Miscellaneous NHL Discussion LXXXVIII: The Liaison of Doom

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
A list of Best Players Drafted By Flyers is kinda grim. Just spitballing an unserious sketch real quick without digging deep, yes I know someone must be missing:

1) Clarke
2) Forsberg (I don't know that he even counts)
3) Giroux
4) Propp
5) Barber
6) Brindamour
7) Couturier
8) Tocchet
9) Hextall
10) Gagne

I should have stopped at 8, really, because after Tocchet you get into the Richards/Carter/Gagne/Ghost/Pitkanen/Provorov/Sanheim/Cechmanek/Hextall/Lindbergh/Renberg/Therien tiers where I don't know how to separate any of them far from each other. You run out of distinct clear-cut star names pretty quickly for a team that has been as competitive as the Flyers were for so many years running over decades. You look at that list and a ton of big names are missing; well, they were drafted by other teams or went undrafted. You'd think a team that was mostly competitive for most of 4 decades would have a more glamorous list than that.

So it becomes easy to see why this team run by dinosaurs from those eras just can't manage to take the draft seriously. They've mostly avoided relying on it; that's the experience of all these breathing fossils. It's shot them in the foot endlessly; even teams that tried to buy their way to Cups along with the Flyers still relied more on the draft and it often gave them more complete teams than the Flyers could ever assemble. The draft has only become far more important with the cap, and the Flyers haven't changed almost at all. Here in 2022 a ton of the big names on the roster are from elsewhere, which is probably why the cap situation is a dumpster of shambles.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
A list of Best Players Drafted By Flyers is kinda grim. Just spitballing an unserious sketch real quick without digging deep, yes I know someone must be missing:

1) Clarke
3) Giroux
4) Propp
5) Barber
6) Brindamour
7) Couturier
8) Tocchet
9) Hextall
10) Gagne

I should have stopped at 8, really, because after Tocchet you get into the Richards/Carter/Gagne/Ghost/Pitkanen/Provorov/Sanheim/Cechmanek/Hextall/Lindbergh/Renberg/Therien tiers where I don't know how to separate any of them far from each other. You run out of distinct clear-cut star names pretty quickly for a team that has been as competitive as the Flyers were for so many years running over decades. You look at that list and a ton of big names are missing; well, they were drafted by other teams or went undrafted. You'd think a team that was mostly competitive for most of 4 decades would have a more glamorous list than that.

So it becomes easy to see why this team run by dinosaurs from those eras just can't manage to take the draft seriously. They've mostly avoided relying on it. It's shot them in the foot endlessly; even teams that tried to buy their way to Cups along with the Flyers still relied more on the draft and it often gave them more complete teams than the Flyers could ever assemble. The draft has only become far more important with the cap, and the Flyers haven't changed almost at all. Here in 2022 a ton of the big names on the roster are from elsewhere, which is probably why the cap situation is a dumpster of shambles.

0 Hextall picks.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City

1) Clarke
3) Giroux
4) Propp
5) Barber
6) Brindamour
7) Couturier
8) Tocchet
9) Hextall
10) Gagne

So it becomes easy to see why this team run by dinosaurs from those eras just can't manage to take the draft seriously. They've mostly avoided relying on it; that's the experience of all these breathing fossils. It's shot them in the foot endlessly; even teams that tried to buy their way to Cups along with the Flyers still relied more on the draft and it often gave them more complete teams than the Flyers could ever assemble. The draft has only become far more important with the cap, and the Flyers haven't changed almost at all. Here in 2022 a ton of the big names on the roster are from elsewhere, which is probably why the cap situation is a dumpster of shambles.
Flyers didn't draft Brindy. ;)

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Born in 1973. He’s disqualified.
threaten-rage.gif

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

1) Clarke
3) Giroux
4) Propp
5) Barber
6) Brindamour
7) Couturier
8) Tocchet
9) Hextall
10) Gagne

1) Clarke is not even in the top 10, let alone #1
2) Ghost is in the top 3. Possibly top 2.
3) The Flyers had nothing to do with Forsbergs development, so he doesn't count. He's as much their pick as a draft and trade in the NBA remains the pick of the team that technically drafted them.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

1) Clarke
3) Giroux
4) Propp
5) Barber
6) Brindamour
7) Couturier
8) Tocchet
9) Hextall
10) Gagne

I look at the list and I see how there’s zero defensemen. And yet, they still drafted better before the salary cap, when the draft became more important.

Also Brind’Amour was traded here so you’re gonna have to make a choice.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
1) Clarke is not even in the top 10, let alone #1
2) Ghost is in the top 3. Possibly top 2.
3) The Flyers had nothing to do with Forsbergs development, so he doesn't count. He's as much their pick as a draft and trade in the NBA remains the pick of the team that technically drafted them.
Put down the schtick pipe.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I look at the list and I see how there’s zero defensemen. And yet, they still drafted better before the salary cap, when the draft became more important.

Also Brind’Amour was traded here so you’re gonna have to make a choice.

The choice is that the list just goes to 9, because I'm not gonna sort that out.

Before Ghost/Provorov/Sanheim were drafted, the standout Flyers dmen drafted were Watson, Therien, and Pitkanen. Which is probably how our soul-blistering 2013 defense was:

Timonen
Streit
Schenn
Meszaros
Coburn
GrossmannnnnnnnnnnNNNNN
MacDonald

Which was the most expensive defense in the league by a good bit, and kinda sorta sucked an earthy one relative to price.

• Haha
Reactions: Rebels57 and Tripod

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
0 Hextall picks.

Of note, the ridiculous slob who conned 18 years of GM tenure out of the team only has two picks on that list: Giroux and Gagne, and I'm not about to give him credit for Giroux because he was so checked out that he didn't even know who he was. Clarke really was an overall failure of a GM.

And that's the guy who is allowed to stuff the organization with his slackjawed cronies.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The choice is that the list just goes to 9, because I'm not gonna sort that out.

Before Ghost/Provorov/Sanheim were drafted, the standout Flyers dmen drafted were Watson, Therien, and Pitkanen. Which is probably how our soul-blistering 2013 defense was:

Timonen
Streit
Schenn
Meszaros
Coburn
GrossmannnnnnnnnnnNNNNN
MacDonald

Which was the most expensive defense in the league by a good bit, and kinda sorta sucked an earthy one relative to price.
Looking at defenseman only here, pre-2006:

Pitkanen, he was good and then soured on quickly for the exact reasons you’d expect. Same with Janne Niinimaa. Both played in a way you weren’t supposed to so it was not a shock neither became as good as they could’ve been and were both gone in a shocking amount of time given when they excelled.

Seidenberg was a very good player, but obviously did all his work after leaving.

Therien was obviously here a long time. On his playing record alone, he is probably someone who eventually should be FHOF.

Gord Murphy seemed fine? Played more with the Panthers.

Miroslav Dvorak was a good player but just wasn’t in the NHL long enough. I guess he and Thomas Eriksson would rather go home than play for Keenan.

Behn Wilson was clearly good but he was gone at age 25 and out of the league by 30.

Tom Bladon has a similar offensive record as Wilson, but I don’t think he is regarded as someone who is upper-tier, because Flyers.

Watson may not have been an elite-level guy, but given the record of drafting here, he was a part of 2 Cup winners, as was Bladon. So by default those two are probably the best, which tracks because they were consecutive picks.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Looking at defenseman only here, pre-2006:

Pitkanen, he was good and then soured on quickly for the exact reasons you’d expect. Same with Janne Niinimaa. Both played in a way you weren’t supposed to so it was not a shock neither became as good as they could’ve been and were both gone in a shocking amount of time given when they excelled.

Seidenberg was a very good player, but obviously did all his work after leaving.

Therien was obviously here a long time. On his playing record alone, he is probably someone who eventually should be FHOF.

Gord Murphy seemed fine? Played more with the Panthers.

Miroslav Dvorak was a good player but just wasn’t in the NHL long enough. I guess he and Thomas Eriksson would rather go home than play for Keenan.

Behn Wilson was clearly good but he was gone at age 25 and out of the league by 30.

Tom Bladon has a similar offensive record as Wilson, but I don’t think he is regarded as someone who is upper-tier, because Flyers.

Watson may not have been an elite-level guy, but given the record of drafting here, he was a part of 2 Cup winners, as was Bladon. So by default those two are probably the best, which tracks because they were consecutive picks.

Totally forgot about Seidenberg. Ugh.

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002

Three rookie D-men in their lineup. Meanwhile the 29th "best" team is rolling with Nick Seeler.

Xhekaj must have had the best training camp from an overager turned pro since Twarynski. That's quite a jump for him.

As a Bulldogs fan who saw a lot of him, I love Xhehaj’s game. Skates well, shoots hard, huge, tough, competes, smart. I am not surprised he cracked the Habs’ roster, he’s a beast.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
As a Bulldogs fan who saw a lot of him, I love Xhehaj’s game. Skates well, shoots hard, huge, tough, competes, smart. I am not surprised he cracked the Habs’ roster, he’s a beast.
Montreal easily has the worst blueline in the league though. Young but potentially really bad. I was just looking at opening night rosters. Woof.

Vancouver is close though. Hughes and whatever is left of OEL.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I hear nothing but good things about him.

Also apparently he’s the first player in NHL history with a last name starting with X. Surprised no one’s ever had a last name of Xavier.

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
If Tampa loses another defender or two to injury they gonna be hurting, they lost Rutta to FA, traded McDonagh, Bogosian is out with offseason surgery probably until after the new year and Ian Cole is suspended indefinitely after the allegations made against him.

All of a sudden Tampa is looking very thin on the defense.

That Fleury - Myers 3rd pairing has looked terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad