Miscellaneous NHL Discussion LXXXV: Halfway to Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Keep trying to polish the Cuck turd
Sakic traded a 1st and Timmins (top D prospect) for one season of Kuemper,
Then traded for Georgiev to replace Kuemper.
Gave up a 3rd and 5th and signed him to a 3yr/$10.2M extension.

Georgiev
2021-22: 33g -6.8 GSAE
2020-21: 19g -7.2 GSAE
2019-20: 34g -0.1 GSAE
2018-19: 33g -1.5 GSAE

The Goalie market is very different than the market for skaters.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
We really still don’t have a good Goalie metric. It feels nice and clean to say there are the top X guys and then everyone else, but then I remember how John Gibson was the only one everyone agreed was consistently good and he responded by immediately turning into a pumpkin.

If you’ve got to use something, I guess it’s a combination of Goals Saved Above Expected and High Danger…something? I think I’m still most sure Hellebuyck is good.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Sakic traded a 1st and Timmins (top D prospect) for one season of Kuemper,
Then traded for Georgiev to replace Kuemper.
Gave up a 3rd and 5th and signed him to a 3yr/$10.2M extension.

Georgiev
2021-22: 33g -6.8 GSAE
2020-21: 19g -7.2 GSAE
2019-20: 34g -0.1 GSAE
2018-19: 33g -1.5 GSAE

The Goalie market is very different than the market for skaters.

So Fletcher and Sakic are the same, or what are we doing with this huge omission of context.

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
We really still don’t have a good Goalie metric. It feels nice and clean to say there are the top X guys and then everyone else, but then I remember how John Gibson was the only one everyone agreed was consistently good and he responded by immediately turning into a pumpkin.

If you’ve got to use something, I guess it’s a combination of Goals Saved Above Expected and High Danger…something? I think I’m still most sure Hellebuyck is good.
I think something that doesn't show up in most of the stats and what really separates good goalies and great goalies is consistency. There are countless examples of goalies putting up fantastic stats for short periods of time, and I am sure there are multiple reasons why a guy is capable of that, but when you have a goalie that can consistently play above average year over year it is a skill that becomes worth something. I guess one of the issues is that by the team you figure that out these guys get to an age where the contract is hardly worth it. Timing is everything with guaranteed contracts, so a goalie contract that is worth it is relative.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Don’t get how he gives Letang that horrid deal but let’s Shrek walk ? Hard ball with both was the right call.

Hope Malkin signs with Canes and they pump the Pens.

It makes sense if they replace Malkin, IMO.

Also I'd rather pay Letang than Malkin anyway. I think Letang's contract is a sweetheart AAV, but 3 years too many (which can be LTIR'd probably - so meh I don't think it's so bad). Pens will be bad after Sid retires anyway probably, so why not go for it again now :🤷:

BUT if the Pens leave this offseason with Sid-Carter as their 1-2 centers, then I agree they messed up (though Malkin is hurt so much, it almost never was Sid-Geno the last 2 years anyway).

Edit: Just saw the Rakell contract. Hexy f***ed up.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The other thing with goalies is coming up big in the playoffs.
Hart outdueling Price at 21 will buy him a lot of patience with the Flyers, because a goalie who can rise to the occasion in the playoffs is priceless.

Reactions: Devonator

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
I think something that doesn't show up in most of the stats and what really separates good goalies and great goalies is consistency. There are countless examples of goalies putting up fantastic stats for short periods of time, and I am sure there are multiple reasons why a guy is capable of that, but when you have a goalie that can consistently play above average year over year it is a skill that becomes worth something. I guess one of the issues is that by the team you figure that out these guys get to an age where the contract is hardly worth it. Timing is everything with guaranteed contracts, so a goalie contract that is worth it is relative.

This was the pro-Gibson argument. Everyone else had a down year thrown in here and there.

For the record, I agreed with you. Now I’m back to shoulder shrugs.

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
This was the pro-Gibson argument. Everyone else had a down year thrown in here and there.

For the record, I agreed with you. Now I’m back to shoulder shrugs.
It is also a great lesson that goalies are f***ing weird and it's almost never a good idea to sign one with term.

It really is a fantastic position (I play it). Sakic got fleeced for Kuemper after letting Grubauer walk and ended up winning the cup as a result. It can screw a team over in so many ways. You're just as likely to end up getting screwed by a big contract as you are saved by some rookie on an ELC. There really doesn't seem to be some magic formula besides "have some options"

Imagine defending the Murray deal ,,,

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City

Transition and clear path save percentage, too.

Goalies are hard, but the ones who can stop more pucks that are clear looks at the net tend to be the most reliable. Problem is, there's year over year consistency issues with this evaluation, too. :laugh:

I love coming home from an evening out and seeing GMs not named Chuck Fletcher make astoundingly risky and/or astoundingly stupid moves. If only Fletcher wasn't going one for one with the rest of the league... :help:

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
I believe the youths call this "Doing The YOLO"

lit-its.gif

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
I think the reality is you'll never be able to quantify a position (goalie) that is both so dependent on both a persons mental state, the defence in front of them and luck.

A string of games where pucks get tipped in unstoppable ways, or a few games full of defensive breakdowns and suddenly ou are in a slump and pressing and it effects your game.

Or a couple pucks through traffic hir somebody in the ass or hit a post and don't go in when you didn't have it. Suddenly you are on a high and playing loose and everything seems easy.

Plus I think if you play on a bad defensive team that is constantly getting hemmed and giving up grade A chances, it's just going to mentally wear you out over the course of a season.

I don't know hoe you could ever account for most of that in a way that would help you predict for future success.

ellja3

May 19, 2014
Ķekava, Latvia
I think the reality is you'll never be able to quantify a position (goalie) that is both so dependent on both a persons mental state, the defence in front of them and luck.

A string of games where pucks get tipped in unstoppable ways, or a few games full of defensive breakdowns and suddenly ou are in a slump and pressing and it effects your game.

Or a couple pucks through traffic hir somebody in the ass or hit a post and don't go in when you didn't have it. Suddenly you are on a high and playing loose and everything seems easy.

Plus I think if you play on a bad defensive team that is constantly getting hemmed and giving up grade A chances, it's just going to mentally wear you out over the course of a season.

I don't know hoe you could ever account for most of that in a way that would help you predict for future success.

You are digging really deep and I essentially agree with everything you wrote; but it starts even with simple stuff such as classifying how dangerous the shots are. Ovi's slap shot from ''his territory'' being quantified the same as Hagg's salami-whip from same spot that's about to go 5 kilometers wide. Correct me if I am wrong, of course.

Reactions: GapToothedWonder

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
  • Monday, July 11, 5 p.m. ET: Qualifying offers due to RFAs
  • Tuesday, July 12: RFAs can be contacted for offer sheet discussion
  • Tuesday, July 12, 5 p.m. ET: First buyout window closes
  • Tuesday, July 12, 11:59 p.m. ET: UFAs lose ability to re-sign for eight years
  • Wednesday, July 13, 12 p.m. ET: UFA/RFA signing period opens.

Reactions: Harold Bingo

Flyerfan18

Dec 2, 2017
It makes me sick to my stomach to think Chicago will probably get Bedard and rebuild back to being a perennial cup contender before we even begin a rebuild
Chicago can get Bedard, won’t matter The tear down they have started ensures they become the next Sabres or Coyotes. An irrelevant franchise for at least a decade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad