doubling down on the bullies crowd, and flash to attract some young folk.

I don't believe that for a second, considering they just threw a multi-million dollar Hail Mary to try to retain however many season ticket holders, and then allegedly brought in a new CEO for Spectacor to look into their other business ventures and try to navigate the future of the Sixers' arena situation. They're losing STHs, likely not moving much merch, they haven't gotten consistent playoff game revenuenin a decade...on the macro level, the RSN situation is in a death spiral and the league squeezed everyone post-COVID. Little doubt in my mind, too, that the same decades-old tradition of overpaying mediocre on-ice talent extends off the ice, too: Probably some unnecessarily fat salaries in that bureaucratic bloat.

It's tea-leaf reading, but I'd guess this organization isn't nearly as financially comfortable as it should be, and they can't ignore the cliff the entire franchise will go off if the Sixers build their own house. We're talking about hundreds of millions worth of franchise value erased once there's a newer, nicer event venue and no more NBA rent checks. That would be uncomfortable no matter what, but if the hockey operation doesn't return to respectability and profitability, it actually could be a real nightmare for ownership.

I don't think Torts and Owen Tippett have been enough to offset these realities at all.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
I don't believe that for a second, considering they just threw a multi-million dollar Hail Mary to try to retain however many season ticket holders, and then allegedly brought in a new CEO for Spectacor to look into their other business ventures and try to navigate the future of the Sixers' arena situation. They're losing STHs, likely not moving much merch, they haven't gotten consistent playoff game revenuenin a decade...on the macro level, the RSN situation is in a death spiral and the league squeezed everyone post-COVID. Little doubt in my mind, too, that the same decades-old tradition of overpaying mediocre on-ice talent extends off the ice, too: Probably some unnecessarily fat salaries in that bureaucratic bloat.

It's tea-leaf reading, but I'd guess this organization isn't nearly as financially comfortable as it should be, and they can't ignore the cliff the entire franchise will go off if the Sixers build their own house. We're talking about hundreds of millions worth of franchise value erased once there's a newer, nicer event venue and no more NBA rent checks. That would be uncomfortable no matter what, but if the hockey operation doesn't return to respectability and profitability, it actually could be a real nightmare for ownership.

I guess what I’m getting at, is I don’t see any sort of competence from that ownership, or a real quality standard.

They seem very content to cater to a certain loyal portion of the fanbase in nearly every way. There are ownership groups in this league that would have demanded change a long time ago - but Comcast seems incredibly willing to let this thing stagnate.

I would be curious how much money they have “lost”. I fail to see any concrete actions to upgrade the product, aside from distraction tactics so to speak.

Reactions: Chicken N Raffls

Rich Nixon

Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
I guess what I’m getting at, is I don’t see any sort of competence from that ownership, or a real quality standard.

They seem very content to cater to a certain loyal portion of the fanbase in nearly every way. There are ownership groups in this league that would have demanded change a long time ago - but Comcast seems incredibly willing to let this thing stagnate.

I would be curious how much money they have “lost”. I fail to see any concrete actions to upgrade the product, aside from distraction tactics so to speak.

Agreed on all this (well, except "no concrete actions to upgrade"...they traded for Tony D, man!)

Just was disputing the idea that their weak overtures to gorilla fans were actually making any money. I think they certainly understand that they are in or are quickly approaching a business quandary, and they have no idea how to fix it. Which is...baffling.

Audible Velvet

Jul 9, 2015
Philthadelphia

Count me in

Reactions: Chicken N Raffls

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
People can correct me if I'm wrong but it wasn't long ago that people called Don Sweeney an idiot.

Even though Boston hasn't won a cup in a while they've always been in quasi contention. I haven't believed that this team could win a series since like 2012/2013. Maybe during the season Gostisbehere broke out.

In fairness, i had a lot of faith that the Flyers could make a real run in 2020, until the playoffs actually hit and AV went full dogshit brand hockey.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly

I'm actually mostly disappointed that they didn't just bring back the "HEEEEEXXXXX-TAAAAALLLLL!" chant.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

He was called an idiot because he kicked off his GMing career with a historic fumbling of an easy draft.

That team could have Barzal and TK right now. And this isn't hindsight at all, everyone watching could see they had an incredible opportunity and they blew it.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
He was called an idiot because he kicked off his GMing career with a historic fumbling of an easy draft.

That team could have Barzal and TK right now. And this isn't hindsight at all, everyone watching could see they had an incredible opportunity and they blew it.

I'm just pointing out that people are now praising him while at the same time trashing him years ago.

I'd argue that the NHL talent trades are more on the GM than the guys coming out of juniors. I'd bet there's a lot of people giving the GM opinions on said players. We know one thing for certain. The Flyers don't listen to their analytics department.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I'm just pointing out that people are now praising him while at the same time trashing him years ago.

I'd argue that the NHL talent trades are more on the GM than the guys coming out of juniors. I'd bet there's a lot of people giving the GM opinions on said players. We know one thing for certain. The Flyers don't listen to their analytics department.

I think it is perfectly possible and acceptable to both trash him for that massive draft botch, and praise him for the recovery.

Just about any team that whiffs that disastrously would be playing the what-if game now looking back at it. With a new GM. Instead of being where Boston is now. It's bizarre and it entertains me.

Reactions: FLYERSFAN18

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
That type of stuff is awful, especially for like you say a young guy.
Yeah, I always hated how some posters here would mock Nate Thompson for his substance abuse battle. Really low to do that, IMO.

I’m glad Knight is getting help, & maybe his courage will help some others to do the same. Maybe Price’s story helped him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad