Miscellaneous NHL Discussion XC: Stoppage Time Not Required

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
I was just thinking last week how I used to get pissed for a while after a loss to the Pens. Now I just don't care. It's sad that it's come to this
100%. It was always a game you looked forward too, win or lose. I don't even want to go to flyer games when they come to socal too which sucks. It was an annual trip me and the fam did but now we spend our time wisely lol

Reactions: Strawberry Fields

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
I felt sick after that game. Kinda prefer the current state where I feel nothing after wins or losses.

Man, I remember watching that game in my bedroom in Pittsburgh on one of those shitty like, 360p illegal streams of that era. Disconnecting all other devices from the wifi so it would come in clearer, like I was bending the antenna towards the window. Chainsmoking throughout. My roommate wondering what I was getting so amped up about. My roommate asking me to please stop smoking indoors or to at least open my window.

I was just thinking last week how I used to get pissed for a while after a loss to the Pens. Now I just don't care. It's sad that it's come to this

...and in the same boat, living out there and for the years after, Flyers-Pens games used to dictate my week. If they won I was the king of the f***ing block, walk into my corner bar in my orange and black cap and dare you to bring up the game. If they lost I knew I was eating shit from the rest of the room for the next few days.

It feels weird to be nostalgic for shitty blurry hockey streams on an old laptop, or a bar argument after a rivalry game. But I think it's mostly just missing when this shit felt like it had stakes. When you felt like the Flyers were A Thing and that by being a diehard, you were part of that Thing.

Last week I was disappointed when the Penguins didn't beat them by more. It feels like I've lost an old friend, or a piece of myself. Crazy what these dang sports do to ya, I tell ya.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

6 points in 9 games, 4th line ice time.

@BigToe

The more interesting player is the guy who passed to him, Hronek.
He's certainly turned it around, first 245 games of his career (over 4 seasons), - 95. This season, +10.

I'd point out that Berggren dominated the SHL at age 20, 49g 12-33 45, yet Detroit kept him in the AHL for a full season despite 70g 21-43 64 but -18, and started him in the AHL this season. So much for other teams "rushing" prospects.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
4th line ice time? How about 22:01.
He's certainly turned it around, first 245 games of his career (over 4 seasons), - 95.

It’s adorable when you’re so gung ho to debate that you don’t even get the topic right. :laugh:

Does he get PP time?

Yes, PP2. He has 3 PPP already, always a natural there. Would be good for the 3rd on the Flyers! He could play slot between Tippett and Bellows.

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
The more interesting player is the guy who passed to him, Hronek.
He's certainly turned it around, first 245 games of his career (over 4 seasons), - 95. This season, +10.

I'd point out that Berggren dominated the SHL at age 20, 49g 12-33 45, yet Detroit kept him in the AHL for a full season despite 70g 21-43 64 but -18, and started him in the AHL this season. So much for other teams "rushing" prospects.
5h47LsEYbofzcgOz19.gif

Reactions: Cody Webster

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
I think he already had a minor stroke once before. I think he was out for better part of the season though.
Most likely he’ll be put on blood thinners for a while. Can’t see him playing while that’s happening.
There also was a report that he has a hole in his heart. If that’s true and needs attention, he’s going to be out for a while.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Late here but imo Edwards' Maroon comment was unprofessional at worst. Really doubt any pro athlete is gonna care about being called fat by some blowhard.
Yeah, it never seems to be the person who’s actually getting insulted that makes a big fuss about stuff like this. It’s always other random people getting worked up on their behalf.

Shit, I’ve been called 1000000x worse just today while playing Call of Duty and all it did was make me smile. :laugh:

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Yeah, it never seems to be the person who’s actually getting insulted that makes a big fuss about stuff like this. It’s always other random people getting worked up on their behalf.

Shit, I’ve been called 1000000x worse just today while playing Call of Duty and all it did was make me smile. :laugh:
Did anyone call you the Brazil of this message board though?

Nothing cuts deeper than that.

• Wow
Reactions: Strawberry Fields

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
Scary stuff.

Didn't he have blood clot problems in the past? Very much related if so. Awful news.

EDIT: no, septal defect. Also looking like a TIA judging by symptoms ("migraine headache"), colloquially a "mini stroke", which although still scary is less harmful in the short and long term than a full blown stroke, and also more in line with an acute under-perfusion episode you could expect in patients with a septal defect.

But multiple TIAs put you at much higher risk for stroke

Last edited:

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

On the topic of why teams have trouble defending leads. An interesting answer by Yzerman to what could've been a HockeyGuy™ softball question: they're not structured enough, blah blah, effort, blah blah, poor fundamentals, blah blah, youth.

He said the offense in this league has evolved so much that the defense is having trouble adjusting. It's a transitionary point in the league. How aggressive defensemen are in pinching, the tightness of forechecks, the positional fluidity in switching, emphasis on possession. To quote: "The offensive side of coaching has overtaken the defensive side." This feels obvious.....but yes!

Besides the thought I'd die laughing listening to Fletcher discuss anything philosophical about hockey, this 2 minute interview might as well be putting the Flyers on blast. We have a GM who flagellates himself anytime the topic of offense comes up -- you'd never guess the Flyers score the fewest goals/game with the worst PP. The offense has overtaken the defense, so emphasize only defense -- and an outdated definition of defense? Hire a coach who openly says he is next to useless in offensive strategies, when the offensive side of coaching is tantamount? It's not news to us the Flyers are a backward organization, but it's nice when other GMs spell out how much.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018

On the topic of why teams have trouble defending leads. An interesting answer by Yzerman to what could've been a HockeyGuy™ softball question: they're not structured enough, blah blah, effort, blah blah, poor fundamentals, blah blah, youth.

He said the offense in this league has evolved so much that the defense is having trouble adjusting. It's a transitionary point in the league. How aggressive defensemen are in pinching, the tightness of forechecks, the positional fluidity in switching, emphasis on possession. To quote: "The offensive side of coaching has overtaken the defensive side." This feels obvious.....but yes!

Besides the thought I'd die laughing listening to Fletcher discuss anything philosophical about hockey, this whole 1.5 minute interview might as well be putting the Flyers on blast. We have a GM who flagellates himself anytime the topic of offense comes up -- you'd never guess the Flyers score the fewest goals/game with the worst PP. The offense has overtaken the defense, so emphasize only defense? Hire a coach who openly says he is next to useless in offensive strategies? It's not news to us the Flyers are a backward organization; it's just nice when other GMs spell out how much.

It's the typical reactive strategy employed by any one completely out of touch. We lose games? We need to give up less goals. Too many shots? Get shot blockers. Bad PK? Get better PKers. Too many lost board battles? Get tougher players.

Orange team is a decade behind the times, and that's not an exaggeration. So naturally when they react to these issues, they just compound outdated philosophy after philosophy since they're incapable of even recognizing core issues, let alone solve them.

It's just a net of braindead patchwork, like a cheap house flip

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
It's the typical reactive strategy employed by any one completely out of touch. We lose games? We need to give up less goals. Too many shots? Get shot blockers. Bad PK? Get better PKers. Too many lost board battles? Get tougher players.

Orange team is a decade behind the times, and that's not an exaggeration. So naturally when they react to these issues, they just compound outdated philosophy after philosophy since they're incapable of even recognizing core issues, let alone solve them.

It's just a net of braindead patchwork, like a cheap house flip

To large degree defense is just an offensive arms race to play less defense and put more pressure on the opponent. I'm not saying good defensive technique doesn't exist and that certain coaches don't understand it better and that evolving defense on the coaching side isn't an interesting topic. But a lot of it is hockey coming to grips with what good defense actually means, instead of chasing ghosts.

But it is an offensive league right now, with more talent than ever, and the best coaches understand the game the best offensively. To go further than Yzerman, I'm not sure what the transition part even means. Short of rule changes, it seems closer to new normal. It's not unique to hockey: across pretty much all major sports today, offense is the evolutionary trendsetter (I guess except with pitching freaks in MLB, but throwing 103mph is its own offense in a way)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad