Miscellaneous NHL Discussion XC: Stoppage Time Not Required

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017

On the topic of why teams have trouble defending leads. An interesting answer by Yzerman to what could've been a HockeyGuy™ softball question: they're not structured enough, blah blah, effort, blah blah, poor fundamentals, blah blah, youth.

He said the offense in this league has evolved so much that the defense is having trouble adjusting. It's a transitionary point in the league. How aggressive defensemen are in pinching, the tightness of forechecks, the positional fluidity in switching, emphasis on possession. To quote: "The offensive side of coaching has overtaken the defensive side." This feels obvious.....but yes!

Besides the thought I'd die laughing listening to Fletcher discuss anything philosophical about hockey, this 2 minute interview might as well be putting the Flyers on blast. We have a GM who flagellates himself anytime the topic of offense comes up -- you'd never guess the Flyers score the fewest goals/game with the worst PP. The offense has overtaken the defense, so emphasize only defense -- and an outdated definition of defense? Hire a coach who openly says he is next to useless in offensive strategies, when the offensive side of coaching is tantamount? It's not news to us the Flyers are a backward organization, but it's nice when other GMs spell out how much.

Jeez I wish he kept going lol. The Whole time he was talking I couldn’t help but compare what he said to what we do. It’s just the complete opposite. I wonder when we will transition to this style, if ever. We need to start drsfting players that fit this mold, especially on defense. We need the minty, zellweger, Hughes type defensemen badly

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

On the topic of why teams have trouble defending leads. An interesting answer by Yzerman to what could've been a HockeyGuy™ softball question: they're not structured enough, blah blah, effort, blah blah, poor fundamentals, blah blah, youth.

He said the offense in this league has evolved so much that the defense is having trouble adjusting. It's a transitionary point in the league. How aggressive defensemen are in pinching, the tightness of forechecks, the positional fluidity in switching, emphasis on possession. To quote: "The offensive side of coaching has overtaken the defensive side." This feels obvious.....but yes!

Besides the thought I'd die laughing listening to Fletcher discuss anything philosophical about hockey, this 2 minute interview might as well be putting the Flyers on blast. We have a GM who flagellates himself anytime the topic of offense comes up -- you'd never guess the Flyers score the fewest goals/game with the worst PP. The offense has overtaken the defense, so emphasize only defense -- and an outdated definition of defense? Hire a coach who openly says he is next to useless in offensive strategies, when the offensive side of coaching is tantamount? It's not news to us the Flyers are a backward organization, but it's nice when other GMs spell out how much.

And we are stuck watching Fletcher and Flahr and Tortorella trying to bring back 2012.

All that offensive pressure? The effective dman activation? That requires putting pucks away from the boards. And not a single person running the Flyers can ponder that without having their brains flash-boil.

It's also the most disappointing/frustrating thing about Hakstol. Back when he was hired, he talked about doing this stuff. He talked a big game that spelled out what would really blatantly be a huge step forward and a great means of shattering the defensive side of the game as it existed then. I was very excited for it. But then when it came time to execute the Big Talk, he did just about the exact opposite of what he preached. Even while having the appropriate talent to make it happen! In fact, that was the kind of player he wanted the least.

If people managing the Flyers had discovered germs in the 19th century, they'd have addressed that issue by coating their hands in feces before performing surgery instead of following through on the clear obvious path.

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
Yeah, it never seems to be the person who’s actually getting insulted that makes a big fuss about stuff like this. It’s always other random people getting worked up on their behalf.

Shit, I’ve been called 1000000x worse just today while playing Call of Duty and all it did was make me smile. :laugh:
Really it's a half step up from being heckled by some random fan in the stands. Given that it's Edwards it might actually just be on that same level, lol.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Most likely he’ll be put on blood thinners for a while. Can’t see him playing while that’s happening.
There also was a report that he has a hole in his heart. If that’s true and needs attention, he’s going to be out for a while.
He should just effing retire. There's nothing more to be achieved and also don't you want to enjoy the money you made while your brain hasn't turned into mush yet.

Don Nachbaur 26

Jun 23, 2008
Mount Joy, PA
He should just effing retire. There's nothing more to be achieved and also don't you want to enjoy the money you made while your brain hasn't turned into mush yet.
Can't believve Hextall signed him to that extension, at that age and with the injury history. He should've chased his agent around like Rob Brown when he got the first contract proposal. Scare him a little.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Jordan Binnington was credited with a hit tonight. :eyeroll: Only the 4th goalie to be given a hit stat.
Man, brings back memories. I remember back in college, we were losing like 6-1 to the top team in the league; they hadn't lost a league game in a couple years. I was pissed off, and they dumped the puck into the corner. I waited to go out and play the puck and timed it perfectly so that I absolutely laid out their forward that went after the puck. No one knew what to do because it was technically it clean it, he played the puck. It was great moment lol.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Man, brings back memories. I remember back in college, we were losing like 6-1 to the top team in the league; they hadn't lost a league game in a couple years. I was pissed off, and they dumped the puck into the corner. I waited to go out and play the puck and timed it perfectly so that I absolutely laid out their forward that went after the puck. No one knew what to do because it was technically it clean it, he played the puck. It was great moment lol.
This reminds me of my last soccer game I ever played. I was the goalie and playing in a tournament where we had legitimately 8 kids because it was during some holiday week. The other team had twenty.

We got lit up and every time I made a save one of their players would come in spikes high while sliding near me as I gathered the ball.

I appealed to the ref and said to do something about it. He didn’t.

Last few minutes of the game a ball rolled to me I went to grab it moving away from my net and saw the kid coming in to do the same shit so I used my momentum to drive my shoulder into the guys head and launch myself.

I got a red card. My coach made us all walk off the field because the ref wasn’t protecting me.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
This reminds me of my last soccer game I ever played. I was the goalie and playing in a tournament where we had legitimately 8 kids because it was during some holiday week. The other team had twenty.

We got lit up and every time I made a save one of their players would come in spikes high while sliding near me as I gathered the ball.

I appealed to the ref and said to do something about it. He didn’t.

Last few minutes of the game a ball rolled to me I went to grab it moving away from my net and saw the kid coming in to do the same shit so I used my momentum to drive my shoulder into the guys head and launch myself.

I got a red card. My coach made us all walk off the field because the ref wasn’t protecting me.
Being a goalie and doing dick things like this was great

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
Coyotes have more creativity than we do. I cannot fathom why we NEVER did this…

Ghost and chychrun on pp1. Ghost is at the point and chychrun on the right for those one timers. I don’t know why we never had ghost in that spot just unleashing one timers..he has the best slapper on a team that desperately needed more shooting in their pp.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
Coyotes have more creativity than we do. I cannot fathom why we NEVER did this…

Ghost and chychrun on pp1. Ghost is at the point and chychrun on the right for those one timers. I don’t know why we never had ghost in that spot just unleashing one timers..he has the best slapper on a team that desperately needed more shooting in their pp.
phhhfffttt.... didnt you hear. hes clearly not a nhl player cuz not 1 gm wanted him..

LOOOLL..

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad